Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858538 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #720 on: August 07, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »

Title: Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.
Year: 2007
Director: Reema Kagti
Writing: Anurag Kashyap (Screenwriter), Reema Kagti (Writer)
Rating: NR
Length: 125 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Arabic, English

Stars:
Shabana Azmi as Naheed
Boman Irani as Oscar
Ameesha Patel as Pinky
Karran Khanna as Vicky
Raima Sen as Milly

Plot:
Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. is about newly married couples on a package honeymoon to Goa. Exciting and cheerful, this vacation is a subsidized option for a lot of dreamers on the bring of their new life. Six couples, a guide, a driver and a handyman ride in a bus from Bombay to Goa with a mysterious man on a bike following them. The narrative humorously unfolds different stories that explore the nature of love and human relationships.

Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. is a quirky comedy about love, men, women and superheroes...

Awards:
Extras:
Music Videos
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A nice movie. Nothing special. It came to my attention when I was looking for movies with Minissha Lamba in it. Here she is part of a newlywed couple who both are secretly superheroes without the other knowing. She is cute again in this role. Also the other stories are nice to watch. I was surprised that the subject matter of homosexuality is adressed here. Two of the men here are closeted gays. I was surprised to see this in a typical Bollywood movie.
(click to show/hide)

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:09:58 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 07, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »

Title: Pappa ante Portas
Year: 1991
Director: Loriot
Writing: Loriot (Writer)
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Evelyn Hamann as Renate Lohse
Loriot as Heinrich Lohse
Loriot as Opa Hoppenstedt
Loriot as Dichter Frohwein
Loriot as Geigenspieler

Plot:
Jeden Rabatt ausnutzend, beschert Einkaufsdirektor Heinrich Lohse (Loriot) seiner Firma Schreibmaschinenpapier für die nächsten 40 Jahre im voraus. Daraufhin vorzeitig in den Ruhestand versetzt, steht Pappa mittags vor der Haustür und verkündet die "freudige" Überraschung: Ab sofort werde er seine Erfahrungen dem Haushalt und der Familie zur Verfügung stellen.

LORIOT in Bestform! Mit seinem unnachahmlichen Humor versteht er es wie kein anderer, die Tücken des normalen Alltags aufzuspüren und mit Liebe zum Detail zu porträtieren.

Awards:
Extras:
Cartoon "Fernsehen"
Featurettes
Loriot über DVD
Morphing-Sequenz
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is a great movie. I always enjoy watching it. A lot of lines I often think of in everyday situations. This is one of two movies written and directed by and starring Loriot, a German humorist who had a successful sketch show in the 70s, which had a lot of phrases which are still being used today.
This movie is about a guy, who is sent into retirement by his company after ordering enough typewriter paper to last 40 years just because it is cheaper this way. This suprising turn of events causes trouble with his wife who has to handle his excentricities now also during the day. This movie lives from how the lines are delivered. I could quote some of my favorite lines here, but through translation and conversion to printed form all the humor would probably be lost.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:09:06 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 08, 2010, 10:43:59 AM »

Title: Baadshah
Year: 1999
Director: Abbas-Mustan
Writing: Shyam K. Goel (Writer), Neeraj Vora (Writer)
Rating: PG
Length: 175 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85
Audio: Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Rakhee Gulzar as Gaytri Bachchan
Shahrukh Khan as Baadshah
Twinkle Khanna as Seema Malhotra
Amrish Puri as Suraj Singh Thaper
Johnny Lever as Ram Lal

Plot:
K. Jhunjhunwala would like to find his runaway daughter, so that he can get her married. Prominent businessman, Mahindra, would like to negotiate with his daughter's kidnappers, and secure her release. And the CBI would like to protect the life of chief minister Gayatri Bachchan under the mission code-named --Maa, and the CBI officer in charge to be code-named -- Baadshah. Now, Baadshah also happens to be an out of work private investigator, who has agreed to assist Jhunjhunwala and Mahindra. While doing so, Baadshah is mistaken for the CBI agend and ends up working for the assassins. He must assassinate Gayatri or end up losing his team and Mahindra's daughter, with whom he has fallen in love with.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2000NominatedBest Comedian AwardShah Rukh Khan
Filmfare Awards2000NominatedBest Villain AwardAmrish Puri

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Music Videos
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A really silly movie, but I enjoyed it. Shahrukh Khan makes watching this movie worthwhile. He is great as the guy who is a very capable private detective, but because of his name gets confused in a murder plot without him knowing. And as it seems like in a lot of 90s Shah Rukh Khan movies, Amrish Puri plays the villain and Johnny Lever the comic relief sidekick. Both did a good job. Twinkle Khanna is also fun to watch as the female lead.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:08:23 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 08, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »

Title: Moulin Rouge!
Year: 2001
Director: Baz Luhrmann
Writing: Baz Luhrmann (Writer), Craig Pearce (Writer)
Rating: PG-13
Length: 128 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

Stars:
Nicole Kidman as Satine
Ewan McGregor as Christian
John Leguizamo as Toulouse-Lautrec
Jim Broadbent as Harold Zidler
Richard Roxburgh as The Duke

Plot:
Venture behind the red velvet curtain and witness a spectacle beyond the imagination. Enter a fantastic world where nothing is forbidden and everything is possible – The world of Moulin Rouge!

Awards:
Academy Award2001NominatedBest ActressNicole Kidman
Academy Award2001WonBest Art DirectionCatherine Martin (Art Direction), Brigitte Broch (Set Decoration)
Academy Award2001NominatedBest CinematographyDonald McAlpine
Academy Award2001WonBest Costume DesignCatherine Martin, Angus Strathie
Academy Award2001NominatedBest Film EditingJill Bilcock
Academy Award2001NominatedBest MakeupMaurizio Silvi, Aldo Signoretti
Academy Award2001NominatedBest PictureMartin Brown, Baz Luhrmann, Fred Baron (Producers)
Academy Award2001NominatedBest SoundAndy Nelson, Anna Behlmer, Roger Savage, Guntis Sics
AFI2001Won100 Years of Musicals (2006)
AFI2001Nominated100 Years... 100 Cheers (2006)
AFI2001Won100 Years... 100 Songs (2004)"Song": Come What May
AFI2001Nominated100 Years... 100 Songs (2004)"Song": Roxanne
American Cinema Editors Awards2002WonBest Edited Feature Film – Comedy or MusicalJill Bilcock
American Film Institute Awards2001WonComposer of the Year - MoviesCraig Armstrong
American Film Institute Awards2001WonEditor of the Year - MoviesJill Bilcock
American Film Institute Awards2001WonMovie of the Year
American Society of Cinematographers Awards2002NominatedOutstanding Achievement in Cinematography in Theatrical ReleasesDon McAlpine
Anatomy Awards2002WonBest Nip-slip (unintentional nippage)Nicole Kidman
Art Directors Guild Production Design Awards2002WonFeature Film – Period or Fantasy Films
ASCAP Awards2002WonMost Performed Songs from Motion Pictures"Lady Marmalade": Kenny Nolan
BAFTA2001NominatedAchievement In Special Visual EffectsChris Godfrey, Andrew Brown, Nathan McGuinness, Brian Cox, Shrek, Ken Bielenberg
BAFTA2001WonActor In A Supporting RoleJim Broadbent
BAFTA2001WonAnthony Asquith Award For Achievement In Film MusicCraig Armstrong, Marius Devries
BAFTA2001NominatedCinematographyDonald McAlpine
BAFTA2001NominatedCostume DesignCatherine Martin, Angus Strathie
BAFTA2001NominatedEditingJill Bilcock
BAFTA2001NominatedFilmMartin Brown, Baz Luhrmann, Fred Baron
BAFTA2001NominatedMake Up & HairMaurizio Silvi, Aldo Signoretti
BAFTA2001NominatedProduction DesignCatherine Martin
BAFTA2001NominatedScreenplay (Original)Baz Luhrmann, Craig Pearce
BAFTA2001WonSoundAnna Behlmer, Andy Nelson, Roger Savage, Guntis Sics, Gareth Vanderhope, Antony Gray
BAFTA2001NominatedThe David Lean Award For Achievement In DirectionBaz Luhrmann
British Society of Cinematographers Awards2002NominatedBest Cinematography AwardDonald McAlpine
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2002NominatedBest ActressNicole Kidman
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2002WonBest DirectorBaz Luhrmann
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2002NominatedBest Picture
Casting Society of America Awards2002WonBest Casting for Feature Film – DramaRonna Kress
César2001NominatedMeilleur Film EtrangerBaz Luhrmann
Cinema Audio Society Awards2002NominatedOutstanding Sound Mixing for Motion PicturesAndy Nelson, Anna Behlmer, Roger Savage, Guntis Sics
Directors Guild of America2002NominatedOutstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion PicturesBaz Luhrmann
Empire Magazine Awards2002WonBest ActressNicole Kidman
Empire Magazine Awards2002WonBest British ActorEwan McGregor
Empire Magazine Awards2002WonBest DirectorBaz Luhrmann
European Film Awards2001WonScreen International European Film Award (non-European)
Golden Globe2001NominatedActor in a Leading Role - Musical or ComedyEwan McGregor
Golden Globe2001WonActress in a Leading Role - Musical or ComedyNicole Kidman
Golden Globe2001NominatedDirectorBaz Luhrmann
Golden Globe2001WonOriginal ScoreCraig Armstrong
Golden Globe2001NominatedOriginal Song"Come What May": David Baerwald (Music/Lyrics)
Golden Globe2001WonPicture - Musical or ComedyFred Baron, Martin Brown, Baz Luhrmann
Grammy Awards2002NominatedBest Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media
MTV Movie Awards2002WonBest Female PerformanceNicole Kidman
MTV Movie Awards2002NominatedBest KissNicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor
MTV Movie Awards2002NominatedBest Musical SequenceNicole Kidman
MTV Movie Awards2002WonBest Musical SequenceNicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor
National Board of Review Awards, USA2001WonBest Film
National Board of Review Awards, USA2001WonBest Supporting ActorJim Broadbent
Online Film Critics Society Awards2002NominatedBest CinematographyDonald McAlpine
Online Film Critics Society Awards2002NominatedBest DirectorBaz Luhrmann
Online Film Critics Society Awards2002WonBest Overall DVD
Satellite Awards2002WonBest Actor – Comedy or MusicalEwan McGregor
Satellite Awards2002WonBest Actor in a Supporting Role – Comedy or MusicalJim Broadbent
Satellite Awards2002WonBest Actress – Comedy or MusicalNicole Kidman
Satellite Awards2002WonBest Art DirectionIan Gracie, Catherine Martin, Anne Beauchamp
Satellite Awards2002NominatedBest CinematographyDonald McAlpine
Satellite Awards2002WonBest Costume DesignCatherine Martin, Angus Strathie
Satellite Awards2002WonBest DirectorBaz Luhrmann
Satellite Awards2002NominatedBest Film EditingJill Bilcock
Satellite Awards2002WonBest Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Satellite Awards2002WonBest Original ScoreCraig Armstrong
Satellite Awards2002NominatedBest Original Song"Come What May": David Baerwald
Satellite Awards2002NominatedBest Screenplay – OriginalBaz Luhrmann, Craig Pierce
Satellite Awards2002NominatedBest SoundGuntis Sics
Satellite Awards2002WonBest Visual EffectsChris Godfrey
Saturn2001NominatedBest CostumesCatherine Martin, Angus Strathie
Saturn2001NominatedBest DVD Special Edition Release
Teen Choice Awards2002NominatedFilm - Choice Movie, Drama/Action Adventure
World Soundtrack Awards2001WonDiscovery of the YearCraig Armstrong
World Soundtrack Awards2001WonMost Creative Use of Existing Material on a SoundtrackBaz Luhrmann, Craig Armstrong, Marius De Vries
World Soundtrack Awards2001NominatedWSA Best Original Score of the Year Not Released on an AlbumCraig Armstrong
World Soundtrack Awards2001WonWSA Best Original Song Written Directly for a Film"Come What May": David Baerwald
World Soundtrack Awards2001NominatedWSA Best Original Soundtrack of the YearCraig Armstrong, Marius De Vries
Writers Guild of America Awards2002NominatedBest Screenplay Written Directly for the ScreenBaz Luhrmann, Craig Pearce

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Multi Angle
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
THX certified

My Thoughts:
I haven't seen this movie for nine years now. I enjoyed it then, but it never was a movie I had the urge to watch again. I still have this feeling after this time. The reason I popped in the disc today was, that I have read that it was inspired by Bollywood. I don't see it. Okay there are huge dance numbers, but they do not come close to a good Bollywood dance number. Even the Indian dance number towards the end seemed more like a mockery of Bollywood. And that song was also really short. But other than that the songs can be enjoyed.
For some reason I always saw Sid from Ice Age in front of me when John Leguizamo, who plays Toulouse-Lautrec, opened his mouth.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:07:52 PM by Tom »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #724 on: August 08, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »
I'm not very big on musicals but I loved Moulin Rouge! Many of the songs were stuck in my head for days after watching it.   :whistle:

Rogmeister

« Reply #725 on: August 08, 2010, 07:25:04 PM »
This weekend, on "At The Movies" (a show where 2 film critics review movies) they had a segment where they listed 2 underrated dance movies and two overrated ones and one of the critics picked Moulin Rouge as his overrated dance movie.  The other overrated movie was a little film called Chicago.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 08, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »
I'm not very big on musicals but I loved Moulin Rouge! Many of the songs were stuck in my head for days after watching it.   :whistle:

I am big on musicals. And with good musicals I also have songs stuck in my head. But not with Moulin Rouge. Only one song has stuck a little, and that is "Sound of Music" which of course is from the classic musical "The Sound of Music". And as most of the songs in Moulin Rouge are not original, I don't give the makers of this movie credit if snippets of songs stuck in my head. This is not to say I don't appreciate their effort to mix these songs. I liked what I saw here for the most part.

snowcat

« Reply #727 on: August 08, 2010, 07:49:35 PM »

For some reason I always saw Sid from Ice Age in front of me when John Leguizamo, who plays Toulouse-Lautrec, opened his mouth.

:hysterical:

I completely know what you mean Tom!

Edit:

I felt the same way when I re-watched Spawn recently
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:51:15 PM by Emma (snowcat) »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:28 PM »

Title: The Phantom
Year: 1996
Director: Simon Wincer
Writing: Lee Falk (Original Characters By), Jeffrey Boam (Writer)
Rating: PG
Length: 100 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

Stars:
Billy Zane as Phantom/Kit Walker
Kristy Swanson as Diana Palmer
Treat Williams as Xander Drax
Catherine Zeta Jones as Sala
James Remar as Quill

Plot:
Billy Zane stars as The Phantom in this thrill-a-minute actioner based on one of the most successful comic series of all time!

The story begins as an expedition lands on the island of Bengalla, seeking the legendary skulls of Touganda. Believed to harness an energy force of incalculable power, the skulls could spell disaster for mankind. And that's exactly what ruthless tycoon Xander Drax has in mind... unless one man can save it.

Now evil has met its match and great movie adventure has a new name - The Phantom!

Awards:
Extras:
Closed Captioned
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Before this movie I knew the Phantom only from the "Defenders of the Earth" animated series. I quite like this movie. It isn't really all that special, but I enjoyed the ride. It is essentially a non-stop action movie. It reminds a little of Indiana Jones because of a similar setting. I thought Billy Zane did a good job. I also have a soft spot for Kristy Swanson.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:07:11 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 09, 2010, 12:27:43 AM »

Title: Best Men
Year: 1997
Director: Tamra Davis
Writing: Art Edler Brown (Writer), Tracy Fraim (Writer)
Rating: 15
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Dean Cain as Buzz
Andy Dick as Teddy
Sean Patrick Flanery as Billy
Mitchell Whitfield as Sol
Luke Wilson as Jesse

Plot:
It's a special day for Jesse Chandler in more ways than one.. Not only is it the day he gets out of jail after three long, hard years but it is also the day he gets married to his long suffering girlfriend, Hope. When his three best buddies meet him at the prison gates all dressed up in their dinner suits and bow ties, Jesse knows life can be sweet, that is until Billy decides to rob the town bank because he needs a little cash. Spectacular stunts, great action, sparkling dialogue and some unexpected twists plus Superman Dean Cain in his first motion picture and Drew Barrymore hot from the Wedding Singer all make Best Men one of the action comedies of the year.

Awards:
Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I have bought this DVD years ago when I was buying anything with Drew Barrymore in it. Though she has a rather small role in it, I liked her performance. Also the rest of the cast was of interest to me.
This was the first time I saw Dean Cain in anything other than Lois & Clark. He had an interesting role here.
I still enjoyed this movie this time around, though not as much as in the past. By the way, the bus in the end is the bus from the movie "Speed". Number 2525.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:06:15 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #730 on: August 09, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
Dean Cain also popped up in Rat Race. Shame he could never capitalise on Supes.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:34 PM »

Title: Guddu
Year: 1995
Director: Prem Lalwani
Writing: Abrar Alvi (Screenwriter), Prem Lalwani (Screenwriter), Prem Lalwani (Story By)
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 160 Min.
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Deepti Naval
Ashok Saraf
Manisha Koirala as Salina
Shahrukh Khan as Guddu
Mukesh Khanna as Vikram

Plot:
Guddu Bahadur is only child in the Bahadur family, consisting of Advocate Vikram, and his wife, Kavita. While Kavita is a devout and a religous Hindu, Vikram is not. Guddu and Salina Gupta are in love. One day, while driving, they meet with an accident, and Salina loses her sight. Guddu blames himself, and so do Salina's parents, and he is asked to keep away from Salina. Salina herself knows that the accident was not Guddu's fault, but would not like to meet Guddu and be a burden on him. Then Guddu overhears a conversation between their family doctor and his dad, and he comes to know that he has brain tumor, and has only a few more months to live. He wants to donate his eyes to the hospital so that Salina can benefit from them, but his dad will not even consider this. Things take a turn for the worse, when Guddu decides to go to court to assert his right to donate his eyes, not knowing that his decision will change everyone's lives.

Awards:
Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Even though the premise is ridiculous, I gave this movie a chance because it stars the great pairing from "Dil Se.." (and it was really cheap). I enjoyed the movie in the first half, where the relationship begins. It is nothing special. Just your average love story. But the second half, even though I enjoyed it in some parts, is just unintentionally funny because of the subject matter of "eye transplantation".

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:05:32 PM by Tom »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 09, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »
Dean Cain also popped up in Rat Race. Shame he could never capitalise on Supes.

I have quite a bit with Dean Cain in it.. but that is probably because he has done his fair share of low-budget horror... lets see... I have...

- 10.5: Apocalypse
- Best Men
- Boa
- Dead and Deader
- Dragon Fighter
- Futuresport

And of course I have all the Lois & Clark sets. He also played in an episode of Smallville in season 7.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 09, 2010, 07:34:47 PM »

Title: Made of Honor
Year: 2008
Director: Paul Weiland
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, German: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: Arabic, Commentary, Dutch, English, French, German, Turkish

Stars:
Patrick Dempsey
Michelle Monaghan
Kevin McKidd
Kadeem Hardison
Chris Messina

Plot:
Tom loves his life, until he realizes he also loves his best friend Hannah. But when Hannah gets engaged to a dashing Scotsman and asks Tom to be her maid of honor, Tom faces hostile bridesmaids, bridal showers, and bad hair days, all in an effort to pull off the perfect wedding and steal the bride. He's maid of honor with a plan.

Awards:
Teen Choice Awards2008NominatedChoice Movie: Romantic Comedy

Extras:
BD-Live
Bonus Trailers
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Boring. I didn't expect much, just your average rom-com fare. But even for that it didn't have anything of interest. Not a single original or even entertaining idea. It was nice though to see Kadeem Hardison again. I haven't seen him in many things since his lead role in the Cosby Show spin-off "A Different World".
Too bad that this was Sydney Pollack's last role before his death.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 09, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »

Title: Singin' in the Rain
Year: 1952
Director: Gene Kelly, Stanley Donen
Writing: Adolph Green (Original Material By), Betty Comden (Original Material By), Adolph Green (Screenwriter), Betty Comden (Screenwriter)
Rating: G
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 1, English: Dolby Digital 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Gene Kelly as Don Lockwood
Donald O'Connor as Cosmo Brown
Debbie Reynolds as Kathy Selden
Jean Hagen as Lina Lamont
Millard Mitchell as R.F. Simpson

Plot:
Silent movies are giving way to Talking Pictures – and a hoofer-turned-matinee idol (Gene Kelly) is caught in that bumpy transition, as well as his buddy (Donald O'Connor), prospective ladylove (Debbie Reynolds) and shrewish co-star (Jean Hagen). The musical masterwork Singin' in the Rain marks its 50th anniversary in this Deluxe Edition providing a downpour of celebratory Special Features that salute not just this all-time favorite but also the musical legacy of its producer, songwriter Arthur Freed.

Awards:
Academy Award1952NominatedBest Music, Musical PictureLennie Hayton
Academy Award1952NominatedBest Supporting ActressJean Hagen
AFI1952Won100 Years of Musicals (2006)
AFI1952Won100 Years... 100 Laughs (2000)
AFI1952Won100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI1952Won100 Years... 100 Movies (2007)
AFI1952Won100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
AFI1952Won100 Years... 100 Songs (2004)"Song": Good Morning
AFI1952Won100 Years... 100 Songs (2004)"Song": Make 'Em Laugh
AFI1952Won100 Years... 100 Songs (2004)"Song": Singin' in the Rain
BAFTA1952NominatedFilm And British Film
Directors Guild of America1953NominatedOutstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion PicturesStanley Donen, Gene Kelly
Golden Globe1952WonActor in a Leading Role - Musical or ComedyDonald O'Connor
Golden Globe1952NominatedPicture - Musical or ComedyArthur Freed
Writers Guild of America Awards1953WonBest Written American MusicalBetty Comden, Adolph Green

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Scoring Session Music Cues
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A great classic musical. Also a fun story about the difficulties of the transition from silent movies to talkies. Like in Moulin Rouge, all the songs are not original to this movie, but are taken from older musicals. I enjoyed all of these, except maybe the one towards the end, which is too much of a showstopper and it just doesn't fit with the rest of the movie. I guess this is on purpose as the characters themselves planned this one for their talkie which is set in the past but has this modern number in it.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:04:49 PM by Tom »