Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858470 times)

snowcat

Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #570 on: January 02, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »

So, whos up for a villain change

Electro? Scorpion?

....Carnage :bag:

Najemikon

« Reply #571 on: January 02, 2010, 03:44:37 PM »
Kraken! Was that his name? Hunter bloke...

Rogmeister

« Reply #572 on: January 02, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »
Jon, you got the name nearly right but I believe it's Kraven with a "v".  How about The Scorpioin?   Or Medusa with the crazy hair?  She was a villainous when she first appeared...I remember she was also a member of the Frightful Four at one time.  Or since it looks like there won't be anymore Fantastic Four movies, how about bringing in The Human Torch in a crossover movie?  :P

snowcat

« Reply #573 on: January 02, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »
Kraken! Was that his name? Hunter bloke...

Kraven the hunter?

snowcat

« Reply #574 on: January 02, 2010, 03:57:44 PM »
The vilains id really like to see are

Hob Goblin, The Lizard, Mysterio, Shocker, The King Pin (lets forget Daredevil happened :P) Spider-man has some great enemies!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #575 on: January 02, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »
The King Pin (lets forget Daredevil happened :P)

I thought that "Daredevil: Director's Cut" is a good movie. I enjoy it. The theatrical cut is bad though.

Najemikon

« Reply #576 on: January 02, 2010, 04:04:39 PM »
Kraven! Thank you, Roger. I should have known. I still have my first comic which was a one-off special with Spidey being hunted by the Sinister Six and they all took their turns weakening him. X-Men and F4 also appeared I seem to remember.

They could bring Spidey into the X-Men movies. They already did actually, but the scene was cut...

(click to show/hide)

snowcat

« Reply #577 on: January 02, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »
Haha, I remember that on the DVD Jon.

I think they could make a nice Spider-man crossover but its never gonna happen :p

...How long have they been talking about that Batman and Superman movie?

...Of course I personally would love to see a Dark Claw movie (anyone see the Amalgam comics?) Batman and Wolverine.... what else could a girl (or a guy)` ask for?   :P

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 04, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »

Title: South Park: Season Twelve
Year: 2008
Director:
Rating: FSK-16
Length: 310 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: German: Dolby Digital Stereo, English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Dutch, English, German

Plot:
All fourteen uncensored episodes from South Park's twelfth season are now available in this exclusive three-disc set. In this colection, South Park follows the new president-elect from is acceptance speech to his first official duty as Commander in Chief. The boys keep busy helping a pop princess who's down on her luck, negotiating a truce for striking Canadians, and preventing giant rodents from destroying the world. For them, it's all part of growing up in South Park!

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I always felt that South Park got better and better with each season. But this season is a bit of a let-down. Seems like they are running out of steam a little bit.
My favorites in this season are the episode were Wendy challenges Cartman to a fight and he tries to get out of it, and the two-parter "Pandemic", which is a great Cloverfield parody with giant guinea pigs attacking. I think they did a great job with the hand-held camera "footage".
The episode "Elementary School Musical" makes me a little bit curious to watch the "High School Musical" movies, to see if they are really that bad :laugh:

#EpisodeRating
01Tonsil Trouble
02Britney's New Look
03Major Boobage
04Canada On Strike
05Eek, a Penis!
06Over Logging
07Super Fun Time
08The China Problem
09Breast Cancer Show Ever
10Pandemic
11Pandemic 2: The Startling
12About Last Night...
13Elementary School Musical
14The Ungroundable

snowcat

« Reply #579 on: January 04, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
I to think that this season was a little dire but then I did not like Imagination Land either, and that was the end of season 11.

I haven't watched any of 13 as im buying it on DVD but Ive been told it was better then season 12.. I hope so.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 07, 2010, 11:53:18 PM »

Title: Kujibiki Unbalance: The Collection
Year: 2006
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 375 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English

Stars:

Plot:
Chihiro has always had rotten luck in life. But at the prestigious Rikkyouin Academy, where everything is decided by drawn lot, or kujibiki, he finds his luck changing when he draws the lot for student council president. He and his harem of student council candidates undergo a year-long, impossible apprenticeship under the current ruling body, which happens to be led by one of Chihiro's childhood friends. The road to success is filled with zany misadventures, innocent romances, and a wild humor that is sure to please.

Each disc includes an episode of Genshiken!

Extras:
Commentary
Genshiken OVAs
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Originally this was a fictional series in the Genshiken series. Then they re-imagined it and made a real series out of it. I bought this one, because it includes three additional Genshiken episodes, which bridges the first and second season of Genshiken. It introduces my favorite Genshiken character Ogiue.
The Kujibiki Unbalance series is nothing which I can really recommend. It had some fun scenes and episodes, but overall I can recommend this set only to fans of Genshiken to have that anime series completed. The Genshiken episodes are great!

Kujibiki Unbalance
#EpisodeRating
01Everyone Gets Surprised at School. 7 pts.
02You Have to be Able to Keep Promises. 2 pts.
03Siblings Are a Pain. 6 pts.
04Want to Hang Out Sunday? 5 pts.
05Friends Might Change. 1 pt.
06I Swear I'll Keep It a Secret. 8 pts.
07I'll Listen to My Superiors. 4 pts.
08I've Forgotten About the Past. 7 pts.
09The Fireworks Looked Pretty. 5 pts.
10Though We Look For It, It's Not There. 3 pts.
11Stumbling In the Dark. 0 pts.
12Let's Make Our Dream Come True. 9 pts.

Genshiken OVA
#EpisodeRating
01My Name is Ogiue and I Hate Otaku
02I Am From the Planet Otaku
03Then I'll Undress You!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 09, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »

Title: Journey to the Center of the Earth
Director: Eric Brevig
Rating: PG
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Brendan Fraser
Josh Hutcherson
Anita Briem
Seth Meyers
Jean-Michel Paré

Plot:
Brendan Fraser stars in this action-packed adventure based on the Jules Verne classic that is sure to deliver fun for the whole family! On a hunch to find the center of the earth, Trevor Anderson (Fraser), his nephew and their tour guide make a breakthrough discovery that launches them on a thrilling journey into the unknown. On a scramble to find their way back, the group travels through a never-before-seen world, encountering creatures and objects never imagined. Whether in 3-D with glasses or in 2-D, get close to the action, engage your sense of wonder and take your own journey to the center of the earth!

Awards:
BMI Film & TV Music Awards2009WonBMI Film Music AwardAndrew Lockington
Scream Awards2008NominatedBest Remake
Teen Choice Awards2008NominatedChoice Summer Movie: Action Adventure
World Soundtrack Awards2009NominatedDiscovery of the YearAndrew Lockington
Young Artist Awards2009NominatedBest Performance in a Feature Film – Leading Young ActorJosh Hutcherson

Extras:
2D and 3D versions of the film.
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
You can clearly see, that the plot is merely an excuse to use as many 3D effects as possible. Without the 3D effects, this movie is not worth watching.
The 3D effects themselves are good, but suffer from the home theatre 3D technology. Though I did enjoy them.
The brain is a funny thing. It gets accustomed to the color filters to make some sense of the colors it sees. After I have taken off the glasses after the movie, each eye did still see in different colors if I closed the other eye. A few minutes after the movie, one eye still saw everything in green, the other in red. Both together have seen everything normally. I never would have noticed this, if my brother hadn't pointed it out to me.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 09, 2010, 08:40:04 PM »

Title: Tropic Thunder: Director's Cut
Director: Ben Stiller
Rating: 15
Length: 121 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Commentary, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Ben Stiller
Robert Downey Jr.
Jack Black

Plot:
Go deeper intoTropic Thunder with this extended version of the hit film, packed with more action, more comedy, and more madness than ever before.

When three of Hollywood's biggest stars head into the jungles of Vietnam to shoot a war movie, they have no idea how real things can get. Starring Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder is the most unexpected and controversial movie of the year.

Awards:
Academy Award2008NominatedBest Supporting ActorRobert Downey, Jr.
American Cinema Editors Awards2009NominatedBest Edited Feature Film – Comedy or MusicalGreg Hayden
BAFTA2008NominatedBest Supporting ActorRobert Downey, Jr.
BMI Film & TV Music Awards2009WonBMI Film Music AwardTheodore Shapiro
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009WonBest Comedy Movie
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards2009NominatedBest Supporting ActorRobert Downey, Jr.
Golden Globe2008NominatedActor in a Supporting RoleRobert Downey, Jr.
Golden Globe2008NominatedActor in a Supporting RoleTom Cruise
MTV Movie Awards2009NominatedBest WTF Moment"Tasting Decapitated Head": Ben Stiller
Satellite Awards2008NominatedBest Actor in a Supporting RoleRobert Downey, Jr.
Satellite Awards2008NominatedBest Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Screen Actors Guild Award2008NominatedOutstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting RoleRobert Downey, Jr.
Teen Choice Awards2009NominatedChoice Movie - Bromantic Comedy
Teen Choice Awards2009NominatedChoice Movie Actor - ComedyBen Stiller
Teen Choice Awards2009NominatedChoice Movie Hissy FitRobert Downey Jr
World Stunt Awards2009NominatedBest Stunt Coordinator and/or 2nd Unit DirectorBrad Martin, Phil Neilson
Young Artist Awards2009WonBest Performance in a Feature Film – Supporting Young ActorBrandon Soo Hoo

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
MTV Movie Awards Viral Video; BD-Live; Digital Copy.
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I have seen this movie in the theatres. I remembered it being much more fun. I still enjoyed, but just not as much as the last time. Maybe it is because of the director's cut. I had the feeling it dragged in too many scenes.
Robert Downey Jr did a really great job though. Jack Black though was underused and not used in the right way. His drug-addicted character was just too much of a one-joke character.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 09, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »

Title: Drawn Together: Season Three
Year: 2006
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 308 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:

Plot:
All the blood, puke and boobs you love are back for the third and final season of Drawn Together. The dirtiest, deadliest, sexiest, and funkiest Drawn Together season ever features MORE animated blood, MORE animated vomit, and MORE animated nipples. Watch as Captain Hero tortures his 12-year-old self, Ling-Ling gets put into foster care, and Toot finally gets worshipped as the cow she is. It's what happens when cartoon characters stop being real and start being animated.

Awards:
Extras:
Closed Captioned
Trailers

My Thoughts:
It has been awhile since I saw the first two seasons, but I remember them being much more fun. It feels like they were doing the same jokes over and over again and were just trying to outgross themselves each time.
I enjoyed the Muppet Babies parody though. One of the reasons I didn't really enjoy it is, that Toots gets too much screentime. It is the one character I do not enjoy at all. Her sole purpose seems to be make jokes about her ugly body (which was still somewhat funny in season 1, but now is really tired) and the voice of hers just gets on my nerve.

#EpisodeRating
01Greeks and Freaks
02Wooldoor Sockbat's Giggle-Wiggle Funny Tickle Non-Traditional Progressive Multicultural Roundtable!
03Spelling Applebee's
04Unrestrainable Trainable
05N.R.A vs. Ray
06Mexican't Buy Me Love
07Lost in Parking Space: Part I
08Lost in Parking Space: Part II
09Drawn Together Babies
10Nipple Ring-Ring Goes to Foster Care
11Foxxy and the Gang Bang
12Breakfast Food Killer
13Charlotte's Web of Lies
14The Elimination Special: Part II: The Elimination

snowcat

« Reply #584 on: January 09, 2010, 09:01:31 PM »
Aparantley a Drawn Together movie is being released in April, I have only seen Season 1 so I may have to catch up before I watch it.