Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315881 times)

Najemikon

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #630 on: January 22, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »
Surely there will be 2D as well?

I saw Tron Legacy in 3D (pointless) and the trailers were even more annoying than normal. They a couple of them twice! Gulliver's Travels three times even, if you count the bloody stupid Orange adverts. But anyway... twice because they showed the 3D and 2D versions. In both cases, for me 2D was much better. It looks so forced in Pirates. In particular there's a shot of Jack on a beach... 3D just makes it look weird.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #631 on: January 22, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »
Personally I hope 3D dies a horrible death. I am one of those lucky individuals who gets motion sickness from watching 3D or playing FPS games so I have no interest in this 'fad'.  Getting really annoying how every trailer commercial on TV ends with IN 3D!!!     :voodoo:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 22, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
Everytime I read 3D I just think at Friday the Thirteen part 3 and it's enough to make me remember how pointless it is and how a film in 3D don't make a priority of the story. If you listen the FTT3 commentary you hear many time that all the focus for this film was put on the 3D and the film isn't really good because of this.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 22, 2011, 03:23:02 PM »
I can't stand the 3-D glasses and, from the movies I've watched, the 3-D does nothing but take you out of the story.

Until they can make it perfect - I have no interest.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 22, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
Personally I hope 3D dies a horrible death.
As long as it's a quick one... :yu:

Najemikon

« Reply #635 on: January 22, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »
There was an interview with J.J. Abrams the other day in which he said that he hasn't made a decision yet about directing Star Trek 2, but Paramount have already asked him to make it in 3D.

I find that depressing. They have no interest in what he as an artist wishes to do, just so long as he makes it in sodding 3D. I loved his response though.

You might dismiss Star Trek and that ilk as just blockbuster fodder, however he made a comment about how he isn't comfortable with 3D because it doesn't suit a particular panning shot he likes to employ. I found it very reassuring that he is at the forefront of cinema as a popcorn business, yet he will not consider altering his style just to accommodate this ridiculous gimmick. That's unfair of me though, because as he said, if a film-maker has a story he knows will benefit from 3D and they have made an artistic decision to use it -such as Cameron with Avatar- then they should. Just don't expect him to bend over!  :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 22, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
I'm sure 3D can be good for some films (mostly kid stuff done on computer), but for a real movie the technical part took too much times to do and this is at the depend of the scenario and the acting (sure most acting suck these days but it's even worse when the take who looks good is the one chosen and not the good take).

I almost regret the day everything on screen was a remake (not that it's over as a recent trailer I saw yesterday on my TV looks like a remake of a Jennifer Jason Leigh movie), but I regret a lot more the days of the independant creators...

Najemikon

« Reply #637 on: January 22, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
Well, Werner Herzog doesn't make kids stuff, so it'll be interesting to see what he does with it. He's made a documentary in it...

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #638 on: January 22, 2011, 11:40:28 PM »
Thief

Title:Thief
Year: 1981
Director: Michael Mann
Rating: R
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
James Caan
Tuesday Weld
Willie Nelson
James Belushi
Robert Prosky

Plot:
James Caan is at his very best as a tough, wisecracking professional thief trapped between Chicago organized crime families and corrupt police in this "gripping drum-tight tale" (Los Angeles Magazine). Michael Mann, who directed Last of the Mohicans and 'Manhunter' and produced "Miami Vice" and "Crime Story," wrote and directed this taut, visually dazzling "heist"-drama called "the best of that breed since The Asphalt Jungle" by New West Magazine.

Filmed on rain-slicked Chicago streets, Thief captures the chilling suspense and human drama of professional crime with incredible "realistic details...heist technology straight out of Star Wars" and dialog with "the gutter pungency of a wood-alcohol cocktail" (Rolling Stone). Co-starring country superstar Willie Nelson and James Belushi ("Saturday Night Live")," Thief envelopes you in its tough, doom-laden grip and never lets go" (Newsweek).

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned
8-Page Booklet

My Thoughts:

Brilliant movie!  :thumbup:

James Caan was great as a master thief who wants to pull off one more major score then give it up to live a normal life. Not an original premise for a movie but never more compelling than this one.

What I love about his character Frank, is that at no point did he ever waver in his convictions, even when it looked as though he was backed into a corner. Even if it meant giving up all that was important to him, all of his assets and worldly possessions, he would not give in to those who would oppress him. I love his bit in the coffee shop where he talks of his time in prison, saying how in order to survive he had to mean nothing to himself.

Great performances by James Belushi as his right hand and by Robert Prosky as the mafioso who thinks he has Frank under thumb. Willie Nelson was given high billing in this one but he had two scenes and maybe 20 words of dialogue. He was there for little more than to establish Frank's mentor.

If I had any pet peeve with this movie it was the musical score, done exclusively by electric band Tangerine Dream. Too much, too piercing and at inappropriate times... I just felt that kind of ambient music didn't fit this picture.

A classic movie nonetheless!  :clap:

KC

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #639 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »
Thief is fantastic. Great to see it get a review here, I kept meaning to re-watch it. Very underrated in the Mann catalogue, I think. It kind of gets forgotten.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #640 on: January 23, 2011, 07:11:21 PM »
I agree it's a great movie and totally unexpected as I bought it for no other reason than James Caan was in it. I had heard nothing about it prior to my purchase but since watching it I've found that it has universally received great reviews. I love it when I add beauties to my collection by accident like that.  :thumbup:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #641 on: January 24, 2011, 03:00:36 AM »
Dexter : The Third Season

Title:Dexter: The Third Season
Year: 2008
Director: 1. Our FatherKeith Gordon, 2. Finding FreeboMarcos Siega, 3. The Lion Sleeps TonightJohn Dahl, 4. All In The FamilyKeith Gordon, 5. Turning BimineseMarcos Siega, 6. Si Se PuedeErnest Dickerson, 7. Easy As PieSteve Shill, 8. The Damage A Man Can DoMarcos Siega, 9. About Last NightTim Hunter, 10. Go Your Own WayJohn Dahl, 11. I Had A DreamMarcos Siega, 12. Do You Take Dexter Morgan?Keith Gordon
Rating: NR
Length: 629 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Michael C. Hall
Julie Benz
Jennifer Carpenter
C. S. Lee

Plot:
Dexter is back and more killer than ever! The groundbreaking and critically acclaimed original series from Showtime returns on DVD with all 12 thrilling and riveting episodes in DEXTER: The Third Season. Having faced his darkest demons and eluding the FBI, Dexter has a new take on taking life, when a high profile case puts him in the sights of the most powerful and influential DA in Miami. Will Dexter's need to do away with those who slip through the cracks finally lead to his undoing? Or will his new friend in the DA's office prove to be all he needs to have his cake and eat it too?

Episodes:

1. Our Father
2. Finding Freebo
3. The Lion Sleeps Tonight
4. All In The Family
5. Turning Biminese
6. Si Se Puede
7. Easy As Pie
8. The Damage A Man Can Do
9. About Last Night
10. Go Your Own Way
11. I Had A Dream
12. Do You Take Dexter Morgan?

Extras:
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
The United States of Tara, Season 1: Episodes 1 and 2.

My Thoughts:

We breezed through Season 3 in no time (about a month which is fast for us!) and we are definitely hooked! I don't want to say it was better or worse than the other seasons.... they've all been great! There has been a steady evolution of Dexter and we are starting to see emotions creep in through the chinks in his armor.

Jimmy Smits surprised me in this one as I was expecting a mediocre at best performance from him as I've always found him kind of one dimensional... adequate for those token Latino roles. He pulled off the role of Miguel Prado perfectly, a frustrated man barely keeping his anger in check. He quickly figures Dexter out and discovers both a tool and tutor for releasing his rage.

Masuka gets funnier with every episode and Quinn seems like an interesting character. I think there is more of his story to be told.

I can sort of see where this is heading in terms of Dexter's eventual discovery. His sister Debra is ever so slowly starting to connect the dots and it is inevitable that she will discover her brother for what he really is... question is what will she do?

Looking forward to Season 4 and John Lithgow as he can and will improve an already outstanding series just by his mere presence. That coupled with Dexter's impending fatherhood should make for some complex but fun episodes!  ;)

KC

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 24, 2011, 05:14:29 AM »
Looking forward to Season 4 and John Lithgow as he can and will improve an already outstanding series just by his mere presence.
After season 3 I hesitated to continue, because I thought the basic premise had run its course and it could only downhill from there. I am very glad I changed my mind, because season 4 is just as good as the others! And that not only because Jon Lithgow does a superb job in his role...

Najemikon

« Reply #643 on: January 24, 2011, 10:54:33 PM »
I'm sure 3D can be good for some films...

I learned today from Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's podcast, what the most profitable 3D movie actually is. I'm sure this will be of interest to Jimmy! :P According to Wikipedia, it has actually been superseded by Avatar, but still...

(click to show/hide)

:laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 25, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »
I have it for quite a while on my Amazon wishlist :dance:
Maybe I will have to order it soon, since all the review for this dvd praise the 3D. Of course it's a great movie also and the first Cliff's project when he began his job at Shout Factory!