Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858525 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #660 on: June 01, 2010, 12:29:36 AM »
Thanks. I ordered Black and Fanaa. :thumbup:

Good choices :)
Black stars Rani Mukherji, my favorite Bollywood actress, in one of her best roles. It also stars another Bollywood regular, Amitabh Bachchan.
Fanaa stars Kajol, another favorite of mine. She is also starring in "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge". Fanaa also stars Aamir Khan. If you like him here, then I recommend to check out "Ghajini", in which he also stars.

I hope I can read some Bollywood reviews here soon  ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 01, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »

Title: Love Aaj Kal
Year: 2009
Director: Imtiaz Ali
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 123 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hindi: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Saif Ali Khan
Deepika Padukone
Rishi Kapoor
Rahul Khanna
Florence Brudenell-Bruce

Plot:
After Break up with Meera pandit, Jai Vardhan Singh tries to be stable on his strategy of Love, but Veer Singh tries to keep him on while recollecting his Love life at his age.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest ActorSaif Ali Khan
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest ActressDeepika Padukone
Filmfare Awards2010WonBest Choreography"Chor Bazaari": Bosco-Caesar
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest DialogueLove Aaj Kal
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest DirectorImtiaz Ali
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest Film
Filmfare Awards2010WonBest Lyricist"Aaj Din Chadheya": Irshad Kamil
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest Music DirectorPritam Chakraborty
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest Playback Singer - Female"Chor Bazaari": Sunidhi Chauhan
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest Playback Singer - Male"Aaj Din Chadya": Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest ScreenplayLove Aaj Kal
Filmfare Awards2010NominatedBest StoryLove Aaj Kal

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Music Videos
Poster
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed the scenes in the past. I thought that love story was more fun. But I also came to like the present, after I got over Saif Ali Khan's character being rather unlikable. The music was also good.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 03, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »

Title: Om Shanti Om
Year: 2007
Director: Farah Khan
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 162 Min.

Stars:
Shah Rukh Khan
Deepika Padukone
Arjun Rampal
Kirron Kher

Plot:
In the 1970s, Om, an aspiring actor, is murdered, but is immediately reincarnated into the present day. He attempts to discover the mystery of his demise and find Shanti, the love of his previous life.

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2008NominatedBest Actor AwardShah Rukh Khan
Filmfare Awards2008NominatedBest Actress AwardDeepika Padukone
Filmfare Awards2008NominatedBest Director AwardFarah Khan
Filmfare Awards2008WonBest Female Debut AwardDeepika Padukone
Filmfare Awards2008NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2008NominatedBest Music Director AwardVishal Shekhar
Filmfare Awards2008WonBest Special Effects Award
Filmfare Awards2008NominatedBest Supporting Actor AwardShreyas Talpade
IIFA Awards2008WonBest LyricistJaved Akhtar

Extras:
Scene Access
Commentary

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed it. At first I was tending to give one rating lower, but the second half was great fun.

This movie has some great Bollywood parodies. When they were doing the Filmfare awards and are showing the best actor's entries, they make a fun parody of the Dhoom film series (Annoucer: "Dhoom 5: Now without Abhishek Bachchan" - Abhishek Bachchan: "WHAT!?"). Shah Rukh Khan's character's two entries have they title based on real Shah Rukh Khan movies.
And as far as I can see, all of Bollywood's A-list makes a cameo in this movie.

Rating:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:15:07 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 04, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »

Title: Bend It Like Beckham
Year: 2002
Director: Gurinder Chadha
Length: 108 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Parminder Nagra
Keira Knightley
Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Anupam Kher
Archie Panjabi

Plot:
Of East Indian origin of the Sikh faith, the Bhamra family have been settled in Great Britain for several years. They have two daughters, Pinky and Jessminder. While Pinky is in the process of getting married, Jessminder is preparing to play football - which is not acceptable to her parents. But Jessminder knows she is good at the sport, and she does receive considerable encouragement. Her parents are clearly uncomfortable with their daughter running around in shorts, chasing a big ball, instead of being clad in a traditional salwar khameez, and learning to cook East Indian recipes. Jessminder must now decide what's important for her. To make matters worse, a football tournament is arranged on the very day of her sister's marriage. Will Jessminder be able to play, or will her dreams be shattered?

Awards:
American Cinema Editors Awards2004NominatedBest Edited Feature Film – Comedy or MusicalJustin Krish
BAFTA2002NominatedThe Alexander Korda Award For The Outstanding British Film Of The YearDeepak Nayar, Gurinder Chadha
British Independent Film Awards2002NominatedBest British Independent Film
British Independent Film Awards2002NominatedMost Promising NewcomerParminder Magra
Empire Magazine Awards2003NominatedBest British ActressKeira Knightly
Empire Magazine Awards2003NominatedBest NewcomerParminder Nagra
Empire Magazine Awards2003NominatedSky Movies Best British Film
European Film Awards2002NominatedEuropean Film
European Film Awards2002NominatedThe People's Choice Award for Best European ActressParminder Nagra
Golden Globe2003NominatedPicture - Musical or ComedyGurinder Chadha, Deepak Nayar
National Board of Review Awards, USA2003WonSpecial Recognition
Online Film Critics Society Awards2004NominatedBest Breakthrough PerformanceKeira Knightley
Satellite Awards2004NominatedBest Actress in a Supporting Role – Comedy or MusicalShaheen Khan
Satellite Awards2004NominatedBest Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Writers Guild of America Awards2004NominatedBest Original ScreenplayGurinder Chadha, Paul Mayeda Berges, Guljit Bindra

Extras:
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Production Notes
Rezept Aloo-Gobi
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I haven't watched this move for a while. I still enjoy it very much. This was the first movie I saw Keira Kneightley in, and it is still my favorite performance by her (granted, I haven't seen many movies with her). Parminder Nagra also did a great job. The only other thing I saw her in is as a minor role in "Ella Enchanted" (I never watched ER).
Originally it was supposed to feature a lesbian romance between Jess and Jules, but the producers chickened out. But there still is a hilarious subplot where Jules' mother thinks those two are in a relationship.

I have this movie in my Bollywood category in my collection, because it is directed by an Indian born director (who also directed "Bride & Prejudice) and has a big Indian cast. Now that I have watched it after watching some real Bollywood movies, I still think it belongs in that category. It has a real Bollywood movie feel to it.
Jess' father is played by Anupam Kher, a famous Bollywood actor I already saw in a bunch of movies. I almost didn't recognize him here, because he is playing a Sikh this time around.

Rating:

kahless

« Reply #664 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »
I like that movie!  :thumbup:

When I watched it the first time, I was not aware that this is supposed to be a bollywood film!  :D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »
When I watched it the first time, I was not aware that this is supposed to be a bollywood film!  :D

It isn't. But it is for me. It's just that the director is Indian and brings a lot of Indian flair into it.

Najemikon

« Reply #666 on: June 04, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
In that case, have you seen East Is East?

Also, the director of Bend It Like Beckham has done a lot of other British/Indian films.

kahless

« Reply #667 on: June 04, 2010, 10:03:20 PM »

It isn't. But it is for me. It's just that the director is Indian and brings a lot of Indian flair into it.

I think it is not very easy to make a clear definition of a bollywood movie. Maybe it's the music?! I have some movies (e.g. Naresuan) what could be categorized as bollywood if there would be more music.  :shrug:

Anyway - a good movie does not require a category!  ;D

kahless

« Reply #668 on: June 04, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »

Also, the director of Bend It Like Beckham has done a lot of other British/Indian films.

She also directed Bride & Prejudice. A really nice movie!  :thumbup:

Liebe lieber indisch

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:19:27 PM by kahless »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 04, 2010, 10:17:44 PM »
I think it is not very easy to make a clear definition of a bollywood movie.

It is very easy, if you take the official definition: Movies produced in Mumbai (formerly known as Bombay) are Bollywood movies. There are other movie industries in India. These wouldn't be called Bollywood movies.
So I am stretching the definition very far, when I even include movies produced in UK  ;)

kahless

« Reply #670 on: June 04, 2010, 10:20:40 PM »
I agree! Thanks for clarification!  :thumbup:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 04, 2010, 10:25:23 PM »
No, I only heard of it.
Now that would be stretching the term Bollywood further, if I include British movies with Pakistanis in the main focus. And featuring Urdu and not Hindi as a language  :P

Yes. As I mentioned, she did "Bride & Prejudice" which I also reviewed here. And I have "What's Cooking?" in my unwatched pile. I tried to watch it a few years ago but couldn't get through it. I will have to give it another chance some day. This movie would be for my lesbian movie marathon.

Najemikon

« Reply #672 on: June 04, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
True, but it's clear that you would enjoy the British style of comedy, so the extension is valid. East Is East is at least (horrible sentence!) an extension of the same culture clash you enjoyed in Bend It.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 09, 2010, 06:56:52 PM »

Title: Chak De! India
Year: 2007
Director: Shimit Amin
Length: 143 Min.

Stars:
Shahrukh Khan
Vidya Malvade
Tanya Abrol
Chitrashi Rawat
Arya Menon

Awards:
Filmfare Awards2008WonBest Actor AwardShah Rukh Khan
Filmfare Awards2008WonBest Cinematographer AwardSudhip Chatterjee
Filmfare Awards2008NominatedBest Director AwardShimit Amin
Filmfare Awards2008WonBest Editing AwardAmitabh Shukla
Filmfare Awards2008NominatedBest Movie Award
Filmfare Awards2008NominatedBest Supporting Actress AwardShilpa Shukla
Filmfare Awards2008WonCritics Award for Best Movie
IIFA Awards2008WonBest ActorShah Rukh Khan
IIFA Awards2008WonBest DirectorShimit Amin
IIFA Awards2008WonBest Movie

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I guess I first have to stress the fact, that there are no song and dance numbers in this one. Seems to be important for some people  :P
If you enjoy movies about underdog sports teams, I think you will enjoy this one. It's about the Indian national women's hockey team. Interesting about it are the difficulties they are facing. For one thing they have to fight for their place because in India women are not supposed to be playing hockey but are supposed to be housewives. The other big issue is, that these women come from different parts of India. Not only do the character clash, but the trainer also has to deal with the cultural prejudices the team members have against each other. So the movie is more serious than similar movies I know.
Shah Rukh Khan stars as the trainer. He did a great job. He plays it rather low key, which is not something I know SRK to do.
I am usually do not like to watch sports games, but I have to admit that I was on the edge of my seat in the final match of this movie.

Rating:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:15:40 PM by Tom »

kahless

« Reply #674 on: June 09, 2010, 08:07:10 PM »

Title: Chak De! India

A perfect review, Tom!  :thumbup: (as usual  ;))

Due to the fact that this movie does not contain the typical bollywood ingredients (such as a lot of music, dancing and romance) I think this movie could be a kind of missing link to other movies for all people who are a little bit concerned about watching bollywood movies!  :)