Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  (Read 3653 times)

Critter

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
« on: August 09, 2010, 01:38:13 AM »
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Plot: Scott Pilgrim's life is so awesome. He's 23 years old, in a rock band, "between jobs," and dating a cute high school girl. Everything's fantastic until a seriously mind-blowing, dangerously fashionable, roller blading delivery girl named Ramona Flowers starts cruising through his dreams and sailing by him at parties. But the path to Ms. Flowers isn't covered in rose petals. Ramona's seven evil exes stand between Scott and true happiness. Can Scott defeat all seven of the bad guys and get the girl without turning his precious little life upside-down, before the game is over?

My Thoughts: This was one of the single funnest cinema experience I have had for the last couple of years. When I keep thinking back to this film 'fun' is the word that keeps coming back to my head. It was fun from start to finish, loads of laughs, great action scenes, great performances.  I saw this in a sold out cinema and the whole audience laughed at all of the jokes, there was great comedy timing throughout the whole film, and this is coming from someone who usually isn't a fan of comedies. I haven't yet read the comics that this film is based off but I didn't feel like I was missing out because of that. As a lover of video games there was a lot for me to appreciate in this film. It pretty much played out like a live-action video game, complete with incredible and outlandish fight scenes, and even giant monsters and dragons created from the energy of music. As well of, of course, a soundtrack that was composed highly of sound effects from old arcade style games that many of us know and love.

When I heard that Michael Cera would be playing the lead in this I was a little worried, as I like many other people are getting sick of Cera playing the same role over and over, as the awkward, somewhat geeky kid. And I won't lie, this role did show many similarities to some of his previous roles but it did seem to work in this film. Cera played Scott quite well in this instance, and the rest of the cast were also fantastic. The plot of this film was strange, that's for sure, but not strange enough to turn people off. As I said before, it's a fun ride and you just learn to expect anything at all as the film progresses as, just like in some video games, you never know what is about to turn up. This is a film that I can see myself enjoying many many times, in fact I am already planning my next cinema visit to see it. I highly recommend this film to anyone who is out to have a fun night at the movies.

My Rating: 4½/ 5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:31:07 AM »
Glad to hear it came out well. I am very excited to see this soon.

Critter

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »
I hope you enjoy it Achim, I had a fantastic time viewing it last night. I'm already counting down the days till I can see it again.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:26:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'll try to see this one.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:07:07 AM »
I hope you like it Marie.

I saw it in Melbourne last night as part of the Melbourne International Film Festival. It's the first advanced screening of a film I have been to and it was very cool. The cinema was sold out, and at the start we all had our phones taken off us and had to go through metal detectors so we couldn't film any of it. Also, instead of ads and trailers at the start, there was a short video message from the director of the film specifically addressing the Melbourne audience at that screening. Overall a very cool night. Worth the almost 20 minute run through the city afterward so that my friend and I wouldn't miss the train home  :-[

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this. Edgar Wright hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

Critter

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
Saw this again tonight, great film, I can't seem to get enough of it  :thumbup:.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 04:23:34 AM »
Surprisingly pretty enjoyable, although some of the fights tend to drag a little and the ending smells of multiple changes after test screenings. I remember someone summarizing it as "Juno with Judo", but it isn't in the same league as Reitman's movie, or, come to think of it, even 500 Days of Summer, which also rode on the recent hipster geeks wave.
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 06:00:09 AM »
I didn't get a chance to see this one in the theater...I'll probably end up getting the Blu-ray eventually.

Critter

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 06:15:56 AM »
This was one of my top favourite films seen in the cinema in 2010.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 06:59:09 AM »
I'm going to watch it next week.

I just finished the first volume of the comic and enjoyed it. Volumes 2 and 3 are already ordered.

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools