Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315876 times)

KinkyCyborg

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #315 on: September 04, 2010, 05:24:24 AM »

Title:Chilly Dogs
Year: 2001
Director: Bob Spiers
Rating: PG-13
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Skeet Ulrich
Natasha Henstridge
Leslie Nielsen
Rik Mayall
Lochlyn Munro

Plot:
When slacker Kevin Manley (Skeet Ulrich: Scream, As Good as it Gets) receives a letter from his long-lost grandfather telling him he has inherited land in Alaska, it seems to be the answer to his prayers for excitement and adventure. But there's a catch in order to claim the land, Kevin must first compete in the world's toughest dog sled race across the frozen tundra of Alaska. The wild and crazy adventure begins when Leslie Nielsen (Spy Hard, Naked Gun) and sexy Natasha Henstridge (Whole Nine Yards, Species) join the canine crew as they set out to win the most hilarious race ever!

Extras:
Scene Access
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Yes, the movie is as silly and as dumb as the title would suggest. Some Canadian content here with Leslie Nielsen and Natasha Henstridge, plus Skeet Ulrich who must have been high when he agreed to sign on for this one.

This tries hard to be funny but fails miserably every time, with it's bathroom humor and cartoon sound effects. Simply terrible.  :thumbdown:

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »

Title:Paradise Alley
Year: 1978
Director: Sylvester Stallone
Rating: PG
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Lee Canalito
Armand Assante
Frank McRae
Anne Archer

Plot:
Sylvester Stallone is fighting the odds again, this time in the wrestling ring. As Cosmo Carboni, he and his two brothers dream of getting out of Hell's Kitchen (circa 1946) and into the big time. The exit signs point to Paradise Alley, a sleazy private club where the floorshow consists of raucous wrestling matches with big purses. Stallone not only starred in and wrote this action-packed film, he also made his directorial debut in this tale of three guys who could take anything Hell's Kitchen could dish out.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:

Decent movie which was Sly's directorial debut and Armand Assante's first starring role. The 'Wop Talk' gets old fast but the story is strong. Interesting character development as Stallone and Assante's roles flip personnas by the end of the movie. Former real life professional heavyweight boxer Lee Canolito (retired with a 19-0 record!) I thought was impressive as Victor, the gentle giant who was in turns taken advantage of by both of his brothers.

I've always admired Anne Archer's graceful acting style through the years but I was rather disappointed with this early role of hers as she came off looking sleazy.  ??? Wrestling fans should easily spot Terry Funk as the goon Frankie The Thumper.

KC

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #317 on: September 04, 2010, 06:32:31 PM »
Great review, Kevin. I haven't seen it, but it sounds like it has a little substance to it.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »
Thanks Jon. I'm actually starting to appreciate Stallone's work behind the camera a bit more, even if a lot of his earliest efforts seemed to focus primarily on Italian gangs, ruffians and ahem... boxers.  ;)

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2010, 02:39:45 AM »

Title:In Like Flint
Year: 1967
Director: Gordon Douglas
Rating: NR
Length: 115 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
James Coburn
Lee J. Cobb
Jean Hale
Andrew Duggan
Anna Lee

Plot:
007 is a great number. And Austin has his powers, but nobody is really "In Like Flint!" He's back, in the ultimate spy spoof, this time going head-to-head with a group of wealthy and powerful female tycoons who have discovered a way to brainwash women through beauty salon hairdryers! And if that's not enough, they then replace the President with their surgically reproduced clone as a part of their super-evil plan to take over the world. In this outrageous adventure where the bad guys are girls, Flint must infiltrate the women's secret lair - a lush and lavish tropical spa called Fabulous Face - before the gals wreak more havoc.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Early spy spoof that was likely the inspiration for the Austin Powers franchise. Super cheesy with gangly James Coburn as Derrick Flint, spy extraordinaire! The fight sequences were laughable, the spy gadgets ridiculous and the women gorgeous but lacking any kind of depth. I guess perhaps that was the point! Silly but entertaining.

The highlight was in the bonus features where I found a trailer for a Racquel Welch movie called Fathom. Ohhh MAMA! Is she hot in this flick!  :o I have to find this movie which will be challenge as it is OOP. :(

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2010, 10:05:13 PM »

Title:Kart Racer
Year: 2003
Director: Stuart Gillard
Rating: PG
Length: 93 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Johnny Griffin
Randy Quaid
Will Rothhaar
Jordan Conti
Steve Adams

Plot:
Strap on your seatbelt for one thrilling ride! Randy Quaid ('Independence Day') and Will Rothhaar ('Hearts in Atlantis') star in this triumphant tale of a working-class kid with an appetite for acceleration, a knack for trouble and the dream of being a champion!

Fledgling speed demon Watts Davies (Rothhaar) has always dreamed of competing in the high-adrenaline world of kart racing, but so far, the only speed record he's set is for scrapes with the law. His only hope for racing glory lies with his father (Quaid), whose own passion for the sport stalled after the death of Watts' mom. With an International Karting Federation heat fast approaching, Watts must find a way to get his dad on board to strive for victory...in record time!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned
introduction to the film by Jeff Gordon

My Thoughts:

Days Of Thunder Jr.  ::)

A family movie that is more of a promotional tool for NASCAR complete with an introduction from Jeff Gordon. It was decent with an inside look into the world of Go Cart racing. I thought Randy Quaid gave an excellent performance as the bitter father, still torn over the death of his wife who finally sees promise in his young son who only wants to follow in his fathers footsteps. I think it was the uniqueness of the role for him as we are used to seeing him in the zany comedies or as the psychopath criminal. He must have a passion for stock car racing given his role in the aforementioned Days Of Thunder and now this.

Worth a watch, but once is enough.

KC

Rating:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 06, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »

My Thoughts:

Early spy spoof that was likely the inspiration for the Austin Powers franchise. Super cheesy with gangly James Coburn as Derrick Flint, spy extraordinaire! The fight sequences were laughable, the spy gadgets ridiculous and the women gorgeous but lacking any kind of depth. I guess perhaps that was the point! Silly but entertaining.

You really need to watch the first film, Our Man Flint, it's still campy, but a lot more fun than this sequel.

The highlight was in the bonus features where I found a trailer for a Racquel Welch movie called Fathom. Ohhh MAMA! Is she hot in this flick!  :o I have to find this movie which will be challenge as it is OOP. :(

I wouldn't rush out to get this one, the film is pretty bad.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #322 on: September 06, 2010, 01:00:51 AM »
Yeah, I realized after starting In Like Flint that there was an earlier installment... it's on my wish list now. As far as Fathom goes and how good or bad it may be will be quite secondary to the main reason I want to buy it which is to ogle a scantily clad Racquel Welch!  :drooling: Yes, I'm shallow...  :thumbup:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 06, 2010, 01:01:50 AM »
Do you have One Million B.C.?

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
Sadly, not the dvd although I did see it many years ago.... another on my wish list. I do however have an 11 x 17 movie poster of the movie up in my rec room which adorns a place of honor above my big screen tv.  :bow:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2010, 01:06:41 AM »
The 60's and early 70's were the heyday of the great, sexy bombshells. Raquel Welch, Ursula Andress, Sharon Tate and Claudia Cardinale, just to name a few.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2010, 01:22:32 AM »
I'd add a few more to that list whom I'm fond of... Julie Newmar, Katharine Ross, Natalie Wood and Sophia Loren.

hal9g

« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2010, 01:24:06 AM »
Brigitte Bardot....   :thumbup:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #328 on: September 06, 2010, 07:00:08 AM »

Title:The Big White
Year: 2005
Director: Mark Mylod
Rating: 14A
Length: 105 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: French

Stars:
Robin Williams (1951)
Holly Hunter
Giovanni Ribisi
Tim Blake Nelson
W. Earl Brown

Plot:
So what's a nice guy with with good intentions but bad business sense to do? The answer lies frozen in a dumpster outside of Barnell Great Escapes - a dead body that Paul (Robin Williams) hopes to pass off as his long-lost brother, Raymond (Woody Harrelson), then collect his life insurance in order to help his beloved wife Margaret (Holly Hunter). Unfortunately, investigator Ted Watters (Giovanni Ribisi) and his girlfriend (Alison Lohman), are not about to let Barnell walk away with a million bucks. Adding to Paul's avalanche of problems are two aspiring hit men-turned-kidnappers (Tim Blake Nelson and W. Earl Brown) and the stunning return of the supposedly dead Raymond, who now has an axe to grind with his brother. Desperation is running high in the "big white," and if Paul is smart, he'll blow the snow, and take the money and run!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

A great cast that was wasted on what was largely a bore of a movie. Holly Hunter was fun as the wife with Tourette Syndrome but the rest of the cast, especially Robin Williams, looked like they mailed it in on this one.  :thumbdown:

KC

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #329 on: September 06, 2010, 10:15:20 AM »
I've never heard of that one and I try to keep up with the movies Robin Williams does since I like him.