Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's September Birthday Marathon  (Read 32028 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2DVD's September Birthday Marathon
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 01:52:09 AM »
 :laugh: figures! While it is a little weird to see now... with all the effects we are capable of today. It still entertaining to see in this serial. It has a kind of a charm to it.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2010, 03:09:42 PM »
Planet of the Apes: The Complete TV Series
ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW
After passing through a time warp, astronauts Virdon and Burke crash land back on Earth in the year 3085 and find apes are now the dominant species.

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this today because of Roddy McDowall's birthday. I always liked the Planet of the Apes movies... and I believe I seen some of the episodes of the series when I was a kid. But for some reason after buying this complete series set back in 2006 I never bothered to watch it. I think I might have watched the first episode or two when I first got the set... but no more then that.

After watching this pilot today... I must say I do need to make my way to watching this series... I enjoyed this episode. I like that they changed it up a bit... allowing all humans to talk with ease. Watching this episode brought back memories of my childhood. I remember sitting on the floor watching this series... putting together a big Planet of the Apes jigsaw puzzle while watching. So not only does this show have some good entertainment value... it also offers nostalgic value for me as well.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2010, 04:05:16 PM »
21 Jump Street: The Complete First Season: Disc One
PILOT (PARTS 1 & 2)
Although he graduated at the top of his class in the police academy, Tommy Hanson’s baby face has made him a liability to his partners. Faced with the prospect of reassignment to a desk job, Hanson’s only other option is to go back to high school – undercover – with a special unit of the police force investigating criminal activity.

My Thoughts:
Watching this one for this thread today because it is Holly Robinson Peete's birthday.... and this is the first thing I ever seen her in so thought it was appropriate. As I post this I am still watching this 2-part episode.  As I have seen this many times over. Below is the review I wrote in my pilots thread...

I really enjoyed re-watching this pilot. They did a good job at introducing all the characters. I liked how it followed how Hanson got into the Jumpstreet program. I kinda wish it showed that for all the characters... but they had so a good and already full 2-part pilot episode that I can understand why they didn't. When I originally watched this show I never cared for the hippie captain of the Jumpstreet program. But I did get used to him. And no sooner I got used to him they replaced him. Go figure!

My Rating:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2010, 04:10:15 PM »
I saw Holly on a talk show recently...I think it was an episode of The Bonnie Hunt Show, which must've been one of the last episodes as it's been canceled and is now off the air.  I never saw this show...I did see a sitcom she was in, though...Hangin' With Mr. Cooper.  :tv:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »
NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service: The Complete First Season
N.C.I.S.: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON  follows an elite team of special agents who operate outside the military chain of command. Led by Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs (Mark Harmon), a tough, highly skilled investigator who's willing to bend the rules to get the job done, this tight-knit crew travel the world investigating everything from murder and espionage to terrorism and kidnapping in this 6-disc set featuring all 23 pulse-pounding episodes from this unique and dynamic show that's "...taught, smart and wonderfully unpredictable."

My Thoughts:
With today being David McCallum's birthday I decided to watch some episodes of the first season of NCIS. As normal once I start watching this series I just don't want to stop. Today I ended up watching two full disc of the show. That is 8 episodes. On this show David McCallum plays "Ducky" the medical examiner for NCIS.  Loved every minute of watching these episodes today!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »
The Secrets of Isis: The Complete Series: Disc 1
She was Saturday morning's first live-action super heroine, saving lives and stopping crime in a mini-skirt and go-go boots on THE SECRETS OF ISIS! When science teacher Andrea Thomas unearthed a lost treasure on an archaeological dig, she found that the mystical amulet endowed her with the powers given to the ancient Egyptian Goddess, Isis! Now granted the powers of animals and the elements, Isis soared as the falcon soared, ran with the speed of gazelles, and commanded the elements of the sky and the earth. Although her secret identity was unknown to even her closest friends, fellow teacher Rick Mason, or students Cindy Lee and Rennie Carol, Andrea used her powers as Isis to stop criminals, save lives, right wrongs, and teach valuable lessons... Sometimes with the aid of fellow hero Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!).

Now available on DVD for the first time, the entire two seasons of THE SECRETS OF ISIS contains a treasure-trove of special features, and all the super-powered goodness that the heroine represented. Now, you too can be the heir to... THE SECRETS OF ISIS!

#01 - The Lights of Mystery Mountain
Cindy Lee comes to school with photos she took o f UFOs over the mountains, and tales of missing people. Andrea and Rick help investigate the mysterious disappearances, using science and the magical powers of Isis!

#02 - Fool's Dare
Andrea's car is stolen by car thieves, and Cindy Lee takes a dare to sneak into an auto wrecking yard. Only the power of Isis can save the young girl... and recover her own alter ego's car!

My Thoughts:
For today I decided to revisit my childhood and watch Secrets of Isis. Joanna Cameron who plays Andrea/Isis turned 59 today. This show really brings back a lot of memories of me sitting in front of the TV on Saturday mornings watching all kinds of cartoons all day long. So today I watched the first 2 episodes of the series. It is fun in a nostalgic sort of way... but isn't something I would recommend to someone that didn't grow up with the series.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
Numb3rs: The Complete First Season: Disc 1
We all use mathematics every day...but in a world of body counts, multiple criminal masterminds, and percentages involving perpetrators who may act again, figures are especially valuable. This is the world of NUMB3RS. Rob Morrow is Don Eppes, an FBI agent who recruits his mathematically gifted brother Charlie (David Krumholtz) to help the Bureau solve a wide range of challenging crimes in Los Angeles - thus tackling the most baffling criminal cases from two very distinctive perspectives. This dynamic series depicts how the convergence of police work and mathematics provides unexpected revelations and answers to the most perplexing criminal questions. Enjoy all 13 compelling Season One episodes of Numb3rs in this premiere four-disc DVD collection.

Pilot
To help capture a serial rapist-turned-killer, FBI Special Agent Don Eppes (Rob Morrow) recruits his genius brother Charlie (David Krumholtz) who uses a mathematic equation to identify the killer's point of origin by working backward from the crime scene locations. Don's partner Terry Lake (Sabrina Lloyd) and new FBI recruit David Sinclair (Alimi Ballard) help untangle a web of clues and evidence; Charlie's involvement in crime-solving is questioned by his colleague, physicist Dr. Larry Fleinhardt (Peter MacNicol). And the Eppes brothers' father, Alan (Judd Hirsch), fears that his sons' competitive natures will lead to trouble.

Uncertainty Principle
Charlie accurately predicts where a band of bank robbers will trike next - but is shocked and withdraws from the case when Don and his team confront the criminals and a deadly gun battle ensues...

Vector
Don and Charlie begin a race against time when a lethal virus strikes various citizens of Los Angeles. Is it the result of bioterrorism ... or something even more sinister?

Structural Corruption
Charlie doesn't believe the death of a CalSci engineering student was a suicide and asks Don to investigate. The trail of clues leads to a high-rise complex that is a ticking time bomb.

My Thoughts:
For today I decided to watch Rob Marrow who is one of the lead actors in Numb3rs[/i]. This is a series I always enjoyed... watched the entire run on  TV... but for some reason I am very slow on getting the DVDs as I still only have the first season of the series. But it is enjoyable to watch now and then... and hope to get more seasons eventually.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:03 PM »
Smallville: The Complete Seventh Season: Disc 1
There are two CLARK KENTs. One is the young man whose life in a tiny Kansas town sets him on destiny's path. The other is a BIZARRO show shares Clark's DNA but not his values. Only one of them can survive.

SUPERMAN mythology grows deeper and more powerful in an event-packed season that includes the arrival of Clark's cousin KARA/SUPERGIRL. Keep a low profile and master your powers, Clark says. Kara has other ideas. Plus: LANA LANG might prefer Bizarro to the real deal. LOIS LANE makes a career leap. CHLOE SULLIVAN finds that balancing a meteor power with a personal life isn't easy. And LEX LUTHOR's power-lust has a new fixation - Kara. New characters and complications. New secrets and lore. New thrills and special effects. Power up to Season 7!

EPISODE 1: BIZARRO
A flood of excitement: Lois, Chloe and Lex are in peril after Reeves Dam breaks. The Phantom Zone escapee who absorbed Clark's DNAmust be stopped. But how? MARTINA MANHUNTER has an idea.

EPISODE 2: KARA
Blonde. Beautiful. Bad attitude. Kara may have some catching up to do after she stops trying to clobber Clark into the next millennium. After all, they're from the same Kryptonian family. Also: Lex finds Lana.

EPISODE 3: FIERCE
Clark councels Kara to keep a low profile and couches her on how to keep her powers in check. So she enters a swimsuited Miss Sweet Corn Pagent – not exactly what Clark intended. Love – and Lana – are back in Clark's life.

EPISODE 4: CURE
Got a meteor-rock problem? A neurosurgeon claims he can return meteor-infected people to normality. Lana hides a $10-million secret and Chloe and Jimmy face a rift in their togetherness.

My Thoughts:
With today being Laura Vandervoort's birthday... I had to watch her in Smallville. If you are sitting there thinking who? She is the one that played Kara/Supergirl. You can see her in the cover image above. I ended up watching the first disc of the season she was in. And enjoyed it quite a bit. I especially enjoyed the episode where she enters the beauty contest. It fit well today as the episode was centered around her quite a bit.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »
M*A*S*H: Season Eleven
Relive your favorite M*A*S*H moments with this three-disc DVD Collector's Edition containing all 16 classic episodes, including the two-hour series finale - "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen"!

They were the 4077 MASH (Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) unit stationed three miles from the front during the Korean War. Now, as reports that the war is almost over reach the 4077 with increasing frequency, the doctors and nurses begin to tentatively make plans about what they're going to do once they get back home. But until the guns fall silent, everyone must focus on taking care of the incoming wounded whose numbers increase as the fighting intensifies during the last weeks of the war. In the end, even though the canvas tents are torn down and the docs and nurses shipped stateside, one thing will always remain - the memory of undying laughter and boundless friendship in a time of war in a land far away from home.

GOODBYE, FAREWELL AND AMEN
Reports that the war is about to end reach the camp with increasing frequency, but for the doctors and nurses of the 4077, it's business as usual as more and more wounded soldiers continue to be choppered in every day.

My Thoughts:
I watched this today  because it is Rosalind Chao's 51st birthday. This the 2 hr. season finale she played Soon-Lee... the Korean woman that Klinger falls for. I enjoyed watching this one a lot. It really is a fantastic ending to a series that I have enjoyed for many years. It is no wonder to me that this one is considered one of the best series finales ever. Giving it two hours allowed them to do it right. Watching this today makes me want to watch the entire series run all over again... but there is no sense in starting that this close to October.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2010, 04:32:41 PM »
Three's Company: Season One
In the spring of 1977,  ABC network executives gave a six-episode "trial" run to a new sitcom called THREE'S COMPANY. Almost overnight, it became one of the biggest hits of the entire season and more than twenty-five years later, it remains one of the best-loved TV series of all time.

The beloved John Ritter stars as Jack Tripper (the role that won him and Emmy®, a Golden Globe and the hearts of millions), the ever-bumbling bachelor who shares an apartment with down-to-earth Janet Wood (Joyce DeWitt) and dim-bulb blonde Chrissy Snow (Suzanne Somers). Along with their sexually frustrated landlords the Ropers (Norman Fell and Audra Lindley) and Jack's fast-talking pal Larry (Richard Kline), these three outrageous roommates tripped and jiggled through a world of slapstick pratfalls, sexy misunderstanding and some of the most scandalously titillating comedy America had ever seen.

THREE'S COMPANY - SEASON ONE features the original six episodes - including the classic pilot - that started it all, now collected on DVD for the first time ever!

EPISODES:
1. A Man About the House
2. And Mother Makes Four
3. Roper's Niece
4. No Children, No Pets
5. Jack the Giant Killer
6. It's Only Money

My Thoughts:
With today being Audra Lindley's ( Mrs. Roper) birthday I thought I would revisit the first season of this classic sitcom. And I really enjoyed watching this one again. It is a series that held up well for me over the years. I still found myself laughing out loud at least once during each episode.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2010, 05:22:09 PM »

Title: The Pursuit of Happyness
Year: 2006
Director: Gabriele Muccino
Rating: PG-13
Length: 117 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Will Smith (1968)
Jaden Christopher Syre Smith
Thandie Newton
Brian Howe
James Karen
Dan Castellaneta

Plot:
Will Smith stars in the inspirational true story of Chris Gardner, a San Francisco salesman who's struggling to make ends meet. When his girlfriend Linda (Thandie Newton) walks out, Chris is left to raise their 5-year-old son Christopher (Jaden Smith) on his own. Chris' determination finally pays off when he lands an unpaid internship in a brutally competitive stockbroker-training program, where only one in twenty interns will make the cut. But without a salary, Chris and his son are evicted from their apartment and are forced to sleep on the streets, in homeless shelters and even behind the locked doors of a metro station bathroom. With self-confidence and the love and trust of his son, Chris Gardner rises above his obstacles to become a Wall Street legend.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Music Videos
Interviews
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Watching this today for Will Smith's birthday.

This is one that I never seen before. Going by the trailer alone I had concerns about this one as I don't normally care too much for the pure drama stories. But this one was good... it was very easy to get into the storyline. Both Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith (who play father and son in the movie) did a great job. While I enjoyed every minute of it... it is not a movie I could watch often as it can get you down.  But if you haven't seen this one yet... I urge you to give it a chance.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »
I liked this movie too Pete. I enjoy films that are based on true stories. It seems that I've been watching more of them and documentaries lately.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2010, 06:10:22 PM »
Yeah... I do enjoy watching the true stories too. Nice to finally have some in my collection that is non-horror... instead of just horror movies with the supposedly "Based on True Events" attached to it.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »

Title: Intolerable Cruelty
Year: 2003
Director: Joel Coen
Rating: PG-13
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
George Clooney
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Geoffrey Rush
Cedric the Entertainer
Edward Herrmann
Paul Adelstein

Plot:
It's comic gold as two of Hollywood's most dazzling stars – George Clooney and Academy Award®-winner* Catherine Zeta-Jones – light up the screen in Intolerable Cruelty, a hilarious romantic comedy about men, women, and everything that can go wrong between them. Sparks fly when brilliant divorce attorney Miles Massey (Clooney) meets his match in the beautiful but ruthless Marylin Rexroth (Zeta-Jones). From Academy Award®-winning† directors Joel Coen and Ethan Coen (Fargo; O Brother, Where Art Thou?), Intolerable Cruelty also stars multi-talented Billy Bob Thornton and outrageous Cedric The Entertainer.

*Best Supporting Actress, Chicago, 2002.
†Best Original Screenplay, Fargo, 1996.

Extras:
Scene Access
Featurettes
Production Notes
Outtakes/Bloopers
DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
I picked this one today for Catherine Zeta-Jones' 41st birthday... hmmmm... 41... my age.... I wonder.... Nah... never happen!  :laugh:

Before it was given to me I never even heard of this title before. I watched the trailer before the movie and it looked like it could be good. After watching it I discovered it was ok... I mean I enjoyed it... but it wasn't as good as I was expecting. I found I really didn't care for the characters enough to really get involved in the story. Found myself watching the clock as I watched this one. But it had it's moments of entertainment.

I must say... I get a kick out of all these overviews for Romantic Comedies... all saying they are hilarious. When I think of Romantic Comedies I really don't think of something that will be overly funny. More of entertaining and heartwarming. I seldomly find Romantic Comedies as laugh out loud funny.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »
I actually saw this in a theater.  It is definitely a bit off center since it was done by the Coen brothers.  The one thing I remember about going to this movie, though, was not the movie itself but that a woman's cellphone kept going off for about the first half-hour of the movie.  I was tempted to hurl my large Pepsi at her...but you know what those things cost these days!  :redcard: