Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858496 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #810 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:43 PM »
     Léon: Director's Cut (1994/France)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Kinowelt Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Luc Besson
Writing:Luc Besson (Writer)
Length:133 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35
Audio:German: DTS-HD High Resolution 7.1, English: DTS-HD High Resolution 7.1, Music Only: DTS 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:German, Trivia

Stars:
Jean Reno as Leon
Gary Oldman as Stansfield
Natalie Portman as Mathilda
Danny Aiello as Tony
Peter Appel as Malky

Plot:
Professional assassin Leon reluctantly takes care of 12-year-old Mathilda, a neighbor whose parents are killed, and teaches her his trade.

Awards:
Nominated:
César (1994)  Meilleur Acteur (Jean Reno)
César (1994)  Meilleur Film
César (1994)  Meilleur Montage (Sylvie Landra)
César (1994)  Meilleur Réalisateur (Luc Besson)
César (1994)  Meilleur Son (François Groult, Pierre Escoffier, Gérard Lamps, Bruno Tarrière)
César (1994)  Meilleure Musique écrite pour un film (Eric Serra)
César (1994)  Meilleure Photo (Thierry Arbogast)

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Director's Cut: 133 Min.
  • Kinofassung: 110 Min.
  • Photo Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
For some reason, I have never seen this movie before, even if it was on TV countless times.
I have to say that it is a great film. I enjoyed it more than I had anticipated. Great performances all around.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 14, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »
Did you watch the extended cut? I always thought the added scenes helped make sense to some of the plot parts and just to the characters in general.

kahless

« Reply #812 on: November 14, 2010, 09:15:42 AM »
Did you watch the extended cut? I always thought the added scenes helped make sense to some of the plot parts and just to the characters in general.

Is the Director's Cut (only version I know) equal to the extended cut?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #813 on: November 14, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »
Yes, I have watched the director's cut. As far as I know, the extended cut and the director's cut are the same.
Although Luc Besson seems to refer to the theatrical cut as the director's cut. From Wikipedia:
There is also a long version of the film, referred to as "international version" or "version intégrale". Containing 25 minutes of additional footage, it is sometimes called the "Director's Cut" but Besson refers to the original version as the Director's Cut and the new version as "The Long Version".

Najemikon

« Reply #814 on: November 14, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
I actually much prefer the shorter cut. I think some of Mathilda's "training" feels over the top and poorly paced.

Critter

« Reply #815 on: November 14, 2010, 11:24:46 PM »
I love Leon, I'm not sure if I saw the Extended cut or not but next to V for Vendetta it is my favourite Natalie Portman role.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #816 on: November 15, 2010, 12:41:48 AM »
Leon is a great movie; I prefer the director's cut. I didn't much like V for Vendetta, I just couldn't get into it and I found it very predictable.

Critter

« Reply #817 on: November 15, 2010, 12:48:21 AM »
Really? V for Vendetta is one of my all time favourites, as well as being one of my most watched films. I must have seen it at least 20 or more times (part of this was due to having to study it for VCE) but it's still one of my faves nonetheless.

Najemikon

« Reply #818 on: November 15, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »
I've never seen such enthusiasm for this film! Tell me you've read the book, Sophie, it's so much better.

Critter

« Reply #819 on: November 15, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »
Yes while I was studying it at school I brought the graphic novel to read and loved it. 'Enthusiasm' for the film is very much an understatement when it comes to me and V for Vendetta. Outright obsessed is a more accurate way of describing it! I once watched the whole film 6 times in one week. Something I have never even come close to doing with anything else.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #820 on: November 15, 2010, 01:03:46 AM »
You had to study V for Vendetta for your VCE? No comment.

As for most watched films, three come to mind. Chopper, The 'Burbs and A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.

Critter

« Reply #821 on: November 15, 2010, 01:06:13 AM »
Yeah I had to study it for media. My teacher loved to makes us study some of his favourite films so throughout VCE media my class studied: Alien, The Elephant Man, V for Vendetta, Philadelphia, Pan's Labyrinth and The Blair Witch Project.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #822 on: November 15, 2010, 01:12:31 AM »
I wish my media class was like. I did it in year 11 and we had to study The Castle, which was I was very pleased about. And another Aussie movie called Shame, which was totally and utterly pathetic.

Critter

« Reply #823 on: November 15, 2010, 01:22:20 AM »
Did you have sort of Australian-only rule? Those are only the films I studied in media. I also studied The Heiress, Children of Men and a few other films I can't remember in other classes.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #824 on: November 15, 2010, 01:28:29 AM »
Who knows, I gave up trying to figure out my school's logic. I could tell you some stories about that place.