Author Topic: Clash of the Titans (1981)  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Clash of the Titans (1981)
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »
Clash of the Titans

Before history and beyond imagination! The machinations of gods above and the fates of man and monsters here below play out in a Clash of the Titans. Decades prior to the sensational 2010 version of the tale, Harry Hamlin took up sword and shield to play valorous Perseus, mortal son of Zeus (Laurence Olivier) who sets out to fulfill his destiny by rescuing beloved Andromeda from the wrath of goddess Thetis (Maggie Smith). Perils await Perseus time and again. And eye-filling thrills await viewers as stop-motion effects legend Ray Harryhausen (Jason and the Argonauts) unleashes snake-haired Medusa, fearsome Kraken, winged Pegasus, two-headed dog Dioskilos, giant scorpions and more. Rejoice, fantasy fans: the movie gods gift us with adventure that's innovative, heroic, titanic.

My Thoughts

After seeing the remake a few months ago, I decided to pick up the original on DVD when I found it fairly cheap.  I had forgotten most of what happens.  So much was changed for the remake that it really isn't the same story anymore.  While I enjoyed the remake overall, this version is better, thought the story still has some issues.  The relationship between Perseus and Andromeda is the whole reason why he goes on the quest to find a way to deal with the Kraken, but they barely spend any time together before the quest even though they were getting married.  The relationship isn't that believable really, though it manages to work for the most part.  There is enough going on to keep things interesting.  The action is done well, though some of the effects do look a bit dated now.  I think they work well though, and aren't distracting like some of the newer CGI can be.  The remake really went overboard with the CGI.  None of the characters are developed much, so some of the cast doesn't have a lot to work with. 

Even with the issues, the story and everything just works a bit better in this version.  I'm thinking now that I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the remake as much if I had seen this one before seeing it.  Too much is changed for the remake, the biggest thing being the motivation for Perseus going on his quest.  It just doesn't work as well in the remake.

I did get a longer review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Clash of the Titans (1981)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Clash of the Titans (1981)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »
I almost ordered this one today, I would kinda like to see it again before I see the remake.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
I love this movie and so do my niece and nephews. The only problem is they always ask for the same movies - this one, Jason and the Argonauts or Wall*E. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a half dressed Harry Hamlin! :drooling:

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »
I love this movie and so do my niece and nephews. The only problem is they always ask for the same movies - this one, Jason and the Argonauts or Wall*E. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a half dressed Harry Hamlin! :drooling:

At least you have some interesting choices for adults. For me, I'm still stuck with Yoopa (TV channel here aimed at preschoolers)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »
Looks like when my niece was very young (of course she always is) and her choices were The Teletubies and Cailloux and a rewind after and after and after :yawn: