Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 2928 times)

hal9g

Watchmen
« on: July 02, 2010, 02:15:39 AM »

Title: Watchmen: Director's Cut: Special Edition
Year: 2009
Director: Zack Snyder
Rating: R
Length: 186 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Malin Akerman
Billy Crudup
Matthew Goode
Jackie Earle Haley
Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Plot:
A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the “Doomsday Clock” – which charts the USA’s tension with the Soviet Union – is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion – a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers – Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity…but who is watching the watchmen?

Extras:
Scene Access
Featurettes
Music Videos
BD-Live
Maximum Movie Mode

My Thoughts:
An interesting film with a stylistic presentation reminiscent of the pinnacle of the “film noir” era.   Other than Superman and some Batman, I’ve never been a big comic strip super action hero fan and this movie did not do much to change my mind.  Running a bit long (3 hours and 6 minutes), I found myself asking when it would get to the point and just how much longer this is going to go on, but I made it through with the help of scenes like those in the prison.  While there were some very nice special effects and CG work, I couldn’t quite figure out why Dr. Manhattan sometimes wore his loin cloth and other times didn’t.  Maybe I am missing some underlying hidden meaning for either presentation.

Glad I got around to watching it, but I suspect it will be some time before I pull it out again.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 03:11:34 AM »
I do own the Extended Director's Cut (just to get the most out of it), which runs almost/more than 4 hours; it also include the The Black Freighter short (is that 1 hour....?), which I would hope can be skipped during repeated viewings (to shorten the feature). I believe it is otherwise not seamless branched to allow for viewing of the Theatrical Cut.

hal9g

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:14:51 PM »
I'm sometimes just a sucker for the cool models!  :-[

lyonsden5

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »
I'm sometimes just a sucker for the cool models!  :-[
You and me both.  8)

Alien Redrum

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:48:42 AM »
I really wanted to like this movie, but your feelings summed up pretty well why I didn't. It's about 2 weeks long, with very little to keep me interested. It's odd, too, because I like hardboiled, I prefer my heroes without super powers and I like mysteries, but none of it really worked for me in this film.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:30:21 AM »
After utterly disagreeing with Jon (and pretty much everyone else) about The Dark Knight, I'm happy to agree with him in that Watchmen is a somewhat flawed, but great take on the superhero genre, which may have already grown up in Moore's comic of the '80s, but took a couple of decades more to do so on the big screen.
Matthias