Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858564 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #630 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:14 AM »

Title: Mean Girls
Year: 2004
Director: Mark Waters
Rating: PG
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 3, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Lindsay Lohan
Rachel McAdams
Tina Fey
Tim Meadows
Amy Poehler

Plot:
Raised in the African bush country by her zoologist parents, Cady (Lindsay Lohan) thinks she knows all about the "survival of the fittest." But the law of the jungle takes on a whole new meaning when the home-schooled 15-year-old enters public high school for the first time. Trying to find her place among the jocks, mathletes and other subcultures, Cady crosses paths with the meanest species of all - the Queen Bee, aka the cool and calculating Regina (Rachel McAdams), the leader of the school's most fashionable clique, The Plastics. When Cady falls for Regina'a ex-boyfriend, though, the Queen Bee is stung - and she schemes to ruin Cady's social future. Cady's own claws soon come out as she leaps into a hilarious "Girl World" war that has the whole school runnig for cover. Co-starring and written by Saturday Night Live's Tina Fey, Mean Girls is "Viciously Funny!"

Awards:
BMI Film & TV Music Awards2005WonBMI Film Music AwardRolfe Kent
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2005NominatedBest Young ActressLindsay Lohan
MTV Movie Awards2005WonBest Female PerformanceLindsay Lohan
MTV Movie Awards2005WonBest On-Screen TeamLindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Lacey Chabert, Amanda Seyfried
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBest VillainRachel McAdams
MTV Movie Awards2005WonBreakthrough Female PerformanceRachel McAdams
Teen Choice Awards2004WonChoice Breakout Movie Star - FemaleLindsay Lohan
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Breakout Movie Star - FemaleRachel McAdams
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Breakout Movie Star - MaleJonathan Bennett
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie - Comedy
Teen Choice Awards2004WonChoice Movie Actress - ComedyLindsay Lohan
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie Actress - ComedyRachel McAdams
Teen Choice Awards2004WonChoice Movie BlushLindsay Lohan
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie BlushRachel McAdams
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie ChemistryLindsay Lohan, Jonathan Bennett
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie Fight/Action Sequence
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie Hissy FitRachel McAdams
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie LiarLindsay Lohan
Teen Choice Awards2004NominatedChoice Movie SleazebagRachel McAdams
Writers Guild of America Awards2005NominatedBest Adapted ScreenplayTina Fey

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I have been meaning to rewatch this one for a while now. After watching "The Time Traveler's Wife" I noticed, that Rachel McAdams also had a big role in "Mean Girls" I felt now is the right time to watch it.
This is an above average High School comedy. There are also a lot of familiar faces. Tina Fey of course. Also "Lily" from Veronica Mars is here playing a dumb blonde. And of course hot Lizzy Caplan, who I first knew from the really short-lived "The Pitts".

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 25, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »

Title: Batman Begins
Year: 2005
Director: Christopher Nolan
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 134 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Arabic, English, German, Hebrew, Icelandic

Stars:
Christian Bale
Michael Caine
Liam Neeson
Katie Holmes
Gary Oldman

Plot:
In 'BATMAN BEGINS', acclaimed director Christopher Nolan explores the origins of the legendary DARK KNIGHT. In the wake of his parents' murders, disillusioned heir BRUCE WAYNE (CHRISTIAN BALE) travels the world seeking the means to fight injustice and turn fear against those who prey on the fearful. With the help of his trusted butler ALFRED (MICHAEL CAINE), detective JIM GORDON (GARY OLDMAN) and his ally LUCIUS FOX (MORGAN FREEMAN), Wayne returns to GOTHAM CITY and unleashes his alter ego: BATMAN, a masked crusader who uses strength, intellect and an array of high-tech weaponry to fight the sinister forces that threaten the city.

Awards:
Academy Award2005NominatedBest CinematographyWally Pfister
American Society of Cinematographers Awards2006NominatedOutstanding Achievement in Cinematography in Theatrical ReleasesWally Pfister
Art Directors Guild Production Design Awards2006NominatedFeature Film – Period or Fantasy Film
ASCAP Awards2006WonTop Box Office FilmsJames Newton-Howard, Hans Zimmer, Ramin Djawadi (additional music)
BAFTA2005NominatedAchievement In Special Visual EffectsJanek Sirrs, Dan Glass, Chris Corbould, Paul Franklin
BAFTA2005NominatedProduction DesignNathan Crowley
BAFTA2005NominatedSoundDavid Evans, Stefan Henrix, Peter Lindsay
British Society of Cinematographers Awards2005NominatedBest Cinematography AwardWally Pfister
Costume Designers Guild Awards2006NominatedExcellence in Costume Design for Film – FantasyLindy Hemming
Empire Magazine Awards2006NominatedBest ActorChristian Bale
Empire Magazine Awards2006NominatedBest DirectorChristopher Nolan
Empire Magazine Awards2006NominatedBest Thriller
Golden Raspberry Awards2005NominatedWorst Supporting ActressKatie Holmes
Hugo Award2006NominatedDramatic Presentation, Long Form
MTV Movie Awards2006WonBest HeroChristian Bale
MTV Movie Awards2006NominatedBest Movie
MTV Movie Awards2006NominatedBest VillainCillian Murphy
Online Film Critics Society Awards2006NominatedBest Original ScoreJames Newton-Howard, Hans Zimmer
Saturn2005WonBest ActorChristian Bale
Saturn2005NominatedBest CostumeLindy Hemming
Saturn2005NominatedBest DirectorChristopher Nolan
Saturn2005WonBest Fantasy Film
Saturn2005NominatedBest MusicJames Newton-Howard, Hans Zimmer
Saturn2005NominatedBest Special EffectsJanek Sirrs, Dan Glass, Chris Corbould, Paul J. Franklin
Saturn2005NominatedBest Supporting ActorLiam Neeson
Saturn2005NominatedBest Supporting ActressKatie Holmes
Saturn2005WonBest WritingChristopher Nolan, David Goyer
Scream Awards2006NominatedBest Comic-to-Screen Adaption
Scream Awards2006WonBest DirectorChristopher Nolan
Scream Awards2006NominatedBest Fantasy Movie
Scream Awards2006WonBest Scream-PlayDavid S. Goyer, Christopher Nolan
Scream Awards2006NominatedBest Sequel
Scream Awards2006NominatedBest SuperheroChristian Bale
Scream Awards2006NominatedMost Heroic PerformanceChristian Bale
Scream Awards2006NominatedMost Vile VillianCillian Murphy
Scream Awards2006NominatedThe "Holy Sh%t!" / "Jump-from-your-Seat" Award"The Train Sequence"-Scene
Scream Awards2006WonThe Ultimate Scream
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Summer Movie
Teen Choice Awards2006NominatedMovies - Choice SleazebagCillian Murphy
Visual Effects Society Awards2006NominatedOutstanding Created Environment in a Live Action Motion PictureAlex Wuttke, Pete Bebb, Dayne Cowan, Imery Watson (For the Gotham City monorail chase)
World Soundtrack Awards2005NominatedBest Original Soundtrack of the YearJames Newton-Howard, Hans Zimmer

Extras:
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers
US-Comic-Buch mit 3 Batman-Stories

My Thoughts:
This movie moved the franchise in the right direction. I like the "realistic" approach this movie takes with Batman. Though I never warmed up to the villains in this movie. I don't like Scaregrow, and I really didn't like Liam Neeson's character. He is the cause that the movie slowed down too much in some places. Especially in the beginning. Also his masterplan to destroy Gotham City is ridiculous.
High points in this movie are for me all scenes with Morgan Freeman's Fox or Gary Oldman's Gordon.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 25, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »
I also really enjoyed Morgan Freeman as Fox.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 25, 2010, 11:04:41 PM »

Title: Rachel Getting Married
Year: 2008
Director: Jonathan Demme
Rating: 15
Length: 113 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles: Commentary, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Hindi, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Sebastian Stan
Roslyn Ruff
Anne Hathaway
Bill Irwin
Anna Deavere Smith

Plot:
When Kym (Anne Hathaway) returns to the Buchman family home for the wedding of her sister Rachel (Rosemarie DeWitt), she brings a long history of personal crisis, family conflict and tragedy along with her. The wedding couple's abundant party of friends and relations have gathered for a joyful weekend of feasting, music and love, but Kym – with her biting one-liners and flair for bombshell drama – is a catalyst for long-simmering tensions in the family dynamic. Filled with the rich and eclectic characters that remain a hallmark of Jonathan Demme's films, RACHEL GETTING MARRIED paints a heartfelt, perceptive and sometimes hilarious family portrait.

Awards:
Academy Award2008NominatedBest ActressAnne Hathaway
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest Acting EnsembleAnne Hathaway, Rosemarie DeWitt, Debra Winger, Anna Deavere Smith, Bill Irwin, Mather Zickel, Anisa George
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009WonBest ActressAnne Hathaway
Golden Globe2008NominatedActress in a Leading Role - DramaAnne Hathaway
National Board of Review Awards, USA2008WonBest ActressAnne Hathaway
Satellite Awards2008NominatedBest Actress – DramaAnne Hathaway
Satellite Awards2008WonBest Actress in a Supporting RoleRosemarie DeWitt
Screen Actors Guild Award2008NominatedOutstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading RoleAnne Hathaway

Extras:
BD-Live
Bonus Trailers
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
First of all, I don't like the camera work. It is shaky hand-held throughout. I am sick of those. I know they are going for a more "realistic" feel, but for me movie-makers going this route are just too cheap to use a steady-cam or a dolly setup. "Shaky-cam" just lets you never forget, that you are watching a movie. I can understand it when there is supposed to be a documentary crew there (like in "The Office") and the characters acknowledge there is someone standing there with a camera.
Also the family drama was just not for me. It was like watching a reality show, where we have to watch some uninteresting people doing their stuff.
Anne Hathaway was great though. But even she could not save this movie for me.

Rating:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:20:36 PM by Tom »

snowcat

« Reply #634 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »
Rachel Getting Married, is one of those films that I found boring and had I not been watching it with someone who was really into it... Id have turned it off.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 26, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
Rachel Getting Married, is one of those films that I found boring and had I not been watching it with someone who was really into it... Id have turned it off.

After the first ten minutes I almost turned it off, but as I paid good money for the Blu-ray and as Matthias has been raving about this movie, I wanted to give it a chance.

Najemikon

« Reply #636 on: April 26, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
...and as Matthias has been raving about this movie, I wanted to give it a chance.

:-X

I jest. I was actually intrigued by Matthias' comments and liked the clips, so I've got it on my rental list at least...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 26, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »

Title: Matilda
Year: 1996
Director: Danny DeVito
Rating: PG
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish

Stars:
Mara Wilson
Danny DeVito
Rhea Perlman
Embeth Davidtz
Pam Ferris

Plot:
From the best-selling author Roald Dahl and the unique vision of Danny DeVito comes Matilda, a modern day fairy tale that mixes hilarious humour with the magical message of love. Matilda Special Edition is packed with brand new special features for lots of fun and entertainment!

'Mrs. Doubtfire's' Mara Wilson stars as Matilda, a super-smart little girl who's woefully misunderstood by her parents (Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman), her brother, and an evil school principal. But with the help of a brave best friend and a wonderful teacher, Matilda discovers she doesn't have to get mad to get even.

Awards:
Satellite Awards1997NominatedBest Supporting Actor – Comedy or MusicalDanny DeVito
Saturn1996NominatedBest Younger ActorMara Wilson
Young Artist Awards1997NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film – Leading Young ActressMara Wilson
Young Artist Awards1997NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film – Supporting Young ActressKira Spencer Hesser
YoungStar Awards1997WonBest Performance by a Young Actress in a Comedy FilmMara Wilson

Extras:
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Interactive Game
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A very enjoyable movie. Mara Wilson (who I know from the remake of "Miracle on 34th Street") did a really good job in the title role. Also Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman are great as the neglectful parents of Matilda. Embeth Davidtz as Miss Honey reminded me of Geena Davis in Stuart Little.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #638 on: April 26, 2010, 11:43:34 PM »
Honestly, no word of a lie, I think Matilda is one of the very best children's films of all time, or at the very least of recent times. I don't think anyone has quite captured Roald Dahl's wonderful style as well as Danny Devito. The screwed up fairytale, genuinely scary villains, awful and outrageous things happening to cute children that cause nightmares for the nanny state political correctness mob, plus a healthy dose of sentimentality; I bloody love it! :thumbup:

"I'm big, you're little; you're wrong, I'm right!" :hysterical:

I especially appreciate it's message to love books and learning and not watch so much telly. I know there's irony in that statement, but sod it. ;D

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 27, 2010, 12:16:05 AM »
I especially appreciate it's message to love books and learning and not watch so much telly. I know there's irony in that statement, but sod it. ;D

I had a similar thought while watching the movie. Here I was sitting in front of my television and the movie was telling me to rather read a book. But then I thought that at least I am watching a good movie while the characters were watching some kind of stupid game show hosted by Jon Lovitz.  ;D

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 27, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
Rachel Getting Married

After the first ten minutes I almost turned it off, but as I paid good money for the Blu-ray and as Matthias has been raving about this movie, I wanted to give it a chance.

Sorry. It should be clear by now from a number of similar cases that me raving about it probably means you won't like it.
Matthias

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 27, 2010, 05:12:38 PM »
It should be clear by now from a number of similar cases that me raving about it probably means you won't like it.

I didn't want to say it  :P

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 02, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »

Title: Billy Madison
Year: 1995
Director: Tamra Davis
Rating: FSK-6
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Adam Sandler
Darren McGavin
Bridgette Wilson
Bradley Whitford
Josh Mostel

Plot:
He's the heir to the Madison Hotel millions but in order to win his father's respect, and his Fortune 500 company, grown-up, goof-off Billy must repeat all 12 grades of school - in just 24 weeks! Comedy Superstar Adam Sandler stars with beautiful Bridgette Wilson in this laugh-a-minute hit where the subject is always fun! Featuring songs by Electric Light Orchestra, The Jackson 5, The Cars, Culture Club, The Ramones and Styx.

Awards:
MTV Movie Awards1995NominatedBest Comedic PerformanceAdam Sandler

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I thought I'd check out this movie again if it really is as bad as Pete recently wrote, or closer to what I remember it being. For me it is still about the same as when I saw it years ago. It had a few good parts and bad parts. I have never enjoyed the juvenile beginning, and I never enjoyed the stupid end. But I enjoy the middle part of the movie. I always thought it a fun idea to have Billy repeat all twelve school years, with two weeks for each grade. He really did fit into elementary school. And the high school part started interested. Sadly the movie then chose to go into another direction which prematurely stopped the high school part. It would have been much more interesting to follow him through high school and him trying to fit in there.
As for the love interest: She is really hot, but her falling in love with him just did happen much too fast. One minute she couldn't stand him. The next time she is seducing him. The school trip scene is what supposedly changed her view of him. But it would have been better if it would have only been a starting point from where she gradually gets to know him better, instead of her making a move on him the very next day.
Overall I am glad it wasn't as bad as I had feared I would think of the movie this time around.

Rating:

karmesinrot

« Reply #643 on: May 05, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
We used to watch either Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison nearly every Friday in school and I always thought Billy was the funnier of the two  :P

Najemikon

« Reply #644 on: May 06, 2010, 12:38:33 AM »
That's not a great ad for Happy Gilmore... :tease: