Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: On Demand  (Read 17567 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: On Demand
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »
You should try the original Spanish version, [REC]. I have a review of it on this site, somewhere, but I can't find it! I'm sure I posted it, unless I'm going mad, but it isn't linked... :shrug:
Your [REC] review is listed in the #-section, due to the title beginning with a symbol ;)

May I add my recommendation for [REC]? I haven't seen Quarantine but will make the wild assumption that it lacks behind the original (Jennifer Carpenter might be a reason for me to watch it at least once anyway). My friend saw REC 2 recently (lack of English subtitles forbid me to join, will have to wait for DVD) and thought it was still quite alright.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »
Thanks for the link Achim :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 05:44:37 PM »
Aha! Thank you, sir.  :thumbup:

REC2 is getting mixed, even angry, reviews, but I liked Empire's (can't link, only in the mag at the moment) because they suggested it was quite powerful and clever, goes a bit left-field. Basically, go in expecting more of the same, you'll be a little disappointed. Of course, if those who expect more of the same and get that, may be annoyed that they just got more of the same...  :-X :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 02:00:40 PM »

G-Force
Buckle up for thrilling edge-of-your seat action and laugh-out-loud fun in Disney's family comedy adventure G-Force. Just as the G-Force - an elite team of highly trained guinea pigs - is about to save the world, the F.B.I. shuts the secret unit down. But these next-generation action heroes - Darwin, loyal team leader; Blaster, weapons expert with attitude to spare; Juarez, drop-dead gorgeous martial arts diva; and tag-along Hurley - won't be stopped. Armed with the latest in high-tech spy equipment, and with the F.B.I. on their tails, the fur flies as they race against the clock to save the world. From the producer of the Pirates Of The Caribbean trilogy and National Treasure, and filled with high-octane action, daredevil stunts, cutting edge special effects and outrageous comedy, G-Force is fantastic fun for the whole family.

My Thoughts:
This is a cute little family film. But I do believe the kids will get more enjoyment from this then the adults. Watching this entire movies I didn't get a single chuckle from it. While it might be a nice movie to buy for my daughter... I don't see buying for myself. Pretty much now that I seen it I don't think I would want to see it again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »

The Hangover
They planned a Vegas bachelor party that they would never forget. Now they really need to remember what exactly went down! Whose baby is in the closet of their Caesars Palace suite? How did a tiger get in the bathroom? Why is one of them missing a tooth? And most of all, where is the groom?! What the guys did while partying can't compare to what they must do sober in an outrageous caper that has them piecing together all their bad decisions from the night before - one hazy clue at a time. Director Todd Phillips (Old School) and an all-aces comedy cast bring it big time with unpredictable situations that somehow all fit together. Tie one on with The Hangover.

My Thoughts:
I think the hype of this one got to me a little. I mean it is a good comedy and has a few laughs... but I was just expecting more. Now if you don't like the raunchy type of humor  then I wouldn't recommend buying it blind.... you really should see it first as I normally don't care too much for the really raunchy humor... but this one walks the line pretty good. Over all I was able to enjoy it. I can see myself getting this one at some point in the future. But it is not one I will rush to buy.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 02:25:05 PM »
Well.. this kinda sucks. I said in my first post that one of the ones I was really looking forward to seeing is Terminator Salvation.  I wasn't in the mood for Terminator right away... so I put it off. I looked first thing this morning and it is no longer on On-Demand! I should have checked the end date earlier.
Pete

Critter

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 02:29:26 PM »
What exactly is this 'On-Demand'?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »
On-Demand is a cable service that allows you to watch what you want when you want to watch it (as long as it is offered). You basically pick your selection from the menu and download the movie to your cable box. Once you select it... it plays almost immediately once you select it... so I would imagine it is still downloading as you are watching the movie/TV Show. There is many On-Demands. Some are free, some are Pay-Per-View and some are Subscription (i.e. Get an on demand service for each Premium channel you subscribe to).

The ones I have access to (excluding pay-per-views)

Free:
- On-Demand (basic)
- Encore On-Demand (comes with the extended digital package)
- FEARnet (All Horror)

Subscription:
- HBO On-Demand
- Showtime On-Demand
- Starz On-Demand
- Cinemax On-Demand
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »

Drag Me To Hell
Christine Brown (Alison Lohman) is on her way to having it all: a devoted boyfriend (Justin Long), a hard-earned job promotion, and a bright future. But when she's forced to make a tough decision that evicts an elderly woman from her house, Christine becomes the victim of an evil curse. Now she has only three days to dissuade a dark spirit from stealing her soul before she is dragged to hell for an eternity of unthinkable torment. Director Sam Raimi (Spider-Man and The Evil Dead Trilogy) returns to the horror genre with a vengeance in the film that critics rave is "the most crazy, fun and terrifying horror movie in years!" (Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly)

My Thoughts:
OK... this one I enjoyed. Though some of it was gag-worthy. Not gory mind you... just the idea of some of this stuff was pretty stomach turning disgusting. I do have to say the ending was pretty predictable.... but even though I seen it coming I still enjoyed watching it. This is not a movie for serious scares. It is more the "just fun to watch" type of entertainment. I will say that I kinda missed Bruce Campbell (or did I actually just miss him?) in this one... as he usually does at least a guest appearance in most all Raimi movies I have seen so far. It is one I will definitely have to see about adding to my collection before too long.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »
I thought same as you, Pete. Predictable, but fun and the worst bits weren't even scary stuff (false teeth!). I'm sure Campbell wasn't in this one.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »

17 again
If you somehow had the chance, would you do your life over? Thirtysomething Mike O'Donnell would. Then one mysteriously magical moment, Mike gets his chance. He's suddenly back at Hayden High where he's the star of the basketball team, a total hottie and a classmate to his own teenage kids...which gives Mike a chance to go from not-so-good dad to really cool friend. Zac Efron (Hairspray, High School Musical  Movies) and Matthew Perry (Friends) are 17 Again and fabulously funny as the younger and older Mike in a good-time time-warp comedy that proves the best year of your life is the one you're living right now.

My Thoughts:
I can't say I was all that impressed with this one. I mostly wanted to watch it for Matthew Perry who I liked on Friends and Michelle Trachtenberg who I liked on both Buffy and Mercy. She is at an age, and has a look... where she can pull off the look of a teen or a young adult in their early to mid 20s. The subject to this movie has been done so many times that it is pretty tired... so it is pretty hard to pull off any more. And unfortunately this one just didn't do it for me. I don't see myself adding this one to my collection at all.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 01:04:52 AM »
Pete,

I really enjoyed Angels and Demons.  You may want to give it a whirl.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »
Thanks Hal... I was considering that one till I seen someone say it was a sequel.  But I know nothing of it. What is it a sequel to and do I need to see part one first?
Pete

Critter

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 01:14:07 AM »
Pete, it's the sequel to The Da Vinci Code.

hal9g

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 01:16:52 AM »
Pete, it's the sequel to The Da Vinci Code.

Yup, you'd probably want to see Da Vinci first, if you haven't already.