Author Topic: DCO fourth Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread  (Read 72603 times)

KinkyCyborg

Re: DCO fourth Alphabet Marathon - discussion/review/banter thread
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »
I've got 22 Q movies altogether. Some more titles to throw out that haven't already been mentioned...

The Queen
Queens Logic
Quicksand
The Quiet American (both versions)
The Quick & The Dead (Sam Elliot version)
Quiz Show

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2010, 06:05:07 PM »
I just checked On-Demand for titles starting with Q... of hundreds of movies... only 1! (Quigley Down Under) and that one won't be on there any longer after tomorrow. No way I will get to Q by tomorrow! :P
Pete, I'm sure you know already that the movie doesn't have to start with the letter but only need the letter to appear in the title.

Rogmeister

« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »
I just checked On-Demand for titles starting with Q... of hundreds of movies... only 1! (Quigley Down Under) and that one won't be on there any longer after tomorrow. No way I will get to Q by tomorrow! :P

Maybe you can watch it, type up a review...but save it somewhere and not post it until after you do your P movie?  :whistle:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2010, 06:22:24 PM »
The Ladykillers

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 07, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »
Pete, I'm sure you know already that the movie doesn't have to start with the letter but only need the letter to appear in the title.

I know... that is just my preference. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »

Maybe you can watch it, type up a review...but save it somewhere and not post it until after you do your P movie?  :whistle:

hmmmm... this is true... and something that never really occurred to me. Almost feels a little like cheating... but maybe! :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2010, 06:38:53 PM »
The Ladykillers

Will we ever get reviews in this marathon of yours?  :tease: Mond you, I'm still waiting for your thoughts on Fallen Idol...  :whistle:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2010, 06:47:28 PM »
The Ladykillers

Will we ever get reviews in this marathon of yours?  :tease: Mond you, I'm still waiting for your thoughts on Fallen Idol...  :whistle:

With the trivia game, this marathon and a severe case of writer's block, it may be some time before I finish it.

But it does lead me to one question I've been meaning to ask you.

Brandon de Wilde in Shane drove you nuts, why doesn't the kid in Fallen Idol?

Baines!...Baines!!...Baines!!!...Baines!!!!

Najemikon

« Reply #203 on: July 07, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
The Ladykillers

With the trivia game, this marathon and a severe case of writer's block, it may be some time before I finish it.

But it does lead me to one question I've been meaning to ask you.

Brandon de Wilde in Shane drove you nuts, why doesn't the kid in Fallen Idol?

Baines!...Baines!!...Baines!!!...Baines!!!!

He made me laugh. Especially at the scene where he gets told off and he mutters, "I hate you".  :clap: He had far more personality, despite being a little arsehole at times, than Shane's wind up toy.

snowcat

« Reply #204 on: July 07, 2010, 07:25:57 PM »
I have half written reviews for all the films ive watched so far and not posted  :laugh: ...On to my next film.. I think im gonna watch Office Space :p

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #205 on: July 07, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
I think im gonna watch Office Space :p

I love that film  :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2010, 07:48:58 PM »
Aaarghhh! Now that I went on a Bollywood shopping spree to have some new ones available for this marathon, I have too many to choose from and I cannot decide which one to watch next  :laugh:

Najemikon

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 08, 2010, 02:37:27 AM »
Now I am confused. I thought there was a review (by Antares, maybe) on this site, but I just checked and at least it's not on the list. Then what made me order that film recently...? (It's in the mail and the "F" spot reserved for it.) Or was the YouTube video I remember seeing part of a different review/conversation  :headscratch:

Rogmeister

« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2010, 04:10:52 AM »

Stagecoach: The Criterion Edition
Directed by John Ford  (1939)  96 minutes
Cast: Claire Trevor, John Wayne, Andy Devine, John Carradine, Thomas Mitchell, Louise Platt, George Bancroft, Donald Meek, Berton Churchill, Tim Holt, Tom Tyler

I think most people know about Stagecoach...it is a classic western, released in 1939, and usually makes the list when people are compiling lists of the top ten westerns ever made...heck, it's usually in the top five.  It deals with the people crowded into a stagecoach that is passing through Indian territory as Geronimo is on the warpath.  The passengers (in a film that, at the time of its release, was billed as a sort of Grand Hotel on wheels) include an escaped outlaw (John Wayne), a hooker with a heart of gold (Claire Trevor, though back then they never came right out and said that's what she was), a drunken doctor (Thomas Mitchell in an Oscar-winning performance), a dapper southern gambler (John Carradine) and a whiskey drummer (Donald Meek).   Of course, just when it looks like they're home free...but that would be telling.  This film deserves its legendary status and needs to be seen by everyone who can enjoy a good western adventure.

I've enjoyed Stagecoach in a number of formats.  My first copy was in the days before home video...I had a complete copy on Super 8 Sound film.  Since then I think I've had it on VHS and one or two other formats.  This is the second or third version I've gotten on DVD.  I also have a 2-disc special edition from Warner Brothers so it seems odd The Criterion Collection felt the need to also release their own versiion.   The picture quality looks to be on a par with the WB version...but it doesn't really look superior to it by my eye.  However, both the Criterion and WB versions each have their own special features (including two different audio commentaries) and I will likely keep both copies.  Extras on the Criterion edition includes an interview with John Ford, a silent Ford western titled Bucking Broadway, and other features.

Stagecoach, by the way, was remade in the 1960s...which is an edition to avoid, as is the one made in the 1980s featuring country music legends Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Waylon Jennings.  But for the 1939 original, I give it my heartiest recommendation.   :thumbup: