Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315930 times)

KinkyCyborg

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2010, 02:39:29 AM »

Title:Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Year: 2004
Director: Michel Gondry
Rating: R
Length: 108 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: French

Stars:
Jim Carrey
Kate Winslet
Gerry Robert Byrne
Elijah Wood
Thomas Jay Ryan

Plot:
This is the story of a guy, Joel, who discovers that his long-time girlfriend, Clementine, has undergone a psychiatrist's experimental procedure in which all of her memory of Joel is removed, after the couple has tried for years to get their relationship working fluidly. Frustrated by the idea of still being in love with a woman who doesn't remember their time together, Joel agrees to undergo the procedure as well, to erase his memories of Clementine.

The film, which takes place mostly within Joel's mind, follows his memories of Clementine backwards in time as each recent memory is replaced, and the procedure then goes on to the previous one, which is likewise seen, and then erased. Once the process starts, however, Joel realizes he doesn't really want to forget Clementine, so he starts smuggling her away into parts of his memory where she doesn't belong... which alters other things about his memories as well.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Music Videos
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
Lacuna Commercial

My Thoughts:

Quirky, bizarre, original and fascinating.

I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about this movie until after it was over and I had time to digest it. It made me think about how everyone at some point wishes they could erase all the painful memories in their lives but not at the cost of the good ones. Could I do it? Absolutely not.

Jim Carrey can act outside of the mostly retarded characters he is usually cast as. His performance is excellent and I don't know why he doesn't seek out more dramatic roles. Anyone who has ever had a hate on for Jim Carrey, and I admit to being one of them, should watch this movie.

Kate Winslet, who always turns me off every time I see her making an acceptance speech, redeems herself in an outstanding performance that for me so far exceeds anything else I have seen her in.

I heard that this movie was great but I started it rather skeptical... I'm a believer! :)

KC

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2010, 07:38:02 AM »
Jim Carrey does seek out more dramatic roles. The problem is that he doesn't have commercial success with it and because if this he constantly has to go back and do another comedy. 

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »
My favourite movie of 2004 I think... Top 3 for sure!

hal9g

« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »
I just watched (and reviewed) this recently and my feelings were identical.  Never been a Carrey fan, but this completely changed my perception of him.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 29, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
That is one I never seen.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #230 on: July 29, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »
Jim Carrey does seek out more dramatic roles. The problem is that he doesn't have commercial success with it and because if this he constantly has to go back and do another comedy. 

I don't quite see it like that, especially as the performance of his dramas is good enough. They'll never threaten the big tent-pole releases, but still. At heart, he will always be the rubber faced loon. It's clear he loves doing it, so you'll never be far away from the next one. But both styles are complimenting each other. By all accounts, his performance in I Love You Philip Morris (based on truth) is fantastic, because on the surface, it's classic Carrey, but dig a little and you'll find a lot of substance.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2010, 09:21:30 PM »
I see him going the route of Bill Murray in the future. Murray has pretty much tried to erase from memory his Meatballs, Caddyshack and Stripes period. Carrey will probably follow suit.

hal9g

« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
I see him going the route of Bill Murray in the future. Murray has pretty much tried to erase from memory his Meatballs, Caddyshack and Stripes period. Carrey will probably follow suit.

That would be a good thing, IMHO.

Najemikon

« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »

Not seen Zombieland then?  :laugh: He is brilliantly silly in only the way he can.

While he has changed the sort of films he does, I don't think he would erase his old hits. He's been talking up Ghostbusters 3 as much as anyone...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »

Not seen Zombieland then?  :laugh: He is brilliantly silly in only the way he can.

While he has changed the sort of films he does, I don't think he would erase his old hits. He's been talking up Ghostbusters 3 as much as anyone...

I think he's really trying to distance himself now. I remember back at the 2004 Academy Awards, when his name was called as nominee for Best Actor in Lost in Translation, and then not called for winner, he was absolutely pissed. He wants to be thought of as a great actor as opposed to a great comedian. He still does comedy, but unless it's with Wes Anderson, he's generally a minor character.

Najemikon

« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2010, 09:55:44 PM »
Agreed, but watch Zombieland and tell me he wasn't loving every minute of his brilliant cameo. He might want to move on, but he has no trouble with the past.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2010, 10:00:02 PM »
He might want to move on, but he has no trouble with the past.

I don't know. If you were to chance upon him and said, Hey Bill, you were great in Meatballs, why don't you make films like that anymore?, he'd probably deck you.  :hmmmm:

Najemikon

« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2010, 10:06:10 PM »
Again, I do agree... but if you said, "I thought you were marvellous in Broken Flowers and it was a great performance you should be proud of... by the way, was Stripes fun to make?" I think he'd look back fondly. If you then said, "Now make me f***ing laugh, funny man"... then he'd deck you. :-X

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 29, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
You may be right, but I've read articles about him that paint him as a prickly pear when it comes to his work.  :whistle:

Najemikon

« Reply #239 on: July 29, 2010, 10:19:19 PM »
I honestly don't know what to make of him. He is a virtual recluse and sounds like a ruthless arsehole, but then you hear from people who know him who protest he's a really nice bloke, who simply detests the media and likes to play games with them.