Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858593 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #555 on: December 27, 2009, 07:14:07 PM »

Title: It's a Boy Girl Thing
Year: 2006
Director: Nick Hurran
Rating: 12
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Samaire Armstrong
Kevin Zegers
Sherry Miller
Robert Joy
Sharon Osbourne

Plot:
IT'S A BOY GIRL THING is a hilarious body-swap comedy in the style of BIG and 13 GOING ON 30 and is the story of Nell and Woody; teen rivals that love nothing more than to hate one another. Enemies in school, and next-door neighbours at home, the pair inexplicably wake one morning to find they have swapped bodies. At first, they're disturbed by the occurrence, but with a little thought, it's not long before they're in school and tarnishing each others' reputations. Devoting so much time and attention to each other has never been as much fun for Nell and Woody, and they soon discover that love can stem from the strangest of plantings.

Awards:
Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
An OK film. The body-swapping has been done much better in the past. The actors are not all that good at portaying being the different sex. As a matter of fact there were not all that good portraying their characters in their own bodies. I thought that the girl was behaving much more naturally, while the boy was inside of her.
It is your average teen rom-com. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 29, 2009, 12:51:58 AM »

Title: The Time Tunnel: Volume Two
Year: 1966
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 769 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:

Plot:
FROM THE CREATIVE GENIUS OF IRWIN ALLEN ("Lost in Space," "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno) COMES ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR AND ORIGINAL SCI-FI SHOWS OF THE 1960s!

Determined to prove that Project Tic Toc was capable of sending humans through time, Dr. Tony Newman and Dr. Doug Phillips entered the project's time tunnel before final tests were completed. Now, caught in time and unable to return home, the two scientists battle to stay alive as the Vortex of Time thrusts them into the middle of some of the most significant events in world history. But even more important, as the time travelers encounter famous and influential people of the past, they must make sure their actions don't inadvertently change history and alter the future.

Extras:
2002 Unaired TV Pilot
Closed Captioned
Interviews
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Time Travelers TV Movie

My Thoughts:
I finally have finished the second volume of this series. I didn't enjoy this volume as much as the first volume. The reason is, that a lot of boring (obscure historic events), fantastical (aliens) and mystic (Merlin, Robin Hood, Roman gods) story lines were in this volume.

The unaired 2002 pilot was interesting to watch, but it is not unbelievable that the series got not picked up. The TV movie "Time Travelers" is one to miss. Not really interesting.

#EpisodeRating
16The Revenge of Robin Hood
17Kill Two by Two
18Visitors From Beyond the Stars
19The Ghost of Nero
20The Walls of Jericho
21Idol of Death
22Billy the Kid
23Pirates of Deadman's Island
24Chase Through Time
25The Death Merchant
26Attack of the Barbarians
27Merlin the Magician
28The Kidnappers
29Raiders from Outer Space
30Town of Terror

#EpisodeRating
012002 Unaired Pilot
02Time Travelers

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 29, 2009, 01:34:28 AM »
This is disappointing... I haven't gotten to vol. 2 yet. But I been enjoying vol. 1! I did however watch and enjoyed the 2002 unaired pilot more then you. I would have loved to of seen more of it!
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 30, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »

Title: X2
Year: 2003
Director: Bryan Singer
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 128 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German

Stars:
Patrick Stewart
Hugh Jackman
Ian McKellen
Halle Berry
Famke Janssen

Plot:
Mutant continue their struggle against a society that fears and distrusts them. Their cause becomes even more desperate following an incredible attack by an as yet undetermined assailment possessing extraordinary abilities. The shocking attack renews the political and public outcry for a Mutant Registration Act and an anti-mutant movement now led by William Stryker, a wealthy former Army Commander who is rumored to have experimented on mutants. Stryker's 'mutant' work is somehow tied to Logan's mysterious and forgotten past. As Wolverine searches for clues to his origin, Stryker puts into motion his anti-mutant program - launching an attack on Xavier's mansion. Magneto, newly escaped combat their common and formidable enemy: Stryker. With the fates of Xavier, mankind - and mutant kind - in their hands, the X-Men face their most dangerous mission ever.

Awards:
BMI Film & TV Music Awards2004WonBMI Film Music AwardJohn Ottman
Hugo Award2004NominatedDramatic Presentation, Long Form
MTV Movie Awards2004NominatedBest FightHugh Jackman vs. Kelly Hu
MTV Movie Awards2004NominatedBest KissShawn Ashmore, Anna Paquin
MTV Movie Awards2004NominatedBest Movie
MTV Movie Awards2004WonBreakthrough MaleShawn Ashmore
Online Film Critics Society Awards2004NominatedBest Visual Effects
Saturn2003NominatedBest CostumesLouise Mingenbach
Saturn2003NominatedBest DirectorBryan Singer
Saturn2003NominatedBest MakeupGordon Smith
Saturn2003NominatedBest MusicJohn Ottman
Saturn2003WonBest Science Fiction Film
Saturn2003NominatedBest Special EffectsMike Fink, Richard Hollander, Stephen Rosenbaum, Mike Verzina
Saturn2003NominatedBest WritingDaniel Harris, Michael Dougherty
Saturn2002NominatedCinescape Genre Face of the Future - MaleShawn Ashmore
Teen Choice Awards2003NominatedChoice Movie - Drama/Action Adventure
Teen Choice Awards2003NominatedChoice Movie Actor - Drama/Action AdventureHugh Jackman
Teen Choice Awards2003NominatedChoice Movie Actress - Drama/Action AdventureHalle Berry, Rebecca Romijn
Teen Choice Awards2003NominatedChoice Movie ChemistryAnna Paquin, Shawn Ashmore
Teen Choice Awards2003NominatedChoice Movie Fight/Action Sequence
Teen Choice Awards2003NominatedChoice Movie LiarRebecca Romijn
Teen Choice Awards2003NominatedChoice Movie VillainBrian Cox, Ian McKellen

Extras:
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Multi Angle
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I haven't watched this movie since I first got it on DVD, even though I think it is the best of the X-Men movies. The first one was too much of a Wolverine show. This one also focus a lot on him, but not as much. This movie has some great action and never drags for a minute. I really enjoyed this movie, even though I am not big on the X-Men in general (though I must admit, I only know them from the movies).

Rating:

snowcat

« Reply #559 on: December 30, 2009, 10:33:29 PM »
 love the X-men comics and I have to admit as cliché as it is Wolverine is one of my favourite characters.

I think all the films were Wolverine films just appeal to that Cliché :p although I did enjoy them!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 01, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »

Title: Spider-Man
Year: 2002
Director: Sam Raimi
Length: 116 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German, Trivia, Turkish

Stars:
Tobey Maguire
Willem Dafoe
Kirsten Dunst
James Franco
Cliff Robertson

Plot:
From Columbia Pictures Presents, A Marvel Enterprises/Laura Ziskin Production, Spider-Man is a live-action feature of one of the world's most popular comic book superheroes. Directed by Sam Raimi, Spider-Man centers on student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) who, after being bitten by a genetically-altered spider, gains superhuman strength and the spider-like ability to cling to any surface. He vows to use his abilities to fight crime, coming to understand the words of his beloved Uncle Ben: 'With great power comes great responsibility.'

Awards:
Academy Award2002NominatedBest SoundKevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Ed Novick
Academy Award2002NominatedBest Visual EffectsJohn Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara, John Frazier
Anatomy Awards2003WonBest PokiosityKirsten Dunst
BAFTA2002NominatedAchievement In Special Visual EffectsJohn Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony Lamolinara, John Frazier
BMI Film & TV Music Awards2003WonBMI Film Music AwardDanny Elfman
Casting Society of America Awards2002NominatedBest Casting for Feature Film – ComedyFrancine Maisler, Lynn Kressel
Cinema Audio Society Awards2003NominatedOutstanding Sound Mixing for Motion PicturesKevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Ed Novick
Empire Magazine Awards2003WonBest ActressKirsten Dunst
Empire Magazine Awards2003NominatedBest DirectorSam Raimi
Empire Magazine Awards2003NominatedBest Film
Grammy Awards2003NominatedBest Score Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual MediaDanny Elfman
Grammy Awards2003NominatedBest Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media"Hero": Chad Kroeger
Hugo Award2003NominatedDramatic Presentation, Long Form
MTV Movie Awards2003WonBest Female PerformanceKirsten Dunst
MTV Movie Awards2003WonBest KissTobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst
MTV Movie Awards2003NominatedBest Male PerformanceTobey Maguire
MTV Movie Awards2003NominatedBest Movie
MTV Movie Awards2003NominatedBest VillainWillem Dafoe
Online Film Critics Society Awards2003NominatedBest Visual EffectsDanny Cangemi, John Frazier, John Dykstra
Satellite Awards2003NominatedBest Film EditingEric Zumbrunnen
Satellite Awards2003NominatedBest Visual EffectsJohn Dykstra
Saturn2002NominatedBest ActorTobey Maguire
Saturn2002NominatedBest ActressKirsten Dunst
Saturn2002NominatedBest DirectorSam Raimi
Saturn2002NominatedBest Fantasy Film
Saturn2002WonBest MusicDanny Elfman
Taurus Award2003NominatedBest FightChris Daniels, Zach Hudson, Kim Kahana Jr., Johnny Nguyen, Mark Wagner
Teen Choice Awards2002WonFilm - Choice Actor, Drama/Action AdventureTobey Maguire
Teen Choice Awards2002NominatedFilm - Choice Actress, Drama/Action AdventureKirsten Dunst
Teen Choice Awards2002NominatedFilm - Choice ChemistryKirsten Dunst, Tobey Maguire
Teen Choice Awards2002WonFilm - Choice Lip LockTobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst
Teen Choice Awards2002WonFilm - Choice Movie, Drama/Action Adventure
World Soundtrack Awards2002NominatedBest Original Soundtrack of the Year – OrchestralDanny Elfman
World Stunt Awards2003NominatedBest FightChris Daniels, Zach Hudson, Kim Kahana Jr., Johnny Nguyen, Mark Wagner
Young Artist Awards2003NominatedBest Family Feature Film – Fantasy

Extras:
Commentary
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Music Videos
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Spinnen-Sinn
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I was in the mood for a superhero movie again. I haven't watched this one for a while. At time I thought the movie was really great. In my opinion it was one of the main reasons, that in the last decade superhero movies became again quite popular and a lot of great such movies were made. I still like it, but it is now overshadowed by some other great movies.
Willem Dafoe did a great job as Norman Osborn. Tobey Maguire somehow fits as Spider-Man. I never really cared for Kirsten Dunst as MJ, but this doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movie.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 02, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »

Title: Spider-Man 2
Year: 2004
Director: Sam Raimi
Length: 122 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Commentary, English, German, Trivia, Turkish

Stars:
Tobey Maguire
Kirsten Dunst
James Franco
Alfred Molina
Rosemary Harris

Plot:
Two years have passed, and the mild-mannered Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) faces new challenges as he struggles to balance his life as the elusive superhero Spider-Man. Tormented by his secrets, Peter is in danger of losing all those that he holds dear. His love for MJ (Kirsten Dunst) becomes stronger and his friendship with Harry Osborn (James Franco) is complicated by the young Osborn's bitterness over his father's death. These relationships are now in danger of unravelling when he confronts a new nemesis, the brilliant Otto Octavius, (Alfred Molina) who has been reincarnated as the multi-tentacled 'Doc Ock.'

Awards:
Academy Award2004NominatedBest Sound EditingPaul Ottosson
Academy Award2004NominatedBest Sound MixingKevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Jeffrey J. Haboush, Joseph Geisinger
Academy Award2004WonBest Visual EffectsJohn Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara, John Frazier
AFI2003Nominated100 Years... 100 Cheers (2006)
American Film Institute Awards2004WonMovie of the Year
BAFTA2004NominatedAchievement In Special Visual EffectsJohn Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony La Molinara, John Frazier
BAFTA2004NominatedSoundPaul Ottosson
BMI Film & TV Music Awards2005WonBMI Film Music AwardDanny Elfman
Cinema Audio Society Awards2005NominatedOutstanding Achievement in Sound Mixing for Motion PicturesJoseph Geisinger, Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Jeffrey J. Haboush
Empire Magazine Awards2005NominatedBest ActorTobey Maguire
Empire Magazine Awards2005NominatedBest ActressKirsten Dunst
Empire Magazine Awards2005WonBest DirectorSam Raimi
Empire Magazine Awards2005NominatedBest Film
Hugo Award2005NominatedDramatic Presentation, Long Form
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBest Action Sequence
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBest Movie
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBest Video Game Based on a Movie
MTV Movie Awards2005NominatedBest VillainAlfred Molina
Satellite Awards2005NominatedBest Actor in a Supporting Role – DramaAlfred Molina
Satellite Awards2005NominatedBest CinematographyBill Pope, Anette Haellmigk
Satellite Awards2005NominatedBest Film EditingBob Murawski
Satellite Awards2005NominatedBest Original ScoreDanny Elfman
Satellite Awards2005NominatedBest Sound (Editing & Mixing)Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Jeffrey J. Haboush, Joseph Geisinger, Paul Ottosson, Susan Dudeck
Satellite Awards2005NominatedBest Visual EffectsJohn Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara, John Frazier
Saturn2004WonBest ActorTobey Maguire
Saturn2004WonBest DirectorSam Raimi
Saturn2004WonBest Fantasy Film
Saturn2004NominatedBest MusicDanny Elfman
Saturn2004WonBest Special EffectsJohn Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara, John Frazier
Saturn2004NominatedBest Supporting ActorAlfred Molina
Saturn2004WonBest WritingAlvin Sargent
Taurus Award2005WonBest Overall Stunt by a ManChris Daniels, Michael Hugghins
Taurus Award2005NominatedBest Specialty StuntTim Storms, Garrett Warren, Susie Park, Patricia M. Peters, Norb Phillips, Lisa Hoyle, Kevin L. Jackson, Clay Donahue Fontenot
Taurus Award2005NominatedBest Work with a VehicleTad Griffith, Richard Burden, Scott Rogers, Darrin Prescott, Mark Norby
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice Movie Bad GuyAlfred Molina
Teen Choice Awards2004WonChoice Movie of the Summer
Visual Effects Society Awards2005NominatedBest Single Visual Effect of the YearJohn Dykstra, Lydia Bottegoni, Dan Abrams, John Monos (For the clock tower)
Visual Effects Society Awards2005WonOutstanding Compositing in a Motion PictureColin Drobnis, Greg Derochie, Blaine Kennison, Ken Lam (For the train sequence)
Visual Effects Society Awards2005WonOutstanding Created Environment in a Live Act on Motion PictureDan Abrams, David Emery, Andrew Nawrot, John Hart (For the NYC street, night)
Visual Effects Society Awards2005WonOutstanding Performance by an Actor or Actress in a Visual Effects FilmAlfred Molina
Visual Effects Society Awards2005NominatedOutstanding Special Effects in Service to Visual Effects in a Motion PictureJohn Frazier, James D. Schwalm, James Nagle, David Amborn
Visual Effects Society Awards2005NominatedOutstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects Driven Motion PictureJohn Dykstra, Lydia Bottegoni, Anthony LaMolinara, Scott Stokdyk
World Stunt Awards2005WonBest Overall Stunt by a ManChris Daniels, Michael Hugghins
World Stunt Awards2005NominatedBest Specialty StuntTim Storms, Garrett Warren, Susie Park, Patricia M. Peters, Norb Phillips, Lisa Hoyle, Kevin L. Jackson, Clay Donahue Fontenot
World Stunt Awards2005NominatedBest Work with a VehicleTad Griffith, Richard Burden, Scott Rogers, Darrin Prescott, Mark Norby

Extras:
Commentary
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Multi Angle
Music Videos
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
One of the best superhero movies. I enjoy it even better than the first one. Also the CGI Spidey is much more convincing in this movie.

Rating:

snowcat

« Reply #562 on: January 02, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »
I think Spider-man 2 is the best of the three films. I was looking forward to Spider-man 4, but it looks like its already in trouble

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Spider-Man-4-In-Trouble-16191.html

I quite like the Vulture :/

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 02, 2010, 01:46:51 PM »
I will not be watching the third movie next. It hasn't been long enough since I last saw it (it isn't a movie which I can watch again and again). But you can find my review here.

Rogmeister

« Reply #564 on: January 02, 2010, 01:59:18 PM »
Emma, it's interesting you like Spidey 3 the best...someone else told me it wasn't as good as the others.  I haven't seen it myself yet and don't have the DVD but it's been cropping up on one of the cable channels I get so I've been thinking of checking it out.  Finding the time and checking in advance when the next airing is has been my problem so far...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 02, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »
Emma, it's interesting you like Spidey 3 the best...someone else told me it wasn't as good as the others.

She said that she likes Spidey 2 the best ;)
And she's right: It is the best of the three.

Rogmeister

« Reply #566 on: January 02, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
Oops, sorry...my failing eyesight thought she'd written Spidey 3...never mind...  ::)

snowcat

« Reply #567 on: January 02, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »
Roger if you have seen the other two and liked them Id recommend watching 3 to complete the story... whilst its not a great film, its ok and worth watching if only once.

Rogmeister

« Reply #568 on: January 02, 2010, 02:40:38 PM »
Thanks, Emma.  I have seen the first Spider-Man a couple of times including the first time in a theater.  Surprisingly enough, thopugh I own a DVD of it, I still haven't seen the second Spider-Man either.  So I'll try to catch it first.  Spider-Man 3 will always crop up on cable now, I  assume, so there's no hurry to see that one.

Najemikon

« Reply #569 on: January 02, 2010, 02:53:58 PM »
I think Spider-man 2 is the best of the three films. I was looking forward to Spider-man 4, but it looks like its already in trouble

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Spider-Man-4-In-Trouble-16191.html

I quite like the Vulture :/

Oh dear! Empire reported about a week before that about casting for the Vulture and they said there was trouble brewing over the Black Cat character and Raimi was going with a sidekick for the Vulture called "Vulturess", which is possibly the worst name ever for a villain. If ever there was a good reason to put everything on hold, it's asking Anne Hathaway to play a part with a name like that!

Empire News