Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 317561 times)

Najemikon

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Someday, KC when you start to see some of the films he's plagiarizing, you too will probably have the same kind of epiphany.

The guy you were talking to clearly was an immature fan-boy, running from one poster boy hero to the next drooling "I WUV YOU! NO. me no likey. NOW... I WUV YOU INSTEAD!". That argument is absurd. Remember Tarantino has been the critics darling, especially in Europe where film theory is at it's deepest. Are they all blinkered fan-boys? Am I?

The thing that always fascinates me is the passion of those trying to prove his weakness, yet we, the supposed "fan boys" to blame for the destruction of modern cinema, simply watch his movies, nod, high-five and say "Awesome". Then we move onto something else, leaving behind zombie-fied banshees wailing about how wrong we are.

Chill pill for table 2. It's only a movie. :tease:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2010, 06:43:36 PM »
Someday, KC when you start to see some of the films he's plagiarizing, you too will probably have the same kind of epiphany.

The guy you were talking to clearly was an immature fan-boy, running from one poster boy hero to the next drooling "I WUV YOU! NO. me no likey. NOW... I WUV YOU INSTEAD!". That argument is absurd. Remember Tarantino has been the critics darling, especially in Europe where film theory is at it's deepest. Are they all blinkered fan-boys? Am I?

The thing that always fascinates me is the passion of those trying to prove his weakness, yet we, the supposed "fan boys" to blame for the destruction of modern cinema, simply watch his movies, nod, high-five and say "Awesome". Then we move onto something else, leaving behind zombie-fied banshees wailing about how wrong we are.

Chill pill for table 2. It's only a movie. :tease:

Wow, must have struck a nerve.  ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »
I haven't minded violence in a lot of movies, but it has bothered me in other movies.  I just haven't cared for the way Tarentino has used violence in the movies I've seen.  It's almost like he's using it as a way to get attention.  LIie..hey look at what at me and what I did...eyeballs are pulled out and limbs cut off..aren't I cool?  Didn't I make the coolest movie ever?  Again..this is how it comes across to me.  Others may - and obviously do - feel differently.

Also..it doesn't mean shit to me if anyone - Tarantino or whoever - is a darling of critics.  I may read or hear what they say, but I ultimately decide for myself what I like or don't like.  And for me, Tarantino sucks more often than not.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2010, 10:20:37 PM »
It's almost like he's using it as a way to get attention.  LIie..hey look at what at me and what I did...eyeballs are pulled out and limbs cut off..aren't I cool?  Didn't I make the coolest movie ever?  Again..
It's funny how we can say the same thing about Eli Roth or Nick Palumbo, 2 others full of themselves type of director :laugh:

But at least Palumbo can be since he had done a great movie.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:29:36 PM by Jimmy »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »

Title:After Sundown
Year: 2005
Director: Christopher Abram
Rating: R
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Widescreen :1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Susana Gibb
Reece Rios
Natali Jones
Michael W. Brown
J. Christopher

Plot:
The Wild West is about to rise again in this horrifying and gory tale of the walking undead. When a strange body is exhumed from a forgotten graveyard, a vampire from the Old West is re awakened, and she's had a long time to be hungry. Now, it's up to the unfortunate souls who found her to send the creature back to Hell before their town is overrun by bloodthirsty evil.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Cowboys and vampires!

It was a good idea, and their hearts were in it but this is about as amateur as you can get. I'd hardly call this a movie... more like a high school visual arts project, and I've seen better of those. I find it absolutely miraculous that a studio and distribution company, let alone Lionsgate, would actually put their name to this fiasco.

Avoid at all costs.

KC

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2010, 12:34:54 AM »
I haven't minded violence in a lot of movies, but it has bothered me in other movies.  I just haven't cared for the way Tarentino has used violence in the movies I've seen.  It's almost like he's using it as a way to get attention.  LIie..hey look at what at me and what I did...eyeballs are pulled out and limbs cut off..aren't I cool?  Didn't I make the coolest movie ever?  Again..this is how it comes across to me.  Others may - and obviously do - feel differently.

Also..it doesn't mean shit to me if anyone - Tarantino or whoever - is a darling of critics.  I may read or hear what they say, but I ultimately decide for myself what I like or don't like.  And for me, Tarantino sucks more often than not.

Of course you make your own mind up, but I only said that because the fanboy argument gets on my nerves. It's disrespectful to genuine people like myself or in the case of this thread, KC, who have decided they do like his films. When you run out of arguments against the artist, start attacking his supporters... a method of "debating" I hope I never stoop to and if I do, please tell me.  :-X

Also, I've always been fascinated by directors who can use violence properly and the famous scene in Reservoir Dogs is an excellent example. But you must realise, the excess in the Kill Bills was for a specific reason: that's the kind of film popular in Hong Kong and Anime. When a vein is cut in one of those movies, bring an umbrella!

Again, you might not like it, I'm not saying you should, but he did not do it simply because it was cool. That was only half the reason! He did it because that's the kind of thing the Japanese like to see and the sort of film normally a Western cinema wouldn't go near. He was challenging convention. Erm... word to the wise? Don't watch Machine Girl.

Really. Don't.  :whistle:

Anyway, KC... After Sundown sounded awesome! So glad I continued reading your review. Shame, I've read a few comic stories that use that sort of premise and it always works. Well, almost always it seems.  ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2010, 12:40:38 AM »
Avoid at all costs.

KC

Rating:

Ohhh a vampire movie I never seen or even heard of before! Thanks for the warning... I just hope I am strong enough. I have a hell of a weakness for Vampire Movies!
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2010, 12:51:43 AM »
Of course you make your own mind up, but I only said that because the fanboy argument gets on my nerves. It's disrespectful to genuine people like myself or in the case of this thread, KC, who have decided they do like his films. When you run out of arguments against the artist, start attacking his supporters... a method of "debating" I hope I never stoop to and if I do, please tell me.  :-X

:redcard: I'm going to be honest here Jon, I take umbrage to that final statement.

KC stated that he had never seen any of the purported films that QT lifted from. My post was directed at that post, showing someone else who also had never seen any of the films in question. I never once insinuated that KC was a QT fanboy. My point was that when he does get around to seeing some of those films, then maybe a little bloom will be off the Tarantino rose for him.

You say you hope you never 'stoop' (believe me, a very poor choice of a word) to this method. But by misinterpreting my posting and disparaging those who don't agree with you, with your blanket assessment, is akin to the pot calling the kettle black in this instance.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2010, 12:52:46 AM »
Avoid at all costs.

KC

Rating:

Ohhh a vampire movie I never seen or even heard of before! Thanks for the warning... I just hope I am strong enough. I have a hell of a weakness for Vampire Movies!

It's kind of a hybrid vampire/zombie flick with the vampire using his powers to raise a small army of dead. The fill-ins for the zombies are laughable. Comprised mostly of what looks to be drunk college students who can barely contain their giggling as they shamble around the set.... lol    ::)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2010, 12:53:49 AM »
I just hope I am strong enough. I have a hell of a weakness for Vampire Movies!
It can't be worst than Vampires Sucks and I will buying it at its release day :laugh:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2010, 01:07:53 AM »

:redcard: I'm going to be honest here Jon, I take umbrage to that final statement.

KC stated that he had never seen any of the purported films that QT lifted from. My post was directed at that post, showing someone else who also had never seen any of the films in question. I never once insinuated that KC was a QT fanboy. My point was that when he does get around to seeing some of those films, then maybe a little bloom will be off the Tarantino rose for him.

You say you hope you never 'stoop' (believe me, a very poor choice of a word) to this method. But by misinterpreting my posting and disparaging those who don't agree with you, with your blanket assessment, is akin to the pot calling the kettle black in this instance.

Just for the record, at no point have I felt like I have been attacked or labeled a QT fanboy by Antares or anyone else for that matter.  He merely made a prediction that my opinion of QT will change upon viewing the films that inspire his work and I'm cool with that. Whether he's right or not remains to be seen.  ;)

I'm quite accustomed to lively banter about films from a very diverse and wide ranging base of opinions. Opposing views are great and make for great dialogue providing it stays cordial. That's the thing about movies... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nobody has to be right or wrong.   ;)

Lets move on shall we? That way I can get on to my Pulp Fiction review....

JUST KIDDING!    :hysterical:

KC

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2010, 02:25:20 AM »
Just for the record, at no point have I felt like I have been attacked or labeled a QT fanboy by Antares or anyone else for that matter.  He merely made a prediction that my opinion of QT will change upon viewing the films that inspire his work and I'm cool with that. Whether he's right or not remains to be seen.  ;)

Thanks KC for understanding my intention.  :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2010, 03:56:35 AM »

I have something else to add and then I'll shut up about Tarantino.

I wasn't attacking anyone for liking him or calling anyone a fanboy.  If people like his movies, fine.  I don't understand it fully because I just don't like his movies overall, but I don't get worked up about it or think people are....delusional or rabid fanboys or whatever for liking his movie.  I don't attack people for liking any sort of movie. 

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2010, 04:24:56 AM »
I just hope I am strong enough. I have a hell of a weakness for Vampire Movies!
It can't be worst than Vampires Sucks and I will buying it at its release day :laugh:

I just watched the trailer for Vampires Suck... I'll be buying it too just like I do every other spoof movie.  :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2010, 07:35:26 AM »

I'm quite accustomed to lively banter about films from a very diverse and wide ranging base of opinions. Opposing views are great and make for great dialogue providing it stays cordial. That's the thing about movies... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nobody has to be right or wrong.   ;)

Lets move on shall we? That way I can get on to my Pulp Fiction review....

JUST KIDDING!    :hysterical:

KC

Thank you, KC.  :thumbup:

I think the problem is the Tarantino argument has now been thrashed to death on this forum and unfortunately you came late. Looking at last nights situation, Antares, Jimmy and I across three threads kind of assumed all the points we'd said before and carried on regardless. Sorry you got caught in the middle. Previous debates have been just that and I got annoyed because I felt your review was kind of skimmed over in the process of jumping to conclusions.