Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 863151 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #435 on: July 26, 2009, 10:38:01 AM »

Title: Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham
Year: 2001
Director: Karan Johar
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 210 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Stereo, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Amitabh Bachchan
Jaya Bachchan
Shah Rukh Khan
Kajol
Hrithik Roshan

Plot:
Yashovardhan Raichand (Amitabh Bachchan) and his wife Nandini (Jaya Bachchan) have raised their sons, Rahul (Shah Rukh Khan) and Rohan (Hrithik Roshan) showering them with love and affection. Yash has tried to pass on to his sons the values, heritage and traditions of their family. Nandini has different dreams for her sons. Dreams of love that she wanted both her sons to experience, more so Rahul as she shares a special bond with him. A bond that has been cultivated with love for a child that was never meant to be... a child who was adopted. Rahul's adoption was a secret never discussed in the Raichand household. Ever since Rahul found out at the age of 8 years, it became the reason for his unending gratitude for his parents- especially his father. His father's every wish became a command for him. A command which he never breaks until he falls in love with Anjali (Kajol)- a bubbly girl from Chandni Chowk, who dotes on her younger sister Pooja (Kareena Kapoor). Rahul marries Anjali and brings her home but his father doesn't approve of her. Rahul thus decides to leave home causing his mother's every waking moment to be spent eagerly awaiting his return. Seeing this the younger son Rohan makes a promise to reunite the family and bring back the happiness they once shared.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Actor AwardShahrukh Khan
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Actress AwardKajol
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Art Direction AwardSharmishta Roy
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Dialogue AwardKaran Johar
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Supporting Actor AwardHrithik Roshan
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Supporting Actor AwardAmitabh Bachchan
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Supporting Actress AwardKareena Kapoor
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Supporting Actress AwardJaya Bachchan
IIFA Awards2002WonBest Male PlaybackSonu Nigam
IIFA Awards2002WonBest Supporting ActressJaya Bachchan

Extras:
Music Videos
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I had the urge to watch this movie again. Again I didn't mind that it was 3.5 hours long. This movie was one of the first Bollywood movies I had seen and at that time, I didn't know most of the actors yet. Now this movie is full of familiar faces for me. We have Kajol, who starred in "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" and "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge", playing the love interest of SRK. We have lovely Rani Mukherji as the childhood friend, who SRK's character was supposed to marry according to his father. We have Kareena Kapoor, who plays a similar role as in "Mujhse Dosti Karoge". That of a spoiled brat with a good heart. Even the boy who counts stars from "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" makes a cameo appearance.
I didn't like the movie as much as the director's latest effort ("Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna"), but it was fun nonetheless.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:11:38 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 27, 2009, 12:08:08 AM »

Title: Salaam Namaste
Year: 2005
Director: Siddharth Raj Anand
Length: 152 Min.

Stars:
Saif Ali Khan
Preity Zinta
Arshad Warsi
Tania Zaetta
Jugal Hansraj

Plot:
Falling in Love. It's very easy to do. Being in love - now that's the tough part!

Join us as we say 'Salaam Namaste' to Nick (Saif Ali Khan) and Ambar (Preity Zinta) down under in the city of Melbourne. He's a Chef; she's a Radio Jockey. They're young, they're cool, they're independent - and together they make the BEST pair!

Or do they?

Surrounded by quirky friends, bosses and landlords but far away from home, Nick and Ambar take a huge leap of faith as they decide to move in together. And now they must tiptoe towards getting to know each other!

They are attracted to each other - but they fight. They live together, but as friends, in different rooms. They're in a relationship - but then again they're not. They seem to want the same things, but it seems that they have very little in common.

So are they really made for each other? Are they actually compatible? Is this whole thing worth it?

After all, if a relationship is what happens when you're busy not thinking about it - then what does it mean when everything has to be such a 'decision'?

Salaam Namaste gives us a quirky take on life, love and relationships as it looks at a fairy tale with a bit of a squint. Full of color, humor and zest it is an endearing look at what being in love really means!!!

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2006NominatedBest Actress AwardPreity Zinta
Filmfare Awards2006NominatedBest Supporting Actor AwardArshad Warsi
IIFA Awards2006WonBest ComedianJaved Jaffrey

Extras:
Scene Access
Music Videos

My Thoughts:
A fun comedy about a couple who start out with a private war, because he didn't show up for a radio interview he was supposed to do in her show. Later on they meet without knowing with who they are dealing with and fall in love. Despite learning their true identities, they decide to live together to see, if there is a relationship in the cards, because otherwise they wouldn't have time to see each other in their busy schedules. First everything is perfect, until she gets pregnant and he is not at all happy about that she won't abort the baby.
Their landlord is a strange fellow: An Indian living in Australia wearing cowboy clothes and always on about not "trusting any Indians" :laugh:

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:11:05 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 27, 2009, 08:08:39 PM »

Title: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Year: 1966
Director: Mike Nichols
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 126 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Mono, English: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: Czech, Danish, English, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Elizabeth Taylor
Richard Burton
George Segal
Sandy Dennis

Plot:
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are ideal as malevolent marrieds Martha and George in first-time film director Mike Nichols' searing film of Edward Albee's groundbreaking 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?' Taylor won her second Academy Award® (and New York Film Critics, National Board of Review and British Film Academy Best Actress Awards). Burton matches her as her emotionally spent spouse. And George Segal and Best Supporting Actress Oscar® winner Sandy Dennis score as another couple straying into their destructive path. The movie won a total of five Academy Awards® and remains after 40 years a taboo-toppling landmark.

Awards:
Academy Award1966NominatedBest ActorRichard Burton
Academy Award1966WonBest ActressElizabeth Taylor
Academy Award1966WonBest Art Direction, Black-and-WhiteRichard Sylbert (Art Direction); George James Hopkins (Set Decoration)
Academy Award1966WonBest Cinematography, Black-and-WhiteHaskell Wexler
Academy Award1966WonBest Costume Design, Black-and-WhiteIrene Sharaff
Academy Award1966NominatedBest DirectorMike Nichols
Academy Award1966NominatedBest Film EditingSam O'Steen
Academy Award1966NominatedBest Music, Original ScoreAlex North
Academy Award1966NominatedBest PictureErnest Lehman (Producer)
Academy Award1966NominatedBest SoundGeorge R. Groves (Sound Director, Warner Bros. Studio Sound Department)
Academy Award1966NominatedBest Supporting ActorGeorge Segal
Academy Award1966WonBest Supporting ActressSandy Dennis
Academy Award1966NominatedBest Writing, Adapted ScreenplayErnest Lehman
AFI1966Nominated100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI1966Won100 Years... 100 Movies (2007)
AFI1966Won100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
AFI1966Nominated100 Years... 25 Scores (2005)"Composer": Alex North
BAFTA1966WonBritish ActorRichard Burton
BAFTA1966WonBritish ActressElizabeth Taylor
BAFTA1966WonFilmMike Nichols
Golden Globe1966NominatedActor in a Leading Role - DramaRichard Burton
Golden Globe1966NominatedActor in a Supporting RoleGeorge Segal
Golden Globe1966NominatedActress in a Leading Role - DramaElizabeth Taylor
Golden Globe1966NominatedActress in a Supporting RoleSandy Dennis
Golden Globe1966NominatedDirectorMike Nichols
Golden Globe1966NominatedPicture - DramaErnest Lehman
Golden Globe1966NominatedScreenplayErnest Lehman

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Interviews
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
It has been about 15 years since I last saw this movie. The acting by all four stars is fabulous. The big reveal at the end is the one thing I mainly remembered of this movie.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:10:33 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 27, 2009, 11:50:55 PM »

Title: Becoming Jane
Year: 2007
Director: Julian Jarrold
Rating: PG
Length: 121 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: DTS HD HR
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Anne Hathaway
James McAvoy
James Cromwell
Maggie Smith
Anna Maxwell Martin

Plot:
Jane Austen (ANNE HATHAWAY) believes in love. Her parents (JULIE WALTERS and JAMES CROMWELL) want her to marry for money and in 1795 England that was the way of the world for a young woman. But when the 20-year-old meets the dashing young Irishman, Tom Lefroy (JAMES MCAVOY), his intellect and arrogance ignite Jane's curiosity and her world spins head-over-heels. Can Jane afford to spurn the offer of Lady Gresham's (MAGGIE SMITH) nephew, defy the authority of her parents and fly in the face of social convention? In BECOMING JANE, a young lady on the first rung of literary greatness risks a romance that was to shape her life and her work.

Awards:
British Independent Film Awards2007NominatedBest Performance by a Actress in a British Independent FilmAnn Hathaway

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie was rather boring to me. It's not the fault of any of the actors (they did a good job). It's more the fault of the screenplay. It was hard for me to stay focused during the two-hour runtime.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:09:42 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 28, 2009, 01:27:51 PM »

Title: Dil Chahta Hai
Director: Farhan Akhtar
Rating: PG
Length: 185 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.20
Audio: Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Arabic, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Akshaye Khanna
Saif Ali Khan
Aamir Khan
Preity Zinta
Sonali Kulkarni

Plot:
Akash, Sameer, Siddharth

These names were synonymous with friendship. Through their schooling, their college days they were regarded by all who knew them, as inseparable. Nothing could come between them. Until something did.
This is where the story of Dil Chahta Hai begins.

AKASH (Aamir Khan) is a non believer. He thinks the whole concept of love is created to ruin perfectly healthy two week long relationships. He has been heard saying and we quote "Woh do hafte bhi zayaada the". SAMEER (Saif Ali Khan) is a believer. He wants to be in love. He loves being in love. Unfortunately for him though, he hasn't quite grasped the concept of it just yet. Wearing his heart on his sleeve, he is out there persevering, believing that he will find that "special her" as long he keeps looking.
SIDDARTH (Akshaye Khanna) just is. Mature, sensitive and understanding, Siddharth a.k.a Sid knows the true meaning of the word. He feels it everyday, every hour, every minute. He has, in a manner of speaking, attained modern day enlightenment.

Dil Chahta Hai
is a film about these three distinct characters, their individual relationships and the effect that those relationships have on their friendship.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Actor AwardAamir Khan
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Choreography AwardFarah Khan
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Comedian AwardSaif Ali Khan
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Director AwardFarhan Akhtar
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Editing AwardSreekar Prasad
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Music Director AwardShankar-Ehsaan-Loy
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Screenplay AwardFarhan Akhtar
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Supporting Actor AwardSaif Ali Khan
Filmfare Awards2002WonBest Supporting Actor AwardAkshaye Khanna
Filmfare Awards2002WonCritics Award for Best Movie
IIFA Awards2002WonBest Supporting ActorSaif Ali Khan

Extras:
Booklet
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie was okay. Nothing really extra-ordinary. It focuses on three good friends who have a falling out. And their respective meeting and falling in love with a girl. I liked the story of the relationship between Akash and Shalini (Preity Zinta) best.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:09:17 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 28, 2009, 08:43:32 PM »

Title: The Little Mermaid
Year: 1975
Director: Karel Kachyna
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Miroslava Safránková
Radovan Lukavský
Petr Svojtká
Libuse Safránková
Marie Rosulková

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
There are a lot of Czech fairy tale movie which were also quite popular in Germany. I have reviewed a few before. This one is a much more faithful adaption of "Little Mermaid" than the Disney version, including the tragic ending. But I didn't enjoy this movie. It was very boring for me. It took about 40 minutes until the mermaid finally met the prince (about half of the total runtime). And even after that it was painful to watch. Mostly because of the horrible German dub I assume. Maybe it would have been better to hear more natural voices. But sadly this DVD release does not have the original Czech audio track.

Rating:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:30:54 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 29, 2009, 11:24:15 PM »

Title: Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
Year: 1998
Director: Karan Johar
Length: 177 Min.

Stars:
Shahrukh Khan
Kajol
Rani Mukherji
Farida Jalal
Reema

Plot:
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (Something is Happening) is a story of 2 best friends at college. Rahul (Shahrukh Khan) and tomboy Anjali (Kajol).

Unknown to Rahul, Anjali has fallen in love with him - When Rahul confesses that he is in love with Tina (Rani Mukherji), Anjali is heartbroken and decides to leave the college so that Rahul and Tina can get together.

Now, nine years have passed and Rahul is a single parent after Tina's demise.

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is a story of best friends.... Now they are falling in love.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Actor AwardShahrukh Khan
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Actress AwardKajol
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Art Direction AwardSharmishta Roy
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Director AwardKaran Johar
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards1999NominatedBest Music Director AwardJatin Lalit
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Screenplay AwardKaran Johar
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Supporting Actor AwardSalman Khan
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Supporting Actress AwardRani Mukerji

Extras:
Music Videos
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is now the second time I have watched this movie, and I liked more than the first time around. Kajol and Shahrukh Khan are often said to be the best Bollywood screen couple in recent years, and this movie is no exception. Also Rani Mukherji did a great job as Tina. This time I also liked the first half very much so, including the SRK's character in the flashback.
There are also some other now familiar faces here, like Anupam Kher, who plays Tina's father (he was also in the other SRK/Kajol vehicles and even in English language movies like Bend It Like Beckham and Bride & Prejudice). And another familiar face now is Salman Khan, who played Anjali's fiancé in this movie. He was also in Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam, another SRK movie.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:08:22 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 30, 2009, 05:54:25 PM »

Title: Chori Chori Chupke Chupke
Director: Abbas-Mustan
Length: 159 Min.

Stars:
Salman Khan
Rani Mukherji
Preity Zinta
Prem Chopra
Farida Jalal

Plot:
Chori Chori Chupke Chupke is a unique thriller for the whole family from Abbas-Mustan. Unique because there is no crime committed, no villian, no vamp, not even a single negative character in the film. It is the unusual and intriguing web of human relationships in the film that contributes to the edge-of-the seat suspense in the film.

Chori Chori Chupke Chupke is also the unique love story of our three main protagonists Raj (Salman), Priya (Rani Mukherjee) and Madhoo (Preity Zinta) but it is not eternal triangle. It is a love story of three people, which ends not in tragedy but in the totality of relationships. Chori Chori Chupke Chupke is a love story coloured with the bloom of youth and melodious music, it is a complete family entertainment, that succeeds in arousing your curiousity and keeps you in suspense till the very last scene.

Chori Chori Chupke Chupke is a must-see film for everybody.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2002NominatedBest Supporting Actress AwardPreity Zinta

Extras:
Karaoke Songs
Poster
Scene Access
Soundtrack Premiere
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A good movie. A couple cannot have any children after a miscarriage and hire a prostitute to be a surrogate mother. Some scenes were shamelessly stolen from Pretty Woman, but it really worked well here. I had expected, that this arrangement will be the beginning of the end of the couple's marriage (like it would have been in a Hollywood production), but nice to see a movie for a change, where their love for each other is strong througout and never is their relationship put in question.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:07:45 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #443 on: July 30, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »
Blimey, Tom, you're really going for Bollywood at the moment, eh?  :laugh: Never liked the style myself. East is East is the closest I got... ;)

I did see a trailer once for Lagaan and it looked fantastic. Then they started singing and spoilt it (for me, anyway).

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 30, 2009, 06:36:15 PM »
Bollywood is currently a little change of scenery for me. I like their style. And as I like musicals, I do no mind the singing. Of course there are good songs and there are boring songs, but overall I like them. Especially if the songs surprise me (e.g. working in a movie, that I did not expect them to be suitable. Like in "Lakshya").
And also Bollywood movies are not all about arranged marriages and Indian weddings and such, like you think if you first hear about Bollywood movies. Especially in recent years the movies get more and more western-oriented. Going so far, that a lot of movies do not even take place in India at all anymore and are about young people who do not necessarily live by Indian traditions. Movies I reviewed recently have e.g. taken place in Manhattan, Autralia, London and even Switzerland.

I see that Lagaan gets a new DVD release this year in Germany. I will look out for it. By the way, it stars Aamir Khan, an actor I thought did a good job in "Dil Chahta Hai" (which I reviewed recently). He also stars in a movie which I have ordered. It's Bollywood take on the movie "Memento".

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:19 PM »

Title: The Waterboy
Year: 1999
Director: Frank Coraci
Rating: 12
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hungarian: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Croatian, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish

Stars:
Adam Sandler
Kathy Bates
Henry Winkler
Fairuza Balk
Jerry Reed

Plot:
Hollywood funnyman, Adam Sandler (The Wedding Singer), scores big laughs in a smash comedy hit where the laughs never run dry. Just an odd ball mama's boy who grew up on a farm, Bobby Boucher (Sandler) never wanted anything more than to quench the thirst of the dehydrated athletes who treat him like dirt. But when Coach Klein (Henry Winkler - Scream) makes the call that allows Bobby to finally stand up for himself, it unleashes a torrent of bottled-up frustration... and exposes a talent for defense that transfoms him from a meek "water distribution engineer" to the hardest hitter ever to roam the athletic playing field. Also featuring award-winning Kathy Bates (Titanic, Misery) and sexy Fairuza Balk (The Craft) in a hilarious cast of stars.

Awards:
AFI1998Nominated100 Years... 100 Laughs (2000)
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards1999WonFavorite Actor - ComedyAdam Sandler
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards1999NominatedFavorite Supporting Actor - ComedyHenry Winkler
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards1999WonFavorite Supporting Actress - ComedyKathy Bates
Golden Raspberry Awards1998NominatedWorst ActorAdam Sandler
MTV Movie Awards1999WonBest Comedic PerformanceAdam Sandler
MTV Movie Awards1999NominatedBest Male PerformanceAdam Sandler
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedFilm - Choice Comedy
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedFilm - Most Disgusting SceneHenry Winkler

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A fun little comedy. I haven't seen this movie for eight years. I still enjoy it. It is nothing special, but I like it anyway.
A little bit of trivia: In the German dub, instead of having his regular German voice, they employed "Richie", a "comedian" who was in the charts at the time with his song "Supa Richie".

He was known to purposely use very bad grammar, which they have used for the Bobby character here.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:06:59 PM by Tom »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 31, 2009, 09:45:54 AM »
Supa Richie... Was not aware of this. While the music is terrible I did get a chuckle from the twisted use of grammar.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 01, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »

Title: Hum Tum
Year: 2004
Director: Kunal Kohli
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 136 Min.

Stars:
Saif Ali Khan
Rani Mukerji
Kirron Kher
Rati Agnihotri
Rishi Kapoor

Plot:
Life isn't always like the movies. Love isn't always at first sight. Very often, a relationship develops slowly, and it takes many years between 'boy meets girl' and 'boy gets girl'!

Hum Tum is a refreshing look at the eternal battle of the sexes as it follows the lives of Karan (Saif Ali Khan) and Rhea (Rani Mukerji).

Karan is a cartoonist and his characters 'Hum' and 'Tum' reflect his perspective on the strange love-hate relationship between men and women. Rhea is sensitive, well bred and self-confident. She can give as good as she gets, and is not afraid of standing up to men.

Initially, the two have very little in common. But, as life would have it, their paths keep crossing, and over the course of a decade, their relationship evolves, from hate, to mutual respect, friendship and finally...

In a cinematic universe that offers simplistic scenarios to the complex relationship between men and women, Hum Tum is a novel look at the trials and tribulations of 'every man' and 'every woman' and their attempts to understand one another.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2005WonBest Actress AwardRani Mukerji
Filmfare Awards2005WonBest Comedian AwardSaif Ali Khan
Filmfare Awards2005WonBest Director AwardKunal Kohli
Filmfare Awards2004WonBest Female Playback AwardAlka Yagnik
Filmfare Awards2005NominatedBest Movie Award
IIFA Awards2005WonBest ActressRani Mukerji

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A great romantic comedy. I enjoyed it very much. Its plot is inspired by "When Harry Met Sally" in such, that also here the main character meet each others multiple times over the years by chance. Rani Mukherji was great as always and also Saif Ali Khan is growing on me.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:05:54 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 01, 2009, 09:33:35 AM »

Title: Ghajini
Year: 2007
Director: A.R. Murugadoss
Rating: 15
Length: 183 Min.
Subtitles: Arabic, Dutch, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Asin Thottumkal
Aamir Khan
Pradeep Rawat
Jiah Khan
Riyaz Khan

Plot:
Ghajini is the largest grossing Hindi film of all time. It is the only Indian film to earn one billion rupees at the box office across India and it grossed 4 million US dollars overseas within a week of its release.

A film about a man with only 15 minutes of memory recall. A man who was once suave, successful and had everything a man could desire. A man who had everything he loved snatched away from him, including his identity by brutal senseless violence. A human being who is forced to become something close to inhuman. A story about his wounded, savage quest for revenge. Driven by the pain of what he once was and had...

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2009WonBest Action AwardPeter Hein
Filmfare Awards2009NominatedBest Actor AwardAamir Khan
Filmfare Awards2009NominatedBest Actress AwardAsin Thottumkal
Filmfare Awards2009NominatedBest Director AwardA. R. Murugadoss
Filmfare Awards2009WonBest Female Debut AwardAsin Thottumkal
Filmfare Awards2009NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2009NominatedBest Music Director AwardA. R. Rahman

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The screenplay was written after the author first heard about Memento. After the screenplay was finished, he watched Memento, and he decided that his screenplay is different enough to Memento to warrant an own movie.
And he is right. Except the fact that the main protagonist has short-term memory loss because of an attack in which is fiancé was killed and he badly wounded, and the fact that he takes polaroids to remember stuff and tattoo his body, this movie takes a different take on the premise.
Like I had expected, it did not switch the scenes around like in Memento. Instead we only get flashbacks which tell the story before the accident. The present day shows us how he is going after the murder of his fiancé with a vengeance.
The flashback story is a fun romantic comedy type story of how he met his fiancé. And it shows the happenings which lead to the attack.
The present day is a much more violent movie than Memento. For some reason these two greatly different styles work very well together in this movie. Also Aamir Khan did a great job potraying both incarnations of his character.

Rating:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:18:37 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 01, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »

Title: Memento
Year: 2000
Director: Christopher Nolan
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 109 Min.
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, German

Stars:
Guy Pearce
Carrie-Anne Moss
Joe Pantoliano
Mark Boone Junior
Russ Fega

Plot:
From director Christopher Nolan, a unique and intriguing thriller that begins with the ultimate act of revenge and back tracks through time to reveal the shocking and provocative reasons behind it.

Leonard Shelby (Guy Pearce) remembers everything up to the night his wife was brutally raped and murdered. But since that tragedy, he has suffered from short-term memory loss and cannot recall any event, the places he has visited or anyone he has met just minutes before.

Determined to find out why his wife was killed, the only way he can store evidence is on scraps of paper, by taking Polaroid photos and tattooing vital clues on his body.

Throughout his investigation, he apperas to have the help of both bartender Natalie (Carrie-Ann Moss), who may have her own secret agenda and police officer Teddy (Joe Pantoliano) whose friendship is always suspect.

As Shelby's fractured memory tries to piece together a chilling jigsaw of deceit and betrayal in reverse, breathtaking twists and susprising turns rapidly occur in the most challenging, original and critically acclaimed thriller in years.

Awards:
Academy Award2001NominatedBest Film EditingDody Dorn
Academy Award2001NominatedBest Writing, Original ScreenplayChristopher Nolan (Screenplay); Jonathan Nolan (Story)
American Film Institute Awards2001WonEditor of the Year - MoviesDody Dorn
American Film Institute Awards2001WonMovie of the Year
American Film Institute Awards2001WonScreenwriter of the Year - MoviesChristopher Nolan
British Independent Film Awards2001WonBest Foreign Independent Film - English Language
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2002WonBest ScreenplayChristopher Nolan
Golden Globe2001NominatedScreenplayChristopher Nolan
Independent Spirit Awards2002NominatedBest CinematographyWally Pfister
Independent Spirit Awards2002WonBest DirectorChristopher Nolan
Independent Spirit Awards2002WonBest FeatureJennifer Todd; Suzanne Todd
Independent Spirit Awards2002WonBest ScreenplayChristopher Nolan
Independent Spirit Awards2002WonBest Supporting FemaleCarrie-Anne Moss
Online Film Critics Society Awards2002NominatedBest ActorGuy Pearce
Online Film Critics Society Awards2002WonBest Breakthrough FilmmakerChristopher Nolan
Online Film Critics Society Awards2002WonBest Picture
Online Film Critics Society Awards2002WonBest Screenplay, AdaptedChristopher Nolan
Saturn2001WonBest Action / Adventure / Thriller Film
Saturn2001NominatedBest ActorGuy Pearce
Saturn2002NominatedBest DVD Speical Edition Release

Extras:
"Memento Mori"
Chronological Cut
Commentary
Featurettes
Interviews
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
After watching Ghajini I thought it was time to watch Memento again. Its unique way of storytelling was just something really fun when I first watched it. It is still a great movie to rewatch.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:04:57 PM by Tom »