Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858454 times)

Najemikon

Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #315 on: May 04, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »
Who Wants To Live Forever is probably my favourite song of all-time. And if not that, The Show Must Go On is way up there too.

No, I don't think so. While I can watch the movie once in a while, I haven't listened to the soundtrack in ages. It was one of my earliest CDs but except for the main title (which is on Queen's Greatest Hits I) there's not much remarkable on it.

There is a track called Hero, which they performed at the beginning of the Queen On Fire Live at The Bowl DVD and it is short, but brilliant. I still don't think the album version is anything special, but look out for that version.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #316 on: May 04, 2009, 06:34:39 PM »
I have two Queen CDs:
"Greatest Hits Vol 1": I love almost all of the songs on this one. Especially "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Somebody to Love". One of my favorite scenes in "Ella Enchanted" is, where Anne Hathaway is forced into singing "Somebody to Love".

"A Kind of Magic": This one is essentially a Highlander soundtrack. My favorites on this one are "Who Wants To Live Forever" and "Princes of the Universe" (the opening theme of the Highlander TV series)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 04, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
Is Flash Gordon (not Flesh Gordon :devil:; btw, didn't Vibrocount work on that...?)
Yes, he was responsible for the prop... He had worked on A Boy and his Dog too...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 05, 2009, 06:22:54 AM »
Who Wants To Live Forever is probably my favourite song of all-time. And if not that, The Show Must Go On is way up there too.
:thumbup:

The Show Must Go On regularly send shivers down my spine...

No, I don't think so. While I can watch the movie once in a while, I haven't listened to the soundtrack in ages. It was one of my earliest CDs but except for the main title (which is on Queen's Greatest Hits I) there's not much remarkable on it.

There is a track called Hero, which they performed at the beginning of the Queen On Fire Live at The Bowl DVD and it is short, but brilliant. I still don't think the album version is anything special, but look out for that version.
Well, I don't have it, but I remember the soundtrack. Unfortunately they went much too far with the use of film dialogue on that one. Occasional use between songs is cool (Tarantino does it to great effect) but here you almost couldn't here the music anymore. And some of those songs had great potential...

Just to be clear, I meant the movie, not the soundtrack CD...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 05, 2009, 10:00:18 PM »

Title: Alvin and The Chipmunks
Year: 2007
Director: Tim Hill
Rating: U
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: DTS HD Master Audio, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: DTS 5.1, Dutch: Dolby Digital 5.1, Norwegian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Swedish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Danish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Finnish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Jason Lee
David Cross
Cameron Richardson
Jane Lynch
Justin Long

Plot:
ALVIN AND THE CHIMPMUNKS is a hilarious adventure packed with toe-tapping tunes and fur-flying fun! When struggling songwrither (Jason Lee) opens his home to a talented trio of chipmunks named Alvin, Simon and Theodore, they become overnight music sensations. But a greedy record producer (David Gross) intends to exploit the "boys" and send them on grueling concert tour just to line his own pockets. Now Dave must use a little human ingenuity - and a lot of 'munk mischief' - to get his family back before it's too late!

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I like this movie. I especially enjoyed the first hour (the last half hour was not as good). These three guys just bring a smile to my face. I think this was a good transfer to the big screen and into a live-action movie (far better than what the Garfield movie turned out to be). I can recommend this one as a fun family movie.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2009, 10:16:54 PM »

The Show Must Go On regularly send shivers down my spine...

Well, I don't have it, but I remember the soundtrack. Unfortunately they went much too far with the use of film dialogue on that one. Occasional use between songs is cool (Tarantino does it to great effect) but here you almost couldn't here the music anymore. And some of those songs had great potential...

Just to be clear, I meant the movie, not the soundtrack CD...

You should hear "The Amazing Spider-Man" by MC-Spy-D and Friends...

Actually, it's Brian May. :laugh: He did it for a BBC radio series I believe. From before Raimi days of course, but it's pretty funny and featured cameos from other Marvel universe characters.

Spider-Man

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »

Title: Son of Rambow
Year: 2007
Director: Garth Jennings
Rating: 12
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: DTS HD Master Audio, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Neil Dudgeon
Bill Milner
Jessica Stevenson
Anna Wing
Will Poulter

Plot:
A long English summer in the early '80s and two boys are about to form an unlikely friendship. Will Proudfoot has been brought up in a strictly religious household, forbidden to watch TV or listen to music. But after Lee Carter, the school trouble-maker, blows Will's mind with a pirate copy of Rambo: First Blood, Will's easily persuaded to act in Lee's home made movie sequel. Armed only with a camera "borrowed" from Lee's brother and their limitless imagination, the pair plot stunt after stunt, dodging teachers and family all the way, as they do whatever it takes to finish their masterpiece in time to enter it in the Screen Test competition.

Directed by Garth Jennings (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), SON OF RAMBOW is a heart-warming nostalgic comedy about two boys with a big video camera and even bigger ambitions.

Extras:
Aron: Part I
Commentary
Featurettes
Interviews
Scene Access
Trailers
U.S. Competition Winner Footage

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this movie. The child actors are very good in this film. Especially the one who plays Carter (the left one on the cover). He has monologues which he delivers better than most of the adult actors would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsAChn35HSo

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 09, 2009, 01:14:18 PM »

Title: The Incredibles
Year: 2004
Director: Brad Bird
Rating: G
Length: 115 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.39
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround EX, French: Dolby Digital Surround EX, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Craig T. Nelson
Holly Hunter
Samuel L. Jackson
Jason Lee
Dominique Louis

Plot:
From the Academy Award® winning creators of 'Finding Nemo' comes the action-packed animated adventure about the mundane and incredible lives of a house full of superheroes.

Bob Parr and his wife Helen used to be among the world's greatest crime fighters, saving lives and battling evil on a daily basis. Fifteen years later, they have been forced to adopt civilian identities and retreat to the suburbs where they live "normal" lives with their three kids, Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack. Itching to get back into action, Bob gets his chance when a mysterious communication summons him to a remote island for a top secret assignment. He soon discovers that it will take a super family effort to rescue the world from total destruction.

Exploding with fun and featuring an all-new animated short film, this spectacular 2-disc collector's edition DVD is high-flying entertainment for everyone. "It's James Bond, Indiana Jones, and the X-Men all rolled into one." - Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Extras:
2 Short Films
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
THX certified
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I haven't watched this movie for years, so I almost forgot how great it is! This is easily one of the best Superhero movies! Also the animation is still holds up really well. Also fun are the many cinematographical allusions to movies like Raiders of the Lost Arc and the original Star Wars trilogy.
For me, The Incredibles were always the better Fantasic Four.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #323 on: May 09, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »

Title: The Incredibles

For me, The Incredibles were always the better Fantasic Four.

Absolutely amazing movie. First time Pixar demonstrated they could mix it up a little bit. Better than Fantastic Four? True, but also, I always felt this was a lighter version of the Watchmen story. I haven't seen that film yet, but purely from a cinema perspective, it has to be exceptional to beat this...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #324 on: May 09, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »
Tom & Jon: Have you watched the additional baby scene on the second disc? I laughed my ass off when I saw that.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 09, 2009, 03:36:49 PM »
Tom & Jon: Have you watched the additional baby scene on the second disc? I laughed my ass off when I saw that.

Of course ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 09, 2009, 04:10:21 PM »

Title: Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Year: 2005
Director: Doug Liman
Rating: PG-13
Length: 120 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: DTS 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Brad Pitt
Angelina Jolie
Vince Vaughn
Adam Brody
Kerry Washington

Plot:
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie smolder in this sizzling action film from the director of The Bourne Identity. After five (or six) years of vanilla-wedded bliss, ordinary suburbanites John and Jane Smith (Pitt and Jolie) are stuck in a rut the size of the Grand Canyon—until the truth comes out! Unbeknownst to each other, they are both coolly lethal, highly paid assassins working for rival organizations. And when they discover they're each other's next target, their secret lives collide in a fun, explosive mix of wicked comedy, pent-up passion, nonstop action and high-tech weaponry that gives an all-new meaning to "Till death do us part!"

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I always enjoyed this movie. I like the comedic touch during the fights between Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

There was a short-lived Mr. & Mrs. Smith TV series in the 90s with Scott Bakula and Maria Bello. I hope there will be a DVD release of it some time. Though it has not much in common with this movie, I did enjoy it, when it was on German television at the time.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #327 on: May 09, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »

Of course ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 13, 2009, 11:51:59 PM »

Title: While You Were Sleeping
Year: 1995
Director: Jon Turteltaub
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, German: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Croatian, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock
Bill Pullman
Peter Gallagher
Peter Boyle
Jack Warden

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
One of my favorite Sandra Bullock movies and a great romantic comedy. She is just adorable in it!
One of my favorite scenes is at the end where she confesses to Peter's family that she is not his fiancée. Sandra Bullock was really great in this scene.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 15, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »
I watched that one not too long ago for the very first time... I was surprised how much I really did enjoy it. Great movie!  :)
Pete