Author Topic: Carnal Knowledge  (Read 2173 times)

hal9g

Carnal Knowledge
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:08:11 AM »

Title: Carnal Knowledge
Year: 1971
Director: Mike Nichols
Rating: R
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Jack Nicholson
Candice Bergen
Art Garfunkel
Ann-Margret
Rita Moreno

Plot:
One of the most controversial movies of its time, this "thought-provoking" (Leonard Maltin ) comedy-drama from legendary director Mike Nichols (The Birdcage) is a funny, poignant look at relationships as seen through the eyes of two friends over a 20-year period. Superbly crafted by playwright Jules Feiffer, Carnal Knowledge is brimming with touching insights, sexy banter and powerful performances by three-time Oscar winner Jack Nicholson, Ann-Margaret, Candice Bergen and pop music icon Arthur Garfunkel.

Jonathan (Nicholson) and Sandy (Garfunkel) are college roommates who share an endless fascination - and obsession - with women. As time goes by, their relentless pursuit for the joys of the flesh becomes more competitive. And more damaging. Soon, Jonathan and Sandy's lives become a vicious circle of girls, booze and unfulfillment, and they realize only too late that - in the war of the sexes they are their own worst enemy.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Although a film for its time, I realized as I watched this, that not much has changed since this movie was made and that if anything it was a foretelling of how relationships between men and women would continue to deteriorate over the next three decades as the divorce rate soared.  Although described as a “funny poignant look…” in the overview above, I found very little humor except at the “fumbling, adolescent” discussions of sexual discovery in the first few scenes.  After that, it became a journey of self-destruction and disillusion for everyone involved.  Jack Nicholson is great as the self-absorbed, emotionally crippled Sam and a 25 year-old Candice Bergen makes you wonder what the hell she’s thinking about?  Was this movie a rebuke of the sex-crazed ‘60’s?  Who knows…but don’t look for any happy endings.  Definitely not a chick flick!

Rating: