Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 18565 times)

hal9g

Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »
Watched this as part of my Alphabet Marathon and thoroughly enjoyed it!

(mine wasn't free though)   :shutup:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »

I see the little green monster...and I don't mean the Hulk! :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 11:35:22 PM »
 :laugh:
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2010, 11:36:57 PM »

I see the little green monster...and I don't mean the Hulk! :tease:

It's an ugly thing, isn't it!   :-[

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 01:26:15 AM »

Title: Something's Gotta Give
Year: 2003
Director: Nancy Meyers
Rating: PG-13
Length: 128 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jack Nicholson
Diane Keaton
Keanu Reeves
Frances McDormand
Amanda Peet
Jon Favreau

Plot:
Harry Sanborn (Jack Nicholson) is a perennial playboy with a libido much younger than his years. During what was to have been a romantic weekend with his latest infatuation, Marin (Amanda Peet), at her mother's Hamptons beach house, Harry develops chest pains. He winds up being nursed by Marin's reluctant mother, Erica Barry (Diane Keaton), a successful, divorced New York playwright. In the process, Harry develops more heart pangs – the romantic kind – for Erica, an age-appropriate woman whom he finds beguiling. However, some habits die hard. When Harry hesitates, his charming thirty-something doctor (Keanu Reeves) steps in and starts to pursue Erica. And Harry, who has always had the world on a string, finds his life unraveling.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Before this movie was sent to me I never even heard of it before. But as soon as I saw the trailer I couldn't wait to check it out as it looked really funny! When I went to watch it I was afraid that I hyped myself up too much for it. Luckily that wasn't the case... I enjoyed every minute of it. It has a lot of laugh out loud moments. I said in the last review that I didn't really think this type of movie really isn't Keanu Reeves strong point. But after seeing him in this movie I may have to rethink that stance as I thought he did great in this one. Though the entire cast was great here. This is one movie that I would highly recommend to any fan of Romantic Comedies.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »
I just looked at the movies you watched list...6 movies in 2 days.  :o

I'm really glad you liked this extra surprise - I love films that make me laugh out loud!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2010, 02:13:48 AM »
 :laugh: Yeah... I been busy the last couple days! :P

And so far I enjoyed all the ones I watched!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2010, 04:16:12 PM »

Title: A Time to Kill
Year: 1996
Director: Joel Schumacher
Rating: R
Length: 149 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Matthew McConaughey
Sandra Bullock
Samuel L. Jackson
Kevin Spacey
Oliver Platt
Charles S. Dutton

Plot:
John Grisham's bestseller A Time to Kill hits the screen with incendiary force, directed by Joel Schumacher (Batman Forever, The Client). Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, Matthew McConaughey and Kevin Spacey portray the prinicpals in a murder trial that brings a small Mississippi town's racial tensions to the flashpoint. Amid a frenzy of activist marches, Klan terror, media clamor and brutal riots, an unseasoned but idealistic young attorney mounts a stirring courtroom battle for justice. The superb ensemble also includes Brenda Fricker, Oliver Platt, Charles S. Dutton, Ashley Judd, Patrick McGoohan, Chris Cooper and both Donald and Kiefer Sutherland. These and other talents make A Time to Kill "one of the year's most powerful films" (Jeffrey Lyons, Sneak Previews/ABC World News Now).

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
While I don't have many I do like courtroom dramas. This is one I enjoyed quite a bit. This movie has more stars then you can shake a stick at. Many great names involved here. I found this to be a pretty powerful story that was more then easy to get involved in. I don't know if this will make any sense... but this movie is so dramatic that I felt I could have used a little break from the drama. Of course comedy wouldn't fit in such a movie... but I felt it needed a little something to lighten the mood a bit. Don't get me wrong... it isn't bad the way it is... just a lot to take in. I found Sandra Bullock to be adorable in this movie... and I hated seeing what they did to her character. But over all... definitely a movie worth watching. I would recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
I've seen this several times now and I think you might find the drama exhausting because it's so over the top. It's designed to make you indignant and angry, so you cheer on the good guys! Some of the stuff that happens is absolutely outrageous, it isn't remotely realistic. I like it though, because of the cast.

Other John Grisham based legal thrillers worth a look are The Firm with Tom Cruise, Rainmaker with Matt Damon and Runaway Jury with John Cusack, but I think the best one is The Pelican Brief.

Overall, the old, non-Grisham ones are the best! 12 Angry Men, The Verdict (recently reviewed for my "V" entry) and Anatomy Of A Murder with James Stewart.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »

Title: Memento
Year: 2000
Director: Christopher Nolan
Rating: R
Length: 113 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Guy Pearce
Carrie-Anne Moss
Joe Pantoliano
Mark Boone Junior
Russ Fega
Jorja Fox

Plot:
The revenge thriller gets an unforgettable new twist with Memento, an intricate crime story about a man with a damaged memory chasing a murderer whose identity he cannot possibly ever know for sure. Directed by newcomer Christopher Nolan, Memento has blown the minds of audiences around the world - by deftly forging a reality in which neither the lead character nor the audience know who is pulling the strings...until every thing that seemed true flips upside down.

Leonard (Guy Pearce) suffers from a rare brain disorder - the inability to form any new memories. He can remember in detail everything that happened before his injury, but anyone he has met or anything he has done since that fateful night, simply vanishes.

Who are his friends? Who are his enemies? What is the truth? In Leonard's world, the answers to these questions shift and change from second to second. And the more he tries to figure out what is true and real, the deeper he sinks into a multi-layered abyss of uncertainty and surprises.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
'Memento Mori' - original short story

My Thoughts:
Well... two movies in a row to make your head swim a bit. I think I will have to watch something I won't have to think about much next! Once again it is one I enjoyed quite a bit... but it is definitely one you really need to give your full attention to. I don't know how real such brain damage is... but I couldn't imagine trying to get through life with such an illness. Definitely worth checking out if you never seen it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2010, 07:48:24 PM »
My version of it can play the film in order, but I've never try it (I just think it would became a not so special movie since what makes this movie good is its structure).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2010, 07:55:11 PM »
I agree with you there... I wouldn't imagine wanting to watch it in any other order.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2010, 10:59:34 PM »
The structure is very important with this one.  With the ....story elements that are presented, if things are in the so called correct order - running forward I mean - then the audience will lose a lot of the surprise since they'll know certain things very early.

Najemikon

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:04 AM »
While it could be a gimmick... "ooh lets tell it backwards. that's cooooool." ...actually, it ties the audience in with the character. You have to make mental notes of what you saw, so you can remember what will happen to Leonard. Therefore you are like Leonard. It's nuts! Brilliant, but nuts.  :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 02:22:53 AM »
While it could be a gimmick... "ooh lets tell it backwards. that's cooooool." ...actually, it ties the audience in with the character. You have to make mental notes of what you saw, so you can remember what will happen to Leonard. Therefore you are like Leonard. It's nuts! Brilliant, but nuts.  :thumbup:

Exactly :)