Author Topic: Under the Tuscan Sun  (Read 2974 times)

hal9g

Under the Tuscan Sun
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:26:54 AM »

Title: Under the Tuscan Sun
Year: 2003
Director: Audrey Wells
Rating: PG-13
Length: 113 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Diane Lane
Sandra Oh
Lindsay Duncan
Raoul Bova
Vincent Riotta

Plot:
From the studio who brought you 'Sweet Home Alabama' comes the extraordinary romantic comedy starring Academy Award® nominee Diane Lane. Based on the #1 New York Times best-selling book, 'Under the Tuscan Sun' follows San Francisco writer Frances Mayes (Lane) to Italy as a good friend offers her a special gift - ten days in Tuscany. Once there, she is captivated by its beauty and warmth, and impulsively buys an aging, but very charming villa. Fully embracing new friends and local color, she finds herself immersed in a life-changing adventure filled with enough unexpected surprises, laughter, friendship and romance to restore her new home - and her belief in second chances.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
A somewhat syrupy and implausible story, but well-known, of a woman who unexpectedly finds herself divorced, believing that she will never be able to love again.  Surrounded by some interesting friends, including a lesbian couple who’ve decided to have a baby, some polish house renovators, an aging actress and of course Italian friends and neighbors, she slowly recovers from the wounds of her divorce, falls in love and learns many new life lessons along the way.  Diane Lane does a credible job, but I thought Vincent Riotta was marvelous in his somewhat minor role.  The scenery is quite magnificent and probably worth a look see on its own merit.  An enjoyable 2 hours.

Rating:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Tuscan Sun
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:32:33 PM »
Hal - are you having a Diane Lane marathon?

I'll have to see what I have of hers because, although I really like her work, I can't remember the last time I watched one of her movies.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 01:50:54 PM »
Wonderful actress, but unfortunately, I only have her in Judge Dredd. Not a great day for anyone, that one.

hal9g

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »
Hal - are you having a Diane Lane marathon?

I'll have to see what I have of hers because, although I really like her work, I can't remember the last time I watched one of her movies.

No it was really coincidence that I watched two of her movies in rapid succession.  I selected all of the movies for the marathon at the beginning and they were all "unwatched".  

I liked her in both this and Nights in Rodanthe, but thought Nights was a better movie.

Just checked my collection and I have Judge Dredd, Murder at 1600, Perfect Storm, and Unfaithful (and Untraceable in my Wishlist) with Diane Lane.  I've seen all but Judge Dredd, so I may have to give that a whirl soon (after I finish my marathon)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:55:27 PM by Hal »