Author Topic: The Karate Kid (2010)  (Read 13684 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Karate Kid (2010)
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 10:48:08 PM »
I think this will be a fun movie. I will wait until it is released on DVD and pick it up for viewing when I'm babysitting the gang of 4.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »
Because I use our forum rating system with the smiley, I also do not have 1/2 stars. So movies which have just barely made the 4 stars (a strong 3 1/2 stars) will have the same rating as movies which just barely missed the 5 stars (a weak 4 1/2 stars). I often was thinking about switching the system, but I like our rating system.

Najemikon

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 10:59:18 PM »
Yeah, you just round up or round down.

I suppose it comes down to how you rate and I always think: what did the director/writer/producer intend and did they achieve it? How talented are those involved and does it actually matter? How does it reflect on the genre, on cinema in general? But more important than any of that is, am I enjoying it for what it is?

I'm generally optimistic about films. I'm rarely insulted, but can be disappointed and the thing I mark down most for is where the key artist has compromised the original idea for whatever reason. Four stars usually needs something that wasn't necessary

If I really do make you go " :o ", comment and say so!

Breaking down The Karate Kid:

* - It's called Karate Kid and set in China. Duh. Stars a kid who's there because his dad greased palms. It's a remake of a film I was very fond of. Can't be any good.
** - The story still works, but the cast are too young. Still, everyone is playing up to their strengths. It's predictable, but hey ho. I'm not bored.
*** - Jackie Chan is awesome! Stupid romance plot, but the cast work really well together and the choreography is great. It's exciting stuff and it ticks all the boxes. Newbies will enjoy it without cynicism.
**** (or 3.5!) - There's stuff here that wasn't needed yet works so well. Brief cameo from Michelle Yeoh is breathtaking. Performance of Smith and Chan in the car scene proves the talent of both of them and together they gel so well. It's a film that could have been easier to make, but some considerable effort has been made. Intentions of everyone on screen are clearly honest. It's bringing Chan to a new audience and it's a story that still has value.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »
I have to either round up or down with ratings at Epinions too.  I usually mentioned at the end of the review when I've decided to round up.

Incidentally, I just saw this one too..almost posted about it here last night, but I decided I'd posted enough for the night with the other movies I posted about.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 11:39:46 PM »
If I really do make you go " :o ", comment and say so!

How about for every star you give, I put a corresponding  :o

;)  :laugh:

snowcat

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 11:45:50 PM »
I really dislike rating films :s I like to think someone can't tell whether I like or dislike a film by my review :p (I apologise for any misspent words I'm using an iPod)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
I really dislike rating films :s I like to think someone can't tell whether I like or dislike a film by my review :p (I apologise for any misspent words I'm using an iPod)

I'd like to buy a vowel Pat  ;) :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 11:56:58 PM »

I'd like to buy a vowel Pat  ;) :laugh:

And I'm on my phone, so let's havea spell off! ;)

But you're right Emma. A well written review should express what the film is like without a rating. The Empire forums really wind me up because the comments are so ignorant and threaten physical violence because of a rating.

Critter

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 01:49:16 AM »
I wasn't sure about this one but it looked alright from the trailer. Your review has made me want to give it a go Jon.

Najemikon

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 02:45:11 AM »
It's harmless fun, Sophie. I'm interested to see what Marie thinks too, sitting there teasing us with a "I've seen this" comment... ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 02:59:11 AM »
I'm trying to get another review done to post on Epinions...but I'll post about this one tonight before I go watch something else...I promise.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 03:01:23 AM »

After reading the review I'm almost surprised it came out with 3 1/2 stars. Pardon me if I go with spill.com on this one.

While it's certainly a problem to be a big star's kid, if you have talent you can overcome it and stand on your own eventually (as grown up, not the cute kid he is now); I'll cite Michael Douglas as example :P

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »
I'm back.  :)

The Karate Kid

I have seen the original movie several times, though it has been years since the last time I saw it.  I had the book version too that I read many times.  Since it has been so long since the last time that I've seen the original, I don't remember everything.

From what I can remember, the basic plot of a single woman moving to a new city with her son is the same.  The big difference is that Sherry and Dre are going to China, so they have a new language to learn and they don't know the culture.  A lot of things are different for them in China, but unfortunately for Dre, there are bullies there too.  Most of the movie is focused on Dre learning kung fu from Mr. Han, the maintenance man for the apartment building.  The movie does end up being predictable, but I still think it is very entertaining.  There is a lot that is like the original movie, but there are also differences as well.  

At one point, Dre is shown attempting to learn some karate from a show on tv.  That is all the karate that is in the movie.  Mr. Han knows kung fu, as does Cheng, the vicious bully that targets Dre.  It really would have made more sense for the movie to be called The Kung Fu Kid instead.  People shouldn't dismiss the movie because of the screwy title though.  I think the plot works well overall as an entertaining, and mostly fun movie.  There are a few more serious moments every so often, but they don't get overly dramatic either.  The pacing works for the most part, though it does slow up a bit during scenes between Dre and Meiying, a girl who is nice to Dre.  There is an attempt to add a romance that feels more awkward than anything given how young the characters are.  

There is a lot of fighting throughout the movie, which does add violence.  The violence isn't that graphic or excessive, but it does get intense at times.  A few scenes, usually involving Cheng or one of his flunky friends, are a bit difficult to watch.  Cheng is ruthless and vicious in a way that is highly disturbing.  It is even worse because of how young he is.  Master Li has a twisted way of teaching kung fu that has really warped Cheng into a potential killer.  This bully doesn't just push people around and take their lunch money.  He can and will beat the shit out of them.  The fighting scenes are very well done, though since I don't know anything about kung fu, I have no clue how accurate they are.  Dre does develop into a good fighter, though it isn't made clear how long he is actually training.  From what I remember, the tournament plays out the same as the original movie, though there is a different move used at a critical moment.

I haven't seen Jaden Smith in anything before this.  I think he did a really good job with the part.  He has gotten the opportunity because of who his dad is, but he isn't talentless.  He displays a wide range of emotions throughout the movie..much more than I expected.  There is more to his performance than what has been seen in the trailers and Dre is a bit more complicated than he seems at first.  He acts like he has a bit of an attitude when they first get to China, but that is how a lot of kids act around others their age..trying to act tougher than they are...or just bragging and not being able to fully back it up.  Dre does go through changes by the end of the movie.

Mr. Han doesn't say much at first and doesn't act that friendly, even once he decides to train Dre.  Mr. Han has his own way of dealing with things and he looks at kung fu differently than Master Li.  Mr. Han is definitely more complicated than he seems at first.  He and Dre play off each other really well.  If that relationship hadn't worked, the movie wouldn't have worked.  Jackie Chan is wonderful in the part.  I've enjoyed his other movies that I've seen, but I haven't seen him play a part like this before.  I think this is the best I've ever seen him act.  His fighting, which I've always thought was impressive, is still amazing.  The scene when he deals with the bullies is amazing.

Cheng is a rather flat character, but he works well as the bully.  He has trained with Master Li who teaches by drilling the idea of no mercy - ever - into his students.  That makes for a twisted bully.  Cheng is almost always surrounded by his group of friends who also train with Master Li.  Meiying is nice enough, but she is also a flat character.  Sherry is around in enough scenes to show concern for her son.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie and think it is one of the few remakes that works.  A lot of what happens is predictable, but there is enough new things added in here and there to help keep it interesting.  

- and I didn't round up for 3 and half.  I think it is 4 stars.

I did post a review at Epinions a few days ago if anyone would like to look.
The Karate Kid
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:58:02 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »
Marie could you add the title in the upper part of your reviews? It's because if it appears on the front page the guests won't have any idea of what you are talking about.

And no my idea haven't change... I won't watch this in my lifetime, for me some things are insulting and this film is one of them. Sorry if I sound stubborn or harsh, but it's a stupid movie idea for a younger audience who don't know better.

Critter

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
And no my idea haven't change... I won't watch this in my lifetime, for me some things are insulting and this film is one of them. Sorry if I sound stubborn or harsh, but it's a stupid movie idea for a younger audience who don't know better.

:hysterical:

It's kind of funny, but that little paragraph perfectly sums up my opinion of the Twilight franchise. The only difference being that I do watch them so that I have the right to rant about how horrible they are. After all, even though I know it is going to be terrible, I can never dismiss something without watching or reading it.