Author Topic: The No-Goal, No-Theme, unwatched Marathon Discussion Thread  (Read 2803 times)

RossRoy

The No-Goal, No-Theme, unwatched Marathon Discussion Thread
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:48:47 AM »
I don't know if many people will want to discuss it or anything, but I had to talk about it a little ;)

I just watched the new Futurama feature: Bender's Big Score!

That felt really good! The return of Futurama was pure bliss! The story is a bit convoluted, but I like how they play with the time travel paradoxes.

But I have a MAJOR gripe with this release: The stinking packaging! Now, There's some notice about being the movie being "carbon neutral", which I guess means it is eco-friendly, which is all good. Problem is, in using a non-standard packaging and reducing it to a bare minimum, they created they worst piece of crap I've ever seen! Pull the box by the wrong edge, and the content goes flying right off the box! There's no hub holding the disc in place, you slide it into a slot into the cardboard. And the cardboard they used, is so flimsy it doesn't even hold anything in place! And it's a shame, because there's a nice lenticular dual image cover, that I'll probably "lose" in the move to a proper DVD case. And why am I moving it to a proper DVD case? Well, the disc flew out 3 times just today! And that's enough. I'm not risking my disc just for the sake of the environment or whatever reason they decided to have such crap packaging for this release.

m.cellophane

Re: The No-Goal, No-Theme, unwatched Marathon Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 04:48:05 AM »
I think this is my first official DVD Collectors marathon  :hmmmm: and I wasn't quite sure where to post the comments on my films.  :shrug: So I already started my own thread:slaphead:

Oops.  :laugh:

As for this marathon, I'm enjoying it. It's forcing me to look for things I haven't watched. I went through my collection and tried to do a bit of flagging in order to identify the task at hand.  :o I soon realized that I was having trouble remembering if I had seen something before or not. Have I just seen it in passing on TV? If I did see it, do I remember anything about it?   :-[

So obviously, this is a perfect marathon for me.  :laugh: :bag:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:27:49 PM »
I liked this marathon a lot. Especially because my unwatched pile has shrunken significantly.

But what now... :hmmmm:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:20:37 AM »
Me I'm not happy with this marathon  >:(

All my DVD are watched now and I will have to buy again if I want to see some new movie  >:(

(click to show/hide)

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:38:21 AM »
The concept for this marathon was great. The only problem was that it doesn't come with a hefty dose of extra available time to actually watch the discs! This must be the WORST marathon performance I ever had!

Oh well, there's always February...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 02:11:07 AM »
This must be the WORST marathon performance I ever had!

Maybe it's because you have include 2 TV series seasons in it. It's much more to watch than 2 films

RossRoy

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 02:28:14 AM »
This must be the WORST marathon performance I ever had!

Maybe it's because you have include 2 TV series seasons in it. It's much more to watch than 2 films

Yeah, but I ended up watching TV series, because I couldn't find time to actually fit movies. It was much easier to fit 42-43 minutes episodes, than 90-120 minutes movies  ;D  We'll see how next month goes! ;)

Do we have a theme?

m.cellophane

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 04:45:20 AM »
I liked the concept, but I agree that it didn't inject more time into my life with which to watch them.  :redcard:  :laugh:

I also found that I started a few and didn't finish them. Then I'd start something else without finishing the first.  :weirdo:

And I suddenly had the urge to watch things I had seen before.  :hmmmm:

But I did watch some unwatched, so I'll call it a qualified successful attempt.  :-\

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 07:07:29 AM »
By the time I post this it is pretty much February for all of us...

If it's easy to do and "quick and dirty" I'll attempt to join the February marathon. I only have 20 days, but I am off the next 11 days, so I could do some watching in that period...

I like the January marathon, as it helped me too to get some stuff off the unwatched pile.

As for TV Series, I watched one and counted it as 1 event only. However, I think we may want to consider allowing to count them per disc in the future (if it fits the marathon), as that usually roughly equals a long movie...