Author Topic: My Alphabet Marathon Reviews  (Read 46757 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Alphabet Marathon Reviews
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 02:08:29 AM »
I was afraid that time would not be kind to this movie.... and special effects wise it really hasn't.

What I always do when I watch a film from long ago, is I try place myself mentally in that time period and then the special effects don't bother me, looking outdated.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 03:05:26 AM »

Title: Daddy Day Care: Special Edition
Year: 2003
Director: Steve Carr
Rating: PG
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Eddie Murphy
Jeff Garlin
Steve Zahn
Regina King
Kevin Nealon
Jonathan Katz

Plot:
DADDY DAY CARE is the hilarious comedy about kids ruling the roost! When ad execs Charlie (Eddie Murphy-Dr. Dolittle, Shrek) and Phil (TV's "Curb Your Enthusiasm"'s Jeff Garlin) lose their jobs trying to sell a veggie-flavored breakfast cereal, their wives head off to work. But when they realize they can't afford to keep their kids at the fancy Chapman Academy run by evil Miss Harridan (The Addams Family's Anjelica Huston), Charlie and Phil become the proprietors of Daddy Day Care. Little do these two Mr. Moms realize that they have just begun their own adventures in babysitting! DADDY DAY CARE's excellent supporting cast includes Steve Zahn (National Security), Regina King (Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde) and Kevin Nealon (Anger Management).

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interactive Games
Outtakes/Bloopers
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
Animated Short "Early Bloomers"

My Thoughts:
This is just a fun movie to watch. I literally laughed out loud on more then one occasion. I liked the entire cast... especially enjoyed Anjelica Huston as the evil head of the competition day care center. She played the role perfectly. A friend gave me this movie 3 years ago... and I remembered enjoying it at the time... but I forgot just how much I did enjoy it.I will have to keep this movie in mind and not let it go so long between viewings. It isn't perfect of course... there is some pretty silly stuff here... but it is just fun to watch.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 03:28:36 AM »
Wow... I just found out that the letter E will be giving me some trouble. Most the movies I have that starts with E is horror. Though I do have a couple choices... hopefully I will be more in the mood for one of them tomorrow. :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 04:42:14 AM »
Enter the Dragon isn't an horror film and I'm interested by it (but never think of ordering it). So if it isn't too late and you are in the mood for it, I would like to read your opinion about this film.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 12:02:20 PM »
I already started and gotten into a different movie for E... sorry Jimmy. But I will put it on my list to watch again shortly after the Alphabet marathon.  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »
Damn You Jimmy... now you got me thinking about how long it has been since I watched Enter the Dragon.... looks like I am changing my "E" movie half way through!  :laugh:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
Spooky. It's ages since I've seen Enter The Dragon and I was considering it too. :slaphead:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »
Go for it Jon... I am sure Jimmy would like a second opinion. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »

Title: Enter the Dragon: 25th Anniversary Edition
Year: 1973
Director: Robert Clouse
Rating: R
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Music Only: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Bruce Lee
John Saxon
Jim Kelly
Ahna Capri
Shih Kien
Robert Wall [Bob Wall]

Plot:
Twenty-five years following his untimely death, Bruce Lee remains the movies' supreme martial-arts star. And Enter the Dragon, fully restored, in stereo for the first time and containing 3 minutes not included in the original U.S. theatrical release, stands the test of time as the most popular martial-arts epic in film history. This 25th anniversary edition also includes Bruce Lee: In His Own Words, sharing film, video and audio material from the Lee family archives with fans for the first time ever! It is a good watch... but now this DVD is going back on my shelf for a few years as it is a movie I can only watch so often.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is not my usual type of movie. But it is one I like to watch ever once in a while. This is the first time I watched this one since I first bought it 5 years ago. It is the only title I have with Bruce Lee. But it is one I enjoy. I like the story and the martial arts is fun to watch. This DVD starts off with an introduction from Bruce Lee's wife talking some about her husband and the making of this movie. Also letting us know that some footage was added back into this cut of the movie giving us a version of the movie that Bruce Lee preferred.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 06:38:15 PM »

Title: Fight Club
Year: 1999
Director: David Fincher
Rating: R
Length: 139 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Edward Norton
Brad Pitt
Meat Loaf [Meat Loaf Aday]
Zach Grenier
Richmond Arquette
David Andrews

Plot:
A ticking-time bomb insomniac (Edward Norton) and a slippery soap salesman (Brad Pitt) channel primal male aggression into a shocking new form of therapy. Their concept catches on, with underground "fight clubs" forming in every town, until a sensuous eccentric (Helena Bonham Carter) gets in the way and ignites an out-of-control spiral toward oblivion.

The New York Times raved that FIGHT CLUB "just might require another viewing." Here's your chance. Brace yourself.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Multi-angle
Music Videos
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned
THX
Booklet

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I haven't watched in years! And it is one that I only watched once when I first bought it back in 2000. Not because it is a bad movie... I enjoyed it quite a bit. I just sometimes have a problem going back to movies that are 2hrs long or more. So it takes me years like this. While this is a good and entertaining movie... it is also one you need to give your full attention to. Or you could get a little confused. This is one of the few movies that I actually like Brad Pitt in. I always felt him to be an over rated actor... but he is perfect in this role.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »

Title: Garfield: The Movie
Year: 2004
Director: Pete Hewitt
Rating: PG
Length: 80 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Breckin Meyer
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Stephen Tobolowsky
Bill Murray
Evan Arnold
Mark Christopher Lawrence

Plot:
Talk about livin' large! Garfield (hilariously voiced by Bill Murray) lies around the house, eats lasagna, watches TV and makes wisecracks -- until his owner Jon (Breckin Meyer) falls for a beautiful veterinarian (Jennifer Love Hewitt). When she asks Jon to adopt a sweet pup named Odie, Garfield appears to be in the doghouse. But not for long! When Odie is abducted by a dog trainer, Garfield must get off the couch to rescue the precious pooch.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Music Videos
Closed Captioned
Inside Look: Robots and Because of Winn-Dixie

My Thoughts:
This is a cute family movie. It isn't as funny as I would have expected it to be... but it does have a few laughs in it. I do think Bill Murray was a good choice for the voice of Garfield. I have been a fan of Jennifer Love Hewitt every since the pilot of Ghost Whisperer aired. I think she is a gorgeous young lady... but I have to say... she looks so much better with the long hair. The should length hair that she has in this movie just does not look right to me.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 12:41:04 AM »

Title: Hancock: 2-Disc Unrated Special Edition
Year: 2008
Director: Peter Berg
Rating: Unrated
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Will Smith (1968)
Charlize Theron
Jason Bateman
Jae Head
Eddie Marsan
David Mattey

Plot:
Academy Award® nominee Will Smith (Best Actor, The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006) stars in this action-packed comedy as Hancock, a sarcastic, hard-living and misunderstood superhero who has fallen out of favor with the public.

When Hancock grudgingly agrees to an extreme makeover from idealistic publicist Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman, Juno), his life and reputation rise from the ashes and all seems right again — until he meets a woman (2003 Academy Award® winner Charlize Theron, Best Actress, Monster) with similar powers to his and the key to his secret past.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned
Digital Copy
Theatrical and Unrated Versions

My Thoughts:
This is the second time for me to watch this movie. The first time I watched it... while I liked it... I wasn't completely thrilled with it. But that is because it just wasn't the movie I was expecting from the trailer. So I went into it today hoping I would like it more this time around. And I did enjoy more then I did the last time. I will say that it went downhill a little towards the end of the movie. But for the most part I really enjoyed it. I thought both Will Smith and Charlize Theron were good in it... but I have to admit I wasn't that impressed with Jason Bateman.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 12:43:40 AM »
I never thought I'd bother with Hancock...but I do love Charlize Theron...so now I have a decision to make!  Maybe I can get a cheap combo deal with it and Aeon Flux?  :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 01:16:16 AM »
Aeon Flux is a good one. I know most people don't like it, but not me personally ;D

snowcat

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 01:29:42 AM »
I really like Hancock up until
(click to show/hide)
:/ then I think it goes down hill