Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 864918 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #960 on: August 04, 2011, 06:21:01 AM »
I always have to laugh at the trailer when Ellen Page apparently gets carried away and kills a baddy, which was not Wilson's intention :laugh: I'll place this on my Wish List.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #961 on: August 05, 2011, 11:29:35 PM »
     Æon Flux (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Director:Karyn Kusama
Writing:Phil Hay (Writer), Matt Manfredi (Writer), Peter Chung (Original Characters By)
Length:93 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital EX 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1)
Subtitles:Commentary, English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Charlize Theron as Aeon Flux
Marton Csokas as Trevor Goodchild
Jonny Lee Miller as Oren Goodchild
Sophie Okonedo as Sithandra
Frances McDormand as Handler

Plot:
Academy Award®-winner* Charlize Theron stars as Aeon Flux, the underground operative fighting totalitarian rule in 25th-century Earth's last living city.

Aeon is the rebels' best hope of overthrowing the oppressively sterile, "perfect" society. But while on assignment to gun down the government's leader, Aeon uncovers a web of startling secrets that could completely change the world's future in this gripping sci-fi action thriller based on the ground-breaking MTV animated series.
*Actress in leading role, Monster, 2003

Awards:
Nominated:
Scream Awards (2006)  Best Sci-Fi Movie

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie takes itself much too seriously. Didn't help that it was rather boring. I didn't expect much and it started out like it could be interesting to watch. But overall not really worth it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 06, 2011, 01:38:02 PM »
     Superman: Doomsday (2007/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Bruce Timm, Lauren Montgomery, Brandon Vietti
Writing:Jerry Siegel (Original Characters By), Joe Shuster (Original Characters By), Duane Capizzi (Original Material By), Bruce Timm (Original Material By), Duane Capizzi (Screenwriter)
Length:78 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Adam Baldwin as Superman (voice)
Anne Heche as Lois Lane (voice)
James Marsters as Lex Luthor (voice)
John DiMaggio as Toyman (voice)
Tom Kenny as The Robot (voice)

Plot:
When Lexcorp accidentally unearths the intergalactic serial killer Doomsday, Superman battles the creature head-on in the fight of his life...literally. The world collectively mourns its fallen hero; humanity realizes it will never feel truly safe again. Superman's enemies rejoice – all but Lex Luthor, who grieves the loss in his own demented manner, setting off a chilling chain of events that even he couldn't have foreseen.

Inspired by the best-selling graphic novel of all time, DC Comics' The Death of Superman, this feature-length animated adventure boasts exciting action sequences that rival anything you've ever seen starring the Man of Steel.™

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Game
  • Interviews
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A very good Superman movie. I enjoyed it very much. It has been awhile since I saw it, and I didn't remember many details anymore. So it was like a watching a new movie. I liked the voice acting, although I had a hard time not seeing Adam Baldwin and James Masters' faces when listing to Superman and Luthor.
This movie is surprisingly violent.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 06, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »
     Jumper (2008/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Doug Liman
Writing:Steven Gould (Original Material By), David S. Goyer (Screenwriter), Jim Uhls (Screenwriter), Simon Kinberg (Screenwriter)
Length:88 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Italian: DTS 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Commentary, Danish, English, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Hayden Christensen as David Rice
Jamie Bell as Griffin
Rachel Bilson as Millie
Diane Lane as Mary Rice
Samuel L. Jackson as Roland

Plot:
From the director of The Bourne Identity and Mr. & Mrs. Smith comes Jumper - a high-powered shot of adrenaline that stretches the very limits of imagination. David Rice (Hayden Christiansen) is a young man who knows no boundaries - a Jumper, born with the uncanny ability to teleport instantly to any place on Earth. When he discovers others like himself, David is thrust into a dangerous and bloodthirsty war while being hunted by a sinister and determined group of zealots who have sworn to destroy all Jumpers. Now, David's extraordinary gift may be his only hope of survival! With an all star cast including Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction), Rachel Bilson (The O.C.) and Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot) Jumper is the action hit of the year.

Awards:
Won:
ASCAP Awards (2009)  Top Box Office Films (John Powell)
Teen Choice Awards (2008)  Choice Movie Actress: Action Adventure (Rachel Bilson)
Nominated:
MTV Movie Awards (2008)  Best Fight (Hayden Christensen, Jamie Bell)
Saturn (2008)  Best Music (John Powell)
Saturn (2008)  Best Science Fiction Film
Teen Choice Awards (2008)  Choice Movie Villian (Samual L. Jackson)

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • D-Box
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Graphic Novel
  • Picture-in-picture
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I didn't expect much because of the negative reviews it got, but I still was curious because of the premise. And I am glad that I took the chance. I really liked the movie. I thought it was executed well. And I saw that a sequel is planned. I am glad, because the story hinted at much potential for a sequel.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 07, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »
     A Knight's Tale (2001/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Brian Helgeland
Writing:Brian Helgeland (Writer)
Length:132 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: PCM 5.1
Subtitles:Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Heath Ledger as William
Rufus Sewell as Count Adhemar
Shannyn Sossamon as Jocelyn
Paul Bettany as Chaucer
Laura Fraser as Kate

Plot:
A KNIGHT'S TALE is the rousing story of lowborn William Thatcher's (Ledger) quest to change his stars, win the heart of an exceedingly fair maiden (Shannyn Sossamon) and rock his medieval world. Follow this fearless squire and his band of medieval misfits as they careen their way toward impossible glory that's part romance, part road trip and part exuberant swashbuckler.

Awards:
Won:
Taurus Award (2002)  Best Work with an Animal (Tom Dupont)
Taurus Award (2002)  Hardest Hit (Tom Dupont)
Nominated:
Casting Society of America Awards (2001)  Best Casting for Feature Film – Comedy (Francine Maisler)
MTV Movie Awards (2002)  Best Female Breakthrough Performance (Shannyn Sossamon)
MTV Movie Awards (2002)  Best Kiss (Heath Ledger and Shannyn Sossamon)
MTV Movie Awards (2002)  Best Musical Sequence (Heath Ledger and Shannyn Sossamon)
Taurus Award (2002)  Best Work with an Animal (Pasquel Madera)
Teen Choice Awards (2001)  Film - Choice Actor (Heath Ledger)
Teen Choice Awards (2001)  Film - Choice Breakout Performance (Shannyn Sossamon)
Teen Choice Awards (2001)  Film - Choice Chemistry (Shannyn Sossamon, Heath Ledger)
Teen Choice Awards (2001)  Film - Choice Drama
Teen Choice Awards (2001)  Film - Choice Drama/Action Adventure
World Soundtrack Awards (2001)  WSA Soundtrack Composer of the Year (Carter Burwell)

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is the first time that I have seen this movie. I enjoyed the mix between medieval and modern style. This mainly effects the music (classic rock) and fashion. But it also shows in how the tournaments are potrayed. It is shown more like a modern sport event. Heath Ledger was perfectly cast as William. Also Alan Tudyk (Wash from Firefly) was fun to watch. The guy who played Chaucer reminded me very much of the character Adam Monroe from "Heroes". I couldn't believe that it isn't the same guy.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:26:08 PM by Tom »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 07, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »
That is one of the many sitting in my unwatched pile.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 07, 2011, 11:21:44 PM »
That is one of the many sitting in my unwatched pile.

I think you will enjoy it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 07, 2011, 11:26:51 PM »
I extended the review a little. I remembered something I wanted to mention.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 08, 2011, 10:48:49 PM »
     The Fantastic Four (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Constantin Film, Highlight Communications (Germany)
Director:Tim Story
Writing:Mark Frost (Writer), Michael France (Writer), Stan Lee (Original Material By), Jack Kirby (Original Material By)
Length:101 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:German

Stars:
Ioan Gruffudd as Reed Richards
Jessica Alba as Sue Storm
Chris Evans as Johnny Storm
Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm
Julian McMahon as Victor Von Doom

Plot:
Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans head a sexy, star-powered cast in this explosive adventure about a quartet of flawed, ordinary human beings who suddenly find themselves with extraordinary abilities.

After exposure to cosmic radiation, four astronauts become the most remarkable, if dysfunctional, super heroes of all time. Unfortunately, the mission's sponsor has also been transformed — into the world's most lethal super-villain — setting the stage for a confrontation of epic proportions. Packed with nonstop action, awesome special effects and irreverent humor, Fantastic Four is exhilarating fun from start to finish!

Extras:
  • 6-seitiges Booklet
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Production Notes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
When I first saw it, I didn't expect to really like it, because of what I knew about Fantastic Four I thought it was a too ridiculous premise for a live-action superhero movie. But I was pleasantly surprised. I think it's better than most reviews make it out to be. I like all the performance of the characters, except for Mr. Fantastic himself. I never really liked him. I think he is the weak link in this movie.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 13, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »
     Green Lantern: First Flight (2009/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United Kingdom)
Director:Lauren Montgomery
Writing:Alan Burnett (Writer)
Length:74 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Polish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Bulgarian, English, German, Polish, Spanish

Stars:
Christopher Meloni as Hal Jordan / Green Lantern
Victor Garber as Sinestro
Tricia Helfer as Boodikka
Michael Madsen as Kilowog
John Larroquette as Tomar Re

Plot:
When pilot Hal Jordan accepts a mysterious, powerful ring from a dying alien creature, it transforms him into a Green Lantern, one of an elite force of heroes who patrol the universe to ensure peace and justice under the leadership of the Guardians of the Universe. Unsure of their newest recruit, the Guardians assign Hal to their most-honoured Green Lantern Sinestro for training, unaware that Sinestro wants to overthrow the Guardians and create a new order he'll control. It's a battle of might and willpower as Hal must prove his worth by defeating Sinestro to save the Green Lantern Corps.
Voiced by a stellar cast including Christopher Meloni, Victor Garber, Tricia Helfer and Michael Madsen, this DC Universe original animated adventure bursts with action-packed shakedowns, showdowns and spectacular visuals as Green Lantern uses his powers and imagination to make the impossible real!

Awards:
Won:
Scream Awards (2010)  Most Anticipated Movie

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I haven't had much contact with Green Lantern yet. I recently saw the new movie. While not great, I enjoyed myself.
This animated movie is similar in a way. Though I like the bad guy a lot better. In the live-action version they have saved him for a sequel.
I was a little disappointed, that this movie almost exclusivley is set in space. Green Lantern isn't seen back on Earth after he left for his training.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 13, 2011, 11:35:28 AM »
     Superman: The Movie (1978/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United Kingdom)
Director:Richard Donner
Writing:Jerry Siegel (Original Characters By), Joe Shuster (Original Characters By), Mario Puzo (Story By), Mario Puzo (Screenwriter), David Newman (Screenwriter), Leslie Newman (Screenwriter), Robert Benton (Screenwriter)
Length:151 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Music Only: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish

Stars:
Marlon Brando as Jor-El
Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor
Christopher Reeve as Superman / Clark Kent
Ned Beatty as Otis
Jackie Cooper as Perry White

Plot:
Richard Donner's big-budget blockbuster Superman: The Movie is an immensely entertaining recounting of the origin of the famous comic book character. Opening on Krypton (where Marlon Brando plays Superman's father), the film follows the Man of Steel (Christopher Reeve) as he's sent to Earth where he develops his alter-ego Clark Kent and is raised by a Midwestern family. In no time, the movie has run through his teenage years, and Clark gets a job at the Daily Planet, where he is a news reporter. It's there that he falls in love with Lois Lane (Margot Kidder), who is already in love with Superman. But the love story is quickly sidetracked once the villainous Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) launches a diabolical plan to conquer the world and kill Superman. Superman: The Movie is filled with action, special effects and a surprising amount of humor.

Awards:
Won:
Academy Award (1978)  Special Achievement Award (Les Bowie, Colin Chilvers, Denys Coop, Roy Field, Derek Meddings, Zoran Perisic (Visual Effects))
BAFTA (1978)  Most Promising Newcomer To Leading Film Roles (Christopher Reeve)
Grammy Awards (1980)  Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special (John Williams)
Hugo Award (1979)  Dramatic Presentation
Saturn (1978)  Best Actress (Margot Kidder)
Saturn (1978)  Best Music (John Williams)
Saturn (1978)  Best Production Design (John Barry)
Saturn (1978)  Best Science Fiction Film
Saturn (1978)  Best Special Effects (Colin Chilvers)
Nominated:
Academy Award (1978)  Best Film Editing (Stuart Baird)
Academy Award (1978)  Best Music, Original Score (John Williams)
Academy Award (1978)  Best Sound (Gordon K. McCallum, Graham V. Hartstone, Nicolas Le Messurier, Roy Charman)
AFI (1978)  100 Years... 100 Cheers (2006)
AFI (1978)  100 Years... 100 Songs (2004) ("Song": Can You Read My Mind)
AFI (1978)  100 Years... 25 Scores (2005) ("Composer": John Williams)
American Cinema Editors Awards (1979)  Best Edited Feature Film (Stuart Baird)
BAFTA (1978)  Cinematography (Geoffrey Unsworth)
BAFTA (1978)  Production Design (John Barry)
BAFTA (1978)  Soundtrack (Chris Greenham, Gordon K. McCallum, Peter Pennell, Mike Hopkins, Pat Foster, Stan Fiferman, John Foster, Roy Charman, Norman Bolland, Brian Marshall, Charles Schmitz, Richard Raguse, Chris Large)
BAFTA (1978)  Supporting Actor (Gene Hackman)
British Society of Cinematographers Awards (1978)  Best Cinematography Award (Geoffrey Unsworth)
Golden Globe (1978)  Original Score (John Williams)
Saturn (1978)  Best Actor (Christopher Reeve)
Saturn (1978)  Best Costumes (Yvonne Blake, Richard Bruno)
Saturn (1978)  Best Director (Richard Donner)
Saturn (1978)  Best Supporting Actress (Valerie Perrine)
Writers Guild of America Awards (1979)  Best Comedy Adapted from Another Medium (Mario Puzo, David Newman, Leslie Newman, Robert Benton)

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This movie is still great. Beginning with the great opening credits with the fabulous score of John Williams. Christopher Reeve is the perfect Superman.
Even though I prefer the "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I do"-Version of Superman, I always enjoyed Christopher Reeve's Clark. I think he played the two characters nicely different from each other. Richard Donner has shown here, that a Superhero movie doesn't need to be campy.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 13, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
Even though I prefer the "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I do"-Version of Superman,...
This makes me curious. Where is it shown like that...? Basically Superman is the only(?) superhero where it is actually the other way round. He is Superman and Clark is his secret identity...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 13, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
Even though I prefer the "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I do"-Version of Superman,...
This makes me curious. Where is it shown like that...? Basically Superman is the only(?) superhero where it is actually the other way round. He is Superman and Clark is his secret identity...

Mainly I know it from "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman". And what I have read on Wikipedia, also in the comics since the late 80s.
A line from Lois & Clark is: "Lois, Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
I like that show, because it focuses more on Lois & Clark, than on Superman.

Najemikon

« Reply #973 on: August 13, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
I prefer that he is truly Superman and Clark is the disguise, though the Lois and Clark series was great. Some say Superman is a boring character because he is too invincible, but there are some great dynamics in the fact that he is truly different to everyone around him. The tragedy of him trying to be human is powerful stuff.

The comics play with both ideas. I remember when they killed him off, the reason he actually returned was that he had allowed himself to think like a mortal and could therefore be beaten. He had to remember he was more than human to survive. And Frank Miller's treatment in The Dark Knight Returns had a bitter Batman determined to defeat Superman just so he could prove Clark wasn't one of us. Prove it to Clark, that is.  ;) Brilliant piece of writing that possibly informed this quote from Kill Bill 2...

Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent. He's weak... he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.

...which also of course picks up on Clark as a fool alter-ego, which is another point that drifts back and forth. Also, both Miller's treatment and a Marvel one-off called The Kingdom presented him as being immortal and having a destiny that he will outlive the Clark alter-ego and the false life he has created for himself. He will become nothing but Superman and that again changes the character. I like to think that a good character 'map' that covers the comics, film and tv would be:

- Superman is who he is. He becomes Clark Kent, the bumbling idiot because that's his disguise, nothing more.
- Despite himself he falls in love with Lois, which screws with his mind. He makes an effort to be Clark, now a real identity.
- He becomes human in his mind which means he can be defeated. Even killed.
- He returns and now the line between Clark and Superman is defined, possibly blurred.
- He accepts his destiny and essentially ascends to a demi-god. Around this time, or possibly much earlier, he is at once accepted by mankind, but his very presence threatens the stability of countries (like Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen).

I'm really hopeful for the new film. Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan have both demonstrated they understand these sort of dynamics and much more, so there is so much potential in the next film.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 13, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Fran Rubel Kuzui
Writing:Joss Whedon (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 4.0, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Candy Clark as Buffy's Mom
Kristy Swanson as Buffy
Donald Sutherland as Merrick
Paul Reubens as Amilyn
Rutger Hauer as Lothos

Plot:
Blonde, bouncy Buffy (KRISTY SWANSON) is your typical high school cheerleader – her goal is to "marry Christian Slater and die" and nothing gets in her way when it's time to shop. But all that changes when a strange man (DONALD SUTHERLAND) informs her she's been chosen by fate to kill vampires. With the help of a romantic rebel (LUKE PERRY), Buffy is soon spending school nights protecting L.A. from Lothos, the Vampire King (RUTGER HAUER), his sidekick, Lefty (PAUL REUBENS), and their determined gang of bloodsuckers. It's everything you'd expect from a teen queen in the Valley.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I like this movie. Even if the TV series is much better. One of the reasons that I like it is Kristy Swanson, who I always thought looks great. And I think she can hold her own in this movie. It's not her fault, that the movie isn't that good.
Some fun early appearances of other actors: Hilary Swank plays one of Buffy's friends. Stephen Root is great as always as the school's principal. Also Ben Affleck can be seen for two seconds.

Rating: