Author Topic: The Devil & Daniel Webster  (Read 2604 times)

hal9g

The Devil & Daniel Webster
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:53:41 AM »

Title: The Devil & Daniel Webster: The Criterion Collection
Year: 1941
Director: William Dieterle
Rating: NR
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Edward Arnold
Walter Huston
Jane Darwell
Simone Simon
Gene Lockhart

Plot:
Jabez Stone is a hard-working farmer trying to make an honest living, but a streak of bad luck tempts him to do the unthinkable: bargain with the Devil himself. In exchange for seven years of good fortune, Stone promises "Mr. Scratch" his soul. But when the troubled farmer begins to realize the error of his choice, he enlists the aid of the one man who might save him: the legendary orator and politician Daniel Webster. Directed with stylish flair by William Dieterle, 'The Devil and Daniel Webster' brings the classic short story by Stephen Vincent Benet to life with inspired visuals, and unforgettable OscarĀ®-winning score by Bernard Herrmann, and a truly diabolical performance from Walter Huston as the Devil.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Radio Dramatizations, Essays, Original Short Story Reading

My Thoughts:
This Faustian story was thoroughly enjoyable, from beginning to end even if there was little suspense in what would happen.  The acting of Walter Huston as the Devil, Anne Shirley as Mary, Simone Simon as Belle and of course Edward Arnold as Daniel Webster was wonderful.  It was fun to revisit life in 1840 New Hampshire (where I grew up, not when, but where!) and enjoy some of the great oratory of a great American speaking about the founding of our great country.

Just an all-round fun film that can be enjoyed with the whole family.  A good one for the 4th of July weekend, too.

Rating:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:08:51 AM by Hal »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Devil and Daniel Webster
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:56:17 AM »
Something is wrong with your cover for that DVD ;)

hal9g

Re: The Devil and Daniel Webster
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:19:33 AM »
Something is wrong with your cover for that DVD ;)

Yeah, I noticed that after posting it.   Apparently, The Devil & Daniel Webster and Knife in the Water were both released with the same UPC by Criterion, who apparently realized their mistake and re-released The Devil and Daniel Webster under a new UPC.  My cover has the original (incorrect) UPC, so when I pulled the review data from my local db, it pulled the image for Knife in the Water from the online db.

I found the "corrected" UPC and fixed it in my post above.  All is well!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Devil & Daniel Webster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:07:46 AM »
Thanks for explaining it. That is rather unusual for Criterion...