Author Topic: Around the World in 80 DVD's  (Read 123616 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Around the World in 80 DVD's
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 12:10:41 AM »
For me "Last Crusade" is my favorite of the trilogy followed by Raiders. I just love the interactions between Ford and Connery  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2008, 12:36:57 AM »
I can understand why Temple is disliked, but I think people take it too seriously. It's still a bloody good film, entertainment of the highest order. I don't like using 10 as a scale, so I vote Raiders 5/5, Temple 6/10 and Crusade 2/3...  :tease: I don't see the knight as the Jar-Jar of the series at all. I thought he was in keeping with the theme. He was old and weak because he'd been abandoned for too long... perhaps a metaphor for the world's lack of belief in general. He was forgotten. Quite sad and poetic in some ways. But however you look at it, the final shot of Crusade is one of my favourite cinema moments as they literally ride off into the sunset with the famous march playing in the background. Great stuff! Can't wait for the new one.

Empire did a preview of next year and against Indiana Jones 4, they said "if the sight of Harrison Ford in leather jacket, khaki kecks and battered fedora looking at some new danger he will reluctantly overcome doesn't fill your heart with joy, then you are officially banned from buying this magazine. Put it down. Leave now. We don't want you here. F**k off to Homes & Gardens."

I'm fully subscribed to that statement. :thumbup:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2008, 04:37:18 AM »
Empire did a preview of next year and against Indiana Jones 4, they said "if the sight of Harrison Ford in leather jacket, khaki kecks and battered fedora looking at some new danger he will reluctantly overcome doesn't fill your heart with joy, then you are officially banned from buying this magazine. Put it down. Leave now. We don't want you here. F**k off to Homes & Gardens."

I'm fully subscribed to that statement. :thumbup:
Me too. I found all 3 Indies "meh", I don't look forward to Indie 4, and I don't read the Empire magazine.  :laugh:
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2008, 05:36:28 AM »
I am one of those who like Temple the best, mainly because its sillyness. There is no plot to speak off. Whatever is happening is merely a means to get from to the next action scene. No thinking needed. If you know what you're in for, it's great! The lady is annoying at times though...

I like the score of Crusade, listened to it many times over.

Raiders is Raiders.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2008, 07:44:20 AM »
The lady is annoying at times though...
I don't know if it's the same with the original version (I have just watch the french dub one), but the little boy is much more annoying than Kate Capshaw.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »
I don't know if it's the same with the original version (I have just watch the french dub one), but the little boy is much more annoying than Kate Capshaw.
It's probably the same... I guess I found the boy less annoying because he's a kid... Although Kate Capshaw jumping around in the background scared of all the animals while Indy and Short Round play cards(?) is still funny.

richierich

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2008, 10:45:55 PM »
He was old and weak because he'd been abandoned for too long... perhaps a metaphor for the world's lack of belief in general. He was forgotten. Quite sad and poetic in some ways.
Man that's deep, brought a lump to my throat, although that could have been a bit of popcorn stuck  ;)  You are a true romantic Jon  :devil:

:thumbup:

The thought of a 66 year old fart being the lead in an adventure film makes me shudder - I have just signed up to a years subscription to Homes & Gardens  :bag:

richierich

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2008, 11:00:45 PM »
Stuttered through Lebanon...

Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean were British diplomats who disappeared in 1951 and surfaced in Moscow in 1956. There was speculation that Harold "Kim" Philby, head of the Soviet section of the British Secret Intelligence Service, was the "third man" who alerted them before they could be arrested for espionage. "A Different Loyalty," through the eyes of Philby’s wife (Stone), depicts the events surrounding Philby’s own defection. Formerly the wife of his best friend, Philby seduced and then married Eleanor. Then one night her life is shattered when Kim fails to turn up to a drinks party in Beirut and has seemingly vanished from the face of the earth. Later when he makes contact from Moscow, and still desperately in love with him, she defies threats from the US government and risks all to go and visit him. He may now be a KGB general, but, to Eleanor, he has become a diminished man

Disappointing film as I had hoped the true storyline would carry it through. Let's be honest, Sharon Stone has not impressed since Basic Instinct, and has lived off a reputation beyond her acting talents. Confusing and over-detailed, it is pretty mundane for long periods, and never really works it's potential of intrigue. The rest of the cast do an admirable job considering, and it merits a 4/10 overall, or perhaps a  :yawn:

richierich

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2008, 11:16:37 PM »
Trek across Saudi Arabia...

Adapted from the novel, 'The Autobiography of Malcolm X' written by Alex Haley, this is an amazing biopic of one of the most influential African American leaders to date. It follows the life and times of Malcolm Little through his transformation to Malcolm X and his departure from the Nation of Islam. Spike Lee's epic film captures the internal struggles, the spiritual, political and structural changes that Malcolm submitted himself to throughout his life to achieve his changing goals.

Washington displays why he should have won the Oscar by portraying one of the most enigmatic and inspiringing personalities of the civil rights movement. While personally I do not agree with all of Malcom's early philosophies, Spike Lee directs the film perfectly to create a masterpiece and make it a must own film for any biographical epic movie fan. There are inaccuracies in comparison to the book, but one forgives these discrepencies on the understanding that it was poetic license to maintain the pace of the film. 8/10  :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2008, 12:37:17 AM »
Man that's deep, brought a lump to my throat, although that could have been a bit of popcorn stuck  ;)  You are a true romantic Jon  :devil:

The second word, is "off"...  :voodoo:

The thought of a 66 year old fart being the lead in an adventure film makes me shudder - I have just signed up to a years subscription to Homes & Gardens  :bag:

Not a fan of Space Cowboys then? Or Big Jake?  ;)

richierich

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2008, 01:02:05 AM »

The second word, is "off"...  :voodoo:

lmao  :hysterical:

richierich

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2008, 10:15:56 AM »
keeping my head down in Iraq...

An examination of the Bush Administration's conduct of the Iraqi war and occupation. The film chronicles the manner in which the principle errors of U.S. policy--the use of insufficient troop levels, allowing the looting of Baghdad, the purging of professionals from the Iraqi government, and the disbanding of the Iraqi military--largely created the insurgency and chaos that engulf Iraq today. How did a group of men with little or no military experience, knowledge of the Arab world or personal experience in Iraq come to make such flagrantly debilitating decisions?

Clearly for Iraq I would select a political/war dvd, and I opted for this documentary as it had fairly good write-ups. Just being a human being this film is frightening, but being an American I would be terrified and ashamed of the whole sorry saga. It is totally damning and shows the incompetence of Bush, and his administration. One wonders how the hell these guys got in/can stay in power, especially given the stature of the American participants to the film. You wonder if such incompetence was deliberate, creating an Iraq that descended into chaos to ensure that the US could maintain their strategic dominance, and could plunder Iraq's oil reserves at will, or is it just incompetence?? Very sad viewing the unstopped flagrant looting, and consequent destruction of several thousand years worth of antiquities and history through the demolition and burning of the national museum and library in Baghdad. Haunting images will stay with me of a homemade video made by 'private soldiers' (45,000 now in Iraq) showing them randomly shooting innocent Iraqi victims in cars as they drive along a highway, to the accompaniment of some rock music - How sick can some people be?  6/10  :weep:

richierich

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »
Evacced from Somalia...

From acclaimed director Ridley Scott and renowned producer Jerry Bruckheimer and based on actual events, Black Hawk Down is the heroic account of a group of elite U.S. soldiers sent into Mogadishu, Somalia in October 1993 as part of a U.N. peacekeeping operation. When their mission takes an unexpected turn it results in the U.S. military's single biggest firefight since Vietnam.

One of my secret likes, I have always loved this film and have watched it a few times now. Full of clichés and Hollywood B/S, it still does not detract from the viewing enjoyment and hearing the pumping audio through a 5.1 played LOUD. If you looked too closely at the subject matter, US versus Somalian muslims, probably not ideal for a no-brains action war flick. Plus the truth of the actual event, apparently the worst combat day for the USA since Vietnam, is glossed over in the name of entertainment.
But for balls to the ground ass-kicking action with body parts scattering like confetti - I give this both thumbs up  :thumbup: 9/10

richierich

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »
water water water in UAE

Director David Lean follows the heroic true-life odyssey of T.E. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole) in this magnificent portrait of the famed British officer's journey to the Middle East. Assigned to Arabia during World War I, Lawrence courageously unites the warring Arab factions into a strong guerrilla front. He leads them into brilliant victories in treacherous desert battlefields where they eventually defeat the ruling Turkish Empire. Restored to its full glory in 1989.

First time I have sat down and watched the whole of this epic in one go, and was pleasantly surprised to how much we enjoyed it.  Breathtaking scenery and wizadry performed behind the cameras, PO'T is absolutely brilliant portraying Lawrence as the narcissistic masochist he undoubtably was, and you can even overlook Alec Guinness playing an Arab!  Epic in the old sense of the Hollywood word, a must-see rather than a must-own. 7/10
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:53:09 PM by richierich »

richierich

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2008, 10:05:19 AM »
Trudging across Iran...

Nominated for three Academy Awards (2003) including Best Actor for Ben Kingsley, HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG also stars Oscar winner Jennifer Connelly (Best Supporting Actress, A Beautiful Mind, 2001). When an Iranian immigrant (Kingsley) attempts to reclaim his dream - in the form of a house for his family - he's unaware that the home's former owner (Connelly) is determined to recover what she feels is rightly hers.

Both lead actors pull an average film through its paces, and co-star Aghdashloo shines as the Iranian wife immigrant wife. Nothing ground-breaking and predictable storyline, I would hesitate in recommending the purchasing of the dvd, but it is worth a watch 5/10