Author Topic: The Last Airbender  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Last Airbender
« on: July 11, 2010, 09:04:59 AM »
The Last Airbender

I have heard of the carton, but I haven't seen it.  I really have no idea what was changed for the movie - though I'm sure some stuff was..it always is.  I also don't know why the decision was made to make it a live action movie instead of animated like the cartoon.

The story is interesting.  It seems like it will be rather complicated after a few things are set up, but it really isn't.  Too many scenes drag on too long.  That doesn't just happen early in the movie when characters are introduced and the situation is set up.  Some of scenes fairly late in the movie drag too much as well.  Things do pick up every so often, but as soon as the action is done - courtesy of some fights between the various benders - the pace slows back down.  The pacing is very uneven.  I enjoyed the movie overall and didn't get bored, but I do think the pace is a bit too slow overall.  For what happens in this movie, there isn't a need for a slow build up.

The action scenes are done well and it does look cool when the water or fire is being controlled by a bender and used in a fight.  There don't seem to be any lingering effects to the elements though.  Characters hit by the water aren't wet..characters hit by the fire aren't burned or singed.  I have no idea if that is how it worked in the cartoon, but it is a bit odd.  The fighting is done with the different elements, so there really isn't much in the way of violence. 

Character development is lacking for all the characters.  A little more is shared about Aang, but it isn't enough.  Katara is a bit better, but her brother Sokka really suffers, seeming to just be tagging along.  The Fire Lord is just trying to further the Fire Nation's domination.  Prince Zuko has a bit more motivation, but he still comes across as a flat character. 

From what I've read after seeing the movie, it is based on the first season of the animated series.  I've also read that this is supposed to be the first movie in a trilogy..though I've heard that about other movies before and the other movies still haven't been made.  So who knows.  I would see the other movies if they get made because I think the story is interesting even though the pacing is messed up. 

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

The Last Airbender

Critter

Re: The Last Airbender
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 09:14:24 AM »
It is vased on the first series of the cartoon, and there are three series all up, hence the trilogy. This one is pretty much bombing though so with any luck M Knight won't get a chance to ruin the rest of such a wonderful cartoon.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:38:41 AM »
8% on Rotten Tomatoes.

4.4 on IMDb.

Somehow I still would like to see it someday :bag:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:38:22 AM »
I thought it was entertaining.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:56:03 AM »
Tribute to one of the greatest cartoons of recent years:

I still don't know why they made a live-action film. I will probably see it eventually before I cast judgement, but the cartoon literally blew me away, where as I feel the film will only dissapoint.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 05:21:22 AM »
I thought it was entertaining.
One reason I still kind ofd want to see it ;)