Author Topic: Robin Hood (2010)  (Read 4769 times)

Halo2

Robin Hood (2010)
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
I went to see Robin Hood this past Saturday. If you go to expecting a classic tale of Robin Hood and his band of merry men living in Sherwood Forest, robbing the rich and giving to the poor, you will be disappointed. This story takes place before that period.

I enjoyed the movie. Good action scenes and good chemistry between Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett.

While I found the part about his father writting the Magna Carta and his presenting it to the King a bit outside of the lore of Robin Hood, it did fit well within the storyline.

Overall, the movie had the feel of a prequel. As if Ridley Scott is setting the groundwork for a sequel in the next year or two to complete, or perhaps, advance the storyline.

I'd rate this film at 3½ Stars.

Najemikon

Re: Robin Hood (2010)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:52:35 PM »
First comments I've read not including the line "Gladiator with bows"!  :laugh:

I want to see it, though the furore about Crowe's accent is disappointing (literally sounded Irish in one clip they played), and why do they have to come up with crap about the Magna Carta?

Still, I like the idea of it being a sort of prequel. Not sure if they should continue with sequels; really not Ridley Scott's thing anyway. But the rest of the story is so well known, it's superfluous, surely.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:12:22 PM »
I have seen the trailer of the movie and I am not curious at the slightest to watch this movie.

I have seen two reviews (from youtube channels I have started following), one of which loves this movie, the other one hates it.

Postive review:

Negative review:

Critter

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:03:20 AM »
I will of course not judge this film until I see it but frankly, being a real archer I am already sick of it. Archery clubs now like to put forward the image that we are a real sport, I mean we are in the olympics. Everytime someone hears about archery though you bet that they will jump to the whole 'Robin Hood' stereotype. This film is annoying my club in particular as the local newspapers have been doing articles about us, saying how excited we all are for the film and how many new members we will get becuase of it. The truth is we probably will get new members but we are getting members for what the sport of archery is today... not from Robin Hood time. If anyone wants to dress up in medievil clothing and shoot longbows in our club then we automatically send them away to another club we know of where the people actually do that.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:34:16 AM »
I'm still not sure about this one, but I'll probably see it at some point.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:40:05 AM »
I will of course not judge this film until I see it but frankly, being a real archer I am already sick of it. Archery clubs now like to put forward the image that we are a real sport, I mean we are in the olympics. Everytime someone hears about archery though you bet that they will jump to the whole 'Robin Hood' stereotype. This film is annoying my club in particular as the local newspapers have been doing articles about us, saying how excited we all are for the film and how many new members we will get becuase of it. The truth is we probably will get new members but we are getting members for what the sport of archery is today... not from Robin Hood time. If anyone wants to dress up in medievil clothing and shoot longbows in our club then we automatically send them away to another club we know of where the people actually do that.
FWIW, the reviews I have heard all point out that this film has very little of the typical archery-trickery...

Has anyone heard the interview(s) with Russel Crowe on 5Live? He talked to Kermode and Mayo and the following week they played an interview with another guy (forgot the name). In the original interview Crowe had to be bleeped out repeatedly, as he was swearing at Kermode for an article that had been written for Romper Stomper many years ago; according to Kermode that wasn't actually his article, he just happened to work for the same magazine at the time. Then in the second interview the guy pointed out the accent ("is it Irish") which got Crowe mad. He ultimately talked rather agressively which made the interviewer's voice sound rather scared. Then one ironic question abouit an older film came up (unfortunately I forgot) and Crowe walked out :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
I heard the clip. I believe the interviewer may have been Mark Lawson. He's a far more serious, intellectual reviewer and after hearing the clip, I'm tempted to think he honestly considered that Crowe was aiming to give Robin some Irish heritage. Crowe just took offence.

The irony is, he did sound Irish. Apparently in the film, it wavers somewhat and covers a huge area! It's supposed to be my neck of the woods (or forest, if you prefer ;)) which is East Midlands and he missed by a few hundred miles!  :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:51:41 PM »
Yes! I believe Mark Lawson was the name.

Mark (Kermode, not Harrison) actually thought the accent was all over the place and for a few moments actually tried to argue that it may have been done on purpose (Robin having been traveling and all...) or the fact that movies are filmed out of sequence. Eventually it was back to Crowe just having messed it up. :shrug:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
I heard the clip. I believe the interviewer may have been Mark Lawson. He's a far more serious, intellectual reviewer and after hearing the clip, I'm tempted to think he honestly considered that Crowe was aiming to give Robin some Irish heritage. Crowe just took offence.

The irony is, he did sound Irish. Apparently in the film, it wavers somewhat and covers a huge area! It's supposed to be my neck of the woods (or forest, if you prefer ;)) which is East Midlands and he missed by a few hundred miles!  :laugh:

Where's Henry Higgins when you need him? :laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »
This reminds me of the same situation back when Kevin Costner's Robin Hood movie came out.  People joked that he was working on his accent while filming the movie.  :tease:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
Somebody just posted this over at the BPR forum, it's pretty funny...

(click to show/hide)

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 09:59:26 PM »
That's great! But I clicked on it, because, you know, being from Nottingham, I've grown up knowing the Robin Hood story inside out and upside down. I didn't expect to not recognise it. I mean, I know it's a "prequel" and all that to the real story, but still. That ain't Robin Hood.

Tell me half the crap in that guys cartoon isn't what the film is like? Why is it so political?  :shrug:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 10:00:20 PM »
 :hysterical: :hysterical:

Oh my..that was funny.  I had heard that it was going to be a bit different..but all that stuff..sheesh.  Why bother to call it Robin Hood?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 10:58:27 PM »
This sure sounds like the Robin Hood I know since I was little kid. :laugh:
It won't be a surprise, but I will pass on this one (anyway the cartoon is clear enough this isn't Robin Hood at all)