Author Topic: Saints-Martyrs-Des-Damnés  (Read 6313 times)

Touti

Saints-Martyrs-Des-Damnés
« on: January 06, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »

Title: Saints-Martyrs-Des-Damnés
Year: 2005
Director: Robin ubert
Rating: 13+ (PG)
Length: 117 Min.
Video:  Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:  French DD 5.1, French DD Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
François Chevrier
Isabelle Blais
Monique Mercure
Monique Miller
Patrice Robitaille

Plot:
'Saints-Martyrs-des-Damnes' follows tabloid reporter Flavien Juste as he investigates strange disappearances in a remote, rundown village. Sent there by his surrogate father, the paper's editor, Flavien thinks it's just another routine assignment. But, then, Flavien's photographer pal Armand suddenly vanishes on their very first night in town. And, everyone in town seems disturbed by the sight of Flavien. Dreams, reality and hallucinations begin to intermingle, and before long he can't even trust his own eyes. Flavien is eventually forced to confront his own mysterious origins as well as accept some newfound responsibilities.

Extras:
Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This is a french thriller/Fantasy/Horror movie made in Quebec.  I've been waiting to see this movie for a long time although I'm not a fan of the genre because I had heard good things about.  After 10 minutes I was already hooked.  Unlike most movies of this type, this doesn't overuse "scary" background music that lets your know that something bad is just about to happen.  It is not loaded with tons of special effects either.  One of the big advantages I always found in movies with limited budget and access to technology is that they have to be creative and come up with different ways of doing things.

The story is well written and deployed slowly over the entire length of the movie.  It was only after watching half of it that I started to see what was happening. It's only at the end that I really found out the whole thing.  That is nice because it keeps you waiting and interested.

Obviously it may not be accessible to all because it's in french but real fans of the genre would probably like it if they don't mind watching a movie with sub-titles.

Pssst: Thanks to Pete for his review format, copy/paste is a lot easier than typing all the BB codes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 04:02:48 PM by Touti »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Saints-Martyrs-Des-Damnés
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Pssst: Thanks to Pete for his review format, copy/paste is a lot easier than typing all the BB codes.
Did you guys use HTML windows to automatically generate these? It is easy and can even generate the link to the cover automatically.

Touti

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:18:50 PM »
Users cannot use HTML in their posts.  Pete had to do it all by hand using BBCODES.  I was lazy, I took on of his and copied it  :-[

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 03:26:14 PM »
Users cannot use HTML in their posts.  Pete had to do it all by hand using BBCODES.  I was lazy, I took on of his and copied it  :-[
Generate a new HTML window in DVDProfiler and copy the following code to it. Then, when you click on a title in Profiler, you will see the BBCode for that title in that window which you can copy and paste to this forum.

Code: [Select]
<html>
<body>
[center][size=15pt][u][b]MOVIE / DVD INFO:[/b][/u][/size][/center]<br/>
<SCRIPT language=javascript>
var a = '<DP NAME="UPC" Formatted="NO">';
document.write('[img]http://www.invelos.com/mpimages/' + a.substring(0,2) + '/' + a + 'f.jpg[/img]' );
</SCRIPT>

<br/>
[b]Title:[/b] <DP NAME="ORIGINAL_TITLE" ShowDesc="NO" UseTitleIfBlank="TRUE"><br/>
[b]Year:[/b] <DP NAME="PRODYEAR"><br/>
[b]Director:[/b] <DP NAME="CREW_DIRECTION"><br/>
[b]Rating:[/b] <DP NAME="RATING"><br/>
[b]Length:[/b] <DP NAME="RUNTIME" TotalInMins="TRUE"> Min.<br/>
[b]Video:[/b] <DP NAME="VIDFORMATS" Ratios="TRUE"><br/>
[b]Audio:[/b] <DP NAME="AUDIOTRACKS" Divider=", "><br/>
[b]Subtitles:[/b] <DP NAME="SUBTITLES" Divider=", "><br/>
<br/>
[b]Stars:[/b]<br/>
<DP NAME="CAST" MaxList="5" Divider="BREAK"><br/>
<br/>
[b]Plot:[/b]<br/>
<DP NAME="OVERVIEW"><br/>
<br/>
[b]Extras:[/b]<br/>
<DP NAME="FEATURES" Divider="BREAK"><br/><br/>
[center][size=15pt][b][u]My Thoughts:[/u][/b][/size][/center]
</body>
</html>
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 05:54:24 PM by TomGaines »

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 03:44:53 PM »
Excellent! :clap: Point awarded.

EDIT: One slight problem with "Runtime" set to "minutes only". Instead of displaying 1 hour and 34 minutes into 94, it displays it as 34.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:49:28 PM by Najemikon »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »
This is one of the few french canadian movie that I own. This is not that I don't want to support our industry but habitually the french canadian are not original, boring or overuse the same actors (Remy Girard, Marc Messier, ...). I've bought this one when it was release and I didn't like it at first, but after a second viewing I find it good. It was fun to see Luc Senay in something else after "La guerre des clans" and the precense of Isabelle Blais is always welcome (she's a very good actress and she's easy on the eyes too).

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:55:22 PM »
EDIT: One slight problem with "Runtime" set to "minutes only". Instead of displaying 1 hour and 34 minutes into 94, it displays it as 34.
I have edited and fixed the above code. I didn't really test it before posting it.

m.cellophane

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 09:52:15 PM »
Generate a new HTML window in DVDProfiler and copy the following code to it. Then, when you click on a title in Profiler, you will see the BBCode for that title in that window which you can copy and paste to this forum.

Sweet!  :thumbup:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »
I wish I had known about this code before I started posting my reviews here, this is great.

I may have to go back and edit all my previously posted reviews. :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
I don't know why I don't use it. Just never been bothered about adding the runtime, etc. :-[

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »
I don't know why I don't use it. Just never been bothered about adding the runtime, etc. :-[

I've tweaked it a bit to make it fit my likes, here's a look at one of my older reviews I edited with it...

It Happened One Night