Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 221553 times)

Najemikon

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
Sorry, Sam, I did read your review, but somehow the bit about being resubmitted passed me by...  :-[

I talk in general not necessary about this film

Some label think it's too costly to resubmit the movie again for what it's worth. You can always import them as we do when something isn't available here? or it's always risky and your package had a good chance to be confiscated...

Ah, another misconception! I know I've explained this before, but I suppose believing we live in a police state is more fun...  :tease:

As Sam says, it is not illegal to import films that don't have BBFC certification. I've bought dozens of foreign releases without any problem, because the law states it is only illegal for me to sell a DVD that hasn't been certified by the BBFC. Even then it isn't really enforced. I can sell Region 1 via PlayTrade, probably because Play are registered off-shore, and Ebay did pull some of my listings years ago, but that was Ebay policy.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2011, 10:13:52 PM »
Well, the BBFC was actually set up by the major studios and is a private (non-profit) corporation, not a government subsidary. The only difference between US and UK is that here refused classification makes it illegal to screen at cinemas or sell in shops (though local councils can overturn this and even change ratings) whilst you can just get it as unrated. Of course, the MPAA refuses classification to more cinema than the BBFC so it's probably a good thing for the unrated system. :tease:

Anyway, it's legal to own these films by way of import so although we have the BBFC, things aren't a total disaster.

Oh, and I have to heap praise on the BBFC. I e-mailed them asking what exactly was cut from the razor scene, and they sent me the 13 cuts (each camera angle gets a cut):
- Remove sight of razor being traced between woman's breasts.
- Remove sight of razor being traced over woman's breast and nipple.
- Remove sight of razor being traced over woman's breasts and nipples.
- Remove sight of razor being traced over woman's breast and nipple and over her body.
- Remove sight of razor being traced over woman's stomach, with her breast visible.
- Remove sight of razor being eased inside woman's jeans.
- As man approaches woman with razor blade, remove all sight of breast and arm being slashed with razor.
- Remove all sight of razor cutting woman's breast and arm.
- Remove all sight of razor cutting woman's breast and arm (again).
- Remove all sight of razor cutting woman's breast and arm (again, for a third time).
- Remove close sight of razor cutting woman's leg, next to her genitals.
- Remove close sight of razor cutting woman's leg, next to her genitals (again).
- Remove sight of razor cutting down woman's body, between her breasts.

I got the reply from them within hours. I send them e-mails all the time asking questions for dvdcompare and always get swift and very helpful responses. They are a very open organisation. The guy I talk about at the cinema showing as actually doing a study funded by the BBFC by showing five films uncut in the UK for the audience reaction to the cuts (all very different films, different genres... this was one of them).

Najemikon

« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »
That's excellent. I appreciate how open they are about this and I usually agree with their basic rule that the narrative simply has to support the visuals.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »
The only difference between US and UK is that here refused classification makes it illegal to screen at cinemas or sell in shops (though local councils can overturn this and even change ratings) whilst you can just get it as unrated.
It's the same here. If your product isn't rated you can't sell it, but everything pass here unless it's bestiality or kid sex. Even if a film is rated it's impossible to sell it in a second hand shop if we don't have the rating sticker anymore.

Like I said everything pass as our rating board know they have no bussiness at telling adult what they can or can't watch as long as it isn't one of the two big no-no. It's the reason why I'm always amazed of how England, the US or the other canadian province deal with that...

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »
Like I said everything pass as our rating board know they have no bussiness at telling adult what they can or can't watch as long as it isn't one of the two big no-no. It's the reason why I'm always amazed of how England, the US or the other canadian province deal with that...

Yeah. To be fair to the BBFC, 99% cuts here are because the distributor wants a lower age rating so will cut rather than miss out on the potential money between a PG and a 12 or a 12 and a 15. That annoys me, but thankfully we generally get the uncut on home media. People do have a bad conception, but here are some stats:
To end of September, 2011 has seen 3821 works processed by the BBFC.
- 7 have been cut (4 of which had previously been cut, now reduced)
- 3 have been newly cut (Charlie Chan at the Race Track by one second, Sex and Zen 3D by 2:48 and The Human Centipede II on appeal)
- None have been refused classification (apart from Human Centipede II, overturned on appeal)
- 44 have had all previous cuts waived.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
People do have a bad conception.
It's probably because when we think England rating board we think of what happened in the eighties. I mean The Funhouse was banned because they confused it with a different films :laugh:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2011, 11:02:52 PM »
Yeah, the Mary Whitehouse effect screwed us over.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Whitehouse

Thankfully, that's in the past.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2011, 11:13:42 PM »
She claimed that Doctor Who had nightmarish qualities, saying it "contains some of the sickest, most horrible material"

Good chance I never watched it even with the praise this show got here. I'm so sad to see I was wrong thinking I was the one watching the most offensive movie here :(

But seriously no one realized she was just a religous nut (or an IRLT) not worthy of being taken seriously :shrug:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2011, 11:20:28 PM »
She claimed that Doctor Who had nightmarish qualities, saying it "contains some of the sickest, most horrible material"

Good chance I never watched it even with the praise this show got here. I'm so sad to see I was wrong thinking I was the one watching the most offensive movie here :(

But seriously no one realized she was just a religous nut (or an IRLT) not worthy of being taken seriously :shrug:

Apart from the government, yes. :hysterical:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2011, 01:39:04 AM »

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
After a chance encounter, Nick and Norah embark on a journey through New York's indie rock scene on a quest to find the secret show of a legendary band, and wind up finding each other.

My Thoughts:
Well, what can I say? This was one of my favourite films of 2008 and for several reasons. First of all, Michael Cera and Kat Dennings are the definition of perfect casting here. They gel together extremely well and the supporting cast also put in good performances, with a couple of nice little random cameos from John Cho and Eddie Kaye Thomas. Next up, the story. OK, so it is structured in the usual way and the outcome is formulaic, but it is well written, the characters each manage to show their character traits early on and it has the right amount of comedy, (low end) drama and romance. The music is really well selected throughout and carries the film forwards perfectly. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:16 PM »

Cool Runnings (1993) R1 USA

Overview:
You'll love Cool Runnings – the outrageously funny comedy hit inspired by the true story of Jamaica’s first Olympic bobsled team. They were four unlikely athletes with one impossible dream. Now, with the help of an ex-champion as their coach (John Candy – Uncle Buck), four Jamaicans leave their sunny tropical island home and enter the chilly Winter Olympics to compete for the gold in a sport they know nothing about – bobsled racing! Finding the courage in each other to give it their all, they meet the challenge, and soon become heroes – taking the whole world along for the ride! You'll be cheering long and loud for this unlikely team in this feel-good comedy hit!

My Thoughts:
The bobsled hasn't exactly set the cinema world alight but when you mix a group of unlikely people who succeed in either their chosen sport or in proving people wrong by achieving what everyone thought was impossible with Disney, you generally get a well structured and enjoyable feature. For me, this is above the rest of Disney's sport-led movies for the perfect cast, the quotable dialogue and the great ending that makes you force yourself to stop that tear rolling down your cheek. In fact, I would go as far to say that this is the best Disney sports movie I have seen. Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, its bobsled time! COOL RUNNINGS! Highly recommended. 4.5/5
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:19:09 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2011, 07:49:57 PM »

U-571 (2000) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
From the creators of the hit thriller 'Breakdown' comes Canal+ and Universal Pictures' U-571. A white-knuckle, World War II suspense drama, about an American submarine crew as they battle against time, danger and their own fears. Their mission: a daring plan to capture a top-secret encrypting device from a Nazi U-boat.

My Thoughts:
I don't know where to start. The opening 'info' text which makes this film look as though it is based on historical fact is beyond sickening... in fact changing the complete history of those involved, and changing their nationality, is showing disrespect and disdain of the highest order. I was half expecting to see Mel Gibson appear. The sets and the music are fantastic, but I can't get past the fact they have pissed on the memory of great men. Screw you Hollywood. I'm spitting out my dummy and going home (or to Mostow's house, where I will insert an actual U-Boat up his arse... sideways). I'm giving 0.5 for the set design and 0.5 for the music. At least they included some text about which navy was responsible for getting enigma machines and codes when it counted during the end credits. 1/5

Najemikon

« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2011, 08:36:20 PM »
 :bow:

This film has a rep on this forum after I said similar things in a general conversation about realism versus entertainment. Absolutely agree with you. This film is diabolical. Did you hear at the time, even Tony Blair brought it up in the Commons.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2011, 12:50:40 AM »
Did you hear at the time, even Tony Blair brought it up in the Commons.

Yeah. Bill Clinton wrote a letter apologising for the fact we felt that way but at the same time to remember it is a fictional film. If it had started with a screen saying it was fictional I may have thought a little better of it, but it comes across as being based on actual events from the opening text and that really grated with me.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2011, 02:56:50 AM »

Volcano (1997) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Quakes, Riots, Mudslides. Los Angeles has seen it all...almost. Get set for nonstop action, searing suspense and explosive special effects when Oscar winner TOMMY LEE JONES* stars in "the first great action film of the year!" (Matt Levitz, Syndicated Radio)
Something unspeakably chilling is heating up the City of Angels. Beneath the famed La Brea Tar Pits, a raging volcano has formed, raining a storm of deadly fire bombs and an endless tide of white-hot lava upon the stunned city. Experience the pulse-ponding thrills as the dream capital of the world erupts into the stuff nightmares are made of.

My Thoughts:
I'm a fan of the disaster genre, and the more realistic the better. Unfortunately, this attempt from director Mike White does seem to suffer at the hands of poor research into the science of the effects of volcanoes, such as when the firehose combusts from the heat, but the main characters come away with little more than a bit of smoke from their shoes, despite being closer to the lava than the firehose. However, if you can overlook these niggly annoyances, there is some fun to be had. Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche are supported by a cast including Michael Rispoli and Don Cheadle and although nobody puts in great performances, they are all passable. Some of the effects are excellent (the tower block demolition for one) and I enjoyed the score by Alan Silvestri, but this alone cannot put Volcano above average. It's fun, but not as good as Dante's Peak which came out at the same time. Rent it. 3/5