Author Topic: Around the World in 80 DVD's  (Read 123617 times)

richierich

Re: Around the World in 80 DVD's
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
Keep out of trouble through Turkey...

Based on a true story and winner of two Academy Awards, Midnight Express follows the unsure fate of Billy Hayes (Brad Davis), a young American caught at the Turkish border trying to smuggle hashish. With his future in the hands of a foreign government, Hayes faces uncertainty and fear – papers from the Embassy mean little and the Turkish government is set to use him as an example to deter other drug dealers. With his options quickly dwindling, Hayes realizes the Midnight Express (inmate slang for “an escape” under cover of night) may be his last hope.

Written by Oliver Stone, based on a true story, a harrowing story of a man thrown in to a Turkish jail after being caught smuggling a small amount of dope. Brad Davis and John Hurt are both convincing as they slowly go mad in this torturous prison, and some scenes are extremely brutal and difficult to watch. Enjoyed this flick, despite it slumping in the middle, and would recommend it as a bargain buy. 6/10

Najemikon

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2008, 10:18:08 AM »
Richie, look at your keyboard, where the line of numbers are above the letters. Find the "7". Now, count two steps to the right and you'll find a button with "9" on it.

Next time you review Lawrence of Arabia, you push that one!  :tease:

richierich

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »
Half way through - 40 films watched, 40 films to go  :training:

Going to get tough now as I move home over the next fortnight, might have to have a cramming session at the end to complete this marathon in time.

Feelings so far are that I would not want to take on this many films in a strict timetable again, there are so many new titles that I have had in which I really want to watch, but I find myself most nights having to reach for the next dvd in the marathon instead.(Have sneaked a few films in though)

Best 'new' film so far - Cold Mountain or Black Book
Worst film so far - Extreme Ops or Where Eskimos Live
Film that has 'stayed with me in mind' - Bubba Ho-Tep or Malcolm X

richierich

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2008, 11:00:02 PM »
struggle through georgia...

Three generations of top actresses - two time Academy Award winner Jane Fonda, Lindsay Lohan and Felicity Huffman unite in a film from director Garry Marshall about the power of redemption, freedom in forgiveness and unbreakable bonds of motherhood. When Lily (Huffman) can no longer handle her rebellious teenage daughter, Rachel (Lohan), she takes her to the one place she swore she'd never return...her mother's house. For one very surprising summer, these three very different women are living under one roof and under one rule: Georgia's (Fonda).

A better than anticipated movie, certainly not a comedy as I previously thought. Bold and graphic, in many places obscene and intentionally shocking, watchable and provocative, but the script IMO just stops this being a must-see film.  5/10

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2008, 11:04:30 PM »
...I move home over the next fortnight...

Are you away from home?

richierich

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2008, 05:50:11 PM »
...I move home over the next fortnight...

Are you away from home?

bought another house Kath, moving in last and upcoming weekend, loads of humping to be done etc  :P so my back is aching

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »
Oooo...I can't imagine having to pack and move all my "stuff"...all that work... :yucky:

But...you get start with a nice new place with, hopefully, lots of room for more DVDs!

richierich

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2008, 09:59:13 AM »
across mother Russia...

Elem Klimov's stunning COME AND SEE is a relentlessly brutal condemnation of war hidden in the guise of a surrealistic coming-of-age nightmare. A physically and emotionally draining viewing experience, the film follows Florya (played brilliantly by Alexei Kravchenko), a 12-year-old boy living in 1943 Byelorussia. When he digs up an abandoned gun, Florya gleefully signs up with the Russian Army, looking forward to life as a soldier. But that fantasy rapidly deteriorates when the reality of the situation confronts him head-on. Abandoned by his fellow comrades, he stumbles across the weeping Glasha (Olga Mironova), a pretty teenager who has also been left behind. Together, the pair returns to Florya's village only to discover that everyone has been slaughtered Florya's mother and younger sisters included. The journey continues as Florya embarks on a mission to find food for the stranded inhabitants of a neighbouring village. He eventually lands in the middle of another German massacre, where the animalistic Nazis stuff the Russians into a barn and torch it, obliterating Florya's innocence completely.

This Soviet film pulls no punches and portrays war in it's most gruesome light. Deep felt hatred for the Nazis floods out of this film, and the camera style reminded me of a horror film as opposed to a typical war film. This wasn't entertainment, it was more endurance. If you are hardened and want to watch a war film that goes beyond the typical glossy hollywood fare, then try this on for size. 5/10

richierich

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2008, 09:57:23 AM »
Trudge through Pakistan...

This searing, controversial, and thought-provoking drama examines the motives and emotions behind terrorism. Co-writer Ayad Akhtar stars as Hassan, a Pakistani man who's falsely accused of terrorist associations, then imprisoned and tortured before finally leaving jail as a genuinely militant extremist. He goes to stay with his old friend Sayeed in New York (Firdous Bamji in a scene-stealing performance), where he explores the city, flirts with Sayeed's sister (Nandana Sen), and works with a group planning to bomb Grand Central. The impressive cast of unknowns and solid direction from Joseph Castelo make this tense, thoughtful drama an intriguing look at a subculture that, for obvious reasons, is more often demonized than dramatized.

Run of the mill terrorist plot and standard fare these days, the Director IMO unable to allow the characters to become associable, it felt difficult to really to warm to this film. In light of September 11 I am really surprised this film was allowed to be made, at times it seemed the film was trying to justify terrorism as a revenge. 3/10
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:59:10 AM by richierich »

richierich

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2008, 10:05:13 AM »
Trekking across sandy Afghanistan...

Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf presents this partially fictionalized documentary that illustrates the suffering of Afghan women under the Taliban regime in Afghanistan in the year 2000. The quiet, stark, powerful film follows an Afghan native, Nafas (the stunningly beautiful Noulifar Pazira), who left Afghanistan years back and got a journalism degree in Canada, upon which she built a career reporting the plight of women in oppressive nations. When she receives a letter from her sister, who is still in Afghanistan and who has decided that she will kill herself on the night of the next eclipse, Nafas decides to sneak back inside the border to rescue her. Traveling in a Red Cross helicopter to Pakistan, where she is lead on a treacherous all-night trek across an icy river and over deadly mountains, Nafas finally crosses over the border. But from there she must get to Kandahar, with only three days left before the eclipse. As a woman in Afghanistan she cannot speak out loud, travel without a husband, or show her face, elements which make her journey nearly impossible. Disguised in a heavy head-to-toe burka (the mandatory dress for women), she begins a Kafkaesque journey across the barren land, encountering obstacles both threatening and mesmerizing along the way.

An education is the best way to describe a viewing of this film, portraying life in such a country from a genuine Afghan viewpoint, it was pleasing to watch but certainly not an epic. Noulifar Pazira is stunning, the backdrop and people throughout the film captivating, and the open ending added a mysterious intrigue to the whole movie. Worth a watch on a Sunday afternoon. 5/10

richierich

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2008, 10:10:27 AM »
Dodging bullets in Sri Lanka...

Indiana Jones finds himself on a new adventure, trekking across Asia with a gold-digging woman and a young child to rescue a village's missing children and find a magic stone. But, along the way he must contend with an evil cult.

:yawn: As said before earlier in the thread, TOD tries too hard to surpass Raiders, and fails on every count. Still remains an OK film, but never touches the quality and originality of the first film of the series. 5/10

lyonsden5

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2008, 02:03:13 AM »
 :cheers: to you Richie! This marathon still impresses me. Watching you progress on the map is great... and to do it while you're moving.  :stars:

I'm in the process of moving as well and between packing boxes and work I can't hardly even squeeze in time to watch a movie let alone a whole marathon!

U Da Man!

richierich

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2008, 12:23:23 AM »
:cheers: to you Richie! This marathon still impresses me. Watching you progress on the map is great... and to do it while you're moving.  :stars:

I'm in the process of moving as well and between packing boxes and work I can't hardly even squeeze in time to watch a movie let alone a whole marathon!

U Da Man!

It's been a struggle and I'm a little behind schedule on watching now. Been mostly without internet but have found a way to borrow neighbours bandwidth on my laptop until mine is sorted.  :devil:
Have watched a few during move in the evenings unpacking boxes, doing paperwork, decorating etc - gotta keep my eye in Rick  ;)

But got my new setup now - just waiting on tv delivery Wednesday and fitter to put it on the wall above fireplace then im in home cinema heaven - hopefully all done next Saturday then I am seriously rocking  :yahoo: (note priority since moving in)

For the techno guys...

Panasonic 42" TH-42PZ70B 1920x1080 pixels 1080p resolution, fitted on Plazmount PT2 tilt
Onkyo TX-SR605 (S) Amp 1.3a Inputs with up conversion to HDMI
ps3 for blu-ray HDMI
Sony DVP-NS76H Upscaling HDMI DVD Player
Sky Box via HDMI
Mission 72 floorstanding fronts
Tannoy MX7 centre
Mission 73 rears on purpose built stands
Eltax atomic subwoofer

All fed into the amp so just 1 HDMI lead will go to plasma on the wall, the kit will eventually be out of sight in understairs cupboard controlled by Harmony R/C

richierich

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2008, 12:40:39 AM »
No stopping for a ruby in India...

Gandhi was not a ruler of nations, nor did he have scientific gifts. Yet this small, modest man did what others before him could not. He led an entire country to freedom - he gave his people hope. Gandhi, the man of the century, is explored in this breathtaking, unforgettable motion picture.

What an incredible film, learnt so much about the man and his life that I never knew before. Over 3 hours long this kept a very tired man awake until nearly 3 in the morning, but I'm not complaining. Whole-hearted recommendation and an experience to watch if you enjoy biographical epics. 7/10
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:33:42 AM by richierich »

richierich

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2008, 02:28:44 AM »
over the wall in China...

Set in the lavish and breathtakingly colorful world hidden from the eyes of mere mortals behind the walls of the Forbidden City, a tale of a royal family divided against itself builds to a mythic climax as lines are crossed, trust is betrayed, and family blood is spilled in the quest for redemption and revenge. Starring Chow Yun Fat of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' as the embattled Emperor and Gong Li of 'Memoirs of a Geisha' as his poisoned Empress, 'CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER' grants you entry into a dazzling and spectacular world of betrayal, vengeance and passion that will change he way you think of martial arts forever.

The appeal of watching martial arts steeped in history and gravity defying wire acts has paled somewhat for me, and although I could appreciate the wonderful choreography the films thinly veiled plot did not capture me in any way. 4/10