Author Topic: dfmorgan's Studio Ghibli Marathon  (Read 37574 times)

W0m6at

Re: dfmorgan's Studio Ghibli Marathon
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »
The teaser for the next Ghibli film is out:

Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrowers)

Courtesy of Affenheimtheater blog

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind
Original Title: Kaze no tani no Naushika
Year: 1984
Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Rating: PG
Length: 117 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Japanese: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Sumi Shimamoto
Mahito Tsujimura
Hisako Kyôda
Gorô Naya
Ichirô Nagai

Plot:
From one of the most celebrated filmmakers in the history of animation and the creator of the Academy Award®-winning Spirited Away comes Hayao Miyazaki's epic masterpiece Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind.

A thousand years after a global war, a seaside kingdom known as the Valley of the Wind remains one of only a few areas still populated. Led by the courageous Princess Nausicaä, the people of the Valley are engaged in a constant struggle with powerful insects called Ohmu, who guard a poisonous jungle that is spreading across the Earth. Nausicaä and her brave companions, together with the people of the Valley, strive to restore the bond between humanity and the Earth.

Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind is written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. And this spectacular 2-Disc Set features exotic settings, impactful music and a timeless story about courage and compassion in the face of danger.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Storyboard Comparisons
Closed Captioned
THX
THX Optimizer

My Thoughts:

The world was devastated a thousand years ago and now there just a few populated areas. The rest of the world is being taken over by a forest of insects and fungus, the Sea of Decay. Princess Nausicaä lives in the Valley of the Wind and often flies, on her jet glider, to the encroaching forest. The valley and its peoples are brought into conflict with other Kingdoms after a Tolmekian airship crashes in their valley killing all on board apart from one item of cargo and a Princess from Pejite. The airship also brings spores from the forest to the valley. It is revealed that the item of cargo remaining from the crash is from the times before the devastation and that the Tolmekians hope to use it to destroy the forest. The Pejite also hope to use that item and attack the valley with the Ohmu, insects from the forest. Nausicaä sacrifices herself to save the valley and the world. There is so much more in the film but I couldn't put into words what I wanted to say without writing out a full plot and synopsis.

A wonderful film to my mind an ecological thriller, a theme to which Hayao Miyazaki will return, with a nod to the Gaia theory where the Earth is a sentient being and will heal herself.

A masterful 5 of course

Dave

Review Addendum: After cogitating overnight I have decided to add a little extra to this review as much of my writing above wasn't really a review.

Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind was made in 1984 and is generally accepted as the first Studio Ghibli film even though the studio wasn't founded until the following year. As well as the theme mentioned above there are many other things, some that have become Miyazaki trademarks, to be seen in this film. The way that insects and other small creatures crawl and run up and down the forest and abandoned buildings that the forest is slowly consuming. The way that spores and seeds float through the air and glisten in the sunlight. How the wind is displayed rustling the grass and leaves of the fields and trees. The use of childen within the film. A strong female lead character. A minor plot point that can be easily overlooked is actually a major plot point at the end, here it is how the colour of Nausicaä's dress is changed and the effect it has later. The way the characters are drawn and their interactions. These all add together to make a standout film.

Dave

ETA original title
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:34:38 AM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

W0m6at

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 12:33:21 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Have you read the manga? It's far grander, and an epic story, although it can be tricky to keep up with who is who.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
Have you read the manga? It's far grander, and an epic story, although it can be tricky to keep up with who is who.

I've got volumes 1 to 4 of the early US Viz Perfect Collection, the flopped copies. I started to read them but for some reason never finished volume 1. Think I'll give them another now I've rewatched the film.

Dave
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 12:12:45 PM »
Review Addendum: After cogitating overnight I have decided to add a little extra to this review as much of my writing above wasn't really a review.

Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind was made in 1984 and is generally accepted as the first Studio Ghibli film even though the studio wasn't founded until the following year. As well as the theme mentioned above there are many other things, some that have become Miyazaki trademarks, to be seen in this film. The way that insects and other small creatures crawl and run up and down the forest and abandoned buildings that the forest is slowly consuming. The way that spores and seeds float through the air and glisten in the sunlight. How the wind is displayed rustling the grass and leaves of the fields and trees. The use of childen within the film. A strong female lead character. A minor plot point that can be easily overlooked is actually a major plot point at the end, here it is how the colour of Nausicaä's dress is changed and the effect it has later. The way the characters are drawn and their interactions. These all add together to make a standout film.

Dave
Dave

My Library

W0m6at

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »
This review for Ponyo refers to the "spiritual pairings" of Ghibli's (read Miyazaki's) films. I thought it might be of interest to you (perhaps you would care to agree with or challenge the notion.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 09:56:49 PM »
This review for Ponyo refers to the "spiritual pairings" of Ghibli's (read Miyazaki's) films. I thought it might be of interest to you (perhaps you would care to agree with or challenge the notion.

Thanks for this, a very insightful review. Yes basically I agree with that pairing hypothesis, not too sure about pairing Cagliostro with Laputa though. Cagliostro wasn't a film I can remember enjoying, maybe because I had the very old Streamline VHS release via Manga Video and then the updated DVD still from Manga Video, and I know that although it is Miyazaki it is well outside the Ghibli canon. However I may give some more thought to it all and come back with further musings. In fact it may better for me to wait until I have completed my Ghibli marathon.

Dave
Dave

My Library

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 03:17:59 AM »
I watched Grave of the Fireflies today, and I guess I went into this expecting a somewhat different story. I had always thought it was about the Hiroshima bombing, not just the fire bombing of Japan. I kept waiting for the Hiroshima explosion, and suddenly the war was over.

Great movie though.  :thumbup:

But there was one thing that bothered me. If Seita had access to his mother's bank account, why did he let Setsuko get so sick, she couldn't be saved?  :hmmmm:

W0m6at

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 03:36:12 AM »
I watched Grave of the Fireflies today, and I guess I went into this expecting a somewhat different story. I had always thought it was about the Hiroshima bombing, not just the fire bombing of Japan. I kept waiting for the Hiroshima explosion, and suddenly the war was over.

As you found out, Grave of the Fireflies is entirely non-nuclear. If you want an anime about the A-bombing of Japan, check out Barefoot Gen. The animation style is cuter, and the story less personal, but the depiction much more graphic.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 03:46:58 AM »

As you found out, Grave of the Fireflies is entirely non-nuclear. If you want an anime about the A-bombing of Japan, check out Barefoot Gen. The animation style is cuter, and the story less personal, but the depiction much more graphic.

That's the one I was thinking of. :slaphead:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Castle in the Sky
Original Title: Tenkuu no Shiro Rapyuta
Year: 1986
Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Rating: NR
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Keiko Yokozawa
Mayumi Tanaka
Kotoe Hatsui
Nou Terada
Fujio Tokita

Plot:
The magic touch of master animator Hayao Miyazaki is visible from start to finish in Castle In The Sky – an imaginative tale full of mystery and adventure. The high-flying journey begins when Pazu, an engineer's apprentice, finds a young girl, Sheeta, floating down from the sky, wearing a glowing pendant.

Together, they discover both are searching for the legendary floating castle, Laputa, and vow to unravel the mystery of the luminous crystal around her neck. Their quest won't be easy, however. There are air pirates, secret agents and astounding obstacles to keep them from the truth – and from each other.

With spectacular animation, a fabulous musical score and the voice talents of Anna Paquin (Sheeta), James Van Der Beek (Pazu), and Cloris Leachman (Dola), this sensational 2-disc DVD brimming with exciting bonus features is classic entertainment for the entire family.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Storyboard Comparisons
Closed Captioned
"Castle in the Sky" Introduction by John Lasseter

My Thoughts:

Another wonderful film from Hayao Miyazaki and the first to be actually created and released by the newly formed Studio Ghibli. Although not as overtly ecological as Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind there were still elements within this film, the large tree at the centre of Laputa and the function of some of the robots on the island. The film again features a female lead character but this time she has a male lead to help and assist her. The story revolves around Pazu, the male lead, helping Sheeta, the female lead, find her true identity and home. As the film progresses we gradually learn that Sheeta is descended from the people of Laputa and that the crystal she wears has an important function.

One thing that came to my attention in both this and Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind is how much Joe Hisaishi's music enables the mood, this is also evident in Ennio Morricone's music within the Spaghetti Western trilogy. Maybe todays composers, producers, directors need to review the way that they seem to use music so that instead of it being bang crash boom over the voices of the actors with a huge coda everytime the actor makes a statement that they think is relevant to the plot of the film.

A wonderful 5

Dave

ETA original title
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:35:50 AM by dfmorgan »
Dave

My Library

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 05:44:42 PM »
I watched Spirited Away last night, and I've come to the conclusion that anime is just not my cup of tea. While it was creative, I found myself constantly looking at the clock, wondering how much longer this film was going to be. I also had this happen during Grave of the Fireflies.

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 08:33:54 PM »
Really? As I said before, I think Grave is one of the finest war films (sort of) ever made and I found it devastating. More so than if they'd used live action and actors, I feel.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 08:59:15 PM »
Jon vs. Antares...this I gotta see!

:popcorn:  :couch:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Really? As I said before, I think Grave is one of the finest war films (sort of) ever made and I found it devastating. More so than if they'd used live action and actors, I feel.

It is a very good film, I'm only stating my dislike for anime. I just can't get into it as a storytelling medium, that's all.