Author Topic: Cars  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Cars
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »
Cars

Disney/PIXAR Cars, the high-octane adventure comedy from the creators of Toy Story, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo, now looks and sounds better than ever in this Blu-ray Disc® created from the original digital source file.

Hotshot race car Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) is living life in the fast lane – until he hits a detour and gets stranded in Radiator Springs, a forgotten town on the old Route 66. There he meets Sally, Mater, Doc Hudson (Paul Newman), and a heap of hilarious characters who help him discover there's more to life than trophies and fame.

Go deeper into the world of Cars than you ever dreamed possible in eye-popping visual clarity. Feel the sound of roaring engines and rock to the rhythm of some smokin' roadhouse riffs with audio enhancement that puts the pedal to the metal! Experience Cars for the first time on Disney Blu-ray™ – Magic in High Definition.

My Thoughts

After getting the Blu-ray on Monday, I decided it was time to watch this one again. 

I don't like any type of racing, though I have seen some at times.  I just don't care to watch cars driving around in a huge circle for hours, but I loved this movie.

When I first saw the movie, I thought the animation was gorgeous, especially the landscapes.  Well, it looks even better on Blu.  The level of detail visible is freaking awesome, and I uttered more than one holy shit while watching this one.  The landscapes are so beautiful and detailed, showing the dust and rocks and the cracks in the road.  Dust, smoke, and mist looks amazing throughout the movie.  The cars, while clearing being cartoon characters since they have the giant eyes for windshields and mouths on the front bumpers, look wonderful.  The colors on them are gorgeous, especially in scenes when light hits them.  Reflections are visible in many scenes, especially on the chrome of many cars.  During the scene when the neon signs are on, the way those lights is reflected on the different cars is stunning.  I noticed all sorts of details that I didn't notice before, like some of the logos and stickers on the race cars.  The lighting in various scenes looks so realistic, like when Sally and Lightning go on their drive and the sun is filtered through the leaves of the trees along the side of the road.  Everything just looks so awesome..there are not enough words to describe how good everything looks.  The sounds of the cars, especially during the races is so realistic.

The base story isn't the most original since it is a bit like Doc Hollywood ..and probably some other movies that I can't remember at the moment as well - but it ends up working so well.  Having all the living things be cars or some form of vehicle is really cool and I really liked it.  It could be too different for some people, but I think it makes for a fun movie.  The humor works really well.  There are silly moments - like just about everything with Mater...the tractor tipping - but it all works.  The movie also touches on more serious things as well in a way that works perfectly for the movie. 

I do like the characters.  Every car has their own personality.  Mater is goofy and a bit of a hick, and sometimes he does act a bit like a puppy...he bounces around at times like a playing puppy and wags his tow cable like a tail.  Lightning has problems, but he ends up being likable overall.  There isn't exactly a villain in the movie...though Chick comes really close.  He is a huge jerk of character and Michael Keaton did a great job with the voice.

During the credits, they do little scenes from some of the other movies with cars as characters..and they even got the original cast back to do the voices.  I loved those.  There is a nice dedication to Joe Ranft as well, showing the different characters he did voices for.

The extras on the Blu-ray are wonderful.  There is footage from when Lasseter, Ranft, and some of the other animators working on the movie took a trip along Route 66 for research.  They found a truck that looks like Mater.  The different little short segments on the making of the movie show all the care and dedication that went into the making of the movie.  They made researched different car styles and made sure that the colors for the cars fit for the paint available for those models - like the color of Doc.   I think all the research helps to make the movie stronger overall.

I love this movie and am very glad that I picked up the Blu-ray.

I did post a review on Epinions after I first saw the movie.

Cars