Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858528 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #510 on: October 18, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »

Title: Bunty aur Babli
Year: 2005
Director: Shaad Ali Sahgal
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 162 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Aishwarya Rai
Amitabh Bachchan
Abhishek Bachchan
Rani Mukerji
Kiran Joneja Sippy

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2006NominatedBest Actor AwardAbhishek Bachchan
Filmfare Awards2006NominatedBest Actress AwardRani Mukerji
Filmfare Awards2005WonBest Female Playback AwardAlisha Chinai
Filmfare Awards2006WonBest Lyricist AwardGulza
Filmfare Awards2006NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2006WonBest Music Director AwardShankar-Ehsaan-Loy
Filmfare Awards2006NominatedBest Supporting Actor AwardAmitabh Bachchan
IIFA Awards2006WonBest Female PlaybackAlisha Chinoy
IIFA Awards2006WonBest Music DirectorShankar-Ehsaan-Loy

Extras:
Music Videos
Outtakes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The Wikipedia article compares this movie with the movie Bonnie and Clyde. As I have never seen that one, I cannot really comment on this, but it really reminded me of Catch Me If You Can. Only with a couple instead of a single con artist. And like in Catch Me If You Can there is a policeman following them. Even the ending is very similar.
Although I enjoyed most of the songs in this one, they rarely were integrated into the plot.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 18, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »

Title: U, Me aur Hum
Year: 2008
Director: Ajay Devgan
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 156 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Ajay Devgan
Kajol Devgan
Divya Dutta
Isha Sharvani
Karran Khanna

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2009NominatedBest Actress AwardKajol

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is a story about a couple who falls in love (after much pursuing by the man), but after they are married, the woman develops Alzheimer's. The second half of this movie is about how the couple are handling this.

I liked the story itself in this movie, but I didn't much care for the songs. Without them, the movie is a nice romantic movie that I can recommend to watch.

It is nice to see more movies with Kajol again. This is the second movie I have seen which she has made after her baby break (the other was Fanaa which I reviewed recently).

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 18, 2009, 09:17:30 PM »

Title: Red Dwarf II
Year: 1988
Director:
Rating: 12
Length: 174 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Plot:
Three million years from Earth, the mining ship Red Dwarf. Its crew: Dave Lister, the last human being alive; Arnold Rimmer, a hologram of his dead bunkmate; and a creature who evolved from the ship's cat.

Extras:
Collectors Booklet
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Interviews
Music Cues
Music Videos
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Talking Book Chapters
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I didn't enjoy the second series as much as the first one. But that is not to say, that it was bad. It is still one of the best sci-fi comedies ever.
In this series we first meet Kryten, although played by a different actor than later on. The best episodes are Queeg, where Holly plays an elaborate joke on the crew, and Parallel Universe where the crew meets alternate female versions of themselves.

#EpisodeRating
01Kryten
02Better Than Life
03Thanks for the Memory
04Stasis Leak
05Queeg
06Parallel Universe

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 18, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »

Title: Red Dwarf III
Year: 1989
Director:
Rating: 12
Length: 161 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Plot:
The Red Dwarf crew stumble further into deep space facing an emotion-sucking polymorph, a psychotic mechanoid and a version of Earth where time runs backwards. Sdaehgems.

Extras:
Collectors Booklet
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Music Cues
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Talking Book Chapters
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The third series is really great. A new regular character is introduced: Kryten. He is a really great addition to the cast. Also Holly is replaced with a female version. Although I missed the deadpan delivery of the male Holly, the ditzy female Holly is also fun.
This series is off to a great start with Backwards, where the crew lands on an alternate earth, where everything runs backwards.
Marooned is a great character piece between Lister and Rimmer.
Polymorph is simply fun with a shapeshifting something loose on the ship.
In Bodyswap Rimmer convinces Lister to swap bodies (being a hologram is cannot touch anything with his normal body). But instead of the promised work out, he really pigs out with Lister's body.
Timeslides is some timetravel fun, where the crew tries to change the past to prevent themselves being caught on Red Dwarf.

#EpisodeRating
01Backwards
02Marooned
03Polymorph
04Bodyswap
05Timeslides
06The Last Day

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 24, 2009, 08:03:55 PM »

Title: The Big Bang Theory: Season Two
Year: 2008
Director:
Rating: 15
Length: 536 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish

Plot:
The science of funny is back! At work, physicist Leonard and Sheldon and their geek pals conquer the cosmos. At home, real life - from dating to driving - conquers them. This season, Leonard gets a girl. So does Sheldon. (Sheldon?!) Howard drives the Mars Rover into a ditch. Raj woos a terminator. Gorgeous girl-next-door Penny falls under the spell of Age of Conan. And super-smart, überconfident Leslie Winkler reduces mere men to spineless jellyfish. Twenty-two laugh-filled episodes from series creators Chuck Lorre (Two and a Half Men) and Bill Prady (Gilmore Girls) and a talented cast with astronomical comedy IQs shows why Big Bang is such a big hit.

Extras:
Featurettes
Outtakes

My Thoughts:
I love this series. The funniest series in a long time. I especially love the interactions between Sheldon and Penny. I still believe, that if the series lasts long enough, these two should finally end up together.

#EpisodeRating
01The Bad Fish Paradigm
02The Codpiece Topology
03The Barbarian Sublimination
04The Griffin Equivalency
05The Euclid Alternative
06The Cooper-Nowitzki Theorem
07The Panty Piñata Polarization
08The Lizard Spock Expansion
09The White Asparagus Triangulation
10The Vartabedian Conundrum
11The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis
12The Killer Robot Instability
13The Friendship Algorithm
14The Financial Permeability
15The Maternal Capacitance
16The Cushion Saturation
17The Terminator Decoupling
18The Work Song Nanocluster
19The Dead Hooker Juxtaposition
20The Hofstadter Isotope
21The Vegas Renormalization
22The Classified Materials Turbulence
23The Monopolar Expedition

snowcat

« Reply #515 on: October 24, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »
I love this series. The funniest series in a long time. I especially love the interactions between Sheldon and Penny. I still believe, that if the series lasts long enough, these two should finally end up together.

Agreed!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 25, 2009, 07:29:24 AM »
Question is though, what is "long enough"? And therefore "will we care?"

In short: I hope they don't drag it out too long and quit while they are ahead. (not that I really believe that, I guess they'll milk it until they last drop).

I have watched the first disc of season 2 so far and am liking it very much until now.

snowcat

« Reply #517 on: October 25, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »
I hope they don't drag it out too long, I hope they try and take a new direction in series 4
(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #518 on: October 25, 2009, 09:09:11 AM »
Somehow I can't imagine Sheldon and Penny. Thus far Sheldon shows no interest towards any woman at all and I don't see a reason why Penny should suddenly fall for Sheldon (and hurt Leonard in the process?). It's like Rachel+Joey: Just doesn't work...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 25, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
And I don't see what Penny sees in Leonard. He is just too whiny. Though I haven't seen any episodes from season 3, so I do not know how this develops. But everytime I see Sheldon and Penny interact, I see moments where she seems to see past his eccentricities. And the fact that Sheldon often seeks out Penny's advice at least shows, that he has come to like her.
And also: Rachel and Joey had more sparks between them than Ross and Rachel towards the end of the series.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 25, 2009, 09:29:52 AM »
One of my favorite moments in season 2:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #521 on: October 25, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »
One of my favorite moments in season 2:

Mine, too. That Scene is so great. The other one is where Penny raises her shields.

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #522 on: October 25, 2009, 09:57:04 AM »
And I don't see what Penny sees in Leonard. He is just too whiny. Though I haven't seen any episodes from season 3, so I do not know how this develops. But everytime I see Sheldon and Penny interact, I see moments where she seems to see past his eccentricities. And the fact that Sheldon often seeks out Penny's advice at least shows, that he has come to like her.
And also: Rachel and Joey had more sparks between them than Ross and Rachel towards the end of the series.

I'm liking Penny and Leonard together. 
I do think Penny and Sheldon have wonderful interactions, but I don't see them as a couple.  Sheldon has accepted her as a friend..but I don't think he'd go further.  He doesn't even talk about liking women.  The closest he's really come is when he sort of stole Raj's date..and even then he had no clue what he'd done wrong.
And Rachel and Joey was all wrong.  Just the hint at that really annoyed me..and I believe that was another time when I stopped watching for a while.  I kept getting annoyed when it looked like Ross and Rachel would get back together to only have another fight or something.  I still haven't seen the episodes when they first broke up..and have seen very few of the ones when Ross was dating that woman from England he married...Emily I think..I didn't like that either.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #523 on: October 25, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »
I take you Rachel, erm, Emily...  ;D
Karsten

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 25, 2009, 11:15:30 AM »
I do think Penny and Sheldon have wonderful interactions, but I don't see them as a couple.  Sheldon has accepted her as a friend..but I don't think he'd go further.  He doesn't even talk about liking women.  The closest he's really come is when he sort of stole Raj's date..and even then he had no clue what he'd done wrong.
Or when his groupies invited themselves to his home he was just happy to get a fee dinner. (Obviously it went all downhill after the dinner, but you've all already seen it anyway).

As much as I agree that Leonhard (or whatever he's spelled like) is a whiner I can see that getting Sheldon together with Penny in just one season, or no more than two, would be entirely wrong and against character. Maybe he and the Sara Gilbert character can somehow overcome their animosity....? :hmmmm: