Author Topic: Doing the ABC's Movie Style!!  (Read 59298 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Doing the ABC's Movie Style!!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »
I think I would have liked the movie better if it hadn't been called Catwoman.  That may sound odd, but by doing that and saying it was based on the comic book, they set it up for people to be disappointed with the movie having nothing to do with the established character.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
I understand what you are saying... I think that is why I said in my review for it that I enjoyed it... but couldn't call it a good movie.
Pete

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
ok, taking time off for grandma's. later!!

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 08:29:35 PM »

Title: Finding Nemo: 2-Disc Collector's Edition
Year: 2003
Director: Andrew Stanton
Rating: G
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), French: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Spanish: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Albert Brooks
Ellen DeGeneres
Alexander Gould
Willem Dafoe
Brad Garrett
Allison Janney

Plot:
From the Academy Award®-winning* creators of Toy Story and Monsters, Inc., it's time to dive into Finding Nemo – a hilarious adventure that takes you into the breathtaking underwater world of Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

When Nemo, a young clownfish, is unexpectedly carried far from home, his overprotective father, Marlin (Albert Brooks), and Dory (Ellen DeGeneres), a friendly but forgetful regal blue tang fish, embark on an epic journey that leads to encounters with vegetarian sharks, surfer dude turtles, hypnotic jellyfish and hungry seagulls!

Finding Nemo's breakthrough computer animation is the ultimate viewing experience. This 2-Disc Collector's Edition overflows with something for everyone, including exclusive animation, deleted scenes, games, and more! "Unlike any movie you've ever seen! You could be 5 or 95 and you'll enjoy this film." – Leonard Maltin, Hot Ticket

*2001, Best Animated Short Film, For The Birds.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Interactive Games
Music Videos
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:

I remembered really, really enjoying this a few years ago, and as I didn't enjoy it as much as I remembered, it was pretty good. Some particularly funny parts were Dory trying to speak whale (Who I didn't notice until now that she was voiced by Ellen DeGeneres. I'm terrible at celebrity sitings!!! :P ) and the end bit where the tank full of fish made it to the ocean only to realize they were still in bags!! :laugh:

It had some funny moments, some serious parts like every movie, but some bits were just plain annoying! Like the stereotypical surfer-dude voice on all the sea turtles. (Reminds me of playing MUA2, Deadpool sounded the same!!)
Idk, something about it just irks me. Still, it was a really fun movie and I'm sorry I don't watch it more often!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »
I watched this again on Friday with my niece and nephews. Although I like it, somehow it is more fun watching it with them. Of course now I can't get the lyrics "just keep swimming..." out of my head!

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »

Title: Green Lantern: First Flight: 2-Disc Special Edition
Year: 2009
Director: Lauren Montgomery
Rating: PG-13
Length: 77 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Christopher Meloni
Victor Garber
Tricia Helfer
Michael Madsen
John Larroquette
Kurtwood Smith

Plot:
When pilot Hal Jordan accepts a mysterious, powerful ring from a dying alien creature, it transforms him into a Green Lantern, one of an elite force of heroes who patrol the universe to ensure peace and justice under the leadership of the Guardians of the Universe. Unsure of their newest recruit, the Guardians assign Hal to their most-honored Green Lantern Sinestro for training, unaware that Sinestro wants to overthrow the Guardians and create a new order he'll control. It's a battle of might and willpower as Hal must prove his worth by defeating Sinestro to save the Green Lantern Corps. Voiced by a stellar cast including Christopher Meloni, Victor Garber, Tricia Helfer and Michael Madsen, this DC Universe original animated adventure bursts with action-packed shakedowns, showdowns and spectacular visuals as Green Lantern uses his powers and imagination to make the impossible real!

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Duck Dodgers "The Green Loontern"; Bruce Timm's Top Picks

My Thoughts:

Ok, anyone who knows me, (heck, anyone who sees my username!) would know that I love my fix on superheroes. That being said, you can expect my rating to be a little biased.

One thing I never understood about Hal's origin is that he saw an alien dying after he was levetated I don't know how many miles by forces he didn't know about, and he didn't seem freaked out! Show of hands, how many of you would be freaking?? Still, in the simulator he risked being tapioca, so I guess he's just not that type of guy. lol

I have to give credit for the people that came up with this, or at least layed it out for the movie. When it comes to movies taking place in space, I"m always reluctant. Those weird names and devices, long, complicated plots......a lot of times I feel so lost 20 minutes in. Not with this movie. It's clear, I had no problem understanding it, and leave it to Hal to add some humor to a Sci-Fi Superhero Adventure movie!!!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
I watched this again on Friday with my niece and nephews. Although I like it, somehow it is more fun watching it with them. Of course now I can't get the lyrics "just keep swimming..." out of my head!

:laugh:

Thanks a lot!! After a movie of bliss where I compltely forgot you had to go and put it in my head again!!! :laugh:

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 11:45:52 PM »

Title: Hulk Vs. Thor
Year: 2008
Director:
Length: 45 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Fred Tatasciore
Mattie Wolf
Graham McTavish
Grey DeLisle
Kari Wahlgren
Bryce Johnson

Plot:
Asgard, realm of the gods. For ages, Loki the trickster has sought a way to bring defeat to his accursed stepbrother, Thor. But for all the battles Thor has fought, in all the nine realms, only one creature has ever been able to match his strength - a mortal beast of Midgard known as The Incredible Hulk. Now, with Odin the almighty king of the gods deep in a regenerative sleep, and the forces protecting Asgard at their weakest, Loki is finally ready to spring his trap. In an epic battle that will pit gods against monsters, that will test a hero's limits more than ever before, only The Mighty Thor can hope to prevail.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Hulk vs. Thor was never a favorite of mine, as much as a comic book addict I am. I simply never fully understood the Asgardian myths and way of life. I mean, I can't even get the lingo!! (And that's really bad considering I'm currently writing a mini series of Thor.)

One of the complaints I have are the ideas of the afterlife. Bruce was a good man. Enchantress claimed that Valhalla, the viking version of heaven, claimed his soul. He witnessed his ideal life and experianced peace. Yet, when Loki and Thor decided they needed him to send Hulk back to Midguard (which the Asgardians call Earth?) they go down. For me, that begs the question, how is it possible? Does the Goddess of Death decide herself where the soul goes? Is Valhalla only for the heroes of Asgard? I just don't get it!! :headscratch:

There are other points that bothered me, like the fact that many think Thor and Loki stepbrothers when all the Gods are of blood relation, except Loki who is a foster brother. Still, I'll stop there.

It was enjoyable overall, though. That, and the idea of the "Odin Sleep" gave me an idea for the next chapter in my writings!! ;) Very decent movie if you're the type of person to be a fan of ancient myths and legends.   

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 01:28:57 AM »

Title: The Invincible Iron Man
Year: 2007
Director: Frank Paur
Length: 83 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Marc Worden
Gwendoline Yeo
Rodney Saulsberry
Elisa Gabrielli
John McCook
James Sie

Plot:
Past and present collide in this epic adventure that reveals the origin of Iron Man. While raising the ruins of a long buried Chinese kingdom, billionaire inventor Tony Stark digs up far more than he bargained for. He unleashes an age-old prophecy that foretells the resurrection of the Mandarin, the emperor of China's darkest and most violent dynasty. In order to confront the destructive force, Tony creates an armored suit infused with high-tech weaponry. To stop the evil that he himself has raised form the earth, Tony must become his greatest invention ever — Iron Man! The newly born champion must travel to the four corners of the earth to battle the Mandarin's henchmen, the Elementals — four magical warriors who harness the power of the elements — earth, water, wind, and fire — with deadly chemistry. But is the Iron Knight, as he his known in the prophecy, strong enough to defy fate and turn back the malevolent forces hell-bent on earth's destruction?

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This, like every other movie, has its faults. This is my third counted telling of Iron Man's origin, and the worst in my opinion, and that's including the one where they're all teenagers!!

Tony's father isn't dead, but arguing with him on how to run the company. Isn't Tony's dedication to letting his father's work live his very motivation for wearing the armor?? And after he built the armor when he was being held captive, he had an entire line of them waiting at his company's building??

Despite this, the Mandarin Ring plot was entertaining as usual, though I myself am not a fan of it. As mentioned in my previous review of Hulk vs. Thor, this type of movie, being mainly based among myths and ancient legends, a person who is interested in this topic, I would highly recommend this to. Don't let my rating fool you, I would recommend it! Just not my taste.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »

Title: The Lost World: Jurassic Park: Collector's Edition
Year: 1997
Director: Steven Spielberg
Length: 129 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jeff Goldblum
Julianne Moore
Pete Postlethwaite
Arliss Howard
Richard Attenborough
Vince Vaughn

Plot:
Four years after the failure of Jurassic Park on Isla Nublar, John Hammond reveals to Ian Malcolm that there was another island ("Site B") on which dinosaurs were bred before being transported to Isla Nublar. Left alone since the disaster, the dinosaurs have flourished, and Hammond is anxious that the world see them in their "natural" environment before they are exploited.
-----
With the apparent public discovery of the 'Site B' production island full of dinosaurs, John Hammond assembles a team to visit and document the area before it is exploited by others. Included in the four man team are Dr. Ian Malcolm and his girlfriend, Dr. Sarah Harding. When the team reaches the island, they soon discover the presence of another group of people. This new group however are not there for biological data but instead have something more sinister in mind. After a series of events, both groups become stranded when all their communication equipment is lost. It is then that the terror really begins as both groups scramble for their lives.
-----
Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) is recruited by John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) to lead a research team to Isla Sorna, an island 87 miles to the south of Isla Nublar (the site of the original Jurassic Park). Here, InGen Bioengineering had constructed the secret "Site B", where the dinosaurs were actually bred and then transported to the park. Hammond's nephew, who has taken control of InGen, leads his own team to the island to capture the dinos and bring them back to the U.S. to become attractions at a "dino park" in San Diego. The dinos cause havoc and have a field day with the movable "feast."

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
Dinosaur Encyclopedia

My Thoughts:

I know "Lost World" begins with L but begining or ending with it, a subtitle is a subtitle so it goes under J for Jurassic Park in my eyes, and dad also stands by me on that one.

Well, I saw the first movie 1st semester at school last year, and I think it was better. This movie, though I can't describe anything wrong with it, just didn't grab my attention as much. I found myself dazing in and out of the movie. Other than that, I found the plot a bit too much here. The proffessor wants to keep an eye on and research the dinos at Site B. I can get that. Thing is, why would someone else have the stupid idea of turning it into a park? And in San Diego?? :slaphead:

Still, the Dinosaur excitment makes up for it. You just can't stay mad at a movie where you get to see people eaten alive.  :)

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »
It has been years since I watched any of the Jurassic Park movies... hmmmmm.... would dinosaurs be considered horror? :P
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 09:29:33 PM »
Could be.  But how did The Lost World wander in here?  That's not an animated movie!

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
The Lost World is definitely not on the same scale of brilliance as the first Jurassic Park, but the idea of the San Diego thing can be explained. It's a reference to King Kong at least (they bring him back to America as a show) and that in itself is a reference to the old explorers, who would sail off to distant lands and bring weird and wonderful things back and charge people to see them as a kind of freak show.

It's harder to accept in a modern setting, but the more times I see the film, the more it becomes my favourite bit. The T-Rex roaring into the skyline and then the nice "there's a dinosaur in the garden"! :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:36:39 PM by Jon »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »
 :laugh: I think she tired of animation now. :P of course there is several movies that aren't animated movies on page one of this thread.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »
The Lost World is definitely not on the same scale of brilliance as the first Jurassic Park, but the idea of the San Diego thing can be explained. It's a reference to King King at least (they bring him back to America as a show) and that in itself is a reference to the old explorers, who would sail off to distant lands and bring weird and wonderful things back and charge people to see them as a kind of freak show.

It's harder to accept in a modern setting, but the more times I see the film, the more it becomes my favourite bit. The T-Rex roaring into the skyline and then the nice "there's a dinosaur in the garden"! :laugh:

King King?  :P
Pete