Author Topic: Jon's Alphabet Marathon 2010  (Read 67325 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Jon's Alphabet Marathon 2010
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:12 PM »
I love Curse of the Were-Rabbit.  Such a good movie.

Najemikon

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2010, 10:24:33 PM »
I don't have your talent for writing Jon but I agree with you on all accounts.  I paid a high price for this DVD because someone kept telling me it was good.  What a waste of money, I didn't even watch it completely.

Thank you, Eric. The overview bizarrely claims this was destined to be a cult classic like Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I don't get the link. Lock Stock is overrated, but a lot better. :shrug:

I love Curse of the Were-Rabbit.  Such a good movie.

So glad to hear you say that, although I know you wrote a good review before. I get the impression that it didn't do as well as hoped in the States, so I wondered how well it had translated. I think Nick Park had a great relationship with America after winning a couple of Oscars, but something didn't quite feel right with the movie. It's like they went on a couple of dates, then finally slept together, and woke up the next morning slightly confused because neither partner got what they were expecting...  :laugh:

Najemikon

Sherlock Holmes ****
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2010, 11:11:49 PM »
Sherlock Holmes
4 out of 5

Explosive action, baffling mystery and astonishing intrigue follow Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and his trusted ally Watson (Jude Law) in a race to uncover and foil a terrifying plot that threatens to destroy the country. Director Guy Ritchie helms the all-action adventure reintroducing the great detective to the World. Robert Downey Jr. is the new Sherlock Holmes!

I wasn’t sure whether I would like Sherlock Holmes. I understood that Arthur Conan Doyle’s original books are actually far lighter and satirical than the rather serious adaptations so far, but still; blockbuster material? Really?

In truth, concessions to being a tent-pole multiplex hit do cause the script to be too obvious and over reliant on set-pieces, but it is tremendous fun, breathlessly paced and very exciting. And from Robert Downey Jr. possibly one of the best performances of the Sherlock Holmes character yet attempted, though in the context of how previous productions have been fashioned, that's impossible to put into context. Certainly I can’t think of a better depiction of the relationship with Dr. Watson, and Jude Law more than holds his own. If anything the film relies on him more as the straight man.

But this is RDJ’s show from start to finish and he is superb. Great accent, perfect timing and delivery, and with such infectious fun. He convinces as the action man and almost as the detective, though that isn’t his fault. As I said, the plot is too focused on the set-pieces to allow the audience to see Holmes actually coming to any conclusions, until at the end where he reveals everything he knew. Which is a hell of a lot. Not letting the viewer join in more is a poor mistake as it might have been something truly special. All the pieces were in place.

Along with RDJ, Jude Law completes a very strong pairing. Having Watson the more grounded character, trying to leave Holmes behind is a clever foundation on which to build the story. It gives Holmes a weakness, without spelling it out, except in what is not said between the two leads. In the books, Watson is Holmes’ rock, especially in relation to his drug addiction, which gets a tiny, but perceptive reference here. Purely from the acting perspective, the chemistry is fantastic too. It very much falls into the ‘bromance’ of action movies like Lethal Weapon. They both have girlfriends, well played by Kelly Reilly and especially Rachel McAdams who is effectively the third lead as original Conan Doyle character Irene Adler, but it’s clear there is a love that Shall Not Speak Its Name between Holmes and Watson! Mark Strong rounds out the cast with a powerful turn as the villain, Lord Blackwood. Moriaty is hinted at, so if part two doesn’t end at Reichenbach Falls, I’ll eat my hat!

The biggest revelation for me is Guy Ritchie as director. Sherlock Holmes is by far his best film, and I do like Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch very much. It’s just this is so different, requiring an eye for action cinema, and reveals both flamboyancy and restraint in expert use. Although the finale is a bit predictable, the sequence at the shipyard and the incidental fights are incredible. It’s a gorgeous looking film too, with sumptuous detail and lighting (there is a night-time scene that actually reminded me of Deliverance in that it was proper moon rather then movie lighting). Because of the attention to detail and eye for photography, this is one of the best modern movies I’ve yet seen on Blu-Ray, which so far has proved more impressive for older films.

Overall the sum of it's parts are better than the result. It hardly matters if it is a good or bad adaptation of the stories, because it's aimed at a young audience. It does exactly what it set out to do though. So bring on the sequel! Just next time, let’s have a bit of mystery that we can play along with.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2010, 12:28:27 AM »

So glad to hear you say that, although I know you wrote a good review before. I get the impression that it didn't do as well as hoped in the States, so I wondered how well it had translated. I think Nick Park had a great relationship with America after winning a couple of Oscars, but something didn't quite feel right with the movie. It's like they went on a couple of dates, then finally slept together, and woke up the next morning slightly confused because neither partner got what they were expecting...  :laugh:

I can't remember how well the movie did the box office now..I'm thinking it did pretty good.  I seem to remember reading a lot of positive reviews on Epinions too.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2010, 12:37:09 AM »
I may have to give Sherlock Holmes a try after all. I was a little disappointed by the trailer as it looked far to action oriented. When I think of Sherlock Holmes the last thing I think of is action. But you made some good points and it sounds like it could be entertaining.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2010, 01:13:57 AM »
Sherlock Holmes is really good.  You should give it a chance.

Najemikon

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2010, 02:18:40 AM »
Yes, Pete, definitely worth a look, Marie is right. Once you understand it was produced as a mere blockbuster, the only way is up, and Robert Downey Junior and Jude Law give it a special something. :thumbup:

Critter

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2010, 03:13:28 AM »
Jon, I just noticed your Curse of the Were Rabbit review. I'm not sure how I missed it previously. I'm so glad that you enjoyed that film enough to give it 5 stars. I also have it on DVD and just love it, it never fails to make me laugh out loud and has the type of jokes you don't often see in animated films now. It's definatly one I love a lot, your review has made me want to rewatch it.

Najemikon

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2010, 03:28:09 AM »
Well, I only posted it today, so I'll let you off!  ;) How could I not love it though? It's British to it's very core and Wallace and Gromit are an institution. I assume you've seen the shorts? Heck, I even like the Contraptions series they did, and the occasional Shaun the Sheep spin-off.  :-[ :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2010, 03:43:37 AM »
I grew up watching the shorts over and over again. In fact due to an unfortunate mishap, the three original Wallace and Gromit shorts and now the only three VHS tapes I still own, and I cherish them as much as my DVD's, if not more. I have a Wallace and Gromit clock that I got when I was bout 6 or 7 and it still sits on my desk to this day. I don't mind Shaun the Sheep, I don't think I have seen the contraptions series though.

Najemikon

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2010, 03:58:46 AM »
Ah, madam, you have excellent taste! I have a Gromit mug. His nose turns red when you have hot liquid in!  :P You probably haven't seen the ads they did. Do a search on YouTube; there are four or five for Npower. I think all the Contraptions are on there too and Aardman have their own channel for all sorts of stuff.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2010, 04:41:03 AM »
Ooo...that mug sounds cool.
I have the shorts on DVD..and the movie.  I have a few Shaun the Sheep DVDs too.  I have no other items.  I would be very tempted if I saw some though.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Run Lola Run **
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2010, 06:04:06 AM »
Run Lola Run
2 out of 5
Whether it is actually any good, despite being watchable, depends entirely on your own take. I thought it was over-done bollocks.

I haven't seen this since 2003, but it seems you are a bit harsh here. Especially when followed by a four(*snicker*)-star review of "Sherlock Holmes".
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2010, 11:20:57 AM »
In fact due to an unfortunate mishap, the three original Wallace and Gromit shorts and now the only three VHS tapes I still own, and I cherish them as much as my DVD's, if not more.
You know that, at least in the US, they have those three plus the newer one ("A Matter of Loaf and Death"; gotta laugh the title :laugh:) on Blu-ray! Will go very well with your PS3 :P (it's apparently region free).

Najemikon

Re: Run Lola Run **
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
Run Lola Run
2 out of 5
Whether it is actually any good, despite being watchable, depends entirely on your own take. I thought it was over-done bollocks.

I haven't seen this since 2003, but it seems you are a bit harsh here. Especially when followed by a four(*snicker*)-star review of "Sherlock Holmes".

Why, what did I miss? Or does Lola simply inherit respect simply by not being mainstream? Should I have admonished myself for not liking it and found something good? Nah! :tease: It's pretentious crap that barely had enough good ideas to fill one 20 minutes segment, never mind three.

Have you even seen Sherlock Holmes? I wouldn't have thought it was your cup of tea from any angle, but there's incalculably more talent involved and I enjoyed it, even if the net result was a bit dumb. Key difference is, one film was trying to be clever and shot itself in the foot. And it wasn't Holmes.

But hey, the overview of Lola compares itself to another Guy Ritchie film. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels? erm... *** at least, maybe **** :P

Have you seen The Constant Gardener? I think that one is much more up your street. In fact, it's so far up your street, it's parked in your drive and knocking on your door.