Author Topic: Get Him to the Greek  (Read 4093 times)

Critter

Get Him to the Greek
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:36:38 AM »
Get Him to the Greek
(2010)

Director: Nicholas Stoller

Plot: A record company intern is hired to accompany out-of-control British rock star Aldous Snow to a concert at L.A.'s Greek Theater.

Cast: Jonah Hill, Russell Brand, Rose Byrne, Elisabeth Moss, Aziz Ansari, Sean 'P. Diddy' Combs.

My Thoughts:
I never planned on seeing this film but I ended up going last night in a group of 6 people (I didn’t choose this film in particular). Get Him to the Greek was essentially a strange sort of spin-off to Forgetting Sarah Marshall, only not a spin-off in the traditional sense as Jonah Hill plays two different characters in both of the films. I have never really been a fan of Jonah Hill but he did manage to hold his own in this film against Russell Brand which is no mean feat, I would be lying however if I said that Brand didn’t steal the show.

Overall I was a bit unimpressed with this film, it did have some very funny moments but I went in expecting a somewhat shallow piece of light entertainment and that’s exactly what I got. It’s not something I could see myself viewing again anytime soon but it was a fun way to pass 2 or so hours with friends. I just felt that not a lot really happened in this film, a lot of scenes seemed to drive it in no direction at all and some of the jokes seemed to be added in as an afterthought. In the end there was a handful of funny moments to carry this along and Brands performance is enough to keep you at least interested until the end of the film but I just didn’t enjoy this one as much as say, Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

2½/5

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Get Him to the Greek
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:48:39 AM »
I wasn't really wanting to see this one.  I really don't care for Jonah Hill at all.

If it shows up on HBO, I might watch it..otherwise, I don't think I'll bother.

Critter

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:02:36 AM »
That's probably a wise idea Marie. We really only saw it because we wanted to go to the cinema and Toy Story 3 wasn't out yet.

snowcat

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »
Its a shame this film has Judd Apatows name on it, I personally did not like Forgetting Sarah Marshall and this has only had bad reviews.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 02:54:35 AM »
Its a shame this film has Judd Apatows name on it, I personally did not like Forgetting Sarah Marshall and this has only had bad reviews.
So if it wouldn't have Apatow's name on it it would be good...? Or it's a waste of his name?

snowcat

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 10:26:07 AM »
So if it wouldn't have Apatow's name on it it would be good...? Or it's a waste of his name?

I mean its a waste of his name, I love Judd Apatow, I just think some of his more recent production credits have been very bad, Year One also comes to mind.

Critter

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 02:00:52 PM »
It may be a waste of his name but in the end he was the Producer of Get Him to the Greek. He signed up for this and I doubt he would have signed up blindly, he knew what the film was about etc. Sometimes people just get involved with crap movies.

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »
Comedy is hit and miss, to be honest its not easy to tell how well something will do by reading it, also... these guys (actors and director) are his friends...maybe he just wanted to work with them again?

... I think when you make so many movies you are always gonna make crap ones, some of Apatows best work isn't well known at all.

Im not saying he signed up blindly, I just think its sad because I generally like his stuff.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 04:54:05 PM »
some of Apatows best work isn't well known at all.
I love Freaks & Geeks.

snowcat

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »
Freaks and Geeks is a good example, so is the film Walk Hard... its sad really, Apatow has the potential to be great, but all his crappy films get negative press and the good ones get no press.