Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 221556 times)

samuelrichardscott

Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:43:18 AM »

The Day After Tomorrow (2004) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
From the director of "Independence Day" comes a spectacular roller-coaster ride that boasts pulse-pounding action and sensational, mindblowing special effects.  When global warming triggers the onset of a new ice age, tornadoes flatten Los Angeles, a tidal wave engulfs New York City and the entire northern hemisphere begins to freeze solid.  Now, climatologist Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid), his son Sam (Jake Gyllenhaal) and a small band of survivors must ride out the growing superstorm and stay alive in the face of an enemy more powerful and relentless than any they've ever encountered: Mother Nature!

My Opinion:
Let's be honest, you don't watch an 'end of the world' movie for the tight plot, incredible script and Academy Award winning acting. You watch it for special effects and to turn your brain off. Thankfully, this hits all the right spots but at the same time lacks that little spark. The movie has some horrible dialogue, a flimsy plot to pull together the set pieces and what can only be described as a flawed story, but the special effects are great and the movie is exactly what it says on the tin... fun! If you're not a fan of natural disaster movies stay clear, but if you enjoy them then definately give this one a spin. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:52:16 AM »

Scream (1996) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Critically acclaimed as the definitive horror thriller of the '90s from master of the genre Wes Craven (A Nightmare on Elm Street), SCREAM will terrify you beyond belief. The residents of a picturesque small town (including Drew Barrymore, Courteney Cox and Neve Campbell) are being victimised by a sly psycho with a twisted love for scary movies. As this masked predator continues to mimic horror films with real-life acts of terror, it becomes clear that solving this mystery is going to be murder. An instant favourite with audiences for its unique style and edgy humour, this chilling one-of-a-kind thriller will make you laugh until you...SCREAM.

My Opinion:
What can I think of to say about Scream other than the fact that not only did it breathe new life into the slasher genre spawning many pretenders, but it breathed life into the genre in an original way, something hard to do for a genre that is typically unoriginal. Fantastic writing from Kevin Williamson and well directed by Wes Craven, it features plenty of A-list talent including Drew Barrymore, Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox and Rose McGowan who manage to put in some great performances. I, for one, am extremely pleased and grateful for what it did for horror whilst at the same time being a parody of the genre whilst remaining fresh. Excellent. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »

Scream 2 (1997) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Master director Wes Craven (Scream, Wishmaster) once again teams up with Kevin Williamson (writer of Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer) in this hip, fun and relentlessly scary follow-up to the hit thriller Scream!  Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell - Scream, The Craft) thought she had put the shocking Woodsboro murders behind her...until crazed copycat killer begins acting out a chilling, real-life horror sequel on her college campus!  As the bodies begin to pile up, ambitious reporter Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox - Scream, Ace Venture: Pet Detective, TV's Friends), deputy Dewey (David Arquette - Scream, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and other Woodsboro survivors find themselves trapped in an all-new nightmare where no one is safe - or above suspicion.
Even more terrifying and twistedly funny than the original, SCREAM 2 again defies the rules and delivers heartstopping surprises...giving you more of what made you scream in the first place!

My Thoughts:
The inevitable sequel to the fantastic first movie has survivor Sidney Prescott going to college where it appears a copycat killer is out to get her and her new friends all over again. Following what is essentially the same method, Scream 2 follows the 'genre' rules without as much parody and with a less witty, intelligent script. Don't get me wrong, the jokes are there, but haven't been added anywhere near as smoothly. Still, it moves along at a nice pace and again, has a better cast than your typical horror with Neve Campbell, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Heather Graham, Jada Pinkett and the Cox's. The movie is above average and is definately worthy of a place on the shelf along with the first, but expect something that is more faithful to slasher's without the cleverness. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:53:04 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:09:51 PM »

Iron Man 2 (2010) Cinema

Overview:
With the world now aware of his dual life as the armored superhero Iron Man, billionaire inventor Tony Stark faces pressure from the government, the press, and the public to share his technology with the military. Unwilling to let go of his invention, Stark, along with Pepper Potts, and James "Rhodey" Rhodes at his side, must forge new alliances - and confront powerful enemies.

My Thoughts:
Having loved the first movie (4.5/5), I was glad I managed to get away to the cinema to see this and I must say, after reading some mixed opinions, I was pleasantly surprised. The storyline was decent, the casting was excellent (Scarlett Johannson was a great addition), the way the characters were used as a small step towards the upcoming Marvel movies were very well done without being cheesy and Robert Downey Jr. just nailed the humour. It wasn't quite as good as the first but as far as sequels go, this was right up there and I hope it continues with the inevitable third Iron Man movie. 4/5
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:25:51 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) Cinema

Overview:
Death stalks the dreams of several young adults to claim its revenge on the killing of Freddy Kruger. Chased and chastised by this finger-bladed demon, it is the awakening of old memories and the denials of a past of retribution that spurns this hellish vision of a dreamlike state and turns death into a nightmare reality.

My Thoughts:
The original movie directed by Wes Craven in 1984 is one of the most well known movies ever made and Freddy Krueger is one of the most iconic movie characters of all time, maybe even the most iconic in the horror genre. Unlike others, I'm not that weary when it comes to remakes. We've had some great ones like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, some good ones like The Hills Have Eyes and Last House on the Left and some below par ones like Prom Night. Despite the potential for this remake, it is unfortunately quite mediocre. Whilst the gore and death scenes are OK despite some poor CGI at times, the problem lies with Jackie Earl Haley who plays Freddy. Unfortunately, he hasn't got the screen prescence, and when you're playing such an evil character it's an important thing to be missing. I'm going to go with a generous 3/5.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:26:22 AM by samuelrichardscott »

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:56:06 PM »
That's interesting. You've gone the exact opposite of several reviews I've read that say Jackie Earl Haley is marvellous and utterly wasted by a generic retread.

Certainly he is one of my favourite actors at the moment, turning in a challenging and fascinating performance as a convicted, recently released paedophile in Todd Field's Little Children, as well as superbly realising Rorschach better than I could have possibly hoped in Watchmen.

I'm interested in seeing this, if only to see if they've improved on a couple of points that have always annoyed me in the overrated original. I very much doubt they have and in the meantime, probably lost the identity the original had.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 12:16:31 AM »
I had read a lot of great things about Haley being the best bit of the movie also so maybe that's why I expected so much from him and was ultimately disappointed? Don't get me wrong, as an actor he was great and I've loved him in other stuff, but for me, the role of Freddy will always belong to Englund.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 12:19:12 AM »
Certainly he is one of my favourite actors at the moment, turning in a challenging and fascinating performance as a convicted, recently released paedophile in Todd Field's Little Children.

Saw this earlier this year and thought he was excellent but then so was everybody around him. Maybe with Nightmare's mediocre cast he made him feel a let down also? Btw, if you haven't already, check out Kevin Bacon's performance in The Woodsman. Also a phenomenal movie.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 12:40:33 AM »
Certainly he is one of my favourite actors at the moment, turning in a challenging and fascinating performance as a convicted, recently released paedophile in Todd Field's Little Children.

Saw this earlier this year and thought he was excellent but then so was everybody around him. Maybe with Nightmare's mediocre cast he made him feel a let down also? Btw, if you haven't already, check out Kevin Bacon's performance in The Woodsman. Also a phenomenal movie.

I haven't seen The Woodsman actually, but I keep meaning to, thanks. Little Children was a great cast all round, it's just his role was such a tough sell and you can't help but sympathise.

Have you seen In The Bedroom, Field's earlier film? Loved that!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 12:42:36 AM »
I have seen In the Bedroom and have it on dvd but it's something I need to revisit as my memory is a little hazy on it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 04:55:44 AM »
I'm interested in seeing this, if only to see if they've improved on a couple of points that have always annoyed me in the overrated original. I very much doubt they have and in the meantime, probably lost the identity the original had.
Mark Kermode all but fell asleep when he watched it. He noticed no improvements at all.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
Mark Kermode all but fell asleep when he watched it. He noticed no improvements at all.

It definately wasn't new or fresh. It was straight down the line average. They did try to do a sort of origins story through dreams and whilst it was a great idea it was executed in what seemed to be an edit/tell-by-numbers fashion.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »

Scream 3 (2000) R2 Germany

Overview:
While "Stab 3" is in production, somebody in a ghost mask starts to murder the new cast members. This lures Sidney out from hiding deep in the woods where she lives, and she comes to Hollywood to face the killer for the final act.

My Thoughts:
The third Scream movie has creator Kevin Williamson as just a producer, allowing Ehren Kruger to write the worst script of the series. Missing are the cheeky little nods to horror films past, instead becoming what I can only describe as a run-of-the-mill Hollywood slasher. Neve Campbell returns as Sidney and is this time hiding away, when a killer in a scream mask starts to kill people involved with movie Stab 3. Although Williamson states that he had always intended a trilogy, it's a real shame he didn't use his own (superior) writing skills into this one, as one of the things that put the first two movies ahead of the game was the witty scripting. If you want something new or fresh, look elsewhere. If you want your average slasher with familiar characters, pick this up. 3/5

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »

It definately wasn't new or fresh. It was straight down the line average. They did try to do a sort of origins story through dreams and whilst it was a great idea it was executed in what seemed to be an edit/tell-by-numbers fashion.

An "origins story"? Oh, for crying out loud. What is this obsession with having to tell us everything? The best bogey-men are the ones we can't understand. :shrug:

Onto other Craven projects now; what do you think of the Scream 4 idea?

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »
Onto other Craven projects now; what do you think of the Scream 4 idea?

I have mixed feelings. Yay for another Craven/Williamson team-up but the possibility of no Neve Campbell? Not a good thing IMO as she is the driving force of the series. We'll see what happens and how it plays out but from what I remember reading elsewhere, they want to do another 3 movies. I just hope that it moves away a little from the third and doesn't become a parody of itself.