Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 857266 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: My random reviews
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2008, 10:44:30 PM »

Title: Jurassic Park
Year: 1993
Director: Steven Spielberg
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 121 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , English: Dolby Digital Surround , German: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Hungarian: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, English, Finnish, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Sam Neill
Laura Dern
Jeff Goldblum
Richard Attenborough
Bob Peck

Extras:
Dinosaurier Enzyklopädie
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
It has been a few years since I last saw this movie. I didn't even remember, that Samual L. Jackson was in it.
This movie is still fun to watch, even if the then new technology has been copied and improved many times over since then. It may be, because even though it was revolutionary in regards of CGI, they still used a lot of great and proven animatronics.

Rating:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:48:26 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2008, 12:05:41 AM »
Jurassic Park will stand the test of time in small way thanks to the late great Stan Winston. :bow:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2008, 03:49:31 PM »
I've seen Jurassic Park at the theater when it was release here, release day midnight show. It works great on the big screen, but try to rewatch it on VHS later and it wasn't the same at all. Glad to have seen it on a theatre screen, because this movie isn't that great on a tv screen and the effects doesn't look great on this screen too.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2008, 09:22:01 PM »

Title: Hot Fuzz
Year: 2007
Director: Edgar Wright
Rating: 15
Length: 116 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX , Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround , Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround , Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround , Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, Trivia

Stars:
Simon Pegg
Martin Freeman
Bill Nighy
Robert Popper
Joe Cornish

Plot:
When top London cop, PC Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg), is reassigned to the quiet town of Sandford, he struggles with his seemingly crime-free world... and oafish partner Danny (Nick Frost). When several grisly accidents rock the village, it's not long before Danny's dreams of explosive, high-octane, car-chasing, gun fighting, all-out action become reality! It's time for these small-town cops to hand out big-city justice!

Extras:
Commentary
'Dead Right': Edgar Wright's First Cop Movie
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
THX certified
Trailers
Trivia Track

My Thoughts:
I was a little disappointed with this movie the first time around. But this time, I really enjoyed it. A lot of really great understated comedic scenes in this one :)
And the appearence of Timothy Dalton wants to make me watch "Looney Toons: Back in Action" again.

Rating:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:48:42 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »
I love Hot Fuzz! "F**k off Grasshopper" :hysterical:

For ages I was trying to place the theme that's used very sparingly, and I think it's a rocked-up version of Yojimbo...  :stars:

This trailer is crap for such a sodding fantastic film, but listen at the 2.00 mark:
Yojimbo

And here, just shy of 30 seconds in? It's brief, but I think its there amongst several other classic cues. The film is made by the ultimate movie geeks, so a link from Yojimbo, to Fistful of Dollars wouldn't be missed... :whistle:
Hot Fuzz soundtrack

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2008, 12:22:20 AM »

Title: Looney Tunes: Back in Action
Year: 2003
Director: Joe Dante
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , German: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, German

Stars:
Brendan Fraser
Jenna Elfman
Steve Martin
Timothy Dalton
Heather Locklear

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Short Film: "Whizzard of Ow"
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
As I said, after watching Timothy Dalton in Hot Fuzz I had the urge to watch this movie, where he parodies his James Bond role.
Also otherwise this movie is quite enjoyable. Steve Martin is almost unrecognizable in his role as the villain of this movie.
This movie is a lot better than Space Jam. The first half of the movie is full of funny movie, Looney Tunes and WB references. The second half looses a bit, but it is still enjoyable.

Rating:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:48:54 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »

Title: To Heart: Complete Collection
Year: 2008
Rating: NR
Length: 325 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo , Japanese: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Plot:
For as long as Akari can remember, she and Hiroyuki have always been friends. But with time, everything changes, and her feelings have turned into something more. As a new semester of high school begins, will the two childhood friends come closer together or drift further apart? Join Hiroyuki, Akari and all their friends - the bubbly Shiho, the quiet Serika, the lovely Kotone, and more - in this heartwarming tale of love, relationships and friendship!

Extras:
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is a nice slow-paced high school slice of live anime series about a girl and a boy who have known each other since kindergarten and are now entering high school together. Maybe a little too nice in terms of character interaction. Almost no conflict there.
But it provides some fun guest character appearances. For example the girl who talks to low that almost nobody understands her. Or the girl who can the tragic future events of people close to her. And of course the human-like robot maid, who is enrolled as a regular student as a test by her creators :laugh:

Rating:

And now short reviews about the last two episodes of the series. Both are set during christmas time and thus qualify for the christmas marathon ;)

12. The Season of Emotions (1999-06-17)
Writer: AQUAPLUS (Original Material By), Shinzo Hujita (Screenwriter)
Director: Naohito Takahashi
Cast: Ayako Kawasumi (Akari Kamigishi (voice)), Kazuya Ichijo (Hiroyuki Fujita (voice)), Chieko Higuchi (Shiho Nagaoka (voice)), Souichiro Hoshi (Masashi Sato (voice)), Rumi Kasahara (Lemmy Miyauchi (voice)), Eriko Fujimaki (Sayuri (voice)), Takayuki Arai (Imai (voice)), Masaya Takatsuka (Clerk (voice)), Akiko Kimura (Student (voice)), Yui Horie (Student (voice)), Mie Sonozaki (Student (voice)), Harunori Miyata (Student (voice))

This episode is on the same level as the rest of this series. Here the main characters start to organize a christmas party.
This episode takes focus on Shiho's interest in Hiroyuki. Probably to build up to a love triangle to resolve for the next episode which is the series finale. But I have the feeling, that not much will get resolved, as it would not match the slow pace of the rest of the series. Also there already exists a follow-up series, which probably needs the same starting ground. But I will see soon, if that is the case.

13. On a Day of Snow (1999-06-24)
Writer: AQUAPLUS (Original Material By), Hiroshi Yamaguchi (Screenwriter)
Director: Naohito Takahashi
Cast: Ayako Kawasumi (Akari Kamigishi (voice)), Kazuya Ichijo (Hiroyuki Fujita (voice)), Chieko Higuchi (Shiho Nagaoka (voice)), Souichiro Hoshi (Masashi Sato (voice)), Aya Hisakawa (Tomoko Hoshina (voice)), Mayumi Iizuka (Aoi Matsubara (voice)), Rumi Kasahara (Lemmy Miyauchi (voice)), Kyoko Hikami (Kotone Himekawa (voice)), Ikue Oya (Rio Hinayama (voice)), Yui Horie (Multi (voice)), Hironori Miyata (Principal (voice)), Chizuko Hoshino (Akari's Mom (voice)), Masaya Takatsuka (Clerk (voice)), Eriko Fujimaki (PE Teacher (voice)), Mie Sonozaki (Announcer (voice)), Harunori Miyata (Student (voice)), Takayuki Arai (Student (voice))

Nothing really gets resolved. Shiho takes a step back to let Akari have a go at Hiroyuki. Akari even gave Hiro a scarf which is almost bold in this series :laugh:
But beside enjoying a snow fall together at the end of the series, it is not really clear if they end up together or not. But I expected this outcome already.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:16:00 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
Blackadder's Christmas Carol ()
Writer: Richard Curtis (Writer), Ben Elton (Writer)
Director: Richard Boden
Cast: Rowan Atkinson (Blackadders), Tony Robinson (Baldricks), Miranda Richardson (Queen Elizabeth I/Asphyxia XIX), Stephen Fry (Lord Melchett/Frondo), Hugh Laurie (Prince Regent/Pigmont), Robbie Coltrane (Spirit of Christmas), Miriam Margolyes (Queen Victoria), Jim Broadbent (Prince Albert), Patsy Byrne (Nursie/Bernard), Denis Lill (Beadle), Pauline Melville (Mrs Scratchit), Philip Pope (Lord Nelson), Nicola Bryant (Millicent), Ramsay Gilderdale (Ralph), David Barber (Enormous Orphan), Erkan Mustafa (Enormous Orphan), David Nunn (Enormous Orphan)

For the christmas marathon:
In this twist on the Christmas Carol tale, a good-hearted descendant of Blackadder learns the advantages of being evil by seeing flashbacks of his ancenstors. Through these we get to meet the characters of Blackadder 2 and 3.
Although not as good as the episodes of the series itself, it is quite entertaining.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »

Title: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Year: 1975
Director: Jim Sharman
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.66
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround , Other: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German

Stars:
Tim Curry
Susan Sarandon
Barry Bostwick
Richard O'Brien
Patricia Quinn

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Karaoke
Multi-View Kinoerlebnis
Music Videos
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
One of my all-time favorite musicals even if it is a little ourageous. The B-movie parody style makes this movie time-less.
I never get tired hearing the movie's soundtrack. I first came to attention of this musical, as it was one of my mother's favorite movies. She always had recommended to me to watch it. I first saw it when I was about 12 and even then I enjoyed the music.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »

Title: Armageddon
Year: 1998
Director: Michael Bay
Length: 145 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , German: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Croatian, Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Bruce Willis
Billy Bob Thornton
Ben Affleck
Liv Tyler
Will Patton

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Even though it is full of scientific inaccuracies (too many even for a Hollywood movie), it is still great fun to watch.
I am surprised, that Steve Buscemi's character survived. Probably because it isn't a Coen movie :laugh:

Rating:

I am doing really poor on the christmas theme marathon so far :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2008, 09:28:03 PM »

Title: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Year: 1997
Director: Steven Spielberg
Length: 123 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , English: Dolby Digital Surround , German: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Hungarian: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, English, Finnish, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Jeff Goldblum
Julianne Moore
Pete Postlethwaite
Arliss Howard
Richard Attenborough

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Dinosaurier Enzyklopädie
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A fun sequel. Although the action/visual effects are great, there is something missing in the movie. I have the feeling that it tries to be more than it really is.
The last 15 minutes makes me want to revisit the American Godzilla movie soon.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2008, 12:00:50 AM »

Is it possible to sit through that movie more than once? :tease:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2008, 12:11:56 AM »

Is it possible to sit through that movie more than once? :tease:

I don't know. I only have seen it once 7 years ago. I remember it being more fun than I had expected.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »

Title: Jurassic Park III
Year: 2001
Director: Joe Johnston
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX , German: Dolby Digital Surround EX , German: DTS ES (Matrixed) , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German, Hebrew

Stars:
Sam Neill
William H. Macy
Téa Leoni
Alessandro Nivola
Trevor Morgan

Extras:
Commentary
Dinosaurier-Profile
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is a fun straight-forward movie about dinosaurs chasing humans. Don't expect more and you can have fun with it. Also, unlike part two, it is not overlong.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »

Title: Godzilla
Year: 1998
Director: Roland Emmerich
Rating: PG
Length: 133 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround , English: Dolby Digital 5.1 , Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo , German: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Commentary, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Matthew Broderick
Jean Reno
Maria Pitillo
Hank Azaria
Kevin Dunn

Plot:
In the steamy jungles of the South Pacific, an enormous creature is created by nuclear fallout. Lost for decades, the power and the fury of the world's largest monster are about to be unleashed. He's the most spectacular creature in the cinematic history, with a foot the size of a bus, a body as tall as London's Big Ben and the strength and agility the likes of which the world has never seen. The creators of 'Independence Day' are proud to unleash the ultimate in monster movies, 'Godzilla', starring Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno and Hank Azaria. It's true what they say SIZE DOES MATTER

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I do not know why this movie has such a bad rep. It is a fine movie about a monster trashing New York City. Well done special effects and audio effects.
I think it is funny how the American army destroys more of New York than the creature does :laugh: and they need the help of the French to save the day (maybe a reason it is not liked by American audiences ;) )

I think a big reason for the poor reviews about this movie is, that it was too much hyped beforehand (as a matter of fact I did not watch this movie in the theater because of this). Another reason may be, that the cinema goers had enough about this kind of movie, because it was yet another movie about a big dinosaur -like creature after already two Jurassic Parks.

A nice cast of well-known actors (at least to some) is also present: Jean Reno, Matthew Broderick. Three Simpsons cast members (Harry Shearer, Hank Azaria and Nancy Cartwright).

The only thing which didn't quite fit is the "nest" of mini-Godzillas. The scene in the Madison Square Garden feels like a rehash of Jurassic Park.

Rating:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:09:22 PM by Tom »