Author Topic: Supergirl  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Supergirl
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:10:15 AM »
Supergirl

Strength, flight, invincibility, heat vision, an unswerving sense of justice: they're all family traits. Kara, 'Superman''s cousin, also survived the cataclysm that destroyed their homeworld of 'Krypton'. And when she comes to Earth, she's 'Supergirl'!

Creative forces behind 'Superman The Movie' take another page from DC Comics lore with this fun-and effects-packed adventure about the 'Girl of Steel'. Helen Slater plays the title role, posing as Midvale prep-schooler 'Linda Lee', battling a sorceress (Faye Dunaway) for control of an alien power orb and enjoying an unexpected dating ritual called kissing. Peter O'Toole and Mia Farrow add more starpower to the ultrapowered excitement. All you in Midvale and beyond, have no fear: 'Supergirl' is here!

My Thoughts

I really enjoy movies about superheroes and ones based on comic books.  I seem to be...compelled to see them all and eventually but them all, even when I think the movie isn't that great.  So far I have resisted the temptation where Catwoman is concerned.  Anyway, that is why basically why I picked up Supergirl, though I did wait until I found it cheap.

Since I haven't read any of the comic books featuring Kara/Supergirl, I have no clue what, if anything, is pulled from them.  I'm thinking the plot is original for the movie but I could be wrong.  I think it had potential, but it went no where.  The connection between Kara/Supergirl and Kal-El/Superman is established early in the movie, though I do wonder how Kara and the other people in Argo City knew so much about Kal-El and what he was doing on Earth.  Maybe I missed something, but I felt like a little more explanation would have helped to clear things up a bit.  I also have questions about when and how Argo City, where Kara is living at the beginning of the movie, is established.  There is background information, I just feel it isn't quite enough, especially for people who aren't familiar with the characters from the comic books.

It is established that Kara knows about Kal-El being on Earth and that he is Superman somehow.  That leads me to believe that she knows that he has powers on Earth and should suspect that she would have some there too.  Yet after she arrives on Earth, she is shown discovering her powers and she seems ...surprised that she can fly.  She just has her Supergirl outfit one when she arrives as well, and throughout the movie, she can just switch into it without spinning or anything.  I know that is minor, but it bugs me.  Her disguise, as Linda Lee is a bit better since her hair color also changes. 

The plot is rather weak overall and there is no mystery.  Kara leaves Argo City to find something called the Omegahedron, a powerful orb that provides all the energy for Argo City.  The orb ends up being found by Selena, a woman who considers herself a witch, very early in the movie, so there is no mystery to where the orb is.  Things end up being very predictable overall and I don't think there are surprises.  More of the Phantom Zone is shown, which is interesting, but that doesn't make up for the weak plot.  The characters are fine without any of them reallying being that interesting overall. 

Overall, the movie isn't that great, though it isn't as bad as some other movies based on superheroes, like Catwoman.

I did post a review on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Supergirl

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Supergirl
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:52:55 AM »
I like Supergirl :(
This is probably one of my favourite super hero movie with the original Superman, Flash Gordon and the 1994 Fantastic Four. Most of the "problems" in the film are because of the big cut in the budget (wich is the same reason why Superman IV isn't really good either), not because of anything in the film itself.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 05:05:23 AM »
I didn't have a problem with the effects.  I just think the story needed to be better.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:30:31 AM »
It was supposed to be first one in a franchise, so this film is more an introduction to the character of Supergirl that's why the story or the character wasn't really developed a lot. But no sequel were ever done because of the well deserved failure of Superman 3.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:42:21 AM »
I know there was hope for a new franchise.  Which could have been interesting if this one had been a bit better.

As it is, I can watch this one and I'm entertained by it overall.  I think it could have been better.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 05:52:32 AM »
No problem, at least you make me want to rewatch it again ;D
Something that Pete can't do when he praise Superman 3 or Maximum Overdrive :laugh:

So everything is good in the end :thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:55:00 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 05:54:52 AM »
:) 
And you can write up your own review after you watch it again. :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 05:57:34 AM »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 06:02:28 AM »
Oops.  I forgot about that.  Must have been a blonde moment.   :laugh:

Well you can still watch it again.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 06:05:20 AM »
It already on my computer so it will be watch soon, I've something else to watch for my blog and Supergirl is the next in line. ;D

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
Underrated movie IMO. Helen Slater = hot.

Rogmeister

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
I always liked Helen Slater and it's too bad her star seems to have faded.  I'm not sure I've seen her in anything since that Lassie movie.  In the comics, Argon City (Supergirl's city) survived the explosion of Krypton (don't ask me how) but became kryptonite so they covered it all with lead.  They must've had a lot of that stuff!  Eventually, meteors came down, ripping up the lead and spelling doom for everyone so, like Superman before her, Kara (now a teenager) was sent on a rocket towards Earth.  She met Superman and he instructed her in the ways of crimefighting.  She actually had to keep her powers secret for about 2-3 years until Superman thought she was ready to go public.

So there's your Supergirl comic book crash course!  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 11:47:02 PM »
Thanks Roger..that does help me understand some of that stuff a bit better.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 09:15:54 AM »
Just rewatch it tonight and as usual I'm amazed at how I like this film ;D

It just countains everything that make a superhero movie fun to watch. Too bad they don't do them like that anymore :(
Of course the fact I've seen it in a theatre at its released might play a role in this :hmmmm:

Thanks Marie for making me think to watch it again (even if you didn't like it) :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
You're welcome. :)
And I don't completely hate it.