Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858578 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2009, 07:11:28 AM »

My Thoughts:
A fun Family style retelling of the first Star Wars movie, which likes to poke fun at the plot holes of the movie. I was surprised about the quality of the animated space scenes. And that they got to use the John Williams score throughout.
And at the end they make a great allusion to the Robot Chicken special, which is co-created and co-produced by Seth Green, the voice of Chris. So I think it would be fitting when I follow up with the Robot Chicken special now.

Rating:

Do you consider this a movie or a tv show episode?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2009, 09:25:04 AM »
Give the nature of the program and the length I consider it an extended TV episode.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2009, 09:51:03 AM »
Do you consider this a movie or a tv show episode?

Funny you are asking. I couldn't really make up my mind how to handle it. On the one hand, I have moved the credits to my TV data and entered it as the first episode of the sixth season were it belongs and have linked the episode to this DVD release. I also have entered my "watched" event at the episode profile rather than the DVD profile. It also will show up in my watched episodes list at the end of the month.
But on the other hand, I have entered my review at the DVD profile and have used my movie review template rather than my episode review template.

Essentially it is a double-length episode, but it is different enough from a regular Family Guy episode, that it stands rather well as a little stand-alone movie. They didn't even use the infamous non-sequitur cutaways Family Guy is usually known for.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:56:39 AM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2009, 09:58:31 AM »

Title: Run Fat Boy Run
Year: 2007
Director: David Schwimmer
Rating: 15
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: DTS HD HR, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Simon Pegg
Thandie Newton
Hank Azaria
Dylan Moran
Harish Patel

Plot:
Five years ago Dennis (Simon Pegg) was at the altar, about to marry Libby (Thandie Newton) his pregnant fiancée. He got cold feet and ran for the hills and he’s been going in circles ever since. When Dennis discovers Libby’s hooked up with high-flying-go-getter Whit (Hank Azaria) he realises that it’s now or never. He enters a marathon to show he's more than a quitter, but then finds out just how much sweat, strain and tears it takes to change. Nobody gives him a chance but Dennis knows this is his only hope to be more than a running joke...

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Outtakes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A rather typical comedy. Guys tries to win back girl but she has now another boyfriend who seems to be perfect. But I enjoyed it.
Hank Azaria is type-cast as the new boyfriend who seems perfect at first and reveals his true nature towards the end.
There is a nice cameo by David Walliams, who plays a character which reminds of Sebastian from "Little Britain" without the hairstyle.

Rating:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:46:05 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 07, 2009, 02:48:40 PM »

Title: GTO: Special
Year: 1999
Rating: NR
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: Japanese: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, English, Other

My Thoughts:
This is a TV movie special set after the TV series I reviewed previously. Whereas the TV series is a great example of how to do a good TV live-action adaption of a manga, this TV movie falls short.
Most of the characters from the TV show only have minor guest appearances. Instead Onizuka is sent to another school to subsitute and of course has new students to interact with. But these are only cheap rip-offs of the great cast of the TV show.
On the positive side, you get to see all the characters of the TV show again. But it would have been considerably better, if they would focused more on these.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 07, 2009, 10:56:57 PM »

Title: Rocky II
Year: 1979
Director: Sylvester Stallone
Rating: PG
Length: 114 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English, Hindi

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Talia Shire
Burt Young
Carl Weathers
Burgess Meredith

Plot:
It's the rematch of the century as Rocky Balboa takes on Apollo Creed in this powerful follow-up to one of the most acclaimed movies in film history.

After club fighter Rocky Balboa (Stallone) goes the distance with the world heavyweight champion, boxing fans clamour for a rematch. But Rocky, having sustained massive injuries in the bout, announces his retirement. Though he tries to make a new life for himself, Rocky realizes that he can't escape his true calling. The ring beckons once more, and the "Italian Stallion" must prepare for the fight of his life.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I liked this sequel about the same as the first Rocky, if not slightly more. I have not seen many boxing matches, but the ones I have seen, the fighters always hide their faces behind their gloved fists. But in the Rocky movies, they never have their hands in such a defense position and are constantly pummelling each other's faces. Did I just watch the wrong real-world fights or is it heavy-weight class thing?

Rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #261 on: March 07, 2009, 11:17:59 PM »
I liked this sequel about the same as the first Rocky, if not slightly more. I have not seen many boxing matches, but the ones I have seen, the fighters always hide their faces behind their gloved fists. But in the Rocky movies, they never have their hands in such a defense position and are constantly pummelling each other's faces. Did I just watch the wrong real-world fights or is it heavy-weight class thing?
Let's just say in the real world it's not a good idea to deflect the opponent's punches with your face instead of your gloved fists. ;)

If a real boxer reveals his face to let's say one of the Klitschkos he does this two, maybe three times but then he's going down and he stays down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe5vuaAA2rQ
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:25:34 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2009, 06:36:03 PM »

Title: Rocky III
Year: 1982
Length: 96 Min.

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Talia Shire
Burt Young
Carl Weathers
Burgess Meredith

Plot:
Rocky battles his most powerful adversary yet - the ferocious Clubber Lang (Mr. T.) in this hard-hitting actioner that comes out swinging with adventure, humor and emotionally charged human drama. For what may be the most exciting and fast-paced film in the series, Sylvester Stallone writes, directs and stars with explosive passion and intensity.

As Rocky Balboa (Stallone) fights his way into the hearts of millions, life couldn't be better. He scores ten consecutive wins, lands lucrative endorsement contracts, and becomes famous throughout the world. But when Clubber Lang K.O.s Rocky in a humiliating defeat, it becomes apparent that the "Italian Stallion" has lost his edge. Considering hanging up his gloves, Rocky receives encouragement from an unlikely ally: his old nemesis, Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers). With Creed's help, Rocky strives to regain the "eye of the tiger" before confronting Lang in a grueling rematch for the world heavyweight championship.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one more than the first two. Probably because it plays more for fun. The match at the beginning (Rocky vs. Hulk Hogan) set the tone for me. ("Why is he being carried?" - "He isn't." :laugh:) And then we have Mr. T as the big advisary in this one :)
I didn't know before watching these movies, that the iconic "The Eyes of the Tiger" only appears in the third movie for the first time.
I expect (of what I had heard so far about these movies), that it is going downhill from now on, with the fifth movie the absolute rock bottom.

Rating:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 08, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
I expect (of what I had heard so far about these movies), that it is going downhill from now on, with the fifth movie the absolute rock bottom.
I like Rocky V, it's the only one that I've seen in a movie theatre. Sure it's a different one than the others, but Rocky is retired so the story seem ok to me. At least this isn't an idiotic "USA! USA! We are the best in the world!" like the ridiculous Rocky IV.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »
I have been a boxing fan for decades. Off the top of my head the only fighter I can think of that kept his hands low was Ali. He seldom needed to protect his face Ali, he was too fast for most of his opponents.

Najemikon

« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »
Does Jake La Motta (Raging Bull) count? He kept his hands pretty low when he let Sugar Ray pummel him... :P

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 08, 2009, 09:22:09 PM »

Title: Rocky IV
Year: 1985
Length: 98 Min.

Stars:
Stu Nathan
Sylvester Stallone
Talia Shire
Burt Young
Carl Weathers

Plot:
East meets West when Rocky takes on a vicious Soviet fighter who literally killed his last opponent! Sylvester Stallone writes, directs and stars in this war between nations in which the only battle is fought in a boxing ring. Rocky (Stallone) proudly holds the world heavyweight championship, but a new challenger has stepped forward: Drago (Dolph Lundgren), a six-foot six-inch, 240-pound fighter who has the backing of the Soviet Union. This time, Rocky's training regimen takes him to icy Siberia, where he prepares for a globally-televised match in the heart of Moscow. But nothing can truly prepare him for what he's about to face - a powerfully charged fight to the finish in which he must defend not only himself, but also the honour of his country!

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Now it's getting ridiculous. It begins with this stupid robot Rocky has bought. And the first fight with Drago, I felt like Drago did: "WTF is going on? Are the Americans crazy? Stupid Las Vegas "America is great" show".
And of course in American sports, world equal US. See the newspaper article they were showing "Russians invade US sports". Is the heavy-weight champion of the world restricted to the US?
And the end: Rocky wins over the all-Russion crowd? Huh?! And morale hitten over our heads with the hammer: "When I can change and you can change, everybody can change!"
Even the fight was not exciting. In the other movies, I was never 100% sure, if Rocky was actually going to win. But in this one I knew from the beginning, that they would not let Rocky loose against the Russian.

I must admit, I was on He-Mans side ;)

Rating:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 09:54:51 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 09, 2009, 09:11:24 PM »

Title: Rocky V
Year: 1990
Director: John G. Avildsen
Length: 100 Min.

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Talia Shire
Burt Young
Sage Stallone
Burgess Meredith

Plot:
The "Italian Stallion" rediscovers his roots in this exciting, thrill-packed drama that reunites Sylvester Stallone with the Oscar®-winning director of the original Rocky.

Upon returning home from his latest triumph, Rocky (Stallone) learns that all of his money has been lose by an unscrupulous financial advisor. To make matters worse, his fight-related injuries force his retirement from the ring. So Rocky, his wife Adrian (Talia Shire) and his son Rocky Jr. (Sage Stallone) move to their old low-rent neighborhood in South Philadelphia. There, the fighter must resolve the deep-rooted resentment held by his son, a bitterness that grows when Rocky trains Tommy Gunn, a young boxer who soon rises to national prominence. When Tommy turns against his mentor and publicly taunts him, Rocky knows he must fight once more.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I was going into it expecting a disappointing movie, but it really surprised me. I really liked it! I think it's the perfect conclusion to the Rocky series. Now I tread "Rocky Balboa", which Sylvester Stallone felt he had to make to make good on a proper ending. In my opinion, Rocky V had a very fitting ending.
Probably the reason that Rocky V is not well-liked is, that Rocky has not a single fight in the ring in this one.
But I liked how the story came full circle. Rocky now back from where he started in Rocky I. Except now he has a loving family. It never felt real to me, that Rocky was living this huge life-style in Rocky 3+4.

For me the fourth installment was the odd-one out. It just didn't fit with the rest of this series.
What I liked about these five movies is, that I felt they were telling one story. Like these were always planned as five movies instead of one.

Just looked at IMDb: A rating of 4.3? I really cannot believe it. Did I watch another movie than the rest of the world?

Rating:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:48:35 PM by Tom »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 09, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »
Happy to see that I ain't the only one to like Rocky 5 :)
For me the best Rocky with the first one.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 10, 2009, 08:57:46 PM »

Title: Rocky Balboa
Year: 2006
Rating: 12
Length: 98 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone
Burt Young
Antonio Tarver
Geraldine Hughes
Milo Ventimiglia

Plot:
'30 years after the clang of the first bell, Rocky Balboa dons his gloves for his final fight...'
Armed with a highly credible, heart-wrenching story, Sylvester Stallone leaps back in to the ring in this knockout final chapter as one of the most iconic characters in the history of motion pictures!
Since retiring, Rocky reminisces about his glory days for the locals at his Philly diner, Adrian's. But his quiet world is shattered when the current reigning champion (Antonio Tarver) loses to a virtual, in-his prime Balboa in a computer-simulated match and challenges the retired Italian Stallion to the real thing! Never one to back down, Rocky does the unthinkable and agrees to the fight of his life... pushing himself to the breaking point to go the distance one last time.

Extras:
Alternate Ending
Commentary
Featurettes
Outtakes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
As I said, I felt that Rocky V was a great conclusion to the series. It wouldn't have needed a sixth part.
I am glad that this sixth movie works great as a well-done reunion kind of movie.
And I am surprised that the fight works reasonably well, which is surprising what with 60 year old Rocky fighting against the current undefeated world champion.
Rocky's son is played by Milo Ventimiglia (Peter from Heroes), which I never got quite used to. I am connecting him too much with his role in Heroes.
What surprised me is, that Rocky's wife died a few years ago. I really expected her in the movie as the actress is listed in the cast credits.

Rating: