Author Topic: Sleeping With the Enemy  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Sleeping With the Enemy
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »
Sleeping with the Enemy

In this suspenseful romantic thriller, Julia Roberts stars as Laura, a young woman who thinks she's found the man of her dreams in Martin (Patrick Bergin). But after they are married, Laura discovers the "real" Martin: compulsive, controlling and dangerously violent. Faking her own death, Laura starts life over in a small Midwestern town. But even with a new identity, Laura lives in fear, stalked by the memory of Martin's brutality-a memory that terrifyingly comes to life when he discovers she is still alive.

My Thoughts

I first saw this movie back when the movie was first released in theaters.  I didn't realize at that time that the movie was based on a book.  I guess I didn't pay attention to the credits.  I did end up reading the book later.  The basic story is the same, though several minor things have been changed.  Some things in the book make more sense and some things in the movie make more sense.

The plot is interesting, though nothing that surprising happens.  Things that happen are predictable, but the movie is still interesting and entertaining.  I think the movie works as a good thriller, though there really isn't much mystery to what is going on.  Suspense and tension build over some scenes, especially later in the movie.  The movie manages to make canned food in a cabinet and hanging towels seem menacing.  There really isn't any action to what is going on, and some scenes do move a bit slower.  That doesn't bother me, but some people may feel differently.

Julia Roberts does a good job as Laura/Sara and is believable in the part.  I think this was one of the first movies I saw her in.  Laura's husband Martin is a complete jerk.  There is an attempt to make him look good guy at first, but there is just something about him that I didn't like at that point even the first time I saw the movie.  Patrick Bergin does a great job with the part, making Martin a horrible character that I hate.  This is the first movie I've seen Bergin in and I've really identified him with the part.  It is hard for me to see him play nice guys because of that.

I have lost track of how many times I've seen this movie.  I still really enjoy it and think it has held up well and is still worth watching.

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Sleeping With the Enemy