Author Topic: The Incredibles  (Read 5655 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Incredibles
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:56:46 AM »
The Incredibles

From the Academy Award®-winning* creators of Finding Nemo comes the action-packed animated adventure about the mundane and incredible lives of a house full of superheroes.

Bob Parr and his wife Helen used to be among the world's greatest crime fighters, saving lives and battling evil on a daily basis. Fifteen years later, they have been forced to adopt civilian identities and retreat to the suburbs where they live "normal" lives with their three kids, Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack. Itching to get back into action, Bob gets his chance when a mysterious communication summons him to a remote island for a top secret assignment. He soon discovers that it will take a super family effort to rescue the world from total destruction.

Exploding with fun and featuring an all-new animated short film, this spectacular 2-disc collector's edition DVD is high-flying entertainment for everyone. "It's James Bond, Indiana Jones and the X-Men all rolled into one." – Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

* 2003, Best Animated Feature

My Thoughts

I love this movie...though that probably isn't a surprise since I love all Pixar movies.  :)

I first saw this one in the theater when it came out and I've watched it several times on DVD.  I love the plot of having superheroes having to live like normal people.  With how quick so many people are to sue over everything now, I thought it was believable that superheroes were sued for helping people...or like Mr. Incredible...messing up that guy's death.  I like the dynamic with the family and how they all have their own abilities and issues.  The plot does end up being a bit more complicated than it seemed at first.  It is very entertaining and I was surprised by more than one thing that happened.  The humor works really well without getting overly silly or resorting to gross humor. 

The animation is wonderful.  Everything has a unique look.  It is sort of retro and futuristic at the same time.  The characters look good, though they aren't realistic looking humans.  The proportions on the bodies - like Mirage's teeny tiny waist - are a bit exaggerated, but that manages to work for the characters.  The hair, especially on Violet, looks amazing and moves so realistically.  The various settings in the movie all have interesting looks. 

The characters are all interesting and entertaining.  I think it is very believable that Bob is struggling to deal with his normal life.  Helen seems to have adjusted a bit more, though she has her own issues.  The children seem believable and they aren't annoying.  Syndrome makes a wonderful villain and his motivation works for the movie.  For me, the character of Edna stole every scene she was in.  I loved her and wish she would have been around a bit more.  And her no cape thing makes sense too. 

Unfortunately, this one isn't out on Blu-ray yet.  I have the 2 disc DVD.  There are a lot of interesting extras focused on the making of the movie.  I really enjoyed them.  There is a cute animated short that shows what goes on at home with Jack Jack too that is really funny and entertaining.

This movie has held up very well and I still love it.  It is definitely worth watching.

I posted a review on Epinions after seeing the movie in the theater in 2004.

The Incredibles

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: The Incredibles
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:08:24 PM »
The Incredibles
... "It's James Bond, Indiana Jones and the X-Men all rolled into one." – Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
I'm actually wondering now if the Watchmen comic was an inspiration for this.
Matthias

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »
The Incredibles
... "It's James Bond, Indiana Jones and the X-Men all rolled into one." – Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
I'm actually wondering now if the Watchmen comic was an inspiration for this.

Below Jon's comment when I remarked in my review, that The Incredibles seemed like a better version of the Fantastic Four.

Better than Fantastic Four? True, but also, I always felt this was a lighter version of the Watchmen story.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »
Wow, well remembered, Tom! :thumbup:

Watchmen the comic basically took hold of the comic genre and gave it a damn good shake and for the first time, people were looking at the classic comic characters as potentially old and fallible. What if they retired? What if they went out of control? Etc.

You have Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, with an driven, slightly nuts Batman; Marvels, a reporters perspective of life with superhumans marching around; The Kingdom, a gorgeously painted story about classic DC characters in the distant future, including a sombre, greying Superman; and most recently, The Boys, which I commented on elsewhere, which takes the idea to a new level, presenting superhumans as perverted maniacs!

The Incredibles is absolutely one of this breed.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 11:26:43 PM »
Somehow I didn't think of that before, but it totally fits.

Critter

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 01:08:34 AM »
Computer animated films about heroes and villians seems to be all the rage right now, what with Despicable Me and MegaMind coming out soon. I have seen the trailers for both of those films and honestly, I don't want to see either of them.I will probably watch them eventually but I have a feeling they won't live up to, or anywhere close to how fantastic The Incredibles is. It has actually always been one of my favourite Pixar films and I love how it balances light humour with some very dark situations, I also think that Syndrome is a really well thought out villian. Pixar villians are usually quite unique though as far as villians go. I mean we have everything from an elderly old man in a balloon, a cute pink teddy bear to an evil grasshopper and an automatic wheel.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 02:37:16 AM »
I agree with Pixar villains..they are so varied and unique, unlike with some other movies where it just seems to be the same thing over and over.

The Shrek movies have just had different people trying to take over Far Far Away...slightly different reasons, but still.  The characters aren't that different.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 02:40:57 AM »
I saw the trailer for Despicable Me and was not really impressed. Looked like a series of skids, rather than a film. The minions seemed interesting, but couldn't sustain 90min of film. I didn't know there's a second one coming.

Just give me The Incredibles on Blu-ray instead and I'll be fine.

Critter

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 02:53:11 AM »
I saw the trailer for Despicable Me and was not really impressed. Looked like a series of skids, rather than a film. The minions seemed interesting, but couldn't sustain 90min of film. I didn't know there's a second one coming.

The second one, MegaMind is the latest Dreamworks offering I believe. Which means lots of A grade star celebrities doing voices but probably a crappy storyline. We will see though, I certainly won't judge it until after I have seen it.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 03:00:52 AM »
Dreamworks is really cranking them out...MegaMind will make 3 for this year.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 06:48:55 AM »
Just give me The Incredibles on Blu-ray instead and I'll be fine.
Seems like an official announcement may be coming soon :yahoo:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 07:06:38 AM »
Woohoo  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Ok..I'm calm now.  :lol

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 07:09:58 AM »
Can I expect the same kind reaction for the DVD and BR release I just posted about :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 07:42:42 AM »
If I had seen that movie and liked it I would have.  But I've never seen that one.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 07:52:12 AM »