Author Topic: The Expendables  (Read 6964 times)

lovemunkey187

The Expendables
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:33:34 PM »

Title: The Expendables
Year: 2010
Director: Sylvester Stallone

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Jason Statham
Jet Li
Dolph Lundgren
Eric Roberts
Randy Couture
Steve Austin
David Zayas
Giselle ItiƩ
Charisma Carpenter
Gary Daniels
Terry Crews
Mickey Rourke
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Bruce Willis

Plot:
A group of mercenaries is hired to infiltrate a South American country and overthrow its ruthless dictator. Once the mission begins, the men realize things aren't quite as they appear, finding themselves caught in a dangerous web of deceit and betrayal. With their mission thwarted and an innocent life in danger, the men struggle with an even tougher challenge -- one that threatens to destroy this band....(From Yahoo movies)

My Thoughts:
It rocks like a mother fucker.
[/color]
Rating:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:45:40 PM by lovemunkey187 »

Najemikon

Re: The Expendables
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
 :hysterical:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »
Well, as reviews go, it's not exactly detailed, yet I expect it's all I need to know! ;)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »
Well, as reviews go, it's not exactly detailed, yet I expect it's all I need to know! ;)

If you need a more detailed review as to whether or not it's your kind of film, then it's probably not.

In all seriousness though, I only had two issues with it, well technically one.
It's the three worst and very occasionaly best letters in cinema and tv, CGI.
This is yet another film that has substituted CG effects for prosthetics and gags(stunts), in particular where fire and the removal of apendages are concerned.
There aren't a lot of these instances, but the ones that are there, did (in my eyes) seem obvious.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »

If you need a more detailed review as to whether or not it's your kind of film, then it's probably not.

Don't be so sure. I love a bit of mindless action cinema! If it does what it says on the tin and lives up to the trailer, then I'll probably enjoy it a great deal.  :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 06:17:04 AM »
From what I have heard so far it does do what it says on the tin.

It seems though as if I may have to wait for the Blu-ray, as it's not in the cinemas here yet and it may be out of them already when I return from Germany. Sadly same goes for Scott Pilgrim.

EDIT:
:hmmmm:

Reviews are only my secondary source for making up my mind about seeing a film. However, I just looked at some reviews for those two films and noticed that these films seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum...? At DVD Talk the same 4 reviewers reviewed both films (Brian Orndorf, Jamie S. Rich, Casey Burchby and Tyler Foster). Of those 4 one guy liked The Expendables but disliked Scott Pilgram whereas for the other three it was exactly the other way around. I am still hoping to enjoy both :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:48:31 AM by Achim »

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 12:07:34 PM »
Thing is, we aren't typical viewers and taken at face value, the two films are very different and aimed at different people.

Bad luck on the cinema timing.

lyonsden5

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »
My son went and saw it this weekend. His comment: I grew a second set of balls and 50 pounds of muscle just by watching The Expendables.

Guess that sums it up pretty well  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 12:18:08 AM »
I'm probably going to see this tomorrow.
It has gotten mostly good reviews at Epinions - I've avoided them so far, but I've that people are giving it 4 and 5 stars. 

Scott Pilgrim is getting mostly 4s and 5s there too I think.

Critter

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »
Australia's most popular film magazine gave Scott Pilgrim 5 stars. I didn't expect them to give it so much, it's a big deal when that magazine gives 5 stars to anything so it was pretty cool.

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:23:46 AM »
So did Empire. Proving to be a strong film already...

Critter

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 02:50:22 AM »
I was talking about Empire haha. It is after all the most popular film magazine in this country. Although I'm talking baout the Aus version, I don't know how different it is to the UK one.

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 03:30:30 AM »
Oh right! I'm pretty sure it will be the same one then. Haven't Australia got there own mag? ;)

Critter

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 03:46:41 AM »
The version I get is the Australian one, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the reviews and articles are the same as the UK. The major difference is the release dates between countries, so they have to publish articles at different times.