Author Topic: Doing the ABC's Movie Style!!  (Read 59296 times)

Najemikon

Re: Doing the ABC's Movie Style!!
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
At least it wasn't Ting Tong...  :-X (Little Britain reference!)

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 11:43:04 PM »

Title: The Karate Kid
Year: 2010
Director: Harald Zwart
Rating: PG
Length: 140 Min.

Stars:
Jaden Smith
Jackie Chan
Taraji P. Henson
Wenwen Han
Rongguang Yu

Plot:
12-year-old Dre Parker could've been the most popular kid in Detroit, but his mother's latest career move has landed him in China. Dre immediately falls for his classmate Mei Ying - and the feeling is mutual - but cultural differences make such a friendship impossible. Even worse, Dre's feelings make an enemy of the class bully, Cheng. In the land of kung fu, Dre knows only a little karate, and Cheng puts "the karate kid" on the floor with ease. With no friends in a strange land, Dre has nowhere to turn but maintenance man Mr. Han, who is secretly a master of kung fu. As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punches and parries, but maturity and calm, Dre realizes that facing down the bullies will be the fight of his life.

My Thoughts:

Wow. I didn't exspect this!

They changed a lot of things. The place (that didn't concern me much, story stays true no matter where it is), the fact that they changed Mr. Miyagi's name. (That had me a little worried) Actually, that was about all they changed. I know, I know, he's supposed to be the Karate Kid, not the Kung Fu Kid, I know some people get on it with that, but the way I see it is karate is a generic term, and kung fu falls under that category.

The truth is, I have no reasoning why this movie is all that good. The main story is the same as the original, though they used different training exercises, the love interest is mainly the same, the challenge is the same. I suppose the modern setting and a younger Karate Kid simply added spark!! Awesome remake!!!  :clap: (and I don't say that often!!)

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 11:52:32 PM »
the fact that they changed Mr. Miyagi's name. (That had me a little worried)

Would have been strange if they had given a Chinese man a Japanese name ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 12:49:44 AM »
I know, I know, he's supposed to be the Karate Kid, not the Kung Fu Kid, I know some people get on it with that, but the way I see it is karate is a generic term, and kung fu falls under that category.

Glad you liked it! I think your dad flagged it up when I reviewed it as one he'd like to see. But really, don't make excuses for it. Calling it "The Karate Kid" was a cynical marketing move and nothing more. Karate is Japanese; Kung Fu is a Chinese term not restricted to Martial Arts and refers to focus and discipline in anything (the fighting styles are known as Wushu). Karate and Kung Fu are not the same thing.

But this doesn't detract from it being a good film. :thumbup:

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 04:31:53 AM »
I know, I know, he's supposed to be the Karate Kid, not the Kung Fu Kid, I know some people get on it with that, but the way I see it is karate is a generic term, and kung fu falls under that category.

Glad you liked it! I think your dad flagged it up when I reviewed it as one he'd like to see. But really, don't make excuses for it. Calling it "The Karate Kid" was a cynical marketing move and nothing more. Karate is Japanese; Kung Fu is a Chinese term not restricted to Martial Arts and refers to focus and discipline in anything (the fighting styles are known as Wushu). Karate and Kung Fu are not the same thing.

But this doesn't detract from it being a good film. :thumbup:

Lol, wasn't making excuses, just didn't know that.  :-[ Learn something new every day!!

But yeah, glad you agree.  ;D

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »

Title: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events: Full Screen Collection
Year: 2004
Director: Brad Silberling
Length: 108 Min.
Video: Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Jim Carrey
Liam Aiken
Emily Browning
SunnyKara Hoffman
Shelby Hoffman

Plot:
Dear Viewer,

If you enjoy movies filled with singing rabbits, exploding spaceships, or cheerleaders, you are holding the wrong DVD entirely.

This movie is extremely alarming, an expression which here means " a thrilling misadventure involing three ingenious orphans and a villainous actor named Count Olaf (Carey) who wants their enormous fortune." It includes a suspicious fire, delious pasta, Jim Carey, poorly behaved leaches, an incredibly deadly viper, Meryl Streep, and the voices of an imposter named Jude Law. The only things that could make such a spectacle more upsetting are special features, such as commentary by me or outtakes involving nervous laughter.

I am bound to continue my research into the lives of the Baudelaire orphans, but you are free to seek lighter fare, like blue cheese fondue.

With all do respect,
Lemony Snicket

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I really liked the movie. The review my father posted had one thing correct: it was weird. Oh, and that subbtitles for the baby was funny!!

I don't think this was a very good role for Jim Carrey. There weren't many chances for him to be as zany and outragous as we came to know him, but for such a sinister yet crazy role, who would you recommend? Idk, I guess they did the best they could as far as casting was concerned.

I never read the books, so I'm not sure how dead-on it was. I remember reviewing this before and someone told me it missed adventures and skipped a few books...that or it just wasn't accurate. I can't remember to be honest. I'll leave it to that because, as I said, I haven't read it.

Still, I am very into weird!! I think the movie was very entertaining. An inventor, a reader, and a baby who bites things! Above anything else this is a family-centered murder mystery. (Not so much a mystery as a "This guy did it! Why won't you believe us??" movie) All in all, one of my favorite movies in my collection!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 08:37:14 PM »
I don't think this was a very good role for Jim Carrey. There weren't many chances for him to be as zany and outragous as we came to know him, but for such a sinister yet crazy role, who would you recommend?

Jim Carrey's best roles were the movies were he didn't do his zany and outragous shtick: "Truman Show", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Man on the Moon".

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »
I like both styles... though I didn't like him all that much in this movie (he couldn't save it for me). I never seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Pete

kahless

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »
I think Jim Carrey's best roles ever were "Truman Show" and "Bruce Almighty"!
I've never seen "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events". But after reading the review of Pete and his daughter (great job - thank you!) I suppose my daughter would like this film more than me. She could buy this dvd from her pocket money!   :-\

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »
I don't think this was a very good role for Jim Carrey. There weren't many chances for him to be as zany and outragous as we came to know him, but for such a sinister yet crazy role, who would you recommend?

Jim Carrey's best roles were the movies were he didn't do his zany and outragous shtick: "Truman Show", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Man on the Moon".

Well, the only movies of his I saw other than this are Mask, Cable Guy, Ace Ventura, and I think another comdey, so I wouldn't know. :D

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 09:15:56 PM »
Lemony Snickets is unusual, but I liked it. It reminded me of old fashioned children's stories; orphan's being dragged into a cruel and twisted fairytale. It could certainly have been better, but it's amongst Carrey's best roles at least. There was just something about the film as a whole that didn't click enough to support him.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 10:37:31 PM »
I liked this movie.  It is different, but so are the books.  There are like 12 books in the series - I can't remember now - and the movie condenses the first 3 books into one movie.  Some new stuff is added in, though it works for the most part. 
I did like Carrey in this one.

I would have been interested to see this continue with more movies, but that hasn't happened.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 02:36:13 AM »
^This. Although I have not seen Man on the Moon myself.

Bruce Almighty is a fun film, where he dialled back the zaniness substantially, and, being the first of his comedy stuff I saw, I woudn't turn off Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

Critter

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 03:26:51 AM »
A Series of Unforuntate Events is one of very few films that I like better than the book. And that hardly ever happens. I read the first 4 or so books and just couldn't stick with them, but I loved this film.

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »

Title: Mostly Ghostly: Who Let the Ghosts Out?
Year: 2008
Director: Rich Correll
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Madison Pettis
Sterling Beaumon
Luke Benward
Brian Stepanek
David DeLuise
Kim Rhodes

Plot:
Max is hardly a typical 11-year-old: he loves magic, detests sports, and can't seem to say a single word to his crush, Traci, the most popular girl in school. But when he's the only one who can see the ghosts haunting his house, two young spirits make him the deal of a lifetime: he'll help them solve the mystery of their parents' disappearance and battle a wicked ghoul, if they'll help him go from being invisible to the most talked-about kid at school!

Featuring an all-star cast including Madison Pettis (The Game Plan), Ali Lohan (TV's Living Lohan), Luke Benward (How to Eat Fried Worms), Noah Cyrus (TV's Hannah Montana) and Sterling Beaumon (Four Christmases), it's one spooky mishap after another in this haunted adventure! Filled with thrills, chills and hilarious spills, R.L. Stine's Mostly Ghostly will have the whole family on the edge of their seats!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

The movie was created by R.L. Stine, so you know what that means? A cool family-friendly horror movie! There's not much I can say about this one, other than it is a favorite of mine to watch around Halloween, alongside Are You Afraid of the Dark? and the Rosanne Halloween episodes.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:39:28 PM by addicted2comics(:P) »