Author Topic: Marvel Movie Marathon  (Read 17508 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel Movie Marathon
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »
When I first saw the title in your weekend marathon I knew already it would be a replacing review link weekend... Looks like I wasn't wrong ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »

Title: Spider-Man 3: 2-Disc Special Edition
Year: 2007
Director: Sam Raimi
Rating: PG-13
Length: 139 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Tobey Maguire
Kirsten Dunst
James Franco
Thomas Haden Church
Topher Grace
Bryce Dallas Howard

Plot:
Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) finally has the girl of his dreams, Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst), and New York City is in the throes of Spider-mania! But when a strange alien symbiote turns Spider-Man's suit black, his darkest demons come to light - changing Spider-Man inside as well as out. Spider-Man is in for the fight of his life against a lethal mix of villains - the deadly Sandman (Thomas Haden Church), Venom (Topher Grace), and the New Goblin (James Franco) - as well as the enemy within himself.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Music Videos
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is actually only the second time I seen this movie. Unfortunately there is a reason for that. As big of a Spider-Man fan as I am... this is a bit difficult for me to say. But the franchise took a bit of a nose-dive for me with this movie. I mean it is still a decent movie... but it just had so much more potential. Maybe if they didn't try to cram so much into it. I mean they had no less then 3 supervillians in this one movie. Maybe if they concentrated on just one or no more then two at once they would have been able to make it better. And how they handled his... what would you call it? I guess for the lack of a better term... possession that Peter went through with Venom. It just didn't work for me. It seemed to make Peter more idiotic then so much aggressive. What was up with all that stupid dancing? Dancing down the street. Some stupid dance show in that club MJ was singing in... It just didn't fit for me. With all that said... it is still Spider-Man... it is still loaded with action... it still looked incredible.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 07:08:55 PM »
ohhh... look Jimmy... never reviewed that one before!  :o  :tease:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 07:22:17 PM »
I mean they had no less then 3 supervillians in this one movie. Maybe if they concentrated on just one or no more then two at once they would have been able to make it better.
They didn't learn from the eighties Batman movies :whistle:
A movie full of vilains doesn't work (that's why I like Superman, Flash Gordon, Daredevil and a couple of others. But not so for the large majority of this genre of film)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »

Title: Ultimate Avengers: The Movie
Year: 2006
Director: Bob Richardson
Length: 71 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.77:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Trivia

Stars:
Justin Gross
Grey DeLisle
Michael Massee
Marc Worden
Olivia D'Abo
Nan McNamara

Plot:
A world in crisis. Age-old enemies on the verge of attack. A mighty team is recruited, and Earth's ultimate hero is sought to lead them — Captain America. Unfortunately, he's been frozen in ice for over sixty years.

Inspired by Marvel's best-selling books, "The Ultimates," this is the extraordinary story of six very independent heroes who, like it or not, must fight as one to save the world. Little did they know that their biggest threat would emerge from within their very own ranks — The Incredible Hulk!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I got this through Amazon Marketplace very cheap. After watching it I feel like I got a heck of a deal... because I enjoyed every minute of it!  I was never familiar with The Avengers... but always liked both Captain America and Iron Man. But before this movie I never even heard of a few of them (Wasp, Giant Man & Black Widow). I really enjoyed seeing the team get together. I did get a kick out of the line where after seeing Thor, Giant Man asks "Who's the chick with the hammer" and Iron Man adds... "Whoever she is... I'm glad she is on our side"  :laugh:

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 09:54:37 PM »
The studio insisted on having Venom in the movie even though Raimi had the script with Sandman and Green Goblin..or Hobgobblin I guess he was called.

There is just too much crammed into the movie for anything to be dealt with properly....much like what happened with X-Men: The Last Stand.  Too many story lines and they all ended up being crappy.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »
Unfortunately :(
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 10:03:06 PM »
I wouldn't have minded Venom if the story had been done right...and if he and the stuff with the suit had been the main focus.

It would have been better just to hint at the suit stuff in this one...and set up stuff for another movie dealing with the suit taking over Peter..and then Venom.  The way it was done, the character was a waste.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
Agree... but then we would have been a little disappointed if we still didn't get a 4th movie. :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
True...but least the third movie would have been stronger.  I think some of the backlash from the 3rd is why Sony is starting over already with the series..which still seems like a dumb move to me.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
I definitely agree.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »
I think the series could have still recovered if they did the 4th movie properly. 
Oh well.  Hopefully things would get messed up too much with the new movies. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »

Title: Ultimate Avengers 2: Rise of the Panther
Year: 2006
Director: Will Meugniot, Richard Sebast
Length: 73 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.77:1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Justin Gross
Grey DeLisle
Michael Massee
Marc Worden
Olivia d'Abo
Nan McNamara

Plot:
To save humanity, the Earth's mightiest heroes must reunite for a rematch of heroic proportions.

Mysterious Wakanda. It lies in the darkest heart of Africa, unknown to most of the world. An isolated land hidden behind closed borders, fiercely protected by its young king — the BLACK PANTHER. But when brutal alien invaders attack, that leaves the Black Panther with no option but to go against the sacred decrees of his people and ask for help from outsiders. And so he turns to...

THE AVENGERSCaptain America, Iron Man, Thor, Giant Man, Wasp, Black Widow and the Incredible Hulk. These mightiest of heroes have battles the aliens before and barely survived. They thought it was over. They were wrong.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers
DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
Before these animated movies I obviously wasn't too familiar with the Avengers. In the first movie I didn't know most of the team. In this one it is the first time I ever heard of the Black Panther. I enjoyed it quite a bit... though I was surprised to see one of the Avengers dying in the movie. Definitely worth checking out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 03:53:41 PM »
I wouldn't have minded Venom if the story had been done right...and if he and the stuff with the suit had been the main focus.

It would have been better just to hint at the suit stuff in this one...and set up stuff for another movie dealing with the suit taking over Peter..and then Venom.  The way it was done, the character was a waste.

In the comic, the black suit was just an excuse for a change of colour! But it meant they could bring Venom in very slowly and sent Peter nuts, until he finally gets the traditional suit back on. That's a two film arc at least. ::)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »

Title: Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
Year: 2008
Director: Jay Oliva
Rating: PG
Length: 78 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Noah Crawford [Noah C. Crawford]
Brenna O'Brien
Aidan Drummond
Dempsey Pappion [Dempsey M. Pappion]
Adrian Petriw
Tom Kane

Plot:
Whenever the forces of evil threatened mankind, Earth's mightiest heroes, the Avengers, were there to stop them — until they made the ulitmate sacrifice in their final fight with the indestructible robot, Ultron. But all was not lost for Tony Stark (Iron Man) kept the children of the Avengers safe and raised them to become the teenage heroes of tomorrow. Now James (son of Captain America and Black Widow), Torunn (daughter of Thor), Azari (son of the Black Panther), and Pym (son of Wasp and Giant Man) must finish the fight their parents started. Soon the arrow-slinging son of Hawkeye will join their ranks, but it will take more than five teens to destroy the machine that defeated their parents. If these young heroes have any hope of winning, they must find the missing Hulk and come together as... the Next Avengers!

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is another one I liked a lot. It was fun not only seeing the kids of the Avengers... but also seeing an old Tony Stark/Iron Man and an old Bruce Banner/Hulk. I must admit though... I do prefer the original Avengers. Some of those are my old time favorites after all. But it is cool to see what they next generation of Avengers is like.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete