Author Topic: Tom's Unwatched Movies Marathon  (Read 36158 times)

Najemikon

Re: Tom's Unwatched Movies Marathon
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »
Probably not, Pete. Clark Gable sadly doesn't turn out to be a vampire. Bloody hell, that would've been more fun, eh?  :laugh:

Getting back to the spirit of the topic... Tom, I could try and persuade you to finish off the Hitchcock marathon.  :P But instead, I'd love to hear what you think of The Godfather. Have you seen anything of it before? If not, that's my choice. :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 11:00:39 PM »
To be honest, my English is not sufficient to write reviews.

One or two sentences would be enough. Especially if you watched one you really enjoyed. I'd like to have some input with future purchases. Also I wouldn't feel so alone watching Bollywood movies  :laugh:

Another thing I'd like to mention: How did I get in contact with Bollywood?

For me it was quite by accident. I was searching the net for some superhero movies I haven't seen and stumbled across Krrish. I really enjoyed it, and it started from there.
I enjoy romantic comedies and musicals. So Bollywood was an untapped source for this.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »
But instead, I'd love to hear what you think of The Godfather. Have you seen anything of it before? If not, that's my choice. :thumbup:

No, haven't seen anything yet. Maybe bits and pieces on TV many years ago. It never seemed like something I would enjoy, but when the Blu-ray collection was available at such a good price, I was willing to give it a chance.

Rogmeister

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »
You have to ask that, Pete?  It won Best Picture in 1939, the year often said to be the greatest single year ever for movies.  Also, in every poll, it's usually up there among the best movies ever made.  With that said, why haven't I watched my own copy yet?  Beats me!  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »
Probably not, Pete. Clark Gable sadly doesn't turn out to be a vampire. Bloody hell, that would've been more fun, eh?  :laugh:

Ohhhhh.... now that sounds good!  :P
Pete

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:46 PM »
My choice:

Yip Man

as I have that in my recent purchase tbw pile

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 12:01:33 AM »

One or two sentences would be enough. Especially if you watched one you really enjoyed. I'd like to have some input with future purchases. Also I wouldn't feel so alone watching Bollywood movies  :laugh:

Tom, I owe you an apology. When we spoke about Bollywood ages ago, you put me onto Black. As chance would have it, a guy at work had already seen it when he bought the DVD. He kindly lent it to me while it was still sealed, he was so ken for me to see it.

What an amazing film! Thank you for recommending it. Now it was actually a while ago I saw it, and for some reason I've been sat on my review. I think I wanted to calm down a bit before finishing it!  ;) I'm sorry you made a successful recommendation and I didn't tell you.  :bag:

Anyway, typical waffle ("one or two sentences", HA!) can be found here: http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6365.0.html

hal9g

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 04:55:07 AM »
I'll throw in Patriot Games.  If you like Harrison Ford you'll enjoy this one and it's vintage Tom Clancy!

Pete, seeing as I am from Atlanta, I have seen Gone with the Wind several times, and believe everyone should see it at least once.  I've even visited Margaret Mitchell's house (burned down at least twice that I know of).

I used to work with a woman who could recite the entire dialog of this movie!!!   :o

kahless

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 06:27:27 AM »

One or two sentences would be enough. Especially if you watched one you really enjoyed. I'd like to have some input with future purchases. Also I wouldn't feel so alone watching Bollywood movies  :laugh:

I see! It is some time ago I watched my last bollywood movie. Would be a great idea to watch some of my unwatched bollywoods.  :D

Of course I like it, to give some feedback on the movies. My wife is the bollywood expert here - so I could ask her as well...  ;D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »
Would be great  :thumbup:

kahless

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »
O.K. - so I'll schedule some bollywood-sessions!  :D

BTW: In my experience, the German releases of "Rapid Eye (REM)" have the best quality in every way! Almost all of my REM bollywoods were initially released in a nice digipack with a lot of bonus material!  ;)

So far I did not see any bollywood movies on blu-ray...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »
O.K. - so I'll schedule some bollywood-sessions!  :D

BTW: In my experience, the German releases of "Rapid Eye (REM)" have the best quality in every way! Almost all of my REM bollywoods were initially released in a nice digipack with a lot of bonus material!  ;)

So far I did not see any bollywood movies on blu-ray...

Yes, I am very glad about Rapid Eyes Movies. Ordering DVDs released by them were never a disappointment. Eros on the other hand has some really bad quality releases.
Two things are important for me to consider buying a Bollywood movie DVD:
1) It has to have the original Hindi audio track with subtitles in German or English. I do not listen to dubs. This point has stopped me from buying a lot of movies which sounded interesting otherwise.
2) It should have anamorphic widescreen. I can make exceptions here, but I would like to know it beforehand. It must be a movie I really, really want to see and there is really no release available which has anamorhic video.

I know of only one Bollywood Blu-ray release and I have it. It is Saawariya.

kahless

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 08:59:12 PM »
"Saawariya" seems to be a short movie - only 138 min running time!  ::)

Just kidding - thanks for the hint!  :thumbup:

If my tags are correct, I own 68 bollywood movies. Some of them are really bad (s*** happens), but most of them are very nice!
My first one was the German release of "Dil Se" with only Hindi as audio track. This movie was a kind of starter drug!  ;D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »

Title: The Bucket List
Year: 2008
Director: Rob Reiner, Ring of Fire, Illusion Arts
Rating: 12
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Jack Nicholson
Morgan Freeman
Sean Hayes
Beverly Todd
Rob Morrow

Plot:
Corporate billionaire Edward Cole (Jack Nicholson) and working class mechanic Carter Chambers (Morgan Freeman) have little in common, or so it seems. At a crossroads in their lives, they share a hospital room and discover that surface differences (and sheer contempt) aside, they have a deep desire to experience the best that life has to offer, before they 'kick the bucket'. They write a joint 'bucket list' of and embark on the adventure of a lifetime.

A hilarious and deeply touching tale, The Bucket List charts their journey across continents, to building a friendship and discovering their own identities.

Awards:
Grammy Awards2009NominatedBest Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media"Say": John Mayer

Extras:
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Two great actors in a buddy movie. Again we have Morgan Freeman as the narrator which is a plus because he is always great to listen to.
The advanced age is more noticable on Jack Nicholson than on Morgan Freeman. When I first saw the movie, I sadly had to think that Nicholson does not look like he will be with us much longer. Morgan Freeman on the other hand looks like he will be around for awhile. But you never know :(

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
My first one was the German release of "Dil Se" with only Hindi as audio track. This movie was a kind of starter drug!  ;D

So you can confirm that this release has a Hindi audio track? :)
Amazon does list only German, but as it is REM I couldn't believe this listing, so I put it on my wishlist anyway (and I think I also had found evidence to an Hindi track somewhere else). I really want to check this movie out at some point, because it is Preity Zinta's first role.