Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858552 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #480 on: August 27, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »

Title: Grease
Year: 1977
Director: Randal Kleiser
Rating: PG
Length: 110 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
John Travolta
Olivia Newton-John
Stockard Channing
Jeff Conaway
Barry Pearl

Plot:
GREASE IS THE ONE THAT YOU WANT!

Go back to school with Pink Lady Sandy (Olivia Newton John), leader of the bad-boy T-Birds, Danny (John Travolta) and a rockin' and rollin' all-star cast. Now available for the first time as a remastered Special Edition Blu-ray Disc and featuring rockin' bonus materials, Grease: Rockin' Edition is the word!

Awards:
Academy Award1978NominatedBest Music, Song"Hopelessly Devoted To You": John Farrar (Music/Lyrics)
AFI1978Won100 Years of Musicals (2006)
AFI1978Nominated100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI1978Won100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
AFI1978Nominated100 Years... 100 Songs (2004)"Song": Hopelessly Devoted To You
AFI1978Won100 Years... 100 Songs (2004)"Song": Summer Nights
AFI1978Nominated100 Years... 100 Songs (2004)"Song": You're The One That I Want
Golden Globe1978NominatedActor in a Leading Role - Musical or ComedyJohn Travolta
Golden Globe1978NominatedActress in a Leading Role - Musical or ComedyOlivia Newton-John
Golden Globe1978NominatedOriginal Song"Grease": Barry Gibb (Music/Lyrics)
Golden Globe1978NominatedOriginal Song"You're the One That I Want": John Farrar (Music/Lyrics)
Golden Globe1978NominatedPicture - Musical or ComedyAllan Carr, Robert Stigwood

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Sing-Along Track.
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I love the "Summer Nights" song, but the rest of the movie I find rather boring. It doesn't help that all actors look at least 10 years too old for their roles.

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #481 on: August 27, 2009, 06:39:27 PM »
Most of the cast was about 10 years older than the parts they were playing..if I remember right, most of them were in their late 20s.  A couple of the more minor characters were the right age..One of the Pink Ladies and maybe someone else.  I can't remember which one now.  Stockard Channing was the oldest at like 33 or 34 I think it was.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 31, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »

Title: Day Watch
Year: 2006
Director: Timur Bekmambetov
Rating: 15
Length: 146 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: Russian: Dolby Digital TrueHD, Russian: DTS 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, French: DTS 5.1, German: DTS 5.1
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Konstantin Khabensky
Maria Poroshina
Vladimir Menshov
Galina Tyunina
Victor Verzhbitsky

Plot:
Only one thing stands between peace and Armageddon: the supernatural agents of Day Watch, who fight to control the armies of light and darkness.

Like The Matrix Day Watch combines cutting-edge digital effects and mind-blowing action to create a stunningly original world, taking you on an even wilder ride with more intense thrills and incredible effects.

Awards:
European Film Awards2005NominatedThe Jameson People’s Choice Award for Best European DirectorTimur Bekmambetov
Saturn2007NominatedBest International Film

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is the sequel to Night Watch. A little confusing at times. Especially the beginning. It gets better toward the end, but for some reason I never really warmed up to this movie. Also I am unsure if I like the end:
(click to show/hide)

Rating:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:31:46 PM by Tom »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 01, 2009, 07:07:50 AM »
Also I am unsure if I like the end:
(click to show/hide)
What confused me about the ending is, why they insist this should be a trilogy. I think it works very well as a two-parter (BTW; I didn't mind the ending...).

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #484 on: September 01, 2009, 09:00:06 AM »
What confused me about the ending is, why they insist this should be a trilogy. I think it works very well as a two-parter (BTW; I didn't mind the ending...).

Because they are based on a four-part book set? ;)

Night Watch (Russian: Ночной дозор, Nochnoy Dozor) is a fantasy novel by a popular Russian writer Sergei Lukyanenko published in 1998.

The novel is first in a tetralogy that continues with Day Watch (Dnevnoy Dozor, Дневной дозор), Twilight Watch (Sumerechny Dozor, Сумеречный дозор) and Final Watch (Posledniy Dozor, Последний дозор).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_%28Russian_novel%29
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 01, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »
Because they are based on a four-part book set? ;)
Well, yeah, there's that.

Well, you know what I mean. Not having read the graphic novels I had the impression that they modified the ending to make it a two parter. Either way, the movies are supposed to become a trilogy, then why not a quadrilogy like the books???

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »
Don't ask me. I've neither read the books nor watched the movies.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »
     Fanaa (2006/India)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Alive, Rapid Eye Movies (Germany)
Director:Kunal Kohli
Writing:Shibani Bathija (Story By), Shibani Bathija (Screenwriter), Kunal Kohli (Screenwriter)
Length:168 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:German

Stars:
Aamir Khan as Rehan Qadri
Kajol as Zoomi Ali Beg
Rishi Kapoor as Zulfikar Ali Beg
Tabu as Malini Tyagi
Kirron Kher as Nafisa Ali Beg

Plot:
Choices- to choose between right or wrong is simple, but what defines one's life is the decision between the greater of two goods or the lesser of two evils. This is the advice that Zooni Ali Beg (Kajol) receives from her father just as she is about to venture out into the world on her own for the very first time. Little does she know that these very words will shape her life.

Zooni, a blind Kashmiri girl meets Rehan Qadri (Aamir Khan), a local tour guide and an incorrigible flirt who goes from city to city exploring their architecture as also the women. Her friends warn her against this good-for-nothing roadside-romeo, but she chooses to ignore them. She is not one to be protected. It is now her time to discover life, and love. Is this really the right choice?

Rehan is fascinated by Zooni. He truly wants her to see life as it should be seen, in its many colours, and as he promises her, the time spent with him will be the most precious in all her life. Zooni sees Delhi, life and love like she never has before, because of Rehan.

What Zooni doesn't know is that Rehan has another side of his life that he has kept from her, something that can not only change her life but can also destroy it...

Awards:
Won:
Filmfare Awards (2007)  Best Actress Award (Kajol)
Filmfare Awards (2007)  Best Lyricist Award ("Chand Sifarish": Prasoon Joshi)
Filmfare Awards (2007)  Best Male Playback Award ("Chand Sifarish": Shaan, Kailash Kher)
IIFA Awards (2007)  Best Male Playback (Shaa)
Nominated:
Filmfare Awards (2007)  Best Music Director Award (Jatin-Lalit)

Extras:
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This movie is Kajol's comeback movie after her baby break. I really enjoyed the first half of the movie, where Aamir Khan's character (Rehan) meets the blind Zoomi (Kajol) and they slowly fall in love.
(click to show/hide)
Kajol and Aamir Khan had great chemistry, and I am happy that we get the chance to see further movies with her.

Rating:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:32:30 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 07, 2009, 11:23:04 PM »
     Taare Zameen Par (2007/India)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Alive, Rapid Eye Movies (Germany)
Director:Aamir Khan
Writing:Amole Gupte (Writer)
Length:156 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:German

Stars:
Darsheel Safary as Ishaan
Aamir Khan as Nirumbh Sir
Tanay Cheda as Rajan
Sachet Engineer as Yohan
Tisca Chopra as Mother

Plot:
Eight-year-old Ishaan's world is filled with wonders that no one else seems to appreciate. Adults are more interested in things like homework and marks. And Ishaan just can't seem to get anything right in class. When he gets into more trouble than his parents can handle, he is packed off to boarding school to 'be disciplined'... New Art teacher, Nikumbh, soon realizes that something is wrong and sets out to discover why. With time, patience and care, he ultimately helps Ishaan find himself.

Awards:
Won:
Filmfare Awards (2008)  Best Director Award (Aamir Khan)
Filmfare Awards (2008)  Best Lyricist Award ("Maa": Prasoon Joshi)
Filmfare Awards (2008)  Best Movie Award
Filmfare Awards (2008)  Best Story Award (Amole Gupte)
Filmfare Awards (2008)  Critics Award for Best Performance (Darsheel Safary)
Nominated:
Filmfare Awards (2008)  Best Actor Award (Darsheel Safary)
Filmfare Awards (2008)  Best Supporting Actor Award (Aamir Khan)
Filmfare Awards (2008)  Best Supporting Actress Award (Tisca Chopra)

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
An enjoyable 2 1/2 hour movie. It is the first time, that Aamir Khan did direct a movie (and also stars in it), and he did a fine job. Especially considering that he had to direct a lot of children. Story-wise I found it too predictable though. Hardly any surprises at all. But good performances all-around make up for this. Also some great songs are in this movie.

Rating:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:30:43 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 09, 2009, 09:29:36 PM »

Title: Drop Dead Fred
Year: 1991
Director: Ate de Jong
Rating: 12
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, French: Dolby Digital Stereo, German: Dolby Digital Stereo, Russian: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish

Stars:
Phoebe Cates
Rik Mayall
Marsha Mason
Tim Matheson
Carrie Fisher

Plot:
Rik Mayall (The Young Ones, The New Statesman) gives a typically manic "Bottom"-style performance in this rip-roaringly funny comedy. This hilarious film also starts Phoebe Cates (Princess Caraboo, Gremlins 2), Bridget Fonda (A Simple Plan) and Carrie Fisher (Star Wars). When Elizabeth (Cates) returns to her mother's home when her marriage breaks up, she recreates her imaginary childhood friends, Fred (Maypall), to escape from the trauma of losing her husband and her job. In between the chaos and mayhem that Fred creates, Elizabeth desperately attempts to win back her husband and return to normality, with comical results.

Awards:
Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Phoebe Cates is awfully cute as always. Too bad that she stopped doing movies so early. Even though this movie looks like a children's movie, I wouldn't recommend to youngsters. The DVD rating is 12 and that sounds about right. It has some nice performances by Rik Mayall as Drop Dead Fred, but overall this movie could have been more. For Phoebe fans this is a nice little movie to watch.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 11, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »

Title: Legally Blonde
Year: 2001
Director: Robert Luketic
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Reese Witherspoon
Luke Wilson
Selma Blair
Matthew Davis
Victor Garber

Plot:
Boldly going where no blonde has gone.

She's a California sorority girl who'll do anything to keep her man. Even if it means going all the way... to law school! Reese Witherspoon (Election) stars with Luke Wilson (Charlie's Angels), Selma Blair (Cruel Intentions), Matthew Davis (Pearl Harbor) and Victor Garber (Titanic) in a knock-out comedy with a heart of gold - and hair to match!

Elle Woods (Witherspoon) is a California blonde with couture clothes, fabulous friends and the hottest boyfriend on campus. So when Warner Huntington III (Davis) suddenly dumps her and heads for Harvard Law School, Elle takes matters into her own perfectly manicured hands. She enrolls too! Now getting Warner back should be a snap, right? Wrong! Elle's about to begin the toughest fight of her life - for love, honor, justice and respect for blondes everywhere!

Awards:
Golden Globe2001NominatedActress in a Leading Role - Musical or ComedyReese Witherspoon
Golden Globe2001NominatedPicture - Musical or ComedyRic Kidney, Marc Platt
MTV Movie Awards2002WonBest Comedic PerformanceReese Witherspoon
MTV Movie Awards2002NominatedBest Female PerformanceReese Witherspoon
MTV Movie Awards2002NominatedBest Movie
Teen Choice Awards2001WonFilm - Movie of the Summer

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I haven't watched this movie for years, but it was still very enjoyable. Usually in movies, the beautiful blonde sorority girl is the bad guy and the plain looking ones are the good ones. This time it's the other way around.
Also some new familiar faces are to be seen here, which I didn't know when I have watched the movie the last time.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 11, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
Some reason I always put off Legally Blonde.... I guess it just didn't sound good to me. I may have to give it a chance one of these days.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #492 on: September 11, 2009, 09:58:49 PM »
Some reason I always put off Legally Blonde.... I guess it just didn't sound good to me. I may have to give it a chance one of these days.

The first one is really funny in its very own blonde/pink/orange way. The second one is a usual sequel that can't keep up with its predecessor.
Karsten

Rogmeister

« Reply #493 on: September 12, 2009, 12:55:12 AM »
I don't see how you could avoid seeing Legally Blonde...every cable channel in America seems to take turns showing it again...and again...and again!  I enjoy the first one but I have never seen the second one...I heard the sequel was painfully bad.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #494 on: September 12, 2009, 01:31:59 AM »
The sequel wasn't as good...it was ok.  I really haven't wanted to see it again.