Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 864672 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #675 on: June 09, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »

Title: Bhoothnath
Year: 2008
Director: Vivek Sharma
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 131 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Amitabh Bachchan
Juhi Chawla
Satish Shah
Rajpal Yadav
Priyanshu Chatterji

Plot:
It's believed that children have the strongest connection to god. They have the ability to perceive goodness in everything and everyone. This is a story about a seven-year-old naughty yet innocent boy, who unknowingly turns a foe into a friend. This is a story about Banku and his friend, Bhoothnath - about innocence, honesty and the pure love of a child. It is believed a mother's love is selfless. But a child's love can transform relationships; it comes with no expectations and no boundaries. Their love can make you believe in miracles. A story about a little innocence, a little playfulness, and a lot of emotions that will touch hearts. This is a story that will show adults to see the world through the eyes of a child - an angel, a creation of god. It's then that one will realize what a beautiful world they live in after all.

Awards:
Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A nice family movie. A bit silly at times, but overall very enjoyable. This movie is about a ghost, who haunts a house because he doesn't want anyone living there. Until a family moves in, of which the small boy encounters the ghost and doesn't fear him. Throughout the movie they become tight friends.
Amitabh Bachchan is very fitting as the grumpy ghost. Shah Rukh Khan's role is minor, as expected. He plays the absentee father. I liked the cinematography. Also the songs were fun. Though the first one, while I liked it, was a little disturbing:

Rating:

Critter

« Reply #676 on: June 10, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »
Hmm the plot of that one reminded me very much of Beetlejuice, just from reading your review of course, I haven't actually seen it. But the whole ghosts haunting the house becuase they don't want anyone there, until they befreind the child of the family is also what happens in Juice.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 10, 2010, 07:19:07 AM »
Yes, the idea is not original. There is also "The Canterville Ghost".

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 11, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »

Title: Billu
Year: 2009
Director: Priyadarshan
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 132 Min.

Stars:
Irrfan
Lara Dutta
Om Puri
Asrani
Rajpal Yadav

Plot:
Based in Budbuda, Uttar Pradesh, Billu Vilas Pardesi barely makes a living as a barber. His wife, Bindiya, looks after the household, and his children, Gunja and Ronak, are on the verge of being expelled from Gyaan Bharti Vidyalay Higher Secondary School due to non-payment of fees. Then everything changes when Bollywood actor Sahir Khan makes an appearance to film a movie in the town. Rumors spread that Billu is Sahir's close friends, and he becomes a celebrity virtually overnight. His shop gets donations and clientèle, and the school decides to educate his children for free. The trouble begins when townsfolk want to meet with Sahir but Billu is unable to contact him.

Awards:
Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie is about a simple guy, living hard times because of money problems. Then one day THE Bollywood superstar is coming to the village to shoot some scenes for a movie. The complete village is excited about this, except Billu. He supposedly was a friend with this star when growing up and he fears that he won't be recognized by him anymore. And he doesn't want to look like he only approaches him because of this money problems. But then the villagers get wind of it that he knows him and want Billu to introduce them to the star personally. Most of the movie is Billu trying to avoid this. Until toward the end the villagers turn on him believing he doesn't really know the star. The conclusion of this movie, though clichéd, is really heartfelt and I liked it.

The superstar is played by Shah Rukh Khan, of course. His character name is Sahir Khan, but he is obviously based on SRK himself. They even used a lot of snippets from previous SRK movies when showing excerpts of previous Sahir Khan movies, like from "Chak De! India", "Veer-Zaara", "Main Hoon Na" and "Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna".

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 12, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »

Title: Swades
Year: 2004
Director: Ashutosh Gowariker
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 187 Min.
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Shah Rukh Khan
Gayatri Joshi
Kishori Ballal
Master Smith Seth
Lekh Tandon

Plot:
Set in modern day India, Swades is a film that tackles the issues that development throws up on a grass root level. It is to this India, which is colorful, heterogeneous and complex that Mohan Bhargava (Shah Rukh Khan), a bright young scientist working as a project manager in NASA, returns to on a quest to find his childhood nanny. The film uses the contrast between the highly developed world of NASA, which has been at the forefront of advances in space research, and this world back home in India, which is at the crossroads of development. Mohan's simple quest becomes the journey that every one of us goes through in search of that metaphysical and elusive place called 'home'.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2005WonBest Actor AwardShah Rukh Khan
Filmfare Awards2005WonBest Background Score AwardA. R. Rahman
Filmfare Awards2005NominatedBest Director AwardAshutosh Gowariker
Filmfare Awards2005NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2005NominatedBest Music Director AwardA. R. Rahman

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Mohan, a NRI (Non-Resident Indian) returns to India after living twelve years in America working for NASA. Here he is confronted with poverty, illiteracy, caste discrimination and even child marriage. But on the other hand he also experiences again the connection to his mother country. After trying to bring some change into a small villiage, where his childhood nanny now lives, he struggles with the decision if he should return to America or stay in India.
I enjoyed this movie. Shah Rukh Khan did a great job. This movie is a great insight into today's India outside the cities. I can also recommend this movie to those who do not like musicals. Even though there are some songs, there is hardly dancing and the songs are few and far between. They do not distract from the movie at all in my opinion.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 13, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »

Title: Dil Se..
Year: 1998
Director: Mani Ratnam
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 159 Min.
Audio: Hindi: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Stars:
Shahrukh Khan
Manisha Koirala
Preity Zinta
Raghuvir Yadav
Sabyasachi Chakravarthy

Plot:
Ancient Arabic literature classifies love into seven different shades...

HUB...their eyes meet, it's like a touch... a spark... Attraction
UNS...the touch of the eyes was as if, it was infatuation...
ISHQ...the flame of her body is felt, his breath starts igniting... Love...
AQIDAT...Reverence... she touches him like a whisper, as if silence is mixed in her eyes... he prays, knelt down on the floor, a little consciously and a little unconsciously...
IBADAAT...he is entangled on her path, entangled in her arms... Love turns to Worship.
Junoon...his living is an Obsession... his dying is an Obsession... apart from this there is no peace...
MAUT...let him rest in the lap of Death... let him drown his body in her soul...

DIL SE.. a journey through these seven shades....

Awards:
Filmfare Awards1999NominatedBest Actress AwardManisha Koirala
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Choreography AwardFarah Khan
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Cinematographer AwardSantosh Sivan
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Lyricist AwardGulza
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Male Playback AwardSukhwinder Singh
Filmfare Awards1999WonBest Music Director AwardA. R. Rahman
Filmfare Awards1999NominatedBest Supporting Actress AwardPreity Zinta
Filmfare Awards1999WonLux New Face AwardPreity Zinta

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I very much enjoyed this movie. Manisha Koirala was great as the love interest with a big secret. Too bad I don't have anything else with her. This was also the debut of Preity Zinta in a supporting role.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 13, 2010, 10:45:12 PM »

Title: Dhoom:2
Year: 2006
Director: Sanjay Gadhvi
Length: 156 Min.

Stars:
Hrithik Roshan
Abhishek Bachchan
Aishwarya Rai
Uday Chopra
Bipasha Basu

Plot:
In the second installment of the Dhoom series, Jai and Ali are back as the buddy cops on their toughest job so far. 'Mr.A' is an international thief who has planned to steal a priceless artifact in Mumbai and the police have got to nab him. But Mr.A manages to steal the artifact and elude the police. He finds his match in Sunehri and they form a partnership. They move on to Rio for their next job, with Jai and Ali hot on their trail. Mr.A whose actual name is Aryan, and Sunehri are drawn towards each other but little does Aryan know of Sunehri's little secret.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2007WonBest Actor AwardHrithik Roshan
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Actress AwardAishwarya Rai
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Director AwardSanjay Gadhvi
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2007NominatedBest Music Director AwardPritam
Taurus Award2007NominatedBest Action in a Foreign FilmAllan Amin

Extras:
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I have bought Dhoom 1+2 at the same time a while back, when both were down in price at the same time. These movies belong to the most successful Bollywood movies in recent times. But after watching the first one I was heavily disappointed and it took me a while to watch the second one. Luckily I decided to finally watch it, because I enjoyed it a lot more than the other. In huge part thanks to Hritik Roshan ("Krrish") as the master thief Mr. A.
When the movie started I feared it was going to be similar to the first one. It had bad over-the-top and very unrealistic action scenes. But luckily it was only the pre-credit sequence. After that it was a funny buddy-cop movie with some nice action and a great villain.
This movie also caused some controversies in India because of the on-screen kiss between Ashwarya Rai and Hritik Roshan. In recent years it is done more and more in Indian films, but it is still not very much accepted. Especially in such a high profile movie.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 19, 2010, 11:59:17 AM »

Title: Kya Kehna!
Year: 2000
Director: Kundan Shah
Rating: PG
Length: 156 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Saif Ali Khan
Chandrachur Singh
Priety Zinta
Anupam Kher
Farida Jalal

Plot:
'Kya Kehna!' is a social family drama. Anupam Kher and Farida Jalal have three sons and a daughter. Preity Zinta, being the only daughter, is the darling of the fis not aware of his feelings for her. She falls in lov with a college playboy Saif Ali Khan, despite of his bad reputation of being a flurt. She is also warned by her family but she does not take listen and in their relationship, Preity gets pregnant. Saif refuses to marry her. Preity's parents advice Preity to get the baby aborted, but she refuses and insist of giving birth to the baby. What happens to the unwed mother is the rest of the story.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2001NominatedBest Actress AwardPreity Zinta
Filmfare Awards2001WonBest Story AwardHoney Irani
IIFA Awards2001WonBest Screen PlayHoney Irani

Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Music Videos
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Funnier than I had expected. From the description I thought it would be a drama throughout. But the first hour or so is just a regular romantic comedy. Anupam Kher as the father is a riot as he often is.
This movie handle the delicate (for India) subject of a pregnacy of a young woman out of wedlock. Preity Zinta did a great job here. It is one of her first roles. I didn't realize that she was paired with Saif Ali Khan so early. I have seen two later movies with those two in the leads.
The DVD quality on the other hand is not so good. The video is non-anamorphic. There were a few minutes were the subtitles were mostly missing (only every fifth sentence or so got subtitled), but you got the gist of those scenes. The most annoying though was, that the audio track was out of sync with the video the last half hour or so.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 20, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »

Title: Forrest Gump
Year: 1994
Director: Robert Zemeckis
Length: 136 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Czech: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles: Commentary, Czech, English, German, Hungarian, Polish, Turkish

Stars:
Tom Hanks
Rebecca Williams
Sally Field
Michael Conner Humphreys
Harold Herthum

Plot:
Forrest Gump is the movie triumph that became a phenomenon. Tom Hanks gives an astonishing performance as Forrest, an everyman whose simple innocence comes to embody a generation. The winner of six Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Director (Robert Zemeckis) and Best Actor (Tom Hanks).

Awards:
Academy Award1994WonBest ActorTom Hanks
Academy Award1994NominatedBest Art DirectionRick Carter (Art Direction); Nancy Haigh (Set Decoration)
Academy Award1994NominatedBest CinematographyDon Burgess
Academy Award1994WonBest DirectorRobert Zemeckis
Academy Award1994WonBest Film EditingArthur Schmidt
Academy Award1994NominatedBest MakeupDaniel C. Striepeke, Hallie D'Amore, Judith A. Cory
Academy Award1994NominatedBest Music, Original ScoreAlan Silvestri
Academy Award1994WonBest PictureWendy Finerman, Steve Tisch, Steve Starkey (Producers)
Academy Award1994NominatedBest SoundRandy Thom, Tom Johnson, Dennis Sands, William B. Kaplan
Academy Award1994NominatedBest Sound Effects EditingGloria S. Borders, Randy Thom
Academy Award1994NominatedBest Supporting ActorGary Sinise
Academy Award1994WonBest Visual EffectsKen Ralston, George Murphy, Stephen Rosenbaum, Allen Hall
Academy Award1994WonBest Writing, Adapted ScreenplayEric Roth
AFI1994Won100 Years... 100 Cheers (2006)
AFI1994Nominated100 Years... 100 Laughs (2000)
AFI1994Won100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI1994Won100 Years... 100 Movies (2007)
AFI1994Nominated100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
AFI1994Won100 Years... 100 Quotes (2005)"Quote": Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
AFI1994Nominated100 Years... 25 Scores (2005)"Composer": Alan Silvestri
Amanda-prisen1995WonBeste utenlandske spillefilmRobert Zemeckis
American Cinema Editors Awards1995WonBest Edited Feature FilmArthur Schmidt
American Society of Cinematographers Awards1995NominatedOutstanding Achievement in Cinematography in Theatrical ReleasesDon Burgess
BAFTA1994WonAchievement In Special EffectsKen Ralston, George Murphy, Stephen Rosenbaum, Allen Hall, Doug Chaing
BAFTA1994NominatedActor In A Leading RoleTom Hanks
BAFTA1994NominatedActress In A Supporting RoleSally Field
BAFTA1994NominatedAdapted ScreenplayEric Roth
BAFTA1994NominatedCinematographyDon Burgess
BAFTA1994NominatedEditingArthur Schmidt
BAFTA1994NominatedFilmWendy Finerman, Steve Tisch, Steve Starkey, Robert Zemeckis
BAFTA1994NominatedThe David Lean Award For Achievement In DirectionRobert Zemeckis
BMI Film & TV Music Awards1995WonBMI Film Music AwardAlan Silvestri
Casting Society of America Awards1995NominatedBest Casting for Feature Film – DramaEllen Lewis
Cinema Audio Society Awards1995WonOutstanding Achievement in Sound Mixing for a Feature FilmRandy Thom, Tom Johnson, Dennis S. Sands, William B. Kaplan
Directors Guild of America1995WonOutstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion PicturesRobert Zemeckis, Charles Newirth, Bruce Moriarty, Cherylanne Martin, Dana J. Kuznetzkoff
Golden Globe1994WonActor in a Leading Role - DramaTom Hanks
Golden Globe1994NominatedActor in a Supporting RoleGary Sinise
Golden Globe1994NominatedActress in a Supporting RoleRobin Wright Penn
Golden Globe1994WonDirectorRobert Zemeckis
Golden Globe1994NominatedOriginal ScoreAlan Silvestri
Golden Globe1994WonPicture - DramaWendy Finerman, Steve Starkey, Steve Tisch
Golden Globe1994NominatedScreenplayEric Roth
MTV Movie Awards1995NominatedBest Male PerformanceTom Hanks
MTV Movie Awards1995NominatedBest Movie
National Board of Review Awards, USA1994WonBest ActorTom Hanks
National Board of Review Awards, USA1994WonBest Film
National Board of Review Awards, USA1994WonBest Supporting ActorGary Sinise
Saturn1994NominatedBest ActorTom Hanks
Saturn1994NominatedBest DirectorRobert Zemeckis
Saturn1994WonBest Fantasy Film
Saturn1994NominatedBest MusicAlan Silvestri
Saturn1994NominatedBest Special EffectsKen Ralston, ILM
Saturn1994WonBest Supporting ActorGary Sinise
Saturn1994NominatedBest Supporting ActressRobin Wright Penn
Saturn1994NominatedBest WritingEric Roth
Screen Actors Guild Award1994NominatedBest Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting RoleRobin Wright Penn
Screen Actors Guild Award1994NominatedBest Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting RoleSally Field
Screen Actors Guild Award1994WonBest Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading RoleTom Hanks
Screen Actors Guild Award1994NominatedBest Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting RoleGary Sinise
Screen Actors Guild Award1995NominatedOutstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting RoleRobin Wright Penn
Screen Actors Guild Award1995NominatedOutstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting RoleSally Field
Screen Actors Guild Award1995WonOutstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading RoleTom Hanks
Screen Actors Guild Award1995NominatedOutstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting RoleGary Sinise
Writers Guild of America Awards1995WonBest Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or PublishedEric Roth
Young Artist Awards1995NominatedBest Performance by a Young Actor Co-Starring in a Motion PictureMichael Conner Humphreys
Young Artist Awards1995WonBest Performance by an Actor Under Ten in a Motion PictureHaley Joel Osment
Young Artist Awards1995WonBest Performance by an Actress Under Ten in a Motion PictureHanna Hall

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Screen Tests
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I always liked this movie. I haven't seen it for years, but I had the urge to watch it now, after I recently watched "My Name Is Khan" at the cinema, which reminded me a little of Forrest Gump.
The time flies by with this film and it never gets boring.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 22, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »

Title: The Office: Season Five
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 608 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Steve Carell
Rainn Wilson
John Krasinski
Jenna Fischer

Plot:
Scranton's most outrageous workforce is back to give their clients the business in the fifth hilarious season of The Office. Join obnoxious regional manager Michael Scott (Steve Carell) and his fellow paper pushers Dwight (Rainn Wilson), Jim (John Kransinski), Pam (Jenna Fischer) and Ryan (B.J. Novak) as they steal customers, frame co-workers, indulge in intra-office love affairs and just plain behave badly while a documentary film crew captures their every word and misdeed. Developed for American television by Primetime Emmy Award-winner Greg Daniels, The Office: Season Five features 26 uproarious episodes – including two one-hour specials, exclusive commentaries, webisodes, deleted scenes and more in a sidesplitting five-disc collection no true fan of The Office can afford to miss!

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes
Trailers
Webisodes

My Thoughts:
I have had this season lying around for a few months now but for some reason never was in the mood to watch it. I finally came around to it and I enjoyed it very much. I watched the complete season in just three evenings.
Though the fake documentary style is the charm of the series, but it is still getting more and more unbelievable. The things the characters say in their interview segments, it is like they do not think the others will watch it when it airs. Maybe they are contracted to not watch it :laugh:
Also the camera people seem to be everywhere, but they never get into each other shots.

What I really like is, that after they got Pam and Jim finally together, they didn't do what other series would try to do and break them up again. Their relationship is still going strong and is getting stronger from episode to episode.
The new receptionist introduced in the last few episodes is also showing potential and what I have read she is part of the next season's cast.

#EpisodeRating
01Weight Loss
02Business Ethics
03Baby Shower
04Crime Aid
05Employee Transfer
06Customer Survey
07Business Trip
08Frame Toby
09The Surplus
10Moroccan Christmas
11The Duel
12Prince Family Paper
13Stress Relief
14Lecture Circuit Part 1
15Lecture Circuit Part 2
16Blood Drive
17Golden Ticket
18New Boss
19Two Weeks
20Dream Team
21Michael Scott Paper Company
22Heavy Competition
23Broke
24Casual Friday
25Café Disco
26Company Picnic

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 23, 2010, 11:39:31 PM »

Title: Na Tum Jaano Na Hum
Year: 2002
Director: Arjun Sablok
Rating: PG
Length: 159 Min.
Audio: Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Saif Ali Khan
Hrithik Roshan
Esha Deol
Alok Nath
Smita Jaykar

Plot:
God works in strange ways. He makes us aware of the important people in our life - our parents, grandparents, friends. But the one person who will matter most in our life - the one we will love and cherish - He keeps secret from us.
Only He knows! And only He decides when and how he will tell us.
Who we will fall in love with? Who will fall in love with us?
Na Tum Jaano Na Hum is the story of Akshay, Rahul and Esha.
Three beautiful people dreaming of that one special person.
Three young hearts with but one unfulfilled longing.
Three souls that yearn to be touched by the magical wand of love.
Three innocents in a fix, floundering on the complicated path of love.
Only he knows the ending. Only he holds the key to their happiness.
For only he knows.Na Tum Jaano Na Hum.

Awards:
Extras:
Bonus Trailers
Interviews
Music Videos
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I wasn't expecting much of this movie, but I really enjoyed it. A nice love triangle story. Rahul and Esha are corresponding via letters which each other and fall in love. But both of them does not know anything about the other. No name, no address. Then one day Rahul's best friend's marriage is arranged. As it turns out, the bride is Esha. Now Rahul has to step aside for his best friend, who also fell in love with Esha.
This is one of those movies which I can only recommend to people who already like Bollywood movies. It will not win over new fans. I also enjoyed the songs in this one.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 24, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »

Title: The Other End of the Line
Director: James Dodson
Rating: FSK-0
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

Stars:
Jesse Metcalfe
Shriya Saran
Larry Miller
Anupam Kher
Sara Foster

Plot:
True love is calling, but you never know whom you'll find on The Other End Of The Line! When a beautiful customer-service operator in India falls for a charming American executive over the telephone, they're in for a serious case of mistaken cultural identity. With a penchant for all things American and a heart full of dreams, Priya (Shriya Saran) flies to San Francisco to meet her destiny, and it looks like love at first sight. Now Priya and Granger (Jesse Metcalfe) must risk everything for true love in this delighful and heartwarming romantic comedy for the global era.

Awards:
Extras:
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A fun little movie. It seems that it is mandatory, that in a movie about an Indian family clashing with the western world, Anupam Kher is to play the Indian father (he also was in "Bend It Like Beckham" and "Bride & Prejudice").
Though the male lead comes off a little unlikable in the beginning, he turns out to be okay. The Indian female lead is beautiful and charming.

Rating:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:14:44 AM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 25, 2010, 12:55:38 PM »

Title: Monsoon Wedding
Year: 2001
Director: Mira Nair
Rating: 15
Length: 109 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Naseeruddin Shah
Lillete Dubey
Shefali Shetty
Vijay Raaz
Tilotama Shome

Plot:
An exuberant family drama set in Mira Nair's beloved Punjabi culture, where ancient tradition and dot-com modernity combine in unique and perfect harmony.

As the romantic monsoon rains loom, the extended Verma family reunites from around the globe for a last-minute arranged marriage in New Delhi.

Monsoon Wedding traces five intersecting stories, each navigating different aspects of love as they cross boundaries of class, continent and morality. The film celebrates a contemporary India never seen before.

Awards:
BAFTA2001NominatedFilm Not In The English LanguageCaroline Baron, Mira Nair
British Independent Film Awards2002WonBest Foreign Independent Film - Foreign Language
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2003NominatedBest Foreign-Language Film
European Film Awards2001NominatedScreen International European Film Award (non-European)
Golden Globe2001NominatedForeign Film
Satellite Awards2003NominatedBest Motion Picture – Foreign Language

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
As soon the movie started, I was reminded of "Rachel Getting Married". It has a similar style and theme. The cinematographer is even the same in both movies. Looking at a few reviews on the internet, "Rachel Getting Married" is even often compared to this movie.
Personally I enjoyed this one more. I liked the characters more.

Rating:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 25, 2010, 10:09:30 PM »
Title: Monsoon Wedding
Personally I enjoyed this one more. I liked the characters more.

The only movie by Mira Nair I have seen is Hysterical Blindness (2002), also a collaboration with cinematographer Declan Quinn. It stars Uma Thurman in what I consider her best performance, but it is a truly uncomfortable and difficult viewing experience. Demme himself named Susanne Bier's Efter brylluppet (DK 2006, AKA After the Wedding) as an inspiration for Rachel Getting Married.
Matthias

kahless

« Reply #689 on: June 25, 2010, 10:23:40 PM »
A long time ago I've watched "Mississippi Masala" with Mira Nair as director and Denzel Washington as actor. I have to admit that I was not really convinced of this movie. I was missing something - hard to say what exactly!  :shrug:

Salaam Bombay! is a more famous movie of her, but so far I have never watched it!  :-[